Male HQ

Open Club  ·  137 members

Gardening

Gardening Enthusiasts

Clickclock

38 minutes ago, Cube3 said:

Find them intriguing, but they need moist, shady habitats with food i.e. insects! ...Would need to water regularly...troublesome, no?

cube

don't worry ...,don't need insects cos they are plants too

but wont they help u out if there r mosquitoes around in the house?

and if u find some dead ants or bugs dropped dead in your area , u may feed them too

don't even need to go and catch

Venus fly trap (VFT) - more so don't need much feeding https://www.flytrapcare.com/venus-fly-trap-growing

The pitcher/nep, u can feed them once a while (if u dont like to use the above mentioned method) using tetra bits, feeds for fish  , water them and then throw inside

http://www.pitcherplant.com/care_sheets/nepenthes_care.html

the media is sphagnum moss usu just keep it wet will do

I sit mine in aircon room but once I m out, there is no aircon till I m back

VFT: water once per day

Neps: u can water more if u like

they would prefer high humidity (Humid environments such as greenhouses, terrariums)

-Many people put their plants outdoors during warm, humid weather.

but I placed them near to my rm's window, so that daily they recd sunlight for about 3 hrs average

Does this sound complex?

I gave them out to kids as xmas present, I don't think kids can manage complicated stuff so they are all managing them fine!

And in some ctries, they even make the  vft grow on a small box (just like a terrarium) , v cute and portable to me, but experts said it is slowly killing them woh

also, there are fb grp in sg which u  could join to seek the expert advices

u may also join ang moh's forum but they may be in temperate ctries https://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/

Start a new hobby for 2018 soon!

any good places to go get carnivorous plants?

"Success has nothing to do with what you Gain or Accomplish for Yourself.
It's What You have Done for Others."
"Development of a country has nothing to do with High Economic Growth Rates,

Its about to what extent have Human Life in the country been Enriched."

By Myself ~~~

On ‎20‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 2:26 PM, bluerunner said:

After the failure of my Gerbera outing (it’s a disaster actually...:redface:), I planted some zinnia from seeds. 

3 weeks on, the seeds started to germinate and seedlings are forming. Hope they will grow up nicely. Fingers and toes crossed. 

all the best! maybe santa and angels will cast some magic on it too

On ‎20‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 5:25 PM, Alson said:

any good places to go get carnivorous plants?

carousell is one good source, search and u have tons of it

once a while those florists in the market might be selling (but most older folks may not like such carnivorous plants and tend to sell common items)

and any shops that does terrariums or such related items could be selling

join the groups in Fb, which I mentioned previously , they often offer discounts and promos in the group

(don't think there is a Line group created for that, goodness someone qn why I do not have a LINE)

hortpark they have a weekly weekend kind of plant sale, did u try?

feel free to have discussion here once u  have got yours!

Never give up is the spirit we hope to cultivate!

but bluerunner, u tend to grow v daisy/sunflower breeds eg the previous gebera and now zinnia

kids cried when pri sch gave them sunflowers seeds and totally nt grown.....

i told them it s touch! 

Mushrooom v ez!!!!& can harvest and make your own soup within 5 days!!!!

In sg, u r spoilt in the trend of vending mach forms (latest trend in sg is all abt vending

teady bears vendg, fd sold by chefs vending too)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sgurbanfarmers/permalink/945884998897714/

Many fb grps eg https://m.facebook.com/groups/1708509019473962

Initially find getting seed to sprouts are easy but after sprouting comes the tough part. Most of what I tried tend to frizzle out over time due to lack of or too much of water or sun. These days even sprouting seeds can be tough due to unpredictable weather conditions. Lately my seeds left out on a tray of moist cotton bed just dried up by the evening if I didn't have time to constantly check them. I think must go find the urban gardeners and get more tips on these areas. 

On 20/12/2017 at 2:26 PM, bluerunner said:

After the failure of my Gerbera outing (it’s a disaster actually...:redface:), I planted some zinnia from seeds. 

3 weeks on, the seeds started to germinate and seedlings are forming. Hope they will grow up nicely. Fingers and toes crossed. 

Maybe right timing of fertilzation is crucial for young seedlings to grow and bloom.

tips

5 hours ago, shyc said:

Initially find getting seed to sprouts are easy but after sprouting comes the tough part. Most of what I tried tend to frizzle out over time due to lack of or too much of water or sun. These days even sprouting seeds can be tough due to unpredictable weather conditions. Lately my seeds left out on a tray of moist cotton bed just dried up by the evening if I didn't have time to constantly check them. I think must go find the urban gardeners and get more tips on these areas. 

Maybe right timing of fertilzation is crucial for young seedlings to grow and bloom.

WF is the commonly heard term for sg growers like u! Are u guys starting a new hobby for 2018?

@bluerunner how s your plant? did u  join the fb grp I mentioned?

163 photos, u know how impactful it is then

some of u asked for CP

40 minutes ago, -Ignored- said:

WF is the commonly heard term for sg growers like u! Are u guys starting a new hobby for 2018?

@bluerunner how s your plant? did u  join the fb grp I mentioned?

163 photos, u know how impactful it is then

some of u asked for CP

My plant is doing ok (I think and I hope. Just 4weeks old). 

No, I’m a Lone Ranger for now. Haha

19 hours ago, -Ignored- said:

no need to declare single leh

When I say”I’m a Lone Ranger” , it means I am doing it alone, without any group. It does not mean I’m single. :doh:

Back to gardening, it has been pretty wet for the past few days. Heavily rain. Really bad for new plants. :huh:

47 minutes ago, bluerunner said:

When I say”I’m a Lone Ranger” , it means I am doing it alone, without any group. It does not mean I’m single. :doh:

Back to gardening, it has been pretty wet for the past few days. Heavily rain. Really bad for new plants. :huh:

U say it right Lone Ranger:whistle:

the seeds I tried to germinate all grown fungus and no sign of sprouting. :doh: 

2 hours ago, bluerunner said:

dear

of cos it s alone, there r neighbours who make a good whopping 2m long shelves of tons of flowers, also managed alone

furthermore aged

the fb grp is for one to humbly learn from them, not asking them to phy do it for u and u may raise qns to them

Shyc,

try asking that grp for help

is it due to overwatering? looks like u need to  hear from the Urban farmers group what went wrong too

it s free , just join it

better than any of the Line grp in bw, so glad that I have none of the grps in bw

1 hour ago, shyc said:

l

6 hours ago, shyc said:

What seeds did you try to germinate? I have no luck w Gerbera the last time. Will try again when the weather improves. Rainy weather is best not to do anything. 

Edited by bluerunner

Carnivorous plants are tricky cos they thrive well upon neglect, you care a little more they will be upset. Yes, definitely need shade, humidity (moisture). 

Anyone keeps tillandsia? My all time favourite. It’s been flowering once a year and usually around this time when there is significant weather change :) 

Be cool, like a breeze...

11 hours ago, Coolbriz said:

Carnivorous plants are tricky cos they thrive well upon neglect, you care a little more they will be upset. Yes, definitely need shade, humidity (moisture). 

Anyone keeps tillandsia? My all time favourite. It’s been flowering once a year and usually around this time when there is significant weather change :) 

Noted coolbriz

u kept cp too?? R u still keeping shrimps and aquatic stuff?

how do u maintain humidity for your cp??

Regd Your airplant tillandsia is that a mini one or a large pot esp those which tend to turn red???

49 minutes ago, -Ignored- said:

Noted coolbriz

u kept cp too?? R u still keeping shrimps and aquatic stuff?

how do u maintain humidity for your cp??

Regd Your airplant tillandsia is that a mini one or a large pot esp those which tend to turn red???

No I don’t keep cp. just knowing their natural habitat. One way u can maintain humidity is to cluster them together. Don’t keep the plant isolated. 

Ya my tillandsia is the most common type, Tillandsia ionata, the mini one. It’s the characteristic of tillandsia to exhibit redness at the tip of the leaves when they “spike” (about to flower). I got no experience keeping the rarer ones though. 

Yup still keeping the shrimps, just that recently my aquatic plants got wiped out due to accidental introduction of a product I was told is good for the shrimp. So got to reset everything. 

Knowledgeable!

when u join the cp grp, u will see many sch of tots of sg bred cp v non sg v other types, 

but nt as flamable as in bw, for sure

this thread is v quiet instead

ur airplant shd b quite manageable n dont need much effort rt?

12 hours ago, Coolbriz said:

Ya my tillandsia is the most common type, Tillandsia ionata, the mini one. It’s the characteristic of tillandsia to exhibit redness at the tip of the leaves when they “spike” (about to flower). I got no experience keeping the rarer ones though. 

Yup still keeping the shrimps, just that recently my aquatic plants got wiped out due to accidental introduction of a product I was told is good for the shrimp. So got to reset everything. 

hope u have had a good trip that time u asked abt it

1 hour ago, -Ignored- said:

Knowledgeable!

when u join the cp grp, u will see many sch of tots of sg bred cp v non sg v other types, 

but nt as flamable as in bw, for sure

this thread is v quiet instead

ur airplant shd b quite manageable n dont need much effort rt?

hope u have had a good trip that time u asked abt it

Yes to the air plant. In fact, my parents are taking care of them. They just need to mist them once every 1-2 days. No need fertiliser. When they start budding, you have the options to split them into smaller clusters. Each adult plant will only flower once after which they will start budding (reproduce asexually to produce smaller baby plants) 

https://myalbum.com/album/FSEBguN6Vz9E ( my Tilly just flowered few days back)

14 minutes ago, Coolbriz said:

Yes to the air plant. In fact, my parents are taking care of them. They just need to mist them once every 1-2 days. No need fertiliser. When they start budding, you have the options to split them into smaller clusters. Each adult plant will only flower once after which they will start budding (reproduce asexually to produce smaller baby plants) 

https://myalbum.com/album/FSEBguN6Vz9E ( my Tilly just flowered few days back)

q a large one leh

I was about to copy this: looked @ most selling

Edited by lovehandle

cool
did u hang it up directly using a wire or there is a container to  it 'cos cant really see the hooking onto the wall/rooftop

and was it originally about this size or was it more of after it kept flowering and it became so much larger?

Ya hang them up with wire. Bought a small cluster from garden festival and since then they grow bigger and bigger but really take many years to grow this big. Each plant only flowers once in their life time. most of them already flowered. So won’t flower any more. 

I use wire to tie them up in cluster. They thrive well in clusters! Alternatively, you can always mound them on drift wood or other decor that you prefer

Edited by Coolbriz

53 minutes ago, Coolbriz said:

Ya hang them up with wire. Bought a small cluster from garden festival and since then they grow bigger and bigger but really take many years to grow this big. Each plant only flowers once in their life time. most of them already flowered. So won’t flower any more. 

I use wire to tie them up in cluster. They thrive well in clusters! Alternatively, you can always mound them on drift wood or other decor that you prefer

that s so amazing from a coin size to such a big one!

the UF grp mbrs can create miracle of flower and pupping..........more of pupping though, but they do soak it in water and fertilise (probably two sch of tots)
which is why bw mbrs r strongly enc to read up, it is endless reading, when having the fb grps of shrimps, I don't feel excited but 4 the plants grp, I felt so interesting to read above lives, seeds and....

I visited rooftop farms too, they grow coconut trees and durian .....of slightly taller than human height only, they offered advices which may not be agreeable by the "experts" in the UF fb grp anyway
I luv the visit, it is insight and insight link to nature
No need to artificially add pump lah, do this lah, except for certain pollination when needed (cos nt ez to attract bees to do the nature work)

how do u "split them into smaller clusters" , just pluck them out?

4 hours ago, -Ignored- said:

that s so amazing from a coin size to such a big one!

the UF grp mbrs can create miracle of flower and pupping..........more of pupping though, but they do soak it in water and fertilise (probably two sch of tots)
which is why bw mbrs r strongly enc to read up, it is endless reading, when having the fb grps of shrimps, I don't feel excited but 4 the plants grp, I felt so interesting to read above lives, seeds and....

I visited rooftop farms too, they grow coconut trees and durian .....of slightly taller than human height only, they offered advices which may not be agreeable by the "experts" in the UF fb grp anyway
I luv the visit, it is insight and insight link to nature
No need to artificially add pump lah, do this lah, except for certain pollination when needed (cos nt ez to attract bees to do the nature work)

how do u "split them into smaller clusters" , just pluck them out?

You can actually literally separate them with your bare hands. 

ok

just to share they will have push cart sales or pop up stores(very small)

now @clementi

and they will have offers every now and then

on their fb pg they will give tips

n give u idea on how to décor for xmas using cheap materials

1 of the cheapest seen in sg

from air plant tied to xmas décor to driftwood

cant wait to see their non conventional cny designs

I like uniq species

for those who have bad thumbs to try

http://www.bhg.com/gardening/houseplants/care/grow-air-plants/

Guest jeun07
On 5/26/2013 at 10:23 PM, Clickclock said:

Hi everyone! with regards to my sexuality, it is a meh, it does not make a significant part of me, it's simply my orientation and nothing more, what defines me is my mind and my personality and I would say that I am a Gardening enthusiast!

Just figured that I should create a thread for all Gardening enthusiasts here to share their pictures of their beloved plants! I really adore the act of nurturing a life from its very small and tiny beginnings, to its glorious bountiful future.

Here are some of my plants at my garden!

xo4ifq.jpg
307rt4k.jpg

My watermelons! grew these from seed and pollinated the flowers all by myself =)

xx17m.jpg

Strawberries started from seed!

a58dc6.jpg

Cotton!

33kbrzb.jpg

Cucumber!

Besides the plants mentioned above, I have Vanilla, passion fruit, rosemary, mint, pineapple mint, lavender, zinnias, pineapples, aloe veras and more! Would be great if there are any gardening enthusiasts here. =)

Very impressive garden!! 

On 6/30/2017 at 10:26 PM, 4evaboring said:

Any recommendation on where can i get air plant to be place on office desk? and what is their pricing? I saw online the pricing range can be very huge so not sure what to get.

Not sure of your location but “A Tilly A Day” at Punggol Waterway Point has a nice selection and is reasonable. Also try Facebook. 

4 hours ago, 4evaboring said:

Yup, i went and got it but sadly they all died 1 after another after 3 months. 

regret to hear that,but don't give up

they shd b highly manageable (though diff species like King may require diff treatment but still abt the same), why Rice mist per day is I trust his is outdoor

I m nt sure about A Tilly A Day

but for sure pick a plant staff is helpful (nt to worry, they r far fromm your area, they always move abt)

and hence I attached their info abv

Tryg and learning needs guidance

@Rice60640

Yours -outdoor? direct sunlight or under shade? just morning sun?
hope to see your plant!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I tried putting the seeds on a piece of wet paper towel and then in a air tight container. I assume no nid to stratify cos its from the flower goddess seeds. 

I also tried putting the seeds into the freezer for two days, then sow it into the soil and put it in a transparent bag

Edited by crima

2 hours ago, crima said:

I tried putting the seeds on a piece of wet paper towel and then in a air tight container. I assume no nid to stratify cos its from the flower goddess seeds. 

I also tried putting the seeds into the freezer for two days, then sow it into the soil and put it in a transparent bag

Hmm.  I thought the wet tissue with ziplock bag method would work. Is it in a bright area?  Maybe check YouTube. 

On ‎16‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 5:50 PM, crima said:

u have got to : join the helpful fb grp

Charmaine our admin said she throw it to soil directly though some may use your method

many Urban farmers will be glad to share w u

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sgurbanfarmers/permalink/818044375015111/?comment_tracking={"tn"%3A"O"}

and I will only read materials w Live answering ie wont take long to respond back to me

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sgurbanfarmers/permalink/981235765362637/?comment_tracking={"tn"%3A"O"}

he just posted today using hydroponics:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sgurbanfarmers/permalink/981228032030077/?comment_tracking={"tn"%3A"O"}

On 2/16/2018 at 1:50 AM, crima said:

Won't the freezer ruin the seed? Maybe try just the fridge but not in the freezer and lets hope that works.

Hi

anybody can help with the identification of this plant which looks 跌树    but it has fragrant flowers which the actual 跌树 doesn’t ... I chanced upon it while I was in BKK walking some shophouses...

much appreciated!