Male HQ

Foodies (Cafe Hunters)

Any foodies here want to share which cafe(s) in Singapore is worth visiting for? And what dishes do you recommend?

"Go out looking like you want to be seen - reliable, respectable; A man who can deliver, not one of the boys"

I'm a fan of Food for Thought, there's one outlet at Bras Basah.

other than their All Day Breakfast, their Chocolate Banana Walnut Pancakes are really to die for.

Recommend Hatch @ Holland Village too for their Poached Eggs with Smoked Salmon.

for more salivating dishes, you can try out this app called "Burpple".

one-stop info guide on good food in Singapore, coupled with pics locations and reviews

have fun café-hopping!

for more salivating dishes, you can try out this app called "Burpple".

one-stop info guide on good food in Singapore, coupled with pics locations and reviews

Thanks for the info, been using a similar app (UrbanSpoon) during my stay in Aussie and wondering if SG has one. Finally... 

Any particular things you look for in the cafe/bistro?

Anything awesome and delicious :P

PS: Thanks and keep the list going guys, would be great for my references :)

"Go out looking like you want to be seen - reliable, respectable; A man who can deliver, not one of the boys"

Hey Vanillamilkshakes,

I like exploring new cafes too, so here are the ones I've been to which are worth visiting:

Nearest MRT: Tanjong Pagar

1) The Plain (Craig Road) for its egg-related stuff and coffee 

2) Selfish Gene (as above) for its soups, banana cake and coffee

3) Group Therapy Coffee (Duxton Road) for its carrot cake, coffee and current promotion: lemon cello tart

4) Drury Lane (Tras Street) for its coffee, cupcakes and all-day breakfast

5) Department of Caffeine (Duxton Road) for its waffles and coffee

Nearest MRT: Outram Park

1) Stranger's Reunion (Kampong Bahru) for its waffles (be warned that it can get rather noisy due to the young crowd)

Nearest MRT: Bugis

1) CAD cafe (Haji Lane) for its coffee, Cajun Prawn sandwich (made from scratch) and home-made soups (be warned that it's a rather small place, like really small)

Nearest MRT: Kovan

1) Lola's Cafe (Simon Road) for its iced latte, Cajun Wings, Pork Goulash and tarts (be warned that it can get crowded even on a weeknight)

For some eye candy as you while away your time, try The Plain (cute staff) and CAD cafe (cute barista) respectively.

8 Days and Life section of The Straits Times are my usual source of info on new cafes. Hope this helps.  ^_^

I feel like sharing but worried you may add to the crowd! 

HAHA XD

j/k

There are so fricking many cafes nowadays and the really good ones tend to be really crowded, so good luck!

My personal favorites are:

a) Jimmy Monkey

b) Riders Cafe

c) Book Cafe

d) Fabulous Baker Boy

I also heard "My Awesome Cafe" has been rising with immense popularity in recent weeks. Hunky baristas and a few steps away from Cruise Club :x

You might wanna try give it a go!

Thanks JYAG-sim, I'll do further research on those cafes and put that on my list..

Aedirn sharing is caring la.. haha

Oh, I read some people complaining about the service in My Awesome Cafe on instagram. Is the food worth visiting tho? SPRMRKT is definitely on my list, just need to find someone to go with now. Hahaha

Hey Vanillamilkshakes,

I like exploring new cafes too, so here are the ones I've been to which are worth visiting:

Nearest MRT: Tanjong Pagar

1) The Plain (Craig Road) for its egg-related stuff and coffee 

2) Selfish Gene (as above) for its soups, banana cake and coffee

3) Group Therapy Coffee (Duxton Road) for its carrot cake, coffee and current promotion: lemon cello tart

4) Drury Lane (Tras Street) for its coffee, cupcakes and all-day breakfast

5) Department of Caffeine (Duxton Road) for its waffles and coffee

Nearest MRT: Outram Park

1) Stranger's Reunion (Kampong Bahru) for its waffles (be warned that it can get rather noisy due to the young crowd)

Nearest MRT: Bugis

1) CAD cafe (Haji Lane) for its coffee, Cajun Prawn sandwich (made from scratch) and home-made soups (be warned that it's a rather small place, like really small)

Nearest MRT: Kovan

1) Lola's Cafe (Simon Road) for its iced latte, Cajun Wings, Pork Goulash and tarts (be warned that it can get crowded even on a weeknight)

For some eye candy as you while away your time, try The Plain (cute staff) and CAD cafe (cute barista) respectively.

8 Days and Life section of The Straits Times are my usual source of info on new cafes. Hope this helps.  ^_^

Thanks for sharing, JYAG-sim! A couple of girlfriends and I started a spreadsheet compilation in our shared Google Drive on all the cafes we have visited and our own reviews; I can include your recommendations in them as well, if that's okay with you :)

Do pay I am... cafe at the mouth of Haji Lane, the food there is not bad (sorry my recollection is bad at the mo but will highlight them again when I remember). As long as you don't mind the long wait as it's pretty popular right now, moreso on the weekends.

Wasn't there a cafe thread already?

Anyway here are the list of cafes which I think are not worth visiting.

Stranger's Reunion - Over-rated food with over crowding

The Plain - Bad staff, bad prices

Chye Seng Huat - Bad food, bad prices, nice ambience

Department of Coffee - Jin Zua, good coffee though.

Jewel Coffee - Over priced over rated

Assembly Coffee - Pretentious atmosphere, regular brew, regular food

Penny University - I had bad service and bad food. Good coffee though

Coffee Daily - Had the worst Lasagne in my life, worst yet, I saw the people taking NTUC lasagna from the fridge

I think the following are worth visiting

One Man Coffee - Good food, good coffee a bit small though

Habitat Coffee - Nice good, a bit ex ( I think the boss is very handsome )

Necessary Provisions - I like the coffee, VERY GOOD CHOCOLATE DRINKS ***

Brawn and Brains - Nice coffee and atmosphere, very rustic and simple

Group Therapy - Good food

Wimbly Lu - Awesome chocolate food

Windowsil - Good concept, decent pies, freaking expensive

Bravery - I hate the staff, The Plain company hire staff with bad attitude, but I LOVE the waffles.

Simply Bread - Not really a cafe, nice bread shop

Cups and Canvas / Lowercase - Decent food, decent price

Rokebi - Decent Food Expensive though, nice concept

SPRMRKT - I believe you all said the good stuff already.

Artistry - I love this place, great atmosphere, good food, good art, nice cakes and drinks. A bit pricey though.

Just my personal opinion!

Edited by RealityCheck

I've just been to the Plain Cafe, food & beverages are not bad (need more variation of food menu tho), reminds me of the cafe in Melbourne. The staff also friendly lol.. 

Bravery and The Plain shuffle their staff. Because they are run by the same management. When I mean service, I meant attitude towards the customers. I didn't like how when I went to The Plain that they couldn't be bothered with a lot of things. That was what I experienced. When I went to Bravery, I couldn't understand why the girl could not phrase her sentences nicer. That's all. 

I went to Loysel's Toy, I enjoyed the atmosphere there. A far cry from CSHH. Had an ice tea which was ultimately the most refreshing thing I ever had in a long time.

Are you their staff or friends ?

Open your eye...or wide open...install a video cam to watch it.

Nope I'm an engineer and I have no friends in the F&B industry.

Having different experiences at same place is not uncommon in F&B establishment.

I find it uncalled for that the person who complained about bad service and bad attitude, is downright rude, condescending himself.

What did I do to deserve that statement above?

Edited by aedirn

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm, other than the sordid internet troll up above, anyone else has a cafe recommendation which is not overly crowded and with free wifi??

I read a couple of new ones have opened up in April on cafe hopping sg....

Usually go there to slowly sip & eat, and watch youtube/chatting on BW lol

Last week went to Brew Mansion along bukit timah, place was excellent to chill though food/drink was completely unspectacular.

nice list J! agree with almost everyting esp the bad ones

coffee daily -  pretentious owner with overpriced food/drinks and dubious quality

stranger's reunion - yawnzzzzz since it became popular

penny u - over-rated, over-crowded, just over.

CSH - can go at least once just so u can tell pple u've been, but otherwise not as a regular hood

add to the bad ones:

arbite - overpriced and boring food

40hands - expensive choc tarts and fakish kong bak paus

add to the worth visiting ones:

eat play love - can be very crowded during meal times but otherwise reasonable food and prices

lola's cafe - nice home-made brownies

Wasn't there a cafe thread already?

Anyway here are the list of cafes which I think are not worth visiting.

Stranger's Reunion - Over-rated food with over crowding

The Plain - Bad staff, bad prices

Chye Seng Huat - Bad food, bad prices, nice ambience

Department of Coffee - Jin Zua, good coffee though.

Jewel Coffee - Over priced over rated

Assembly Coffee - Pretentious atmosphere, regular brew, regular food

Penny University - I had bad service and bad food. Good coffee though

Coffee Daily - Had the worst Lasagne in my life, worst yet, I saw the people taking NTUC lasagna from the fridge

I think the following are worth visiting

One Man Coffee - Good food, good coffee a bit small though

Habitat Coffee - Nice good, a bit ex ( I think the boss is very handsome )

Necessary Provisions - I like the coffee, VERY GOOD CHOCOLATE DRINKS ***

Brawn and Brains - Nice coffee and atmosphere, very rustic and simple

Group Therapy - Good food

Wimbly Lu - Awesome chocolate food

Windowsil - Good concept, decent pies, freaking expensive

Bravery - I hate the staff, The Plain company hire staff with bad attitude, but I LOVE the waffles.

Simply Bread - Not really a cafe, nice bread shop

Cups and Canvas / Lowercase - Decent food, decent price

Rokebi - Decent Food Expensive though, nice concept

SPRMRKT - I believe you all said the good stuff already.

Artistry - I love this place, great atmosphere, good food, good art, nice cakes and drinks. A bit pricey though.

Just my personal opinion!

Edited by puppyfart

I beg to differ though, I find that Eat Play Love does not have good coffee. the food however, is relatively affordable and decent.

Arbite i had a good meal but their drinks are questionable.

Lola's Cafe has a decent menu and actually good food, but it's over crowded and rather pricey.

I have some changes to my list...

Rokebi no longer have decent food. It's about their menu change. They used to have a really good selection of pastas... but....

For those who love the 40hands tau sar pau, I have found a cheaper alternative therefore I never ever patronising it ever again.

One to add on to the to go list is 

The Flock Cafe. Pretty decently priced, nice cake selection (I don't trust their chocolate cake though). Not a lot of places that serve carrot cake separate their icing, I think this was an incredible move by The Flock.

Edited by RealityCheck

Common Man has great coffee and I like their yoghurt. Comes in this HUGE bowl with fruits and stuff. A little pricey but the staff are really friendly.

Stranger's Reunion is great too (their menu is one of my favourites) but the service there is kinda bad - the staff are pretty cold.

I didn't find the food at Stranger's Reunion really bad, but not fantastic either. Mostly go there for coffee but since it became popular the crowd makes waiting too long. Now I walk over to The Provision Shop (I work at SGH) nearby for their YUMY rueben sandiwch at lunchtime once in awhile. Pasta is also made fresh which is nice there but not really my thing.

• 1 month later...

Besides Wild Honey (which I think quite overrated), which other place serves good brunch? I've been to one hear Haji Lane but I forgot its name. Any other particular serving good coffee also?

I think Stateland is not that bad, it's at Bali Lane...

CAD looks good but I never been inside before.

My cousin told me to stay clear from Elffin and Elffin.

I enjoyed Selfish Gene- like the ambiance and I notice the prices have come down quite a bit recently. The all day breakfast used to be 18.80 but is now around 15. Really like the scrambled eggs as well as the sweet cherry tomatoes which accompany the eggs.

94 Drury Lane has decent cakes and coffee- aiming to try their salted caramel tart and peanut butter pie next time :-)

Nice baked eggs as well but the drawback is the aircon- which has been the subject of some negative feedback. Tends to be very warm esp at lunchtime so the management needs to look at that aspect.

Haven't been to the Plain since 2012 but I had decent service and F & B then.

Also, New Harbour Cafe (opposite Blue Ginger in Tanjong Pagar Rd) which is more of a pub serving large set lunches - try the roast leg of lamb (Mon), roast pork (Fri) and for for a hearty fix of deep fried meat, the Hainanese Pork Chop on Thu. ;)

Wheeler's Yard - Quite  a cool concept but not cheap.

Butter Studio - Open until 12 midnight on the weekends. Dun like the cupcakes (maybe i am not a cup cake person). Prefer their cholocate tarts.

Windowsill Pies - Interesting pies sold here but didn't leave a big impression on me. Pricey. Noisy...

L'etoile Cafe- Quiet cafe..friend loved the coffee there...

Edited by ezzeq

Besides Wild Honey (which I think quite overrated), which other place serves good brunch? I've been to one hear Haji Lane but I forgot its name. Any other particular serving good coffee also?

Like what RealityCheck mentioned, CAD cafe is a nice place to hang out, though I've to warn you about the very small indoor seating area. The coffee is great, esp when it's brewed by a very cute barista. I absolutely love the Cajun Prawn sandwich. Very shiok! 

• 4 weeks later...

Really? There's so much hype about this place bringing life to Dakota.

My friend told me stay clear from Tian Kee! Expensive and not very delicious.

Same here. My friend stays near there and said the same: pricey. You are paying for the nostalgia 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.