Male HQ

Vinyl Record Lovers

Creampie

No ...bro.. I've only managed to lug that massive 19kg power-amp to my dining room...and all the other equipment. 

I have to now move the LP shelving which has my CD shelving on top!! Gosh 300+cds!! ... then I've got to lay the wires for the surround speakers,  then drill the walls to mount the speakers. Then move shelving back, vacuum the floor/carpet.

And only then ...move my Audio rack in place and start to mount the equipment back on and connecting all the cables, 

Finally test the system 🎶 🎵 🥂  

18 hours ago, SurpriseMEinHere said:

Something NEW in 2024 for active VINYL RECORDS group members to meet?

HEY All, Happy Sunday!

Although we may be the smallest active chat group on BW ... Would you guys be keen to meet up for makan/ drinks after CNY, in late-February/ early-March?

Let's do it shall we, just the 3 of us I guess? 
Anybody else is keen?

11 hours ago, mike_amk said:

No ...bro.. I've only managed to lug that massive 19kg power-amp to my dining room...and all the other equipment. 

I have to now move the LP shelving which has my CD shelving on top!! Gosh 300+cds!! ... then I've got to lay the wires for the surround speakers,  then drill the walls to mount the speakers. Then move shelving back, vacuum the floor/carpet.

And only then ...move my Audio rack in place and start to mount the equipment back on and connecting all the cables, 

Finally test the system 🎶 🎵 🥂  

Oh my ... So, you do need help truly.  Well, do let us know if you need hands to help out ...

9 hours ago, SurpriseMEinHere said:

Oh my ... So, you do need help truly.  Well, do let us know if you need hands to help out ...

Thanks bro, actually I didn't expect this much work...hehe.

The tech guys just left after installing the movie screen.

Now I'll be running the surround system speaker wires ... and do the rest tomorrow. 

I'll see what I can manage,  and give you a shout out if I could do with a hand ️ 

Cheers 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/22/2024 at 7:11 PM, mike_amk said:

Thanks bro, actually I didn't expect this much work...hehe.

The tech guys just left after installing the movie screen.

Now I'll be running the surround system speaker wires ... and do the rest tomorrow. 

I'll see what I can manage,  and give you a shout out if I could do with a hand ️ 

Cheers 

Hey @mike_amk how's the arrangement at Home now?  All done??

Hey bro,

It was darned exhausting.. but I've managed to get all the wiring laid for the home theater system last night. 

My main HiFi System is up and running,  all I need is the phono-preamp for my turntable,  I may head down to Adelphi tomorrow afternoon and hopefully buy one... and then to IKEA to buy some LED strip lights.

Hey guys,

My plan to invite you over tomorrow Fri or Sat for a music listening evening got stonewalled!!

The phono-preamp I've ordered has been delayed due to some logistics issues... darned!! It was supposed to arrive this afternoon,  but will now only arrive in two weeks.

I guess I'll be listening to CD's till then...lol.

Cheers 🥂 Mike 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/2/2024 at 1:08 AM, mike_amk said:

Hey guys,

My plan to invite you over tomorrow Fri or Sat for a music listening evening got stonewalled!!

The phono-preamp I've ordered has been delayed due to some logistics issues... darned!! It was supposed to arrive this afternoon,  but will now only arrive in two weeks.

I guess I'll be listening to CD's till then...lol.

Cheers 🥂 Mike 

Sorry for this late response.  I was locked out of this account after I'd switched phones and I managed to just get back in.

Anyway, HAPPY LONG Nian to you all.  I hope you've been enjoying CNY and the feasting and festivities.

@mike_amk invite us over, even if it's just listening to CDs.  We can have our own CNY Vinyl Kakis Reunion ...

Take care and Happy TGIF-Friyay all!  : ))

5 minutes ago, steppenwolf said:

spacer.png

RSD is here again on Saturday April 20, 2024!

Here's the UK & US lists.  It's time to strategise and get busy!

Thanks for the heads up @steppenwolf.  So, whatcha gonna get this time round??

11 minutes ago, steppenwolf said:

You must scrutinise both lists, bet there're other artistes who might catch your attention...

Don't think I will be buying any more vinyls cos I just bought a bunch of vinyls by Ludovico Euinadi, an Italian pianist and music composer.

I caught him performing at The Esplanade in January too.

4 minutes ago, SurpriseMEinHere said:

Don't think I will be buying any more vinyls cos I just bought a bunch of vinyls by Ludovico Euinadi, an Italian pianist and music composer.

The buying can and will NEVER stop!  Lol

30 minutes ago, steppenwolf said:

Word of the Day - Selective.  ",)

(My list has expanded beyond the 4 listed above now!  Ouch!)

Heh heh heh ...  oMaiGot lor  lol

3 hours ago, SurpriseMEinHere said:

Sadly I missed the concert,  would have loved being there.

Hey... we could plan the next concert night gathering  🥂 

19 hours ago, mike_amk said:

Which upcoming concert/ artist??

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all the sifu here.

Am keen in dabble with vinyls and getting my 1st turntable.

Being a noob, I know nuts.

Wat should I be looking out for?

Thanks in advance

4 hours ago, daniu said:

Hi all the sifu here.

Thanks in advance

Well, how much of a Budget have you set aside (a ballpark range)?  If you could share that, that would help somewhat ...

7 hours ago, daniu said:

Hi all the sifu here.

Thanks in advance

A typical set up would be a turntable, an Amplifier, and a set of Speakers.  That's usually it.  Of cos, depending on your Budget, you will get a range of quality or not-so-quality products.  It also depends on if you're looking to make a substantial investment  or would you prefer something simpler and more affordable ...  something for you to think about also??

Hi Daniu,

As you mentioned your keenness to dabble,  I thought perhaps to keep the setup simple, and go for a basic turntable and listen through headphones. 

Once you know the what you enjoy better, then get the right system within your budget,  perhaps start with an integrated amp that would allow you to add a power amp later on when you upgrade to better speakers.

I'm guessing you stream music as well, so the integrated amp needs to have streaming and a decent on board DAC, or else you're going to need an additional DAC for all your digital devices... 

You could get a good deal on a pre-owned turntable on carousell. 

Cheers,  🥂 Mike 

On 2/16/2024 at 1:56 PM, mike_amk said:

Hey Hey, how's the sound system at Home doing these days?  Set-up completed or close to completion soon?  Happy Weekend.

15 hours ago, SurpriseMEinHere said:

Hey Hey, how's the sound system at Home doing these days?  Set-up completed or close to completion soon?  Happy Weekend.

Yo, my system is up and running with the CD player and the outboard music streamer, but the turntable isn't ready as the phono-preamp I've ordered hasn't arrived... I'm rather pissed off at the vendor for the long delay. 

I'm looking to buy some soundproofing for the walls.

7 hours ago, mike_amk said:

Yo, my system is up and running with the CD player and the outboard music streamer, but the turntable isn't ready as the phono-preamp I've ordered hasn't arrived... I'm rather pissed off at the vendor for the long delay. 

I'm looking to buy some soundproofing for the walls.

Oh wow.  Extensive home project!!!  All da Best!

Hey guys, have any of you tried to share a subwoofer between two systems?

I'm trying to figure this out ... but without much success at the moment. 

46 minutes ago, mike_amk said:

Hey guys, have any of you tried to share a subwoofer between two systems?

I'm trying to figure this out ... but without much success at the moment. 

Sorry, not for me!  I hope the rest can share their input with you @mike_amk

On 3/15/2024 at 2:03 PM, daniu said:

Hi all the sifu here.

Thanks in advance

Guess I'm late to the party and @SurpriseMEinHere & @mike_amk have given you an ideal how to go about too.

I chanced upon this current promo on FB and thought you might want to go check it out and grab a good bargain perhaps?  Promotion is from From 14th - 20th March @ HEAR RECORDS (#01-18 Burlington Square), and they operate daily 11am-730pm & Sundays 12-6pm.

On 3/15/2024 at 6:34 PM, SurpriseMEinHere said:

Well, how much of a Budget have you set aside (a ballpark range)?  If you could share that, that would help somewhat ...

Bro, as I'm really noob in this, have no idea Wats the ball park figure I should aim for... 

Maybe let's say below $500

On 3/15/2024 at 10:04 PM, SurpriseMEinHere said:

A typical set up would be a turntable, an Amplifier, and a set of Speakers.  That's usually it.  Of cos, depending on your Budget, you will get a range of quality or not-so-quality products.  It also depends on if you're looking to make a substantial investment  or would you prefer something simpler and more affordable ...  something for you to think about also??

I have a Sonos era 100. 

Thinking of hooking it up to that, to save cost.

On 3/16/2024 at 5:02 AM, mike_amk said:

Hi Daniu,

As you mentioned your keenness to dabble,  I thought perhaps to keep the setup simple, and go for a basic turntable and listen through headphones. 

Once you know the what you enjoy better, then get the right system within your budget,  perhaps start with an integrated amp that would allow you to add a power amp later on when you upgrade to better speakers.

I'm guessing you stream music as well, so the integrated amp needs to have streaming and a decent on board DAC, or else you're going to need an additional DAC for all your digital devices... 

You could get a good deal on a pre-owned turntable on carousell. 

Cheers,  🥂 Mike 

Bro, may I know wat would be the difference between integrated amp and separate 1?

7 hours ago, steppenwolf said:

Guess I'm late to the party and @SurpriseMEinHere & @mike_amk have given you an ideal how to go about too.

I chanced upon this current promo on FB and thought you might want to go check it out and grab a good bargain perhaps?  Promotion is from From 14th - 20th March @ HEAR RECORDS (#01-18 Burlington Square), and they operate daily 11am-730pm & Sundays 12-6pm.

Tks for the heads-up bro.

On 3/18/2024 at 5:09 PM, daniu said:

Bro, as I'm really noob in this, have no idea Wats the ball park figure I should aim for... 

I have a Sonos era 100. 

Bro, may I know wat would be the difference between integrated amp and separate 1?

If I were you, I would save my $$$ for a while longer to get a good quality Turntable (TT) first of all.  The Amp and better speakers can wait a while longer....

Per @mike_amk, you should explore those TTs that has got digital functions.

A good quality TT will be longer lasting, play vinyls better, as well as not damage your LPs.

I hope that helps. G'luck.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/18/2024 at 5:09 PM, daniu said:

I have a Sonos era 100. 

Chanced upon this and thought it might be helpful to you too...

14 hours ago, mike_amk said:

I vidited a used Record shop at midview city, and I bought a double LP of Ella and Louis-Together.

Can't wait to listen to it.

That's QQ Music!  I've bought a couple of vinyl records and CDs there too.  Very limited operating hours, for those who are keen to visit, do call before popping over (9100 6571).

• Thursday 5:00 PM - 9:00 PM
  • Friday : 5:00 PM - 9:00 PM
  • Saturday 1:00 PM - 7:00 PM
  • Sunday : 1:00 PM - 7:00 PM

Edited by steppenwolf

On 4/2/2024 at 5:28 PM, steppenwolf said:

That's QQ Music!  I've bought a couple of vinyl records and CDs there too.  Very limited operating hours, for those who are keen to visit, do call before popping over (9100 6571).

• Thursday 5:00 PM - 9:00 PM
  • Friday : 5:00 PM - 9:00 PM
  • Saturday 1:00 PM - 7:00 PM
  • Sunday : 1:00 PM - 7:00 PM

Yes that's the name... lol... qq!

I was trying recall . 😊 

I'll probably go there another time and rummage through their vast collection. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/18/2024 at 1:24 PM, steppenwolf said:

It's happening this Saturday at last, what are your must-have(s) this RSD?

Staying away from RSD and Vinyl sales for now lol