Male HQ

Can Ac100V Device Be Used On Singapore 240V? Thanks For Answering.

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

Hi there, i'm not science type, need your advise because i dun understand the complicated explanation on internet.

i'm thinking to buy Japan AC100V electronic device, can it be used in Singapore which is 240V? Will the device spoil? What can we do if need to use a lower voltage device on higher voltage supply? Hope my question make sense to you.

Thank you for your kind answers.

from my experience , when you plug a 100/120V rated electrical device into a 240 V power outlet in Singapore it will cause electrical overload and burn the insides and may 90% spoil the electrical device, 90% is because it depends on how long u plug that thing in into the 240 v power outlet when in Singapore, if u plug in briefly and unplug quickly when you see smoke and smell plastic , sometimes it will still survive , if you plug it in and go and make a coffee in the kitchen and then take along hot shower bath, dry your hair and then come back to check on your electrical device , it may have melted in the insides already and the R.I.P to the Japan bought device.

What you wanna do isspend about $90-$130 to buy a voltage step down device from Best Denki or other Japanese related electrical shop .

it looks like these.

http://www.amazon.com/Bright-VC200W-Voltage-Transformer-converter/dp/B000MW83OG

after pluggin in to this voltage step down transformer your japan bought device can safely be used .

Guest Just helping

definately your device will be spoiled. cos it is rated only 110V where our supply is 230V

You need to buy a step down transformer. hook up the transformer to our power supply where it will then step down to 110V ..

Connect your device from the output of the transfromer.

You can get the step down transformer from the Sim Lim Towers (nt Sim Lim Sq). you need to specify to them that you need a transformer that uses 110V.

It should cost u around $100+

Cheers.

Guest Guest

If it is via USB, then you don't need to worry.

Thanks but why would USB make a difference? Does USB filter out the extra voltage?

Guest Guest

I am intrigued as to what this thing is, that can be charged both via mains and via USB.  Most items that can are charged via mains cant be charged via USB as the charge is not strong enough. Mobile phones being an obvious exception, of course. But yes, 110V appliances will definitely burn out when connected up to a 240V supply. Even with transformers, it sometimes does not work e.g. clock radios which rely on specific frequencies to keep proper time.

• 4 weeks later...
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.