Male HQ

I Am Gay, But I Can't Accept Myself + 同性恋不能接受自己是同性恋 + depressed for being gay (Compiled)

BlaAnima2

Hi Andrew!

You could seek some help with the team down at Oogachaga, who will be willing to help you, though there is a small fee you have to pay for the sessions with their counsellors. However, if you're tight on finances, let them know, and they should be able to work something out for you. 

Alternatively, if you would prefer a community setting, you can try going to the Free Community Church, which has services on Sunday, around 10.30am last time I went - which was earlier this year. It's not for everyone, but during my time there, I did have many meaningful and deep conversations with the individuals who attend the services. I could listen to myself and understand where all this self-loathing was coming from, and put it into words through my conversations. It was cathartic. I left the church only because I could not feel connected to the religious beliefs they have, but I still keep in touch with a few of the friends I made there. 

Not sure if this helps, but I want you to know it's good that you're acknowledging how you're feeling, and reaching out to get help. Please press on! :)

Guest Words of wisdom

Please do not subscribe to the indigenous beliefs of people from third world countries - it would do well for you to check out what are these countries and their dominant religions. Neither should you espouse the ideologies of abrahamic religious groups. Please slice though their friendly facades to discover their real hate and discrimination festering underneath.

Do take whatever Oogachaga says with a pinch of salt. Some of their senior consellors may have personal issues and demons to exorcise. And they may do it through and in front of you. Selfish? Yes. Not all of them are angels.

Guest Words of wisdom
9 minutes ago, Guest Words of wisdom said:

Please do not subscribe to the indigenous beliefs of people from third world countries - it would do well for you to check out what are these countries and their dominant religions. Neither should you espouse the ideologies of abrahamic religious groups. Please slice though their friendly facades to discover their real hate and discrimination festering underneath.

Do take whatever Oogachaga says with a pinch of salt. Some of their senior consellors may have personal issues and demons to exorcise. And they may do it through and in front of you. Selfish? Yes. Not all of them are angels.

In addition: despite popular sentiments, Singapore in essence, is Third world.

Guest Inconsistency
9 hours ago, Andrew ang525 said:

Yes, i have a lot of self-hate, and i am deeply depressed.

Due to poor financial state, where can i get help?

The  title and the reason seems contradictory.   Was it due to financial reason that you hate being gay or because you are gay you have financial difficulty.

7 hours ago, doncoin said:

Why do you think you have self-hate? Where did you learn to hate?

I hate being gay, it brings too much discrimination and it actually ruin my life (i am 55) 
where ---  multiple.  from young, school, then churches....
and the society (that time late 70s -90s ) very discriminative.

1 hour ago, Guest Inconsistency said:

The  title and the reason seems contradictory.   Was it due to financial reason that you hate being gay or because you are gay you have financial difficulty.

Depressed because i hate being gay (see above)

But financial reason -- because too costly to pay psychologist or pyschiatrist, so i cannot seek treatment.  I hold a blue CHAS card, meaning average income of family is near 1000 only.

Guest Chuckie killed him

He must have spent all his hard-earned pennies on surrogate treatments. Child bearing is an expensive impulse some Singaporean gays can do away with. Le sighs.

Guest Heaven & Earth
1 hour ago, Andrew ang525 said:

But financial reason -- because too costly to pay psychologist or pyschiatrist, so i cannot seek treatment.  I hold a blue CHAS card, meaning average income of family is near 1000 only.

If you are still healthy, that is more than enough to live a fulfilling happy life.   I have seen patient wearing rolex watch and thick gold chain being wheeled into hospital emergency room where the nurses have to persuade the  groaning guy to take it off.  The next thing you saw, he was  as homogenous as the other poor patients sharing the same ward.  Nothing spectacular nor special about him.  Poverty is rather relative or subjective topic, as much as being gay is controversial in religion, depending on where you place your brain and your heart.   You are lucky to live @55 and still counting, if you ever follow Singapore news closely.   I am sure, your prarents must be very proud of your longevity wherever they are.

Guest concern

Now this guy is having depression!Not as if he wanting to,but helplessly seeking constructive advises HERE.If i were to be in his shoe hearing all these bragging comments,it will be sucidal.And that i do understand coming here seeking for a refuge is harsher than keeping it silent.There are times that i heard from people seeking spritual,when their family actually beliefs is other religion.And that i do think GOD is helping,but some just hypocritically neglects and instead going for obsessive ritual to rid adversity.Enough of hypocrites!

Hi Andrew, we hear you and it is hard indeed, a real situation for many. If you're still exploring (or thinking about) Guest Hey's suggestion, hope the following found for you may offer some interim help:

The Psychological Impact of LGBT Discrimination

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/brick-brick/201402/the-psychological-impact-lgbt-discrimination

Counseling the Gay and Lesbian Client: Treatment Issues and Conversion Therapy

https://allpsych.com/journal/counselinggay/

The Truth About Gay Men and Depression

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/max-dubowy/the-truth-about-gay-men-a_b_9474496.html

http://maxdubowy.com/

4 hours ago, Andrew ang525 said:

I hate being gay, it brings too much discrimination and it actually ruin my life (i am 55) 

Dear Andrew,

it is beneficial that you are able to admit to yourself that you are gay, 

despite social pressures and discriminations that you have faced.

I think then the next part is for you to reflect deeper into why

that translates into hate for yourself.

Many times, we judge ourselves by putting certain standards,

be it dogma of religion, family standards, or just self-expectation.

I would like to suggest that the hate or aggression/frustration 

you feel might have arisen from the expectations you have on yourself,

and the reality of who you are.

could that be the reason why?

In all outcomes, where healing is the destination, we have to learn to accept.
i think this is first and foremost, the core lesson you have to acquire,

even if you seek professional counselling or help.

what are aspects of yourself that can be improved for the better?

and what cannot? if they cannot be changed, how can you forgive these

and learn to accept them?

it is from an inner love that you have reached out to us.
something has directed you to attempt a search for clarity.
acknowledge this as a sign of strength.

we all hope you find this love for yourself, and nourish it

in a healthy way towards a productive existence.

every day is a blessing, even though when deep in depression,

it may seem like a curse.

an exercise i find helpful and sobering for myself, 

is to remind myself that others have greater challenges set out for them.

it might not all be great and rosy, but i am grateful for what i do have.

in hindsight, that are many others who would kill for a portion of what we have. 
for the shelter, food, health, money that we have.

there are some who have nothing at all.

so let in a little light, to let go of past burdens and forgive the ones

that have hurt or slighted you. 

when you forgive, it is not a sign of who is right or wrong,

but a message to say that you are ready to let go and move on.

when you are lighter, you can feel yourself rising 

out of the darkness, and see a new beginning.

I may not know you, but I believe in you.
best of luck to you, you can do it.

🌑🌒🌓🌔🌕🌖🌗🌘🌑

1 hour ago, tomcat said:

Dear Andrew,

it is beneficial that you are able to admit to yourself that you are gay, 

despite social pressures and discriminations that you have faced.

I think then the next part is for you to reflect deeper into why

that translates into hate for yourself.

Many times, we judge ourselves by putting certain standards,

be it dogma of religion, family standards, or just self-expectation.

I would like to suggest that the hate or aggression/frustration 

you feel might have arisen from the expectations you have on yourself,

and the reality of who you are.

could that be the reason why?

In all outcomes, where healing is the destination, we have to learn to accept.
i think this is first and foremost, the core lesson you have to acquire,

even if you seek professional counselling or help.

what are aspects of yourself that can be improved for the better?

and what cannot? if they cannot be changed, how can you forgive these

and learn to accept them?

it is from an inner love that you have reached out to us.
something has directed you to attempt a search for clarity.
acknowledge this as a sign of strength.

we all hope you find this love for yourself, and nourish it

in a healthy way towards a productive existence.

every day is a blessing, even though when deep in depression,

it may seem like a curse.

an exercise i find helpful and sobering for myself, 

is to remind myself that others have greater challenges set out for them.

it might not all be great and rosy, but i am grateful for what i do have.

in hindsight, that are many others who would kill for a portion of what we have. 
for the shelter, food, health, money that we have.

there are some who have nothing at all.

so let in a little light, to let go of past burdens and forgive the ones

that have hurt or slighted you. 

when you forgive, it is not a sign of who is right or wrong,

but a message to say that you are ready to let go and move on.

when you are lighter, you can feel yourself rising 

out of the darkness, and see a new beginning.

I may not know you, but I believe in you.
best of luck to you, you can do it.

Wow!you are saint!So what admits that he is gay!

10 hours ago, Andrew ang525 said:

Discrimination will exist in one form or another. If it is not to do with you being gay, it could be you being old, or your ethnicity, fat vs. thin etc. Unfortunately, we will figure out ways to discriminate, unless we keep a conscious mind about it. Supposedly if society decides to discriminate people over 65kg. If you weigh 66kg should you start letting society to tell you to hate yourself? 

Being gay s who you are. Have you ever met any straight guy who hates being straight and wishes he was gay? 

Don't think so. So you need to embrace yourself first. If you cannot love yourself, then how can you expect someone else to love you as you are?  

Love. 

The good thing is you know yr situation : u r depressed, well, u can help yrself without spending on any pysciatrist,instead of wallow in self pity, why not channel yrself to positive energy, eg exercise, body building, love yrself more. It works on me,  i work out and swim almost every day, just to tire myself out, whem i see changes in me, i feel good.

Guest concern

The world now is facing so many rage and protesting!Worse there are so many precautious events to deal and manage.Your depression is somehow preventable through sexual awarness.

On 12/11/2017 at 10:59 AM, Andrew ang525 said:

I somehow understand how you feel because I struggled with with being gay myself too, to the fact that I have suicide thoughts. Don't wallow up living a life full of in sadness because no one will pity you, that's what I've learnt. Being gay is not armageddon and you can see so many gays hanging out at gay pubs drinking beers/whisky and kissing openly with no worries

At age 55, no need think so much and live the world you want it to be. No one but yourself is judging you only, the world is no longer like the 70s... that's the past, welcome to 2018 (soon). Live everyday like it's the last.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Andrew ang525 said:

I am very lost, i loss all direction of living, There is no meaning to continue living... i cannot change my eventual destruction.

Hi! There are support groups for the LGBT community in Singapore. Talk to a counsellor or a staff member and share with them what you are feeling. Being gay is nothing to be ashamed of. Be proud of who you are regardless what the world may think. Do not let what others say affect you. Only you can decide how to live your life. Not them. Seek help and know that there will always be people who will accept you and embrace you as you are. 

Love. 

Guest Polyclinic
On 11/12/2017 at 11:01 AM, Andrew ang525 said:

You can check out the psychology services at our polyclinics. They are very affordable due to  the subsidies.

Eg.

https://www.nhgp.com.sg/Our_Services/General_Medical_Services/Psychology__Services/

On 12/21/2017 at 11:34 AM, Guest Polyclinic said:

You can check out the psychology services at our polyclinics. They are very affordable due to  the subsidies.

Eg.

https://www.nhgp.com.sg/Our_Services/General_Medical_Services/Psychology__Services/

Unfortunately, Singhealth does not offer similar, must go either KK or SGH.

I had a friend who wanted to committed suicide by swallowing lots of pills. He called me and told me that he had attempted suicide. So I rushed down and at the same time called to SOS. The person over the phone told me that if someone wants to die, no one can stop them. They would had already been dead.
Those who want to die but not die immediately but call friends and family are those who are seeking attention that they feels like dying but have not have the courage to die yet.

So, if you are still on BW posting about dying, yet, you are basically seeking attention which none of us here can help.

We are not professional counsellors or psychiatrist. 

You might want to call Oogachaga counsellors for help or SOS for that matter. It's still not too late.

There are many ways one can die.
Jumping off buildings : but die with every bones fractured or head smashed with brains splatted all over the floor or on a car. Messy death
Hanging : Don't die immediately, the face will turn purple and tongue sticks out and if found a few days later, body decomposed and smelly. Messy & ugly death
Swallow insecticide : The throat all internal organs burned and dies a painful death. Worst is you don't die but ends up not able to talk or swallow food.  Painful death.
Sleeping pills : Dies peacefully, but if found early, will be sent to hospital and get the stomach pumped to get the pills out. If found after few days, will be bloated and smelly.

Should you decide to die, make sure it's less messy and less troublesome for people. Also remember to write a will or a parting letter for your friends and family.

Anyway, you do know that they will harvest your good organs and implant them on those who is sickly and who knows, you might save a few others while you are gone. 功德无量!

Oh, before I forgot, my friend did not die and many years after being discharged from hospital, he is living a healthy and fruitful life and he is still gay and happily attached and more mature and less emo now.

Edited by GachiMuchi

7 hours ago, GachiMuchi said:

There are many ways one can die.
Jumping off buildings : but die with every bones fractured or head smashed with brains splatted all over the floor or on a car. Messy death
Hanging : Don't die immediately, the face will turn purple and tongue sticks out and if found a few days later, body decomposed and smelly. Messy & ugly death
Swallow insecticide : The throat all internal organs burned and dies a painful death. Worst is you don't die but ends up not able to talk or swallow food.  Painful death.
Sleeping pills : Dies peacefully, but if found early, will be sent to hospital and get the stomach pumped to get the pills out. If found after few days, will be bloated and smelly.

Should you decide to die, make sure it's less messy and less troublesome for people. Also remember to write a will or a parting letter for your friends and family.

Anyway, you do know that they will harvest your good organs and implant them on those who is sickly and who knows, you might save a few others while you are gone. 功德无量!

Oh, before I forgot, my friend did not die and many years after being discharged from hospital, he is living a healthy and fruitful life and he is still gay and happily attached and more mature and less emo now.

Thank you for the PSA,

it is timely, because Xmas/holiday time

we see a lot of suicide attempts.

This season holds a lot of pressure

and expectations, especially for people

who might feel alone or abanndoned.

Basically, suicide is just messy for everyone.

Least of all, members of the home team

(police and ambulance) who tend to these calls.

keep in mind, that if you attempt suicide

by jumping off estates, road bridges etc,

endangering the lives of others,

this is seen as a criminal act,
so if you survive, you will be charged.

Suicide is not the solution, 

it is just a means of escape.

but if you learn to escape through other ways,

productive ways, your pain is relieved,

and suicide becomes unnecessary.

take care all,

let's step into a brighter & happier 2018.

🌑🌒🌓🌔🌕🌖🌗🌘🌑

My fren was in similar situation. One bad relationship after another tore up all confidence. He wondered if homosexuality main cause for depression.

Since he was so down he thought it couldnt get any worse. He chose volunteer work overseas during long leave. Now he helps look after a family member with special needs.

Strangely he told me its been a lot better when he focusses energy on others. When all energy focus on 1 sppt tends to be more self destructive.

I think all can have depression.It is just a matter of time,of the right ingredients that obtained from endurance.I doubt if only there are no love idiot who played with feelings,such thing won’t occurred.Most likely,it was the underage that got the worse treatment aftermath.sickening

tf is wrong with all of you man.

TS, please seek help. Try talking to a very good friend (who you know won't judge you) or something. If all else fails, try calling Befrienders or something (if Singapore has one).

Do your best to ignore the idiots. Keep us updated on how you are here.

Guest Dump Google translate
4 hours ago, Guest Pc42 said:

I think all can have depression.It is just a matter of time,of the right ingredients that obtained from endurance.I doubt if only there are no love idiot who played with feelings,such thing won’t occurred.Most likely,it was the underage that got the worse treatment aftermath.sickening

Can write in chinese instead of using google translate? Reading your sentence made my headache worse.

Guest Massive

let’s just be accommodating with this poor thread starter who want advise to ease the depression.Nothing can’t be solved,so let’s continue throwing bright instead of shade.

On 12/29/2017 at 9:16 PM, Guest Massive said:

let’s just be accommodating with this poor thread starter who want advise to ease the depression.Nothing can’t be solved,so let’s continue throwing bright instead of shade.

Thanks, i am the TS, i am still deeply in trouble, despite seeing the psychiatrist and taking the pills.

6 hours ago, Andrew ang525 said:

Thanks, i am the TS, i am still deeply in trouble, despite seeing the psychiatrist and taking the pills.

Hey TS, as a person who coming from the same field. Make sure you're happy with who you are talking to.

If you are not, just change. Also, I would suggest seeing a clinical psychologist who specializes in your issues as opposed to a psychiatrist (if you opt to change). There is a difference between the two.

While you might feel like shit, try focusing on what you can do now. The past is the past. It's not too late to try something new now!

Again, give us updates!

5 hours ago, iwannac said:

Hey TS, as a person who coming from the same field. Make sure you're happy with who you are talking to.

If you are not, just change. Also, I would suggest seeing a clinical psychologist who specializes in your issues as opposed to a psychiatrist (if you opt to change). There is a difference between the two.

While you might feel like shit, try focusing on what you can do now. The past is the past. It's not too late to try something new now!

Again, give us updates!

from the same field ----- This part i do not understand?  Do you mean you are a mental health practitioner (either psychiatrist or psychologist?)  I am aware of the differences, i had seen both when i was in UK as undergraduates.

But in singapore, all the doctors could refer me to are psychiatrist, and i do not have access to psychologist (unless IMH psychiatrist refer me), i cannot walk into IMH to request for psychologist.....

yes, i am feeling shlt, especially after seeing the recent court ruling on surrogacy child.

Maybe i can add, i (had been) a ultra conservative christian, that come from a ultra conservative christian family...... so i am very homophobic right from extreme young age, and it is very difficult to live under deception.

Edited by Andrew ang525

2 minutes ago, Andrew ang525 said:

from the same field ----- This part i do not understand?  Do you mean you are a mental health practitioner (either psychiatrist or psychologist?)  I am aware of the differences, i had seen both when i was in UK as undergraduates.

But in singapore, all the doctors could refer me to are psychiatrist, and i do not have access to psychologist (unless IMH psychiatrist refer me), i cannot walk into IMH to request for psychologist.....

yes, i am feeling shlt, especially after seeing the recent court ruling on surrogacy child.

I'm not too familiar with how Singapore works; but you don't actually need a doctor's referral if you want to visit a psychologist. Just google up and go to the independent institutions straight. Again, try googling the issues you are facing, as most psychologists tend to "specialize" in certain issues.

In most non-health/non-biological related cases, they're better. Financially though, it may be a burden. But if you're seeing a psychiatrist now, theoretically speaking, a psychologist should be cheaper.

Don't be so disheartened by it, at least people are talking about it and somewhat acknowledging the issues we are facing as opposed to constantly being silent - as if we don't exist. Everyone has their opinions. People who aren't queer don't understand because they've lived their lives a certain way. This issue, as odd as it may be, could still be considered a baby step forward for Singapore.

On 12/20/2017 at 7:15 AM, Andrew ang525 said:

I am very lost, i loss all direction of living, There is no meaning to continue living... i cannot change my eventual destruction.

This thread is interesting in the amount of care and interest to help you. This must influence you in a positive way, even if you don't recognize it.

Like GM stated, if you were serious about suicide you would have done it already. You won't do it, not for fear, but because you recognize that you are too valuable to be destroyed.

I read elsewhere that you are 55 y.o. and concerned about old age.  You are also dwelling about surrogacy.  Maybe the two are connected and you think that having children is a best form of protection in old age. 

I have some experience here.  In a few months I will be 75 y.o.  At your age I was already divorced, with one child.  I lived most of my earlier life in the closet, and I didn't made a tragedy out of it or out of being gay.  My child is a successful professional and I am the proudest about this.  But it does not go much further.  I don't think a child is something essential in life, and after the child is grown up and independent it makes little difference from being childless.  I don't count on my child for support any more than I count on the social services in my country, the US.  I never planned to have the child as a protection for old age. Instead, what I always found OF PARAMOUNT IMPORTANCE is to remain HEALTHY and STRONG, and secure an income in retirement that does not have to be very large for a single senior.

If you are now 55, you are at an ideal age to start preparing for the future, that is, to be a successful senior.  At 55 you are already at an age of decreasing probability of depression and conflict, and if you can avoid major tragedies, you will get happier the older you are. This sounds like an absurdity but it is true.  When we age, those crucial issues that contributed to our unhappiness and depressions start to lose their grip and we gain increasing peace.  When you age, you will once and for all go beyond all the stupid falsities that condemn homosexuality and you start to see the benefits of it.  Not only will you accept your homosexuality, but you will be more positive about satisfying it guilt-free.  I think of so many acquaintances who are happy sex tourists supporting the gogo boys in Bangkok and Pattaya...  feeling that they are doing a positive social work. And they are... in their way!

At 55, free of wife and children and liberated from family impositions that should never have existed, you can dedicate your full life TO YOURSELF.  You will find out that this is not selfish but, by seeking your own happiness and well being, you will be empowered to help other people who deserve the same but are not that fortunate. You need to start caring about your nutrition and become expert in what food is best for your health, your body.  You need to hit the gym and work out hard with weights, so that 20 years later you not only have maintained your shape but improved it if necessary.  You need to stop worrying about your career, but find ways to do your present job with much less stress.  You need to stop thinking that if you have problems now they will get much worse the older you get,  because this is a BIG misconception.  You need to stop dwelling on what you don't have, but recognize that you came to this world with nothing, and anything you have is a blessing.  Isn't there a religious motto behind this?  "give up the worries about the world (the material things), give away what you have to the poor, and follow me (gain spiritual peace)".  You don't need to give anything away, except your concern for the different values other people may have and the ways they could judge you. 

19 hours ago, Steve5380 said:

At your age I was already divorced, with one child.  I lived most of my earlier life in the closet, and I didn't made a tragedy out of it or out of being gay.  My child is a successful professional and I am the proudest about this.  

Does this mean you did not regret marrying a woman and having a child? Did having a child make you life more purposeful?

52 minutes ago, Guest Guest said:

Does this mean you did not regret marrying a woman and having a child? Did having a child make you life more purposeful?

That's right.  I never did regret it.  And having a child can be a blessing.  It can also be a curse, depending on the circumstances.

• G_M changed the title to I Am Gay, But I Can't Accept Myself + 同性恋不能接受自己是同性恋 + depressed for being gay (Compiled)
On 12/11/2017 at 5:21 AM, Guest Words of wisdom said:

are u talking about Y***** L***? i feel he is a bit weird too

🌑🌒🌓🌔🌕🌖🌗🌘🌑

Guest Weird bunch
1 hour ago, tomcat said:

are u talking about Y***** L***? i feel he is a bit weird too

Agree he is weird! Actually he is more than just a bit weird! In fact the whole bunch of them are more than a bit weird. They all looked odd and a little out of wack. But i wasn’t refering to him. I actually forgotten his name. He was a bald fellow, wearing glasses and looked kind of malay egyptian. Most of them are the bitchy sisterly type. Wonder what possessed them to become counsellors in the first place. Stress in life?

1 hour ago, Guest Weird bunch said:

Agree he is weird! Actually he is more than just a bit weird! In fact the whole bunch of them are more than a bit weird. They all looked odd and a little out of wack. But i wasn’t refering to him. I actually forgotten his name. He was a bald fellow, wearing glasses and looked kind of malay egyptian. Most of them are the bitchy sisterly type. Wonder what possessed them to become counsellors in the first place. Stress in life?

There are some oogachacha counsellors here.. Anyway it's good to let them know they are no angels. Sad. 

Guest Oxymoronic
23 minutes ago, Guest Guest said:

There are some oogachacha counsellors here.. Anyway it's good to let them know they are no angels. Sad. 

Strange that such bitchy people opted to become councellors yeah? The ironies of life!

To consult counselors may not be a bad idea, and they may not hurt.   They can make one think in a different way, and this can be enough to overcome a crisis. But they don't have a gift of absolute wisdom.  I remember as a teen with some suicidal thoughts I had consultations with a psychoanalyst for several months, and nothing came out of that... except that the idea of suicide somehow went away. (in those old days "analysis" was thought to be useful).  We can be OUR OWN big help.  There is a saying in Spanish: "ayudate que Dios te ayudara" meaning that "help yourself so that God will help you", also translated "God will help those who help themselves".  Of course this is not always physically possible, but when it comes to attitudes, emotions,  mental health we can bootstrap ourselves. 

No one can make suicide thought go away, but talking to someone who might understand the situation or for a suicidal person to talk to and hear their pain / troubles may help. Sometimes, they just need someone to listen to their pain / hurt and have them able to empatise with them.

• Guest locked this topic
  • G_M unlocked this topic
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.