Male HQ

Average Salary To Live Comfortably In Singapore

Guest QQ

Guest Guest

For the benefit of those who are curious of their position of income level among taxpayers, this data might help. Notice that the data is positively skewed, you should use the median and percentiles as benchmark instead of the mean.

tumblr_n6tywfd2DY1r1myfto1_500.png

Raw data: Taxable Individuals by Income Group

I saw this chart before. My first thought when I saw it was this:

If 1.3 million people paid taxes in a population of more than 5.5 million people, what happened to the other 4 million people?

• 4 months later...

I'm doing some computation to assess how much investable funds one must have before achieving financial freedom.  In this context, financial freedom refers to the situation where one does not need to work any more, though one may choose to work because he enjoys it.

Some basic assumptions:

1) Have adequate hospital and surgery insurance

2) Residential property is fully paid for

3) Have no dependent.  This is feasible for people like us or married couple without children.  Parents are assumed to be separately taken care of eg you set aside a sum for them or you buy annuity for them.  But it is unwise to buy annuity if they are already elderly. 

4) Lifestyle is not extravagant.  No big ticket purchases like expensive car or yacht or timepiece or jewellery or designer wear.or long luxurious holiday.  Occasional indulgence is fine.

Figures below are applicable today.  if one retires 20 years from now, the figures have to be adjusted upwards for inflation.

1) Conservative approach - Invest in low risk assets, spend only the income, not the principal

Assuming a low risk low return rate of 3% per annum.  This must be a real return rate ie inflation adjusted.

If one needs SGD 10,000 to live per month, ie SGD 120,000 per year, one needs investable funds of SGD 4 million

If one needs SGD 5,000 to live per month, ie SGD 60,000 per year, one needs investable funds of SGD 2 million

Since this approach does not erode the principal, it is not age sensitive.  Whatever your age is, once you have the above amount of investable funds, you achieve financial freedom, regardless of whether you are 30, 40, 50, 60, 70 yo.

But I don't think people like us need to be so conservative.  Who are you leaving the principal to when you pass on?

2) Aggressive approach - Invest aggressively, spend the income as well as a portion of the principal.  The portion taken from the principal is increasingly large as the years pass because this approach leaves no money behind.

Assume a life span of 30 years before you pass on.  Since you cannot estimate how long you live, it is good to work with some buffer.

Assume a higher risk higher return rate of 6% per annum.  This must be a real return rate ie inflation adjusted.

I don't have sophisticated programming skills.  I used an excel spreadsheet and manually adjusted the parameters.  I found that the portion draw down from the principal starts from 1%, and gradually rises to 2% in the 6th year, 3% in the 11th year and so on, till 15% in the 26th year, 45% in the 29th year and finally the remaining balance in the 30th year.  Bear in mind the % is always on the remaining principal. 

If one needs SGD 10,000 to live per month, ie SGD 120,000 per year, one needs investable funds of SGD 1.7 million

If one needs SGD 5,000 to live per month, ie SGD 60,000 per year, one needs investable funds of SGD 850,000.

Under this approach, one cannot retired too early because the principal can only last a cerntain number of years.  In my example above of a remaining life span of 30 years, you can only retired at 50 yo.  Of course, one can adjust the parameter to compute how much is needed if one wants to retire earlier.

Some of you may suggest using a large part of the principal to buy an annuity to take away the uncertainty.  It is feasible but you are giving away quite a bit of margin to the insurance company.

Any comments from anyone?  Have I overlooked any material issues?

Guest Freaked

If you have parents and they have no savings. It is also the children responsibilties to pay for them and look after them when they are medically challenged.  This will inevitably eat up into the children's savings account and ended up, depending on how long your elderly survive (the longer the better), the huge medical expenses are going to be a regular spending (your medisave will be wiped out before you can use it for yourselves) if your parents do not have enough medisave,  Having said that, no one is an island, you may think you can live alone wtih huge savings account, but if some drastic event happen, that savings can be wiped out - mostly from the medical expect depending on seriousness of it. Than the govt may forced you out of your home, if your block is slated for demolition, you have to get a new home, renovation can be costly. Your investments failed, as in Lehman brother case, your savings also wiped out.  Your traders run-road, taking all your coffin-money, your friends cheated on you, your brothers wanted to borrow for his kids education but never return the money resulted in sour relationship.  Your CPF is locked, the minimum payout cannot survive.  The best is, never retired, never stop working, even if you need to serve at Mcondald for that couple hundred dollars. Work as part-time to supplment income for groceries, simple medication and pay for the basic utitltieis, internet.  Singapore is unique in that no one can afford to retire.  

If you have parents and they have no savings. It is also the children responsibilties to pay for them and look after them when they are medically challenged.  This will inevitably eat up into the children's savings account and ended up, depending on how long your elderly survive (the longer the better), the huge medical expenses are going to be a regular spending (your medisave will be wiped out before you can use it for yourselves) if your parents do not have enough medisave,  Having said that, no one is an island, you may think you can live alone wtih huge savings account, but if some drastic event happen, that savings can be wiped out - mostly from the medical expect depending on seriousness of it. Than the govt may forced you out of your home, if your block is slated for demolition, you have to get a new home, renovation can be costly. Your investments failed, as in Lehman brother case, your savings also wiped out.  Your traders run-road, taking all your coffin-money, your friends cheated on you, your brothers wanted to borrow for his kids education but never return the money resulted in sour relationship.  Your CPF is locked, the minimum payout cannot survive.  The best is, never retired, never stop working, even if you need to serve at Mcondald for that couple hundred dollars. Work as part-time to supplment income for groceries, simple medication and pay for the basic utitltieis, internet.  Singapore is unique in that no one can afford to retire.  

If one is so sick or knowing they will be very sick,

isn't it better to go off with a big bang, take a one way ticket vacation, go bungee jumping do things you would not do , but do the happiest thing before you die, take a rickety plane trip to remoteTibet or remotest part of Mongolia or far corners of China, or Russia and die happily, take risks do the highest adreanline thing, jumpo off an airplane, go diving,Use up every last bit of your money to help other people , let them see a kind act, amke them happy, buy them a happy  experience

buy some sort of travel insurance. Do something happy and dangerous and make sure the insurance company will pay the benefit to your family members . as to what to do , you need to use your brains. Read the fine print of the payout and see if you can make them pay out. Of course do what is legally allowable and not be illegal and yet make sure the insurance will pay,

Instead of moping at home waiting to die, make sure your family will benefit from your death financially and yet you do a brave, risky high adrenaline, high octane thing and take a risk, you will die in the end anyway. right .

We all die. We will all die eventually, we usually try to postpone death by being careful, doing low risk things so that we can live longer, and hopefully avoid a fatal terminal disease that eats you up slowly  and cause suffering to you and those close to you.

Why dont break out of the box and tell yourself, suffer in pain or go out with a bang, tell your family you are doing the bravest thing in your life, for them so that they suffer less, they see you suffer less too, only leave the good memories and you also make them feel less gulit.

I use to fear bodily pain, suffering from terminal disease, afraid to take airplane, afraid to do a lot of things, then I see ang Moh, they do all sorts of daredevil things, they are happy till the end. they take risks, some times they die at least they do the things they are happy with and they love doing the things they love.

If you are able to overcome your fear of death and if you can overcome the religious brainwashing that there is punishment and eternal suffering if you dont do religious things, x, y, z , and then don't feel the need to be saved then just do the things you always wanted to do, and make yourself happy before you die.

Why mope around and suffer till the very end?? is it worth it, is it good to make your love ones see you suffer. 

IF you have the money, go with a big bang.

I always suspected the foreigners who jump off Westin Stamford, 60 storeys down , may have a terminal illness, suffering and taking pain relief medication, so they decide to max out their cc , go see the world ,wine and dine, live like a king or queen,  and in the end , they do the ultimate..............I am just guessing, not advocating people to do law breaking things or any illegal, but they are many ways to use your brains and if you know you are dying, why not do the happiest thing and bring happiness to those around you tooo

taking wings into the sky like a bird....

If you are a responsible person of course , you don't do that but what if you spend the very last of you own money and you make everyone around you that you love and strangers happy by buying them a happy experience, before you exit from the world and do something very exciting and high adrenaline, isnt it a  better way to go..............

Purpose of proper financial planning, getting approrpaite insurance policies, making prudent financial investments, etc is to prevent or minimise the above risks.  Also, be smart not to be conned by others.

One has to take responsibiity for one's own affairs, and not blame the govt when things happen.

• 4 months later...
Guest whatshouldido

Can any1 share what expenses and saving breakdown per mth? I find that I'm not saving enough :(

I took home about $5700

Meal (eat at food court + kopi) - $200

Entertainment (eg:movie etc, shopping) - $200

Utility bill (no air con) - $200

Internet - $40

Phone bill - $35

Insurance (aviva saf) - $125

Gym - $68

Parents - $1500

Car (for parents use) - $550

Season parking - $65

Petrol/Carpark - $200

Total expenses per mth: $3183

Approximately saving: $2517

I can save around $30k per yr only

Now all my stocks are in deep red, around $20k profit loss

1 minute ago, Guest whatshouldido said:

Can any1 share what expenses and saving breakdown per mth? I find that I'm not saving enough :(

I took home about $5700

Internet - $40

Phone bill - $35

Gym - $68

Parents - $1500

Season parking - $65

Petrol/Carpark - $200

here's your problem:

Season parking - $65

Petrol/Carpark - $200

TOTAL ON CAR: $815/mth or $9,780/year

stocks fluctuate.  if you're doing regular investment then it's ok i suppose.  they're just paper loss for now (granted there's opportunity cost).

if you're still young, i think you're doing quite ok. 

in fact, hats off to you on your filial piety.  your parents must be quite proud of you. :clap:

10 hours ago, youngpunk said:

here's your problem:

Season parking - $65

Petrol/Carpark - $200

TOTAL ON CAR: $815/mth or $9,780/year

stocks fluctuate.  if you're doing regular investment then it's ok i suppose.  they're just paper loss for now (granted there's opportunity cost).

if you're still young, i think you're doing quite ok. 

in fact, hats off to you on your filial piety.  your parents must be quite proud of you. :clap:

If you are under 30, you seem to be doing fine, but the car is an extravagance now. However, your fillial piety is admirable and no one can tell you whether you should or shouldn't continue paying for it. Good luck!

Financial planning is even more important when one has no children.

11 hours ago, Guest whatshouldido said:

I took home about $5700

Internet - $40

Phone bill - $35

Gym - $68

Parents - $1500

Season parking - $65

Petrol/Carpark - $200

You still need to have a roof over your head in future unless your parents will leave theirs for you.

Savings is a concept for poor people. In reality, if you want to save more, you have to find ways to increase your income.

You could "save" more, by,

- not having that kopi for meals daily or having it from the office, or reducing to several times a week.

- considering whether $1500 is an extravagant or needs for your parents, if eventually the money that is not used goes back to you, it is still a form of savings

- utility for 3 could be reduced to $150 or less

- do you really need a gym

- if you check the distance based fare, you could save 10 cents by stopping a stop or two before your usual stop and walk home as exercise

Eventually, what are you saving for? To buy your sentosa cove condo? Realistic goals based on your current needs (to the extend of not feeling miserable while at it) is more important than scrimping and saving for a no-tomorrow.

On 08/09/2015 at 10:38 PM, Guest guest said:

Any comments from anyone?  Have I overlooked any material issues?

Your monthly needs calculation need to include inflationary figures. 10 years ago, a bowl of noodles didn't cost $3.50. Because the timeframe you are calculating is long, it won't work if you don't include inflation.

On 8 September 2015 at 10:38 PM, Guest guest said:

Assuming a low risk low return rate of 3% per annum.  This must be a real return rate ie inflation adjusted.

If one needs SGD 10,000 to live per month, ie SGD 120,000 per year, one needs investable funds of SGD 4 million

If one needs SGD 5,000 to live per month, ie SGD 60,000 per year, one needs investable funds of SGD 2 million

What kind of conservative investment would I get a 3% returns with the principal protected?

• 5 months later...
On ‎8‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 2:33 AM, Guest whatshouldido said:

I took home about $5700

Internet - $40

Phone bill - $35

Gym - $68

Parents - $1500

Season parking - $65

Petrol/Carpark - $200

have u ever consider if your parent really need a car? Assuming an average taxi ride of $12, $815 per month could make 67 trips which is more than 1 return trip per day. Your utility bill seems a bit too high for non air-con unit, I had 3 pax and 3 air-con on and my monthly bill is only about $150. Your earning is definitely above the national average income and a saving of $2517 is not a bad thing to start with, you can further reduce the gym expenses if you are willing to opt for active sg gym or safra gym ;)

Guest Fatty
3 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

It is true non engineering job pay is lower than engineering job? No matter what is your age, qualification and work experience?

It's the other way round. Engineers in Singapore get technicians pay.

Guest Fatty
1 hour ago, lonelyglobe said:

have u ever consider if your parent really need a car? Assuming an average taxi ride of $12, $815 per month could make 67 trips which is more than 1 return trip per day. Your utility bill seems a bit too high for non air-con unit, I had 3 pax and 3 air-con on and my monthly bill is only about $150. Your earning is definitely above the national average income and a saving of $2517 is not a bad thing to start with, you can further reduce the gym expenses if you are willing to opt for active sg gym or safra gym ;)

But clubfitt and SAFRA gym not cruisy so cannot have fun in the toilet.

Guest Guest
13 minutes ago, Guest Fatty said:

It's the other way round. Engineers in Singapore get technicians pay.

Thought people doing admin jobs get a cleaner pay?

On ‎8‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 6:33 PM, Guest whatshouldido said:

I took home about $5700

Internet - $40

Phone bill - $35

Gym - $68

Parents - $1500

Season parking - $65

Petrol/Carpark - $200

$200 utilities incld scc

if w/o scc, S$200 is a bit high - u living w parents in 5rm?

I used the aircon but not that high

Gym seemed ok'

your expenses very thrifty

U don't go on tour/travel?

regd tax matters(I cannot see the broken iras link someone attached above)

all your insurance can claim reliefs

your courses too (including short ones) to your profession(not hobby) -able to claim tax relief up to S$5500, not a bad deal afterall
Parent relief (if no siblings sharing) - up to 9K
Donations too

https://www.iras.gov.sg/irashome/Individuals/Locals/Working-Out-Your-Taxes/Deductions-for-Individuals--Reliefs--Expenses--Donations-/

and if u topup CPF for your grand/parents, siblings etc - can claim up to 7K

https://www.iras.gov.sg/IRASHome/Individuals/Locals/Working-Out-Your-Taxes/Deductions-for-Individuals/CPF-Cash-Top-up-Relief/

40 minutes ago, lovehandle said:

regd tax matters(I cannot see the broken iras link someone attached above)

all your insurance can claim reliefs

your courses too (including short ones) to your profession(not hobby) -able to claim tax relief up to S$5500, not a bad deal afterall
Parent relief (if no siblings sharing) - up to 9K
Donations too

https://www.iras.gov.sg/irashome/Individuals/Locals/Working-Out-Your-Taxes/Deductions-for-Individuals--Reliefs--Expenses--Donations-/

and if u topup CPF for your grand/parents, siblings etc - can claim up to 7K

https://www.iras.gov.sg/IRASHome/Individuals/Locals/Working-Out-Your-Taxes/Deductions-for-Individuals/CPF-Cash-

Are u new spokesman for IRAS??? 

Saw the other posting on skillsfuture credit also posted on iras matters!!! 

Topic is average salary to live comfortably in sing!!! 

On 2/8/2016 at 6:33 PM, Guest whatshouldido said:

I took home about $5700

Internet - $40

Phone bill - $35

Gym - $68

Parents - $1500

Season parking - $65

Petrol/Carpark - $200

No cpf contribution?

1 hour ago, justanotherme said:

No cpf contribution?

took home pay means after cpf contribution

but since u said your car is for parent use, so u take public transport? i do not see public transport here, unless u got 2 cars, and the patrol refers to your own care

• 1 month later...
Guest Melvin Ng

I'm earning 5digits after 40 hrs of OT but still not enough. Standard of living getting higher. If body not that strong, my family would end up hungry. 3 youngers bros are still ar school.

Guest pikachu
10 hours ago, Guest Melvin Ng said:

I'm earning 5digits after 40 hrs of OT but still not enough. Standard of living getting higher. If body not that strong, my family would end up hungry. 3 youngers bros are still ar school.

$2000 family income per month is possible to live comfortably for a family of 3-4. No need car, family eat out once every Sunday at hawker. No need air conditioning rooms. Use ceiling fan. 

last time I started part time at McDonald when I was 13yo Sec 1. I earned my own pocket money. My parents did not control much me and my bro. No private tuition classes. School provides many remedy classes free. Just must be back home for dinner at 6pm with family. Once every one to two years my Dad would bring us to Malaysia for holiday by express bus.

Live a simple life can still be a happy life. Money enough or not is all upto your own desires.

2 minutes ago, Guest pikachu said:

$2000 family income per month is possible to live comfortably for a family of 3-4. No need car, family eat out once every Sunday at hawker. No need air conditioning rooms. Use ceiling fan. 

last time I started part time at McDonald when I was 13yo Sec 1. I earned my own pocket money. My parents did not control much me and my bro. No private tuition classes. School provides many remedy classes free. Just must be back home for dinner at 6pm with family. Once every one to two years my Dad would bring us to Malaysia for holiday by express bus.

Live a simple life can still be a happy life. Money enough or not is all upto your own desires.

This is the type of mindset that worries me as a Singaporean. Yes, it is possible to get by with $2000. But what are your savings? What about your FUTURE? Even if "Money enough or not is all upto your own desires", do you desire to only live the way you did? Don't you desire anything better? There are too many youngsters with this type of mentality nowadays and it's a worrying trend. And this coupled with how opportunities in our country are given to other nationalities first, is going to start breeding the downfall of this entire nation in this generation or next. Watch these words. The writings are already on the wall.

Guest Pikachu
22 minutes ago, Guest Guest said:

There are too many youngsters with this type of mentality nowadays and it's a worrying trend. And this coupled with how opportunities in our country are given to other nationalities first, is going to start breeding the downfall of this entire nation in this generation or next. Watch these words. The writings are already on the wall.

You are all wrong about the current generation. My view is most local youngsters now a day has lost much fighting spirit comparing with our older generation. Most Youngsters now just want the easier way and enjoy life first and don't want to take up challenge to fight and compete. While other nationalities such as pinoys and PRC I see they lick boots, open up ass, pick up difficult job and they fight for credits from boss.

one example is my Nephew. We were planning for a holiday to Malaysia KL. To save cost we can stay at Cousin relative house. Nephew said don't want to go unless going stay at 4-5 stars hotel. You see now aday youngster not yet earn money already want to enjoy life. Last time I need to work part time to earn pocket money. Now they just hand out and expect you to give out money.

i think the root problem is younger generation is too pampered by parents which makes them weak and lost the will to compete and strive for key position in company. Bosses are mostly fair. They select their CEO or manager based on several factors like obedient, boot licking, open ass, but main factors are able to solve problem, do difficult job, make tough decision to sack workers, bear all shit responsibility.

36 minutes ago, Guest Pikachu said:

You are all wrong about the current generation. My view is most local youngsters now a day has lost much fighting spirit comparing with our older generation. Most Youngsters now  just want the easier way and enjoy life first and don't want to take up challenge to fight and compete. While other nationalities such as pinoys and PRC I see they lick boots, open up ass, pick up difficult job and they fight for credits from boss.

one example is my Nephew. We were planning for a holiday to Malaysia KL. To save cost we can stay at Cousin relative house. Nephew said don't want to go unless going stay at 4-5 stars hotel. You see now aday youngster not yet earn money already want to enjoy life. Last time I need to work part time to earn pocket money. Now they just hand out and expect you to give out money.

i think the root problem is younger generation is too pampered by parents which makes them weak and lost the will to compete and strive for key position in company. Bosses are mostly fair. They select their CEO or manager based on several factors like obedient, boot licking, open ass, but main factors are able to solve problem, do difficult job, make tough decision to sack workers, bear all shit responsibility.

I have a very different opinion from you. While it is true that the younger generation may want things easier for them, what do you really expect from a progressing nation? You should get more worried if the youngsters now still expect to work in a farm or sleep on a hard bed. It's only normal for the newer generation to get more materialistic. We are not like many of the Americans or the Europeans where they can just quit to live some simple lives and go into some entrepreneurial startups without worrying about the cost of living creeping up on them. Anyone who do that will one day wake up to suddenly realize that there's not enough bacon on the table here in Singapore.

I disagree when you say that bosses are mostly fair. They select their CEO or manager based on several factors, but the key importance is that of CHEAP LABOR. Yes, even though the fighting spirit of younger generations is lower than that of other nationalities, but why do you want everyone to be FIGHTING all the time? To make it worse, what fighting spirit do you expect to be left in a generation of people sidelined by our own government, which is known to sing the praises foreign trash whom they invite to take over the jobs of the locals. Any fighting spirits will be gone to the dogs by now.

My late uncle who got everything but never happy at all....he commit suicide.

He was 35 year old when he end his life with a bottle of sleeping pill and belt to hang himself....plus volka.

My grandmum keep his diary - and destroy it before she demise....i help her to discard by flipping a few pages.

Yes my uncle was to driven to proof everyone ...excel in his ability and please everyone except himself.

i m only one who make him happy when we play board game ...monopoly....bcz i let him win all the hotel and houses....actually, i dun know how to play...i can't buy because i spend the money on jail term.

In life, sometime is good not to win too much to forget what we have.

4 minutes ago, Diamond said:

He was 35 year old when he end his life with a bottle of sleeping pill and belt to hang himself....plus volka.

My grandmum keep his diary - and destroy it before she demise....i help her to discard by flipping a few pages.

Yes my uncle was to driven to proof everyone ...excel in his ability and please everyone except himself.

i m only one who make him happy when we play board game ...monopoly....bcz i let him win all the hotel and houses....actually, i dun know how to play...i can't buy because i spend the money on jail term.

I am very sorry to hear about your loss. But we are not talking about pleasing anyone or everyone here. We are also not talking about winning anything here. We are merely talking about survival, for the present and also for the future. And if anything, why is the government making it so tough for Singaporeans to survive by making it so easy for foreigners to shine?  

3 minutes ago, Guest Guest said:

I am very sorry to hear about your loss. But we are not talking about pleasing anyone or everyone here. We are also not talking about winning anything here. We are merely talking about survival, for the present and also for the future. And if anything, why is the government making it so tough for Singaporeans to survive by making it so easy for foreigners to shine?  

don't have to be sorry since you dun know me....

3 minutes ago, Diamond said:

don't have to be sorry since you dun know me....

We do not need to know each other to feel for the other. That's what compassion is all about.

I wasn't hypocritical. But in case you have felt offended by my words stating that I was sorry for your loss, I retract them.

Take care.

5 minutes ago, Guest Guest said:

We do not need to know each other to feel for the other. That's what compassion is all about.

I wasn't hypocritical. But in case you have felt offended by my words stating that I was sorry for your loss, I retract them.

Take care.

why you sound dun be mean...

40 minutes ago, youngpunk said:

government might have made it easy for foreigners to come in, but how has it made it easy for them to shine?

for one, no reservist commitments?

5 hours ago, Diamond said:

Diamond
tks for sharing this, at what age was u when u r playing w him?

This must be very long ago right?

Singapore has already maxed out its potential whether it is the government or the people.

The government does not seem to be able to cope with daily crisis despite being paid $$$.

As for the people, we all know too well that we have lost competitiveness in the human resource. Sporeans used to work hard, but now, no matter how hard  we work, we cannot rival the foreigners who are willing to work harder. And face it, some of them are smart too.

32 minutes ago, Guest Guest said:

Singapore has already maxed out its potential whether it is the government or the people.

The government does not seem to be able to cope with daily crisis despite being paid $$$.

As for the people, we all know too well that we have lost competitiveness in the human resource. Sporeans used to work hard, but now, no matter how hard  we work, we cannot rival the foreigners who are willing to work harder. And face it, some of them are smart too.

The same problem is faced by any mature economies from the USA to EU to Australia etc. So which one of them opened their doors wide to all foreigners, with the exception of Britain (and look what happened)?

Guest Pikachu

Now aday youngsters are getting more and more materialistic. Do understand why lady must carry LV bag or at least MK bag. Ask Nephew to go play Basketball together. He said need to wear Nike sport shoe. Nike singlet. Why normal sandal can not meh? Normal t-shirt can not meh?

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.