Male HQ

Baking Group

aldric

Made my liking for cookies and cream into a brownie, but turned out rather cake-ish.

I need to make it fudgier next time.

Anyone wants a piece? :unsure:

2lo6w79.jpg

me want.....

I have a Question.  Many years ago I bought 50 cupcakes for a family party.  My cousin took a bite and said this is not a cupcake.  I always thought cupcakes are just cakes in a paper cup.  Are there any different?

Edited by sam7566

Try "marinating" Granny Smith apples with brown sugar, lemon zest, raisins and cinnamon and a bit of lemon juice before baking the pie. Awesome!

Sure. Add some apple juice in it, and some pan roasted peanut to add more texture and cruchines and it will be perfect, can be use with pineapple too, or u can mix the fruit, make the filling is very easy, the trick should be in the crust

I have a Question.  Many years ago I bought 50 cupcakes for a family party.  My cousin took a bite and said this is not a cupcake.  I always thought cupcakes are just cakes in a paper cup.  Are there any different?

Based on what I eat before, I think cupcakes are the ones with frosting( cream cheese, butter cream etc). Then the "cake-like" cupcakes are actually muffins. Like blueberry, banana etc. Thats how I differentiate it.

Based on what I eat before, I think cupcakes are the ones with frosting( cream cheese, butter cream etc). Then the "cake-like" cupcakes are actually muffins. Like blueberry, banana etc. Thats how I differentiate it.

Thks for your insight.  The cupcake I got comes with cream make into red and white roses with green petals, very pretty.  Looking at them, they are cupcakes.  I believe my cousin was refering to the cake under the cream itself.  They taste like normal pound/butter cake, with less butter because it is not so oily. :unsure:  :unsure:

I think the original terms are slowly being loss in our modern anything-goes society. Lots of time to be more creative or in the process of creating something new, people have criss cross recipes or ideas and hence harder to clearly define the two. https://www.facebook.com/CakesBakes/posts/480933451955456

Thks for your insight.  The cupcake I got comes with cream make into red and white roses with green petals, very pretty.  Looking at them, they are cupcakes.  I believe my cousin was refering to the cake under the cream itself.  They taste like normal pound/butter cake, with less butter because it is not so oily. :unsure:  :unsure:

base on history terminology than the pound/butter cake like cupcake you got is still cupcake as it also have sweet frosting. Other than being more bread-like in muffin, usually it doesn't contain top frosting and usually have fruits, nuts or other ingredient mixed into batter instead.

If you follow some cooking shows, sometime they will suggest to bake in individual cupcake/ muffin pans if perferred for a small bite sizes for party. Actually I search and read up after seeing your question. Curiosity as well. Good to know too.

Actually cupcake base can be any type of cake - chiffon cake, pound/ butter cake, sponge cakes, oil based cakes, flourless cakes, high-ratio cakes etc. Any cake batter baked in a cupcake liner yields cupcakes. However in our context, we tend to associate cupcakes with frostings. 

Muffins can be mixed by two methods - the wet and dry method and the beating method. The wet-and-dry method yields the "traditional" quickbread type of muffin. No beating is required and when batter is overmixed it will give very tough muffins. This is the same method used to make spiced carrot cakes. The muffin texture has big and small holes throughout when it is done via this method. 

The other muffin method is the cake method but it calls for much less butter compared to butter cakes. It is less rich compared to a pound cake. 

Edited by caylus

The best thing i baked is.... i guess white chocolate cake ? haha... it's an experiment gone wrong i guess... coz i don't have any dark chocolate around, so i replace with milk powder and white chocolate :)

I am interested in baking too :) haha

approval.png.5049b8bf793949ee27c5a7e76f11054d.png

Guest eepiyyppah

Gee.. Thanks!! I think my problem was I beat in my icing sugar and this recipe calls for stir in!! Will go try another batch! =)

beating is fine bah... i do that all the time just dun overbeat it would do

It's been a while since my last post because work schedule became too demanding and hectic.

Anyway, here's a cupcake I've made for one production outfit from Okto :)

10959372_866161713443241_193128701403018

10959833_866161640109915_249655050090161

10991405_866161693443243_901202637451601

Edited by Curious_Mac

===================================================================
homophobia is NOT a phobia. 
you are not scared. you're just being an a-hole!

I N S T A G R A M  |   F L I C K R  |  T U M B L R  

love-smiley-086.gif

Anyone has tips for the cream cheese icing for red velvet cupcakes? Did a batch and it turned out too watery and "melts" way too easily.. Prefer something a bit more stiff without losing the creaminess..

Try this:

500g cream cheese, softened at room temp

80g-140g butter, slightly softened (up to 140g)

80g- 150g icing sugar. (add more if desired)

1 tsp good quality Vanilla extract

Method:

1) Beat softened cream cheese till creamy. Do not need to beat for long. Once it comes together like frosting consistency can stop. 

2) Add in softened butter to beaten cream cheese.

3) Slowly sift in icing sugar. After 80g is added. Do taste test. Add in more to taste. 

4) Add vanilla and beat till combined. Do not overbeat.

Tips:

1) Do not overbeat the cream cheese. The texture will turn grainy.

2) The lower the amount of butter used, the less watery the texture is. can increase the amount after 80g to 120g if desired. 

3) Slowly beat in 80g icing sugar. Add in more to taste. Personally I will stop at around 150g total. 

4) Vanilla extract will round out the flavour. 

5) After chilling the frosting will be really firm. eat straight from the fridge without softening the frosting if your red velvet cake is oil based. 

6) If too much sugar is added the frosting will be crusty! Epic failure. 

Results:

1) Relatively Low in sugar compared to alot of recipes that call for nearly 1:1 ratio sugar to cream cheese. 

2) Good flavour if good quality of vanilla is used. Eg, Nielsen Massey. 

3) Firm enough to pipe. 

4) Thick texture if chilled properly. 

5) Tested and proven to be welcomed =]

Edited by caylus

On a side note, when doing any  sweet recipes from any western authors/ websites, do check out the sugar content. 

The first thing I always cut is the sugar because they always use sugar in extreme excess. Some frosting recipes are so ridiculously sweet, especially the typical american buttercream recipes which uses just butter and lots of icing sugar. 

Do you all post your bakes to instagram? Maybe you all can follow each other (if you all haven't already done so haha)? :D

BIG no... haha my IG only for my photo & fashion work related, no hobbies things allowed LoL

gula_melaka.jpg

tried to replicate cedele gula melaka cake...

rather unsuccessful... a lot of work and turned out rather crumbly in the end...

can spare some to brave souls who wanna try... :unsure:

crumbly as in... the cake texture ? haha i don't mind !

:) just msg me your address haha

approval.png.5049b8bf793949ee27c5a7e76f11054d.png

One of my first cupcake creations

285590_186404301418989_5500862_n.jpg?oh=

It's a chocolate cupcake with vanilla butter cream frosting with baby booties topper. The baby booties are made manually. No cookie cutter. The fondant was cut manually using a sharp paring knife and a "flimsy" pattern then assembled one-by-one :D Since I need to make 50 cupcakes, I need to make 100 booties... Manually. Took me 3 days to complete everything. Whew!

homophobia is NOT a phobia. 
you are not scared. you're just being an a-hole!

I N S T A G R A M  |   F L I C K R  |  T U M B L R  

love-smiley-086.gif