Male HQ

Botak Jones!

This is one of the best non-restaurant locations to have a really good meal.

Definitely a must for those who like fries, hotdogs, and giant hamburgers.

they got great cajun chicken breasts too... which i find absolutely fantastic and tender for a chicken breast to be so well done...

you have to be early to get served fast tho... once you hit peak periods, from 6.30 pm to 9.00 pm waiting time can be up to 90 minutes.

They take last orders at around 9.30 pm so it's strictly dining... but man... the servings are American sized, and the quality is really very very good.

I only have this beef about local Stinkapoleans who go there, order sinkapolean style and leave half the dish uneaten becos they ordered too much... most dishes, in American style will feed 2 small eaters, or 2 normal meal eaters...

for us in the US eating capacity, it's totally satisfying of course...

they even have malt vinegar as a condiment for your fries... those in the know... that is the proper way to eat fries man..... ketchup is a compromise! so dun sua when you go there ask what is the vinegar for... heh heh heh...

those who meet regularly for meals can go there for a try... it's worth it to see your face when you are served your HOT DOG in such a HUGE portion of condiments... mind you the hotdog is not those small things either.... totally satisfying...

there is a branch in Ang Mo Kio and another one in Clementi. I think a new branch has opened somewhere else but i'm lousy at addresses... I only know how to go there... :D

the original one is in Tuas near the Reservist Camp but that one is Lunch and early evening... closes at 7pm due to the place being deserted by then. yet to try there becos it shud be the most power one - lots of angmo eat there... definitely for those who want to see burly angmo stuffing themselves ... feast for the eyes, and stomach... and maybe later feast elsewhere if you are into that category of preference...

anyone want to help out the addresses? hahaha I will look up the street directory later to update if no one does it.

Baloo

Damn now everyone here will also join the queue for great Botak burgers. Be prepared to queue.. its quite worth it.

Hours and location for Botak Jones Tuas

2 Pioneer Sector 2, Sungei Kadut Eating House

at the junction of Pioneer Sector 2 and Pioneer Sector 1

Phone / Fax: 689-89-225

Monday - Friday 10:00 am til 7:00 pm

Saturday 10:00 am til 5:00 pm

Sunday closed

Hours and location for Botak Jones Ang Mo Kio

Yue Hua Food Place

Block 608 Ang Mo Kio Ave. 5

Phone / Fax: 6755-1-225

Tuesday - Sunday 11:30 noon til 10:00 pm

Monday closed

Hours and location for Botak Jones Clementi

Block 325 Clementi Ave 5 (Kopitiam) #01- 129 Singapore 120325

Phone / Fax: 677-41-225

Tuesday - Sunday 11:30 noon til 10:00 pm

Monday closed

Hours and location for Botak Jones TOA PAYOH

970A TOA PAYOH NORTH

Phone / Fax: 6258-6-225

Monday - Saturday 11:00 noon til 10:00 pm

Brewski Jones 11:00 til 12:00 midnight

Sunday and public holidays closed

Hours and location for DEPOT ROAD

Blk 118 Depot Lane,#01-02 Stall 10,Singapore 109754

Phone / Fax: 6272-3-225

Tuesday - Sunday 11:00 am til 10:00 pm

Monday closed

Mmm... The one in Clementi has the best chicken breasts so far... The cajun chicken breast is so juicy... Was expected it to be dry...

But the spicy cheesy fries is a disappointment... the cheese did not stay in the molten state and it hardened after some time... Which made the fries hard... And coupled with the fact that each meal comes with its own huge serving of fries... Me and friend had a hard time finishing the fries...

Almost the whole plate thrown away... What a waste... :P

Otherwise an excellent place for good fast food. :)

haha fast???

slow food more likely haha..

but good American sized 'western food' no arguements from me.

all cheese will harden when cooled... so the trick is to eat it while hot... heh heh.. and yes, not advisable to order side dishes unless you are familiar with the size of the servings...

normally we ask waiter to time the dishes to come one after another... rather than all at once, where possible of course. but usually just the one dish is way enough on most nites...

The Clementi one can get quite bad because its so close to the MRT and not as ulu as the other locations. Its also very popular with the NUS boys and the servicemen from the nearby police station. Some of my friends waited an hour for their food!!!

I always suggest going with friends. Order, go Clementi MRT cruise cruise, then come back to your botak burger for immediate protein replenishment.

Guest Monkie
But the spicy cheesy fries is a disappointment... the cheese did not stay in the molten state and it hardened after some time... Which made the fries hard... And coupled with the fact that each meal comes with its own huge serving of fries... Me and friend had a hard time finishing the fries...

Almost the whole plate thrown away... What a waste... :P

I agreed with Botak about the fries. They were hard and not nice! And the portions were too big. The fries were not even nice when fresh and hot!

Look around before you order....you will see many people leave behind at last half a portion of their fries behind! And it is not cos the portion are too big, but they are simply not nice!

As for the botak burger, dun order it. The meat is really awfully. Dun know grind from which part of the cow. It is smelly and not evenly ground!

After the visit some months back, i dun think i will go back and try the fries and burger again!

Look around before you order....you will see many people leave behind at last half a portion of their fries behind! And it is not cos the portion are too big, but they are simply not nice!

As for the botak burger, dun order it. The meat is really awfully. Dun know grind from which part of the cow. It is smelly and not evenly ground!

After the visit some months back, i dun think i will go back and try the fries and burger again!

PEOPLE leave their food unfinished becos they can't finish it... i finished all my fries and stuff...

you need to add the malt vinegar to the fries la...

and no i dun like cheese on fries... so plain fries with vinegar and ketchup... most definitely nice...

burgers... meat uneven is BEST burger la...

hamburger is junk food... you eating meat from the cow that is not identifiable as sirlorn, rump, fillet, etc... so you are eating ground meat from parts of the cow such as penis, balls, ears, lips, nipples, etc that is classified as meat. not the internals, that is for another type of meat patte/sausage.

as to it being 'smelly' ... hmmm... most people who are not used to eating gu bak may be finding the smell a bit 'offensive'... but to me... I have yet to come across it smelling bad... if bad it may mean you got a piece of rotten meat leow... which i will ask the joint to replace or refund. so far none leh...

Fast food joints like Mac/BK the beef patte dun smell so strong becos it's frozen till no more smell leow... freshly chopped meat burgers so thick and juicy shud have the beef smell...

anyway, it's your opinion - thanks for sharing. it serves as a warning to those who dunno how to eat American style food, especially burgers. Helps to keep the crowd away hopefully...

Do go try out the other big American burger joint 'Carl's Jr' and see if you smell something not rite with their triple pattie burger :)

Cheers

This I agree with Baloo. Real fresh beef do smell abit on the raw side. What you have been eating from other outlets may have the beef process or frozen beef which the blood water has already melted togather with the ice built up when the thingyee defrosted.

Have you ever try Chinese Gu Bak Kway Teow? From those stall in food court? And did you try the Pho Hoa from Vietnamese Restaurant, you will find the difference of process beef (using spiece or whatever? ) and real fresh beef.

It's just me.... Asura... don't fear, but be very afraid....

I went to the amk one. Was told waiting time 1 hr! Ended up going somewhere else for dinner. Remember the coffee shop was like dead quiet before botak jones take over. Now it is "people mountain people sea" every day.

But looks like from all your comments the food over-rated leh. BTW, their menu is good for some light hearted reading, especially their un-squarish fish burgher! :D

But looks like from all your comments the food over-rated leh.

Disagree with this statement.

I did not rate it as top-of-the-line must eat before you die kind of a place ...

I did comment about the size of the servings - which no one opposed... although some interpret it as 'not nice' and therefore left a whole lot on plate...

There was also a lot of misguided views on the food served especially with the burgers being 'unevenly chopped' and 'smells bad' when it's probably "you don't know what a real hamburger is supposed to look and smell like"...

and malt vinegar to go with fries... something many locals do not know about vs MacDonald fries (granted, Mac Fries are very good tasting compared to all the other fast food places) -- Botak Jones is NOT a fast food joint...

you got to go try the fries at Coachman Inn, or Brewerkz, etc. to benchmark the Botak Jones fries... the fries are really not bad.... :) not great, but not bad... I always enjoyed them and clean out my plate whenever I eat at Botak Jones...

• 2 weeks later...

I have my first meal at Botak Jones along depot road some weeks ago. I too agree with the portion being humongous. Not for the lighter eaters. The food, like Baloo said, isn't top notched, but it definitely gives the Western Food hawkers a run for their money. Then again, their competitors never charge this amount. My I-think-it's-20-plus-dollars steak was almost perfectly done. lightly browned, unmarinated (which is VERY rare amongst their hawker centres' competitors), juices sealed meat was divine. I think I had my meat over mustard. There are lots of bottles of assorted sauces, diners are spoilt for choice. The staffs are reasonably polite too.

Despite the good review, I seldom feel THAT hungry.

google areanpull

had been to their Clementi and Depot branches.

AMK one i was told to wait for 1 half hour and i gave up.

As Depot is the newest and rather far out (near CMPB) so the queue was more manageable.

Personally the food wasnt bad for the price, at around $6 per botak burger, the taste was on par with quite a number of higher class (read: expensive) restaurants.

i like the service given and the various condiments provided as well.

Portion was rather huge so sharing might be a good idea.

I do felt that Clementi's taste is better than Depot one.

p/s speaking of burger, the best i had was a California joint called "In 'n' Out" only sell 4 types of burger (Single, Single w/cheese, double, double w/ cheese) no fish, no chicken etc. But the beef was absolute delicious! (cheap also, rem cost only US1.90 for single)

there had been saying of opening one here but never materialized

here's the link

http://www.in-n-out.com/

:thumb: When I Think It, I Do It, I Win It! :thumb:

Just came back fr visiting United States (June and July).

Honestly Botak Jones isn't good..

The size is small for americans except the triple deck burgers. The normal size fr Botak Jones is like american kids size.. Certainly not adult.

But for asians.. It's a satisfying portion ;)

Next for food quality.. Just normal hawker food.. I left half of my plate. Maybe it's psychological.. I was looking forward to authentic american food, but was disappointed so didn't eat much. But.. If i would to went there thinking it's good hawker-style western food, most likely i'll eat more

In a nutshell, Botak Jones dun really match up on the quality and food portion of american food.

Prefers our Singaporean hawker food like wanton noodles.. Chicken rice.. Yummy! HAHA

What kind of a rubbish review is that? <_<<_<<_<

The question isn't "Does Botak Jones serve american food in America?". Most people want to know if "Botak Jones serves delicious american style food at good prices".

Honestly I don't give a damn whether the Botak Burger is authentic. It just tastes good.

I don't expect expensive US corn-fed beef for a $6 burger. I certainly don't expect food this quality from your hairy tom dick western stall in food courts.

The portions are comparable to "authentic" american joints in Singapore eg Mortons, Dan Ryans, Lawry at a fraction of the price. I've stopped BJs because I'm watching my weight.

If you want to eat wanton, then go to that poor lady next to the BJ store in Clementi. She REALLY needs your business because no one else in the kopi tiam will order from her.

I think portion must be relative in order to match up for competition and cultural practise.

I agree that the food must be matching if you are talking about taste. But than again, some people may not like what the americans are having at all totally.

Having a localise version of the food is something which maybe more suitable in this sense. Aisan knowningly, do not eat that big portion. But of cause, there are some people who will like the same as what they see in US.

Business must substain themselves in order to survive. We may not need their survival plans, but than, if they are gone, would we even have a chance to try the "localise version"?

If they are going to use US corn beef, maybe you will not be willing to pay the price and more worries like would it be containing Mad Cow Diesease or etc...

Guest Guest

went to try Botak Jones after hearing so much about it, but was really disappointed. It was edible but nothing to rave about. Yes, it is a bit better than your average hawker stall but then it is more expensive too. So I would rather eat at those stalls if I'm on a budget or pay a bit more and have really good stuff in a restaurant.

the beef burger was nothing to shout about. the beef was rather dry and not of a very good grade, just slightly better than the fast food joints which are cheaper anyway.

just as an aside, unevenly chopped beef is actually not something bad in a burger. the best patties are hand-chopped and not blended. that gives it better texture and leaves the meat juicier. but the Botak Jones burgers are definitely not hand-chopped. only fine-dining restaurants here do that and charge you the earth for the labour. and they make sure they mention it in the menu.

similarly, Botak Jones' chicken wings were tasteless. and so were the fries. the only thing that tasted reasonably good was the hot dog, which means they have a good supplier for their sausages and not because they have a good recipe.

so there's really no reason to rave about their food.

you know where you can get good American-style food? Seah Street Deli at Raffles Hotel. It's not that much more expensive and you get air-conditioning and better ambience. And the fries are way much better. Plus you don't have to wait an hour.

hahah... love it or hate it everyone has their own opinions about food.

having been to USA and Auzzie and Japan and Taiwan and Thailand ... i can safely say that all food is localised for local consumption.

'authentic' is only nearly there... not really there.

example: I used to like tom yam soup in singapore... went to thailand and sampled their streetside tom yam... wow... that is the real tom yam kun... the local fare is SO bland... and got nice things like big prawns and all that... the local streetside stalls dun serve big prawns la... where the locals go and eat, only small shrimps hahaha...

and the taste and intensity of the soup is nothing like anything local... the subtle nuances of the food here and at the original is very different indeed.

usa - food portions... i lived there for years... botak jones is near la... for that price. but of course, the meats are local meaning it's not the same...

have you tried local (malaysian) pork vs Auzzie pork? or chicken? taste and smell different right? got BO rite? hahaha...

if you wanna talk steaks, wa lao... try the Auzzie BBQ T bone... now that's a good sized steak kekeke... local one like starving cow like that... and anyone tried real kobe beef in japan? you'd prolly 'die'...

and new york steaks... wa say... my favourite kind after the great T-Bone...

and the sausages for the Auzzie BBQ... only in the land down under will you savour such great tasting sausages... ok US oso got but still ... you know what i mean.

so it's really unfair to compare to the original makers of the food locally. for us style food, BJ is prolly a benchmark from which you can judge other us style food here. for that price, there is not many that are better ...

that's my point. just food for thought...

Guest Guest

i like botak jones. the food's rather good at their prices. i really don't care much for authenticity, as long as the food is good.

been to the original amk oulet a year ago and recently, the depot road stall, and have tried the beef burger, lamp chops, beef steak, stuffed jalapenos, chili and fries. food's good and the service's friendly. my fave is the beef burger without cheese which is real value for money for its taste and price.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

usually goes to the one in AMK.. the quality of the food rather inconsistant... sometimes good, sometimes... er.... :P the last time i was there. ordered a 300g steak.... end up.. there are sooo much herbs on the steak, that i simple hate the taste.... ordered it medium done. end up came..... too cooked..

but somtimes the quality is so good that order a 400g steak and still not enough. haha

but overall..... cheese or no cheese..... i hate the fries.....

Would It Shatter Your Illusion If This Angel Had Been Cursed?

http://shitou79.blogspot.com

if the steak is not done to your order - i.e. you order medium and it came up well done, you can reject it la... i have, and they change it no questions asked.

plus - if too much herbs... you can also reject becos you are a regular customer.

inconsistent - prolly becos they training a new cook? haha... give some leeway, but dun let go if you order medium it cameup well done.

else how the peeps there learn... you will see if their friendly outlook will change under this kind of situation - it's the acid test of their genuine want to serve, and prove that their menu is not 'just for fun'.

Usually I'd order my steaks wif minimal sauce on it. most only herb butter.

again - it's a test of their food.... plain steaks are just damn hard to bluff... no sauce to hide under... and i rather enjoy a real good plain steak. and herb butter/mustard & HP sauce to dip if i wanted more taste.

hee... fries... it's a like it or hate it case... i love it... but got to refrain from taking too much starch!!

:whistle:

been to the original amk oulet a year ago and recently, the depot road stall, and have tried the beef burger, lamB chops, beef steak, stuffed jalapenos, chili and fries. food's good and the service's friendly. my fave is the beef burger without cheese which is real value for money for its taste and price.

erm... the original Botak Jones is the outlet in TUAS.

not amk. to there at lunch time , and you will see throngs of ANGMO people there ordering Botak Jones and a Beer or two... it's so popular it spawned the rest...

the original is at Tuas.

btw, the Tuas branch closes at 7 pm. does only lunch time and tea time crowds... or early dinner i.e. 5 pm crowd... after that as the industrial area closes down for the nite, the canteen from which it operates also closes...

just for your info...

btw, Botak Jones burgers best washed down with a ice-cold beer... you have to try it if you do drink beer.. it really brings out the taste...

Baloo

i tried the ribeye at amk branch.. i'm disappointed..

kal,

Maybe you can tell us why are you disappointed instead of a one liner, else we cannot objectively point out is that a common error or basically subjective cause you have a different way you like your steak to be done. No one is right or worng on food, basically, its all about personal preference.

Now at BJ Dover Rd Branch. Just finished my fish n chips ... Very good. The portion damn hugh. Hav to share with another person. The ribeyed steak was gd too according a famiky member who ate it. Cos of BJ now the kopi stall also serve wine.... Talking abt One-Up Hawker Ctr...

Live A Life, Live it Well. Be Forgiving, All will be Well.

• 1 month later...

I stayed in Clementi and been to the Botak Jones outlet twice. Was turned off by the long queue and long wait.

I would go to Buckaroo (near Sembawang Park and I often have to go to Sembawang for work, you see) for my "American" food fix. They have wide selection of food (incl seafood), beer and cocktails. Their lamblets were excellent.

Highly recommended and a good place to drop for a cold beer after a jog (or a hot session <_< ) in the park.

I would go to Buckaroo (near Sembawang Park and I often have to go to Sembawang for work, you see) for my "American" food fix. They have wide selection of food (incl seafood), beer and cocktails. Their lamblets were excellent.

Oh YAH! How can I forget that place???

Been there a long long long time ago with a very close friend, and yes the food is good...love the steak there.

makes me wanna go there and eat again!

:thumb:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

yeah i like botak jones too... i work in tuas so will order take away.. they do delivery for free too. once i has lunch at the tuas branch. waiting time was freaking long. end up swallowing the fish and chips wihtin 10 min and rush back to work. me and my colleagues was like keep rushing them cos we were gonna be late but the guy was very accommodating and din get angry even though he was very busy. and he's quite cute too haha...

they recommend to call to order for lunch the day before. but usualy i call about 9am.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.