Male HQ

Cooking Your Own Dinner?

2 hours ago, Balestier said:

I air fry my chicken fillet and its plain n dry. any suggestions to add flavours ??

marinate your chicken first.
I've been doing some experimenting recently and quite like the following flavour:
1 bowl small onions (shallots)
2 stems lemongrass

thumb size Turmeric (can substitute with turmeric powder - in this case don't grind together, just sprinke onto the chicken.

Grind the above together until fine paste.

Light Soy Sauce

Sesame Oil 
Sugar (to taste) - not too much otherwise will chowtar before its cooked

Salt

Combine all and marinate, 4hrs or more. Airfry.

Works well with chicken wings, and i believe you can also BBQ or deep fry this recipe.

Mum likes to use bibigo korean sauce but my aunty came up with a similar substitute:
Grind/blend pear/Nashi pear until puree
Add Soy sauce and salt, sesame oil.
if you like it spicy, add the korean gochu-jang (chilli paste)

Marinate for 4hrs or more, airfry.

2 hours ago, Guest Poster said:

There's a bit of articles recently on brining chicken, supposedly retains moisture and adds flavour, you might wanna give that a try.

That's part of the garnish :P Hope its not from the armpit.

ive only done brining on turkey... not really a fan coz my turkey turned out like salted fish.. super salty.... maybe i did it wrongly...

lucky me i wanted to buy a air fryer but did my research and digging for information about that machine and got lots of lousy feedback about it... so i did not own one today.. What i found out what that many ppl try many method to cook food with air fryer and nothing turns out good.

Guest Poster
11 hours ago, Swisse said:

ive only done brining on turkey... not really a fan coz my turkey turned out like salted fish.. super salty.... maybe i did it wrongly...

Think there's some ratio of water/salt/sugar to the weight of the turkey to adhere to, and thoroughly rinse the bird after brining before air drying then roasting. For one I do think its way too much work :P

15 hours ago, Friendly said:

lucky me i wanted to buy a air fryer but did my research and digging for information about that machine and got lots of lousy feedback about it... so i did not own one today.. What i found out what that many ppl try many method to cook food with air fryer and nothing turns out good.

i have a totally opposite experience to you.. i loved my air fryer but it can only "fry" food in small quantities... also you cannot fry too oily stuff eg belly pork as the oil will "fly" to the heating element and cause alot of smoke....
for 2 pax is enough but if you're like me cook banquet for more than 8 people daily then its not enough....

Edited by Swisse

17 hours ago, Friendly said:

fried food taste better

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Remember seeing this thread around (but didn't really read through all previous posts though), so thought of putting my first post here too.

Finally started on a brand new "journey" - my very first real cooking (not instant noodles kind) last night.

(if not someone gonna say I only "nato", haha)

Menu for dinner: Honey garlic chicken with stir-fried vegetables and brown rice.

(do excuse the lack of presentation eh, haha)

36189972703_f770db28d3_o.jpg

Happy - is what we should be, always.

Notice: I DO NOT use the Chat Function in this Forum - this has always been written in my profile (and I don't read it too).

{it is unfortunate that this new Chat Function does not allow users to turn/switch off in mobile phone}

1 hour ago, sphere said:

Remember seeing this thread around (but didn't really read through all previous posts though), so thought of putting my first post here too.

Finally started on a brand new "journey" - my very first real cooking (not instant noodles kind) last night.

(if not someone gonna say I only "nato", haha)

Menu for dinner: Honey garlic chicken with stir-fried vegetables and brown rice.

(do excuse the lack of presentation eh, haha)

36189972703_f770db28d3_o.jpg

Looks delicious! Much better than my first cooking experiment! :thumb:

@Cube3, thanks, still have room for improvement eh, haha.

@Friendly, a step at a time? Haha.

But would it be "difficult" to prepare for a one-man meal - soup I mean?

Notice: I DO NOT use the Chat Function in this Forum - this has always been written in my profile (and I don't read it too).

{it is unfortunate that this new Chat Function does not allow users to turn/switch off in mobile phone}

Wow, thanks for the suggestion @TopChinese, appreciate it eh.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tried out a second new dish - Lemon butter salmon (again, do excuse the lack of presentation eh, haha).

36972447842_4deb14afd9_c.jpg

• 1 month later...

F, so nice of you to cook for your beloved.

However the stuff doesn't look too healthy and appetising to me.

(I am not so much a fish person)

For fish, substitute fried fish with steam beancurd.  Be creative, pour some black pepper sauce over it for a divine taste.  Try to use a toaster oven for your hot dogs.  Have some cuts on the surface so it looks like a blooming flower. Another method is to put the cut-meat in a pot of boiling water for 3 minutes.. you get the same effect.  Instead of lemak vegetables, try par-boiled the leafy greens.  Add oyster sauce to taste.

Image result for beancurd with black pepper sauceImage result for bok choy in oyster sauce

17 hours ago, abang said:

F, so nice of you to cook for your beloved.

However the stuff doesn't look too healthy and appetising to me.

(I am not so much a fish person)

For fish, substitute fried fish with steam beancurd.  Be creative, pour some black pepper sauce over it for a divine taste.  Try to use a toaster oven for your hot dogs.  Have some cuts on the surface so it looks like a blooming flower. Another method is to put the cut-meat in a pot of boiling water for 3 minutes.. you get the same effect.  Instead of lemak vegetables, try par-boiled the leafy greens.  Add oyster sauce to taste.

Image result for beancurd with black pepper sauceImage result for bok choy in oyster sauce

I cook this two dishes every now and then. Yes steam and green veg is very healthy. Nasi lemak is like onces a month thing lor. We eat more fish then meat. 

11 hours ago, Friendly said:

I having problem to down size pictures to post here lor

You could use the "Paint" software (under "Accessories"), then use the "Resize" function to reduce your pictures until the desired file size.

That is actually one of the easiest for single person meal. Can also cook your rice and ingredient in rice cooker. Measure the rice required and amount of water needed. Adjust water base on what type of ingredient you are using. i.e. Produce that would gives off more water than reduce the water amount. Can rough chop or cut into chunks your ingredients and place on top of your rice in the cooker. You have option to season your cooked mixed rice after cooking or flavoured your water with seasonings before the cooking process. Ingredients you place to cook with the rice can also be place in staggering timing i.e. Fresh greens can be place right at the end of cooking while hard veg like carrots, sweet potatoes can go together with the rice. If using meat produce, depending on the size of cut, some might need a short quick stir fry before adding into the rice to finish cooking process. 

Do do note that this cooking method tend to wear out the inner tub of the rice cooker faster. 

2 hours ago, shyc said:

That is actually one of the easiest for single person meal. Can also cook your rice and ingredient in rice cooker. Measure the rice required and amount of water needed. Adjust water base on what type of ingredient you are using. i.e. Produce that would gives off more water than reduce the water amount. Can rough chop or cut into chunks your ingredients and place on top of your rice in the cooker. You have option to season your cooked mixed rice after cooking or flavoured your water with seasonings before the cooking process. Ingredients you place to cook with the rice can also be place in staggering timing i.e. Fresh greens can be place right at the end of cooking while hard veg like carrots, sweet potatoes can go together with the rice. If using meat produce, depending on the size of cut, some might need a short quick stir fry before adding into the rice to finish cooking process. 

Do do note that this cooking method tend to wear out the inner tub of the rice cooker faster. 

So confused... just cook rice. When rice is cook add in  chicken meat(season with oyster sauce,black sauce and pepper} Then add some vegetable..ta da... when all cook can eat already lor.

Yes, doing it that way similiar to Claypot style method. PIlau or Briyani style methods takes a bit more steps. More variations for keen people to attempt. But for quick fix, bmrg's method of mixing cooked rice with various pre-prepared sides aka Bibimbap style is still fastest. :D

On ‎23‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 2:54 PM, shyc said:

Yes, doing it that way similiar to Claypot style method. PIlau or Briyani style methods takes a bit more steps. More variations for keen people to attempt. But for quick fix, bmrg's method of mixing cooked rice with various pre-prepared sides aka Bibimbap style is still fastest. :D

all of u making me hungry now as I only have a porridge at the hawker just now

On ‎22‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 12:34 PM, bmrg said:

These days I like to mix rice, meat, etc. with a bowl of rocket salad and cherry tomatoes. Kinda like a caifan salad. Fast, easy, and seemingly well-balanced. Haha.

oooops bmrg; erm seemed like cold and hot, just like what u mentioned mixed rice cold salad...fusion of western and local, hmmmmmmm, not sure can I stomach it well

On 11/25/2017 at 9:23 PM, -Ignored- said:

oooops bmrg; erm seemed like cold and hot, just like what u mentioned mixed rice cold salad...fusion of western and local, hmmmmmmm, not sure can I stomach it well

Haha I find it helpful for appetite and digestion. These days I feel a little nauseous whenever I think of eating a clump of rice with no dry greens.

I prefer to eat cooked tomatoes although the following report says otherwise:

Consistent with previous studies, vitamin C content decreased by 10, 15 and 29 per cent respectively when compared to raw, uncooked tomatoes. However, the research revealed that the beneficial trans-lycopene content of the cooked tomatoes increased by 54, 171 and 164 per cent respectively.

I use my rice cooker frequently for one dish meal.  I add mixed vegetables into the rice.  Throw chicken breast. soya sauce into a shallow plate and just place them in the steamer in the rice cooker.   Add green vegetable about 20 mins later (or 5 mins before finishing time). 

image.jpeg.ef14eeb2667586e1dfe17a18d804cafc.jpeg**Picture from Internet.

12 hours ago, Zackling said:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BZlMkdGjznjREAY-DHGcIR9cvVIaMVc8SDIG9U0/?hl=en&taken-by=zacko78

This is just a normal staff meal item that I used to cook for staffs at the work place. 

seabass trimming with orange reduction sauce. 

nt bad to have a caring chef

though cant see the link it s gd to have seabass! and fish at meal time

many restaurants the most gave pork and chicken plus one vege and egg

• 1 month later...
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.