Male HQ

Average Salary To Live Comfortably In Singapore

Guest QQ

Guest guest
12 hours ago, practease said:

It really depends on the scope of his work. Is the person in a managerial role for example an office manager? Probably 3 - 4k range?

Managerial role and when the person is in his mid 40s, salary still $3-4k? It is consider on low side? Heard nowadays youngsters who are in early to mid 30s already earning at least $4-5k if they are in executive role?

Guest Uncle
10 hours ago, Guest guest said:

Managerial role and when the person is in his mid 40s, salary still $3-4k? It is consider on low side? Heard nowadays youngsters who are in early to mid 30s already earning at least $4-5k if they are in executive role?

Huh? It all depends on industries.  A manager in restaurant or retail with $2500 can never compare to manager in a bank or MNC with $8000.

Age has little to do with income. Old man working in NTUC cashier or MacDonald's still earning $6.50 per hour versus an old auntie working as working in changi airport customer service $2500. It's all about the job! 

How much you want to be comfortable? It all depends on you. Each to his own. Malay daddy in security service with 6 kids and earning $1800 per month can be happier than a single gay hunk earning $50,000 per month in finance company. It's all up to you

Guest guest
13 hours ago, Guest Uncle said:

Huh? It all depends on industries.  A manager in restaurant or retail with $2500 can never compare to manager in a bank or MNC with $8000.

Age has little to do with income. Old man working in NTUC cashier or MacDonald's still earning $6.50 per hour versus an old auntie working as working in changi airport customer service $2500. It's all about the job! 

How much you want to be comfortable? It all depends on you. Each to his own. Malay daddy in security service with 6 kids and earning $1800 per month can be happier than a single gay hunk earning $50,000 per month in finance company. It's all up to you

Not comparing with a manager in retail with a manager in a bank, this is not accurate. I think should compare apple to apple. Example average salary in a manufacturing MNC company for an executive role in different MNC company but same industry?

On 6/3/2020 at 8:03 PM, Guest Uncle said:

How much you want to be comfortable? It all depends on you. Each to his own. Daddy in security service with 6 kids and earning $1800 per month can be happier than a single gay hunk earning $50,000 per month in finance company. It's all up to you

This is so true

Guest GuestNE

When I started working, I told myself $4k is enough. But when I got there, I wanted more and more. Never ends. 

But generally speaking, without financial commitment for house or car, I would think 5k and above will be quite comfortable. 

I am 32, got 9.5k per month now. I have extra to save for rainy days now. Started to give more to parents. 

11 hours ago, Guest GuestNE said:

When I started working, I told myself $4k is enough. But when I got there, I wanted more and more. Never ends. 

But generally speaking, without financial commitment for house or car, I would think 5k and above will be quite comfortable. 

I am 32, got 9.5k per month now. I have extra to save for rainy days now. Started to give more to parents. 

Yup this is more or less true for me too. The more I earned, the more my spending power as well, so it never is enough. I think what's "enough" boils down a lot to a philosophical question of what makes one happy at the end of the day, and whether money is really something that can you help achieve that "happiness".

Guest guest
12 hours ago, Guest GuestNE said:

You are high flyer? Only 32 already earning $9.5k! Many people in their mid 40s, salary not even reach $5k.

Guest guest
50 minutes ago, zzzzzzzz said:

Wow. 32 and 9.5k is very high! Depending on the industries and the different roles that you play.

How much averagely should 32 earns?

Guest guest
1 hour ago, kys0n said:

Yup this is more or less true for me too. The more I earned, the more my spending power as well, so it never is enough. I think what's "enough" boils down a lot to a philosophical question of what makes one happy at the end of the day, and whether money is really something that can you help achieve that "happiness".

Sometimes it is not about your spending power, or whether you want more and more on your salary. I think salary should in line with a person work experience, qualification and age. Example if i am happy and enough even if my salary is $4k at the age of 50. But if i am at the age of 50, would you think that $4k salary is a bit too low, either my company is shortchange me or something must be wrong somewhere.

Guest Tomato
25 minutes ago, Guest guest said:

You are high flyer? Only 32 already earning $9.5k! Many people in their mid 40s, salary not even reach $5k.

I know of someone who is at the age of 27 and earning $6.5k.  And some of his colleagues are earning much more at the same age.

Investment and financial institutions.

Guest guest
42 minutes ago, Guest Tomato said:

I know of someone who is at the age of 27 and earning $6.5k.  And some of his colleagues are earning much more at the same age.

Investment and financial institutions.

Investment and financial salary should be usually quite high. But nowadays even in others sector, many youngsters before the age of 35 already earning at least $4-5K.

Guest GuestNE
2 hours ago, Guest guest said:

Dun think I am high flyer. I worked for 8 years le. Jumped a few companies. 

3 hours ago, zzzzzzzz said:

Wow. 32 and 9.5k is very high! Depending on the industries and the different roles that you play.

I am finance manager for FMCG company. Stable industry and company. 

Oh I dun have aws though. Over 12 months. But have variable bonus, not much. 

Guest Guest

I turned 26 last week, I'm earning close to 6k. I work in a local bank here in SG. The perks are good and the bonuses are decent. 

Generally I would consider myself comfortable. I don't have a mortgage or car to pay off and I live with my parents. 

Guest Fatty
9 hours ago, Guest guest said:

Sometimes it is not about your spending power, or whether you want more and more on your salary. I think salary should in line with a person work experience, qualification and age. Example if i am happy and enough even if my salary is $4k at the age of 50. But if i am at the age of 50, would you think that $4k salary is a bit too low, either my company is shortchange me or something must be wrong somewhere.

Of course you are being shortchanged.

Nowadays fresh graduates already drawing to 4-5k. Please see your manager today and ask for a pay raise. Remember, low pay means little dignity.

Guest guest
13 hours ago, Guest GuestNE said:

Dun think I am high flyer. I worked for 8 years le. Jumped a few companies. 

I am finance manager for FMCG company. Stable industry and company. 

Oh I dun have aws though. Over 12 months. But have variable bonus, not much. 

Work experience 8 years, salary already so high? Must be you jumped a few companies and you are lucky to find company not stingy to pay you high salary than your previous job. Many time salary high or not, really depend on luck. If you have a calculative HR/boss, then your salary would not increase much even you have worked for the company for 10 years.

Guest guest
12 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

I turned 26 last week, I'm earning close to 6k. I work in a local bank here in SG. The perks are good and the bonuses are decent. 

Generally I would consider myself comfortable. I don't have a mortgage or car to pay off and I live with my parents. 

Only 26 salary already $6k, confirmed live very comfortable. Some people 45, salary still haven't reach $5k.

Guest guest
7 hours ago, Guest Fatty said:

Of course you are being shortchanged.

Nowadays fresh graduates already drawing to 4-5k. Please see your manager today and ask for a pay raise. Remember, low pay means little dignity.

No point seeing manager, as manager would have tons of reasons to justify your salary. They will tell you cannot compared yourself to fresh graduates and young generation, due to difference era born. It is a norm that youngsters in their 30s already earning $4-5K, and even their salary is close or even higher than a 40s also common. Cannot expect manager to increase your salary because of that.

2 hours ago, Guest guest said:

No point seeing manager, as manager would have tons of reasons to justify your salary. They will tell you cannot compared yourself to fresh graduates and young generation, due to difference era born. It is a norm that youngsters in their 30s already earning $4-5K, and even their salary is close or even higher than a 40s also common. Cannot expect manager to increase your salary because of that.

It's very rare for HR to increase salary to 'match' other folks who have same skill level as you, regardless of age. Unless there was some scandal that could potentially cause many employees to leave, so the HR is pressured by management to increase salaries of everyone to 'match' the benchmark.

I remember interviewing a person older than me who was only drawing 3K+. He was such a loyal employee to his previous company, he worked there for more than 10 years and waited for HR to give him a raise or for management to do it for him. End up asked to go for early retirement at the end of the road.

Guest GuestNE
5 hours ago, Guest guest said:

Work experience 8 years, salary already so high? Must be you jumped a few companies and you are lucky to find company not stingy to pay you high salary than your previous job. Many time salary high or not, really depend on luck. If you have a calculative HR/boss, then your salary would not increase much even you have worked for the company for 10 years.

Yes I am lucky. My starting pay was 2k+ actually. 

Every time I jumped I asked for 20%. 

Guest math prof
1 hour ago, Guest GuestNE said:

Assuming your starting salary is $2.9k. You have to jump 6-7 times to reach 9.5k.

You only worked for 8 years. Do you change job every day? Not trying to discredit you. Just want to learn from Master

Guest GuestNE
2 hours ago, Guest math prof said:

Assuming your starting salary is $2.9k. You have to jump 6-7 times to reach 9.5k.

You only worked for 8 years. Do you change job every day? Not trying to discredit you. Just want to learn from Master

If you factored in promotions, adjustments and really good increments, you will get there. From Analyst, Senior Analyst, Assistant Manager to Manager. 

My worst increment is 3%, happened once. The rest my increment is from 5% to 10%. Promotion 20%. Jump to new company 20% with new adjusted pay. Joined new company less than 1 year and got promoted and adjusted again. 

But again, not trying to bluff but this is really possible. 

One key thing is to be really good at what you are doing, be visible and be confident. 

Guest math prof
2 hours ago, Guest GuestNE said:

If you factored in promotions, adjustments and really good increments, you will get there. From Analyst, Senior Analyst, Assistant Manager to Manager. 

My worst increment is 3%, happened once. The rest my increment is from 5% to 10%. Promotion 20%. Jump to new company 20% with new adjusted pay. Joined new company less than 1 year and got promoted and adjusted again. 

One key thing is to be really good at what you are doing, be visible and be confident. 

Thanks for sharing.

I guess you must be a financial analyst with CFA. Am I right?

With only a degree, I don't think salary can climb so fast.

with this pandemic, it could take a detour on the salary bench. People earning a decent income might lost their job suddenly and force to start on a new scope in the mid-40 and start with a lower pay. 

Guest guest
On 6/9/2020 at 5:06 PM, repressednerd said:

It's very rare for HR to increase salary to 'match' other folks who have same skill level as you, regardless of age. Unless there was some scandal that could potentially cause many employees to leave, so the HR is pressured by management to increase salaries of everyone to 'match' the benchmark.

I remember interviewing a person older than me who was only drawing 3K+. He was such a loyal employee to his previous company, he worked there for more than 10 years and waited for HR to give him a raise or for management to do it for him. End up asked to go for early retirement at the end of the road.

I agree, HR will never increase salary to match other folks even your current salary is lower or close to what those youngsters who joined the company so much later than you. In my company case, one guys who is 8-10 years younger than another guy, but both their salary is about the same, and both joined the company around the same period, and same level also but different dept.

Guest guest
11 hours ago, tyan said:

with this pandemic, it could take a detour on the salary bench. People earning a decent income might lost their job suddenly and force to start on a new scope in the mid-40 and start with a lower pay. 

Those companies who did not get affected by this pandemic, would use this pandemic reason not to increase salary and tell their employees they have a job now already consider a blessing. So don't tell HR that your salary doesn't match with your age etc.

Guest guest
On 6/9/2020 at 7:26 PM, Guest GuestNE said:

Normal annual increment give you 20% is too high. Most companies only give about 2-3%. For those who give 4-5% is already consider very good. Anyway, you can ask all you want, but if your company give it to you is another story. Like i can tell my manager and HR that my salary is low, but if they think otherwise and do not agree with me, i also cannot do much, unless i resign.

Guest guest
22 hours ago, Guest GuestNE said:

Either you a high performance or you are lucky to meet all good employer who is not stingy in giving you high salary. Esp when you said you got promoted after joining a new company within a year. Usually if a person got promoted every 2 to 3 years already consider very good. Many people need to wait at least 4 to 6 years to get promoted. Esp if you have a high demanding and expectation boss. I have seen before those under a high expectation manager, their staff can only get promoted 5 years or more.

Guest Fatty
9 hours ago, Guest guest said:

Either you a high performance or you are lucky to meet all good employer who is not stingy in giving you high salary. Esp when you said you got promoted after joining a new company within a year. Usually if a person got promoted every 2 to 3 years already consider very good. Many people need to wait at least 4 to 6 years to get promoted. Esp if you have a high demanding and expectation boss. I have seen before those under a high expectation manager, their staff can only get promoted 5 years or more.

Then why stay in that company? Jump ship la

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest Tommy

You are offered a job. The company promises an initial salary of S$100,000 per year and two options for increasing it:

1. The salary is increased by S$15,000 once a year. 

2. Or by S$5000 every 6 months

Which option seems more profitable for  you?

Able to own a car, 2 properties, a couple of boi bois and booze and party while having some savings. Good health and a stable job. 

Im contended. Not bothered abt the number. No wish to benchmark myself as well.

Guest guest
2 hours ago, lightsmith32 said:

Able to own a car, 2 properties, a couple of boi bois and booze and party while having some savings. Good health and a stable job. 

Im contended. Not bothered abt the number. No wish to benchmark myself as well.

It is true that gays are mostly earning high salary?

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.