Male HQ

Sewing Enthusiast's Discussion

Guest Homely

16279069990968451052.jpg?w=300&h=211

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

never argue with the guests. let them bark all they want.

结缘不结

不解缘

After I have said what I wanna say, I don't care what you say.

看穿不说穿

Guest Guest

I rmb i absolutely hate sewing during home econs class in sec sch. But love the cooking part.

Anw ts, sewing not sissy, its a skill. My friend dad who do alot of weightlifting can do proper hand sewing. One of my uncles can sew very well too.

Guest victor

Not sewing per see but sewing with a sewing machine (which I don't have) to alter curtains to size. There are small shops doing alterations for clothes but none will do curtains - I have asked around.

BTW, knitting is a good pastime to de-stress if you are travelling a long distance on the train or bus.

Guest Xiao Xi

Not sewing per see but sewing with a sewing machine (which I don't have) to alter curtains to size. There are small shops doing alterations for clothes but none will do curtains - I have asked around.

BTW, knitting is a good pastime to de-stress if you are travelling a long distance on the train or bus.

Ya, it is a problem relying on others to alter your cloth or pants if it is too long.  The best is to gain some knowledge on sewing without relying on others for alteration.   Knitting is nice. I can imagine wrapping around a shawl,  sitting legs crossed in long distant MRT and knitting up a good sweater. I wonder, how other passengers will perceive.

Guest Guest

i had never ever touched any sewing related stuff ever since 14 years old.

always find it dreadful, boring, girly and wasting time. though this is just my personal opinion...

cheer

Guest Guest

Have. At Joo Chiat Complex. That place sells curtains at cheaper prices. They will also do alteration. Pay $$$$. I think is $20

Tanjong katong complex also have. But Joo Chiat complex is cheaper. I think they will collect your alteration job and sub contract to Joo chiat complex to do the job

If u want more upmarket, Ikea & Spotlight also do alterations.

Johor also have. 

See, so many choices for you. 

I won't say I'm into sewing, I'm more into learning how to alter my clothes so that they fit me better. Or making my clothes more tight fitting and flattering on my body. Sewing is one of the components nevertheless.

Tried altering the length and fit of my tank tops and I like the way it looked on me after that. It's as if I bought a new piece of apparel!

Hi there, I for one dread the idea of sewing, it is just too mundane and its pretty much a "working" skill, just like sweeping the floor or washing the dishes, embroidery however, is something that has been on my mind lately, I am a big fan of mmorpgs and hence I totally dug the idea of enchanted embroideries that players sew onto their clothing, i figured that I could give embroidery a try, sadly, I was unable to find the circular mounting device at art friend.. =( ah well. 

Besides embroidery, I do knit as well! but solely includes basic weaves, I would knit balls of yarn at camp with the saf issued pens haha.

Just don't give a damn to people who are dogmatic in their perception of gender-specific activities, they're just conservative. 

58c8af435f3b0_bwbanner.jpg.add74f89662a08c064062b974efe1ce7.jpg

I draw sexy men, visit http://www.toastwire.tumblr.com click on 'My Artworks'. Willing to take on comissions

Guest maxiplay

Yes, I'm into sewing, and I love cross stitching as well, is a gd learning handskills that u should be pound of, u can create ur very own bags, clothing or handcrafts, I have completed 5 projects on handsew bags, 12 projects on cross stitching, and I told ppl, yes, I know to make such things, and ppl they like my works n I feel pound, not a sissy or 東方不敗 stuff,nothing to feel shame about, u know, in Europe, that's guy also making sewing stuff even for business, think another way, those tailors not guy meh? Are they also sissy?

Edited by maxiplay

Guest Needling

Yes, I'm into sewing, and I love cross stitching as well, is a gd learning handskills that u should be pound of, u can create ur very own bags, clothing or handcrafts, I have completed 5 projects on handsew bags, 12 projects on cross stitching, and I told ppl, yes, I know to make such things, and ppl they like my works n I feel pound, not a sissy or 東方不敗 stuff,nothing to feel shame about, u know, in Europe, that's guy also making sewing stuff even for business, think another way, those tailors not guy meh? Are they also sissy?

How long it takes to "master" a project?

Guest maxiplay

How long it takes to "master" a project?

Depend how big is ur project, duration can approx 2- 3 hrs for small design or 20 - 40> hrs for big projects, you can "master" a project from a small design, source can either refer to library under ART section with call number start from 746.xx or download some free chart from website OR design ur own chart by using graph paper, once u have the chart, u can plan your colors, u may start from getting cheaper thread floss from daiso, or dmc from art friends or spotlight. Then fabric can choose from 14 count Aida fabric for beginner, after u finished it, and u want to explore more, can spend a little bit more cash on cross stitching magazine or book to continue discover the fun.

Guest victor

Have. At Joo Chiat Complex. That place sells curtains at cheaper prices. They will also do alteration. Pay $$$$. I think is $20

Tanjong katong complex also have. But Joo Chiat complex is cheaper. I think they will collect your alteration job and sub contract to Joo chiat complex to do the job

If u want more upmarket, Ikea & Spotlight also do alterations.

Johor also have. 

See, so many choices for you. 

Could have been 20 years since I visited Joo Chiat Complex when I was then living nearby. .  I wonder how much has changed.  

I still recall, besides curtains, fabric, carpets and household items, lots of them.  Like a bazaar really.

It's very far for me to revisit but will try for memory's sake. 

• 6 months later...

I started using my mums sewing machine when I was building my wooden ancient war ship. There are sails that need to be sew together. Thereafter I proceed to do some simple alteration of my clothes and pants. I find it useful to know all these skills so that I can alter any clothes to fitting. But after my mum sold away the old sewing machine I am handicap now. Thought of buying an electric one. Anyone has any idea which is reliable ? anyone interested to get together to chat about sewing ?

Oh and pls don't take it as a sissy job, operating a machine actually is a man's job .

sleepy

It's really typical of human beings to categorize activities by gender and I absolutely disagree that sewing is 'sissy'. I sew my own clothes for fun and I wear them out because I'm proud of my work. My friends and even strangers are always impressed when I told them that I do sewing. Not a lot of guys are into sewing so it kinda makes me feel a little special. Plus I think that totally qualifies me to be a house husband already. Haha!

I do encourage more people to take up sewing as a hobby. It's really not difficult to learn because all you need is a machine, fabric cloth and YouTube tutorials. You'll be amazed at what you can achieve! :)

Guys that can sew are pretty damn amazing . Well , it's normal for today's society to stereotype and put certain tasks to certain genders .

I'm an aspiring designer and I still haven't learn how to sew with a machine .__. If anyone could teach me , that'd be a big help .

Guest Happy sewing

I bought my Mom a sewing machine but she did not use it as she was diagnosed with cancer soon after.

She is no longer with us and I made a promise that I will do her proud - I learnt to use it. Now I sew as a hobby and make extra pocket money with the stuff I sew :)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest maxiplay

sewing is easy but making clothes is another league on its own so yup.

always start from small project and slowly move to big like clothing.... see books from library, watch youtube.... hands on sure mastered the basic.

• Guest locked this topic