Male HQ

Best Laksa In Town?

So guys, where could I find good laksa in town?

If possible not in Jurong, Woodlands or Tampines haha. I'm trying to stay as central as possible :)

There are two types right? I remember eating one super spicy... i coulnd't finish it. Then I had a Katong Laksa, much better for my stomach :)

have you tried the one at yishun? At the back of the bus interchange there's one little shop next to a dessert shop. They sell out everyday though haha

Cooking is my passion. Music is my life. Reading is my sanity. 

Bitching about you keeps me happy. 

"People fear because of a lack of understanding, and a lack of understanding comes from a lack of proper communication on both parties, so to resolve fear we need to first resolve communication"

Never been as far as Yishun lol. Sold out means going there around 7pm might be useless?  :)

Haha you could try your luck, but usually by then it's out le :( 

But I really recommend you to try there if you could haha

"People fear because of a lack of understanding, and a lack of understanding comes from a lack of proper communication on both parties, so to resolve fear we need to first resolve communication"

Guest eepiyyppah

Oh the lala? :)

The one near Roxy mall?

Never been as far as Yishun lol. Sold out means going there around 7pm might be useless?  :)

lol try coming around 3-4pm by 5 most of the time sold out unless you very lucky hahaha

Guest eepiyyppah

I hope the Katong one is ok....

oh btw the one at yishun isnt really spicy so i think its acceptable. if isnt, beside the laksa stall has a dessert stall to soothe any possible fire

Sungei Road Laksa
Block 27, Jalan Berseh
#01-100 Jin Shui Kopitiam
Open 9am to 6pm (closed every 1st and 3rd Wednesday)

the best laksa i had... they cook the soup with a huge pot using charcoal! where else can you find that? not to mention the fresh cockles and very affordable price

So guys, where could I find good laksa in town?

If possible not in Jurong, Woodlands or Tampines haha. I'm trying to stay as central as possible :)

There are two types right? I remember eating one super spicy... i coulnd't finish it. Then I had a Katong Laksa, much better for my stomach :)

Enelym,

When did you develop a craving for laksa?

When did you first have laksa?

laksa for dinner.. there's a 328 katong laksa at queensway shopping centre. i'm not sure if it's open for dinner but i think so?

328 across roxy sq definitely stays open during dinner though.

then there's the claypot laksa at alexandra village hawker centre which unfortunately isn't open during dinner hours.

if u're into a different kind of laksa there's an awesome penang laksa just a couple mins walk from aljunied mrt. open for dinner. :)

haha laksa tend to be sold out quite quickly in most places, since it's a childhood food for most and a unique food for foreigners to want to try :D

The benchmark laksa is the one at Jalan berseh - sungei road laksa. Try it first. And then try the others. Better or not as good then stems from this benchmark.

Laksa is a daytime food. Not suited for night consumption. Of course demand will create supply. But most people know to have it for lunch or tea...

Sungei Road Laksa

Block 27, Jalan Berseh

#01-100 Jin Shui Kopitiam

Open 9am to 6pm (closed every 1st and 3rd Wednesday)

the best laksa i had... they cook the soup with a huge pot using charcoal! where else can you find that? not to mention the fresh cockles and very affordable price

The benchmark laksa is the one at Jalan berseh - sungei road laksa. Try it first. And then try the others. Better or not as good then stems from this benchmark.

Laksa is a daytime food. Not suited for night consumption. Of course demand will create supply. But most people know to have it for lunch or tea...

Went to the one near Jalan Berseh on Tuesday night after the heavy rain at around 8pm. 

Not sure if it's the correct stall but it has clippings of reviews and the signboard reads 'Sungei Road Laksa'.

The soup wasn't too salty.

It was reddish because of the chilli.

No chopsticks, only spoon, ordered extra cockles. 

Warm food, cold night, Buddy.

Gosh...I'm hungry now.

After all, tomorrow is another day. ~ S O'Hara

Went to the one near Jalan Berseh on Tuesday night after the heavy rain at around 8pm. 

Not sure if it's the correct stall but it has clippings of reviews and the signboard reads 'Sungei Road Laksa'.

Gosh...I'm hungry now.

Had the $4 one with prawns. First taste was rather bland probably because it's too hot. Gradually, it just grew on me so i'll definitely go back for more...possibly as soon as early next week haha.

image_zps6f207e2d.jpg

120px-Zoso.svg.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Block 31 is the WRONG one... Look carefully... this stall is using GAS FIRE... not charcoal fire..  this stall used to be the original one but it moved to block 27.and the next tenant sell laksa to capitalise on unsuspecting customers... I was taken in too for a few times and was wondering how come standard dropped... it's a different stall!

This one advertises who to call? meaning he caters? the original one is an old man... helped by his daughters.  day time ONLY.

make sure try the one at block 27. you can't miss it.

Block 31 is the WRONG one... Look carefully... this stall is using GAS FIRE... not charcoal fire..  this stall used to be the original one but it moved to block 27.and the next tenant sell laksa to capitalise on unsuspecting customers... I was taken in too for a few times and was wondering how come standard dropped... it's a different stall!

This one advertises who to call? meaning he caters? the original one is an old man... helped by his daughters.  day time ONLY.

make sure try the one at block 27. you can't miss it.

Seems that we went to the wrong one. Then again, i guess it's ok since we all like it very much. The one at block 31 must be even better.

120px-Zoso.svg.png

Gosh...I'm hungry now.

Seems that we went to the wrong one. Then again, i guess it's ok since we all like it very much. The one at block 31 must be even better.

it's along townshend road! pretty easy to spot everyone else is eating laksa and you will definitely see the big pot of laksa soup on burning charchoal. good luck finding :)

it is located at block 27 

Edited by flowereat

• 8 years later...

I personally don't order laksa in Singapore- not that I like or dislike it, but it's not at the top of the list unless it's something special. I didn't think too much about it but when my friend from Penang said that Singapore's laksa is just curry noodle, I laughed and thought that he's kinda right. 

When you look at the individual ingredients between curry and Singapore's laksa, they're almost identical- save for the herbs. Chicken broth, garlic, ginger, and most importantly, coconut milk, are always necessary to make the laksa. 

On the other hand, Peranakan Laksa, also known as Assam Laksa, is completely different; the soup is sweet and sour, made using fish-based ingredients.

Personally speaking, I would pick Assam Laksa over Singapore's Laksa any day. The flavours are distinct enough from curry that I enjoy the different flavours. My grandma's from Penang and she makes the best Assam Laksa I've ever tasted, even matching Penang's best options. 

However, while Singapore laksa can easily pass for $3-4 per bowl, the amount of effort and the price of ingredients for Assam Laksa will drive the minimum cost to $5-7.50 per bowl, and honestly, not many people will pay for something so different and at a higher entry to a bowl of noodles that isn't familiar to our usual tastebuds. 

Tech Reviewer on Rhyn Reviews and YouTube: https://youtube.com/rhynreviews.

• 1 year later...

We are central between Chinatown and bukit merah have a local fav laksa that we don't want others to know.

The soup is much more flavorful that katong laksa and all the others pale in comparison. Katong laksa is just social media hype compared to ours.

So I'm NOT disclosing where it is. The big clue is that you can choose with plenty of hum for $5. The queue is not long but the old man very slow so we don't want more people to know to make it worse.

On 6/22/2023 at 8:21 PM, Guest Laki said:

So I'm NOT disclosing where it is. The big clue is that you can choose with plenty of hum for $5. The queue is not long but the old man very slow so we don't want more people to know to make it worse.

Then what's the point of your post? We're here to share recommendations, not play games. 

It is hard to beat 928 Yishun especially with the prices, thats why the queue so long even on weekdays.  

Am also am a big fan of the claypot laksa in Depot Road, quite interesting.

Not for every day but the lobster laksa at Chatterbox is an indulgent treat. The only other place I know to get lobster in your laksa is if you fly first class on Singapore Airlines

Edited by TopChinese

On 4/4/2022 at 8:14 PM, Rhyn said:

I personally don't order laksa in Singapore- not that I like or dislike it, but it's not at the top of the list unless it's something special. I didn't think too much about it but when my friend from Penang said that Singapore's laksa is just curry noodle, I laughed and thought that he's kinda right. 

When you look at the individual ingredients between curry and Singapore's laksa, they're almost identical- save for the herbs. Chicken broth, garlic, ginger, and most importantly, coconut milk, are always necessary to make the laksa. 

On the other hand, Peranakan Laksa, also known as Assam Laksa, is completely different; the soup is sweet and sour, made using fish-based ingredients.

Personally speaking, I would pick Assam Laksa over Singapore's Laksa any day. The flavours are distinct enough from curry that I enjoy the different flavours. My grandma's from Penang and she makes the best Assam Laksa I've ever tasted, even matching Penang's best options. 

However, while Singapore laksa can easily pass for $3-4 per bowl, the amount of effort and the price of ingredients for Assam Laksa will drive the minimum cost to $5-7.50 per bowl, and honestly, not many people will pay for something so different and at a higher entry to a bowl of noodles that isn't familiar to our usual tastebuds. 

Assam laksa, lots of otak udang, BEST GILER OOOO👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻😂😂😂

Looking for Lean twin bottom.. Only clean safe discreet fun

• 1 month later...

Then what's the point of your post? We're here to share recommendations, not play games. 

It is hard to beat 928 Yishun especially with the prices, thats why the queue so long even on weekdays.  

Am also am a big fan of the claypot laksa in Depot Road, quite interesting.

Not for every day but the lobster laksa at Chatterbox is an indulgent treat. The only other place I know to get lobster in your laksa is if you fly first class on Singapore Airlines

Four Points by Sheraton has it too.

120px-Zoso.svg.png

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.