Male HQ

Wonderful Dim Sum Delicacies.

Hey All, 

as a DIm Sum lover myself, i would like to share my fair little of knowledge about dim sum places in singapore. If possible would like to find out some good recommendations too. 

I guess everyone would know of this Red Star (In Chinese: Hong Xin) Restaurant in Chinatown the authentic best trolley/push-cart  SODAMNAWESOME Hong Kong style in singapore. It is usually very packed or full house on certain days that you have to make reservations. But however you will need to wake up super early too D: which is usually not motivating enough as a nocturnal myself.

Other awesome DIm Sums that i probably know of are He Bao Ji where they have franchises over singapore like Tiong Bahru Pau but they kinda lack varaties.

My supper dim sum cravings would always be Swee Choon where they open 6-6 (6pm-6am) in FarrerPark/Little India and not to forget the unique area in singapore called GEYLANG 126 !!! Opened 24hrs if im not wrong. 

The more atas which will burn your pocket  which i tried before (PS: i am no ladyironchef hence i dont go around trying delicacies for a living but i love good food.) as so far only Paradise group (Taste Paradise located at ION Orchard one of the best, as well as Paradise Pavilion In MBFC Tower1 or Tower3.

Thanks guys ! Cheer ~ :D

I find Swee Choon's standard have dropped, in addition their Dim Sum sizes have shrunk. One of the attraction would probably be their operating hours of 6pm to 6 am. Satisfy late night Dim Sum craving.. Haha..

I feel that Yum Cha around Chinatown is pretty decent, not stingy on their prawns in their Dim Sum dishes, pretty good ambience too.. 

As for Wen Dao Shi (搵到食), there have lots of variety but I find their stuffs pretty oily..

The famous Tim Ho Wan 添好運, tried the one in HK, personally i feel it's not worth the long queue & waiting time..

I find Swee Choon's standard have dropped, in addition their Dim Sum sizes have shrunk. One of the attraction would probably be their operating hours of 6pm to 6 am. Satisfy late night Dim Sum craving.. Haha..

I feel that Yum Cha around Chinatown is pretty decent, not stingy on their prawns in their Dim Sum dishes, pretty good ambience too.. 

The first time i had it was way before they started the Shanghai Dian Xing part. 

They used to be like 2 shop houses instead of the current 4-5 shop houses.

Their dim sum was super awesome then and quite cheap too. 

Since they have gained fame and people flocking there, their standard like what was mentioned really dropped.

I feels like eating from some factory production stuff.

As for Wen Dao Shi (搵到食), there have lots of variety but I find their stuffs pretty oily..

The famous Tim Ho Wan 添好運, tried the one in HK, personally i feel it's not worth the long queue & waiting time..

Agreed!

Wen Dao Shi (搵到食) is oily but I like the feel of the place as the tables are by the roadside and it's pretty nostalgic.

I've tried Tim Ho Wan 添好運 recently, didn't have to wait long. They have a different taste of dim sum that I'm not accustomed to. Very unlikely to visit these 2 places again.

There's one restaurant at Toa Payoh which I like...think it's called Hong Yun (Fortune?).

Have a very traditional feel to it. Much like Red Star with the trolleys.

There's also Yun Nan Garden. They used to operate at Tampines Mall but has relocated to else where (One-North?) for some years. They have the crunchiest and tastiest jellyfish appetizer. I haven't found another that can be called its equal.

But my dependable dim sum restaurant has to be the Tung Lok chain of restaurants.

I used to go for the a la carte buffet at East Coast. Not sure if they still have this though.

After all, tomorrow is another day. ~ S O'Hara

Really depends on your price point that you want to go for.

The more pricey places may not be everyone's cup of tea, but they will have their following.  Li Bai (at Sheraton Towers), Yan Ting (at St Regis), Hua Ting (at Orchard Hotel), Mandarin Court (at Mandarin Orchard), Summer Pavilion (at Ritz Carlton), and others of that class will give you a different ambience, service and quality to the dim sum you bite into.  Though they can be pretty darn expensive (like the damned Mandarin...)

There are times that one will prefer to go slum it out.  I do enjoy my Tiong Bahru Pau (the market stall) char siew pau once in a while.  And there was this coffee shop along Upper Serangoon my bf bought some very nice lava yolk pau last year (I don't know its name).  When I get the craving, even the common hawker stall will suffice.  Personally, I haven't stepped into Red Star for 4 years now, can't stand the crazy crowds.  As for Swee Choon.... eh, overhyped and dropped standards.  

Instagram @the_meowprince

In terms of value for money, I would say Jade Fullerton gives you pretty good value for your buck.

Jade @ Fullerton Dim Sum is not bad.. Tried A La Carte instead of buffet though..

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.