Male HQ

Perfume / Cologne / EDT Discussion (Compiled)

Guest Driclor
Can anyone tell me is it true that different body react differently to the same edt? I just bought a edt recommended highly by the salesgirl at TAB in Centuary Square. However it lasted not more than 4 hours! She even said some women perfume last not more than an hour to some ppl. Is this true or she's trying to promote an inferior quality with a higher profit margin? I went to her another day and saw that she was trying to 'sell' the same edt to another guy. Is is safer to buy from departmental stores though more expensive? This is my first time buying from outside shop. Pls share your thoughts here. Thanks.

EDT is of lower concentration of perfume oil therefore depend on the base note, normally EDT dont last...the most around a few hrs like 2-4hrs but not more than 8 for sure.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perfume

I don't think you are right! Normal standard EDT last for 8hrs.

Deodorant - 2hrs onwards

Cologne - 4hrs onwards

EDT - 8hrs onwards

EDP - 12hrs onwards

Parfum - 16hrs onwards

If used together with the same scent bathline, it will even last slightly longer.

This is the standard but of course depends on individual too!

Unless you sweat alot or buy get the 'imitation' version then it last what you mentioned!

sld i get polo black or aqua di gio??

i have never smell aqua before. is it something in the league of CK1, issey miyaki and XXX?

I'll vote for you to get 'Polo Black'. To me, it is a scent with more dimension compared to Acqua Di Gio. It's also less lasting but is something I will happily wear to work.

2 The latter is woodier, fresher and probably more suited if you tend to perspire more. But it's not something I'll wear to work.

3 Happy shopping. :)

in my closet are:

1) CK Crave

2) Polo Black

3) Hugo XY

4) Burberry for Men

5) L'Occitanne (Green Tea)

6) Zirh (the solo EDT in that brand)

7) Clinique Happy for Men

No 5 is very fresh, and keeps u awake during the day when ur feeling dreary...

No 4 is dark and masculine, a x'mas present from a cousin. perfect for feeling sexyi guess>??? lol

just realised that other than 4 & 5, the others smell rather similar...read somewhere its perhaps due to personality that we've chosen the scents we like...

"To dream in the City of Sorrows, is to dream of a better Future..." - Babylon 5

"Give them nothing! But take from them EVERYTHING!" - King Leonidas of Sparta on the eve of battle with his three hundred.

• 4 months later...

Did anyone mention Narcisco Rodriguez? I think it is a new brand in Sg. I got a sample from a friend who bought a big bottle from the counter at Robinsons in Raffles City. It is a strong tangy scent, very pungent at the first spray but it smells very nice over time and last quite long throughout the day.

one guy.one lifetime

Baloo.... i actually used a perfume called Sprm before wan hor..... its not available in singapore.. many many years back, when i was crazy about perfume... my ex came across this perfume in a website... and placed an order for me. thought it smell quite nice though.... so ya.... i wear sperm as perfume before... hahaha

http://fragrance.s-perfume.com/jetscent105.html

i think at different stage in life, you will like different scent.... when i was younger, i get very turn on by Issy Miyaki , Davidoff ECHO, Polo Sport, Clinique Happy for men...

nowadays i like wearing Armani Mania, Bvlgari AQVA, Dior Higher, Hugo Boss, Chanel Allure sport.

recently caught the scent of Polo Black... tot it smells very sophisicated.. quite turn on also..... very tempted to get that.....

Edited by Stoner79

Would It Shatter Your Illusion If This Angel Had Been Cursed?

http://shitou79.blogspot.com

bergamot, I love no.1 and 4 too. I like fragrances with 'strong' personalities. But I was shocked when I read one particularly bad review for Amen. So I guess one man's meat is another man's poison eh. I quote here-

' I thought I should try A*Men first. I shunned A*Men for a decade because its ingredients sounded awful; boy, were my instincts correct. A*Men starts harshly with a jumble of sour herbal notes sprinkled with a chemical-smelling “chocolate powder”; ten minutes after the initial assault on my nasal passages, comes a strident, metallic vanilla note that is coupled with rancid cocoa. At this point I stopped bracing myself since, surely, the base notes of A*Men would mellow? No! The final stage of A*Men is perhaps the worst: a seepage of burnt coffee, scorched (and stale) coffee grounds, and sickening tar. The final gasp of A*Men smells of coffee-induced halitosis; there is also the scent of the dregs of a cup of day-old coffee-cocoa (with a twist of moldy patchouli). After scouring my brain (and skin) I thought: “This might be the ugliest-smelling scent I’ve ever worn.”

http://nowsmellthis.blogharbor.com/blog/_a.../3/3616763.html

On the other hand, recently I thought I landed a great buy at Robinson Expo sale for a bottle of Paul Smith's London edl. Goodness, this has to be the smelliest, foul air that I have the displeasure of bringing to my nose. This perfume is already discountined and I know why!!! :D Yet this same reviewer gave it a thumbs-up. Huh?

'London stays in keeping with a theme popular among new fragrances recently — a velvety gourmand note in the base. My opinion: this is perhaps the best of the bunch.'

http://nowsmellthis.blogharbor.com/blog/_a...10/1754056.html

So many nice perfume you guys have...

I do not have the habit of using perfume....

Think some perfumes are nice when use correctly....:P

I prefer light perfumes smell, not too strong... it good when hugging/sitting close to him :)

Edited by k13v

Thanks...

167 69 chn 51

LINE: songatsg0

Telegram: songatsg

' I thought I should try A*Men first. I shunned A*Men for a decade because its ingredients sounded awful; boy, were my instincts correct. A*Men starts harshly with a jumble of sour herbal notes sprinkled with a chemical-smelling “chocolate powder”; ten minutes after the initial assault on my nasal passages, comes a strident, metallic vanilla note that is coupled with rancid cocoa. At this point I stopped bracing myself since, surely, the base notes of A*Men would mellow? No! The final stage of A*Men is perhaps the worst: a seepage of burnt coffee, scorched (and stale) coffee grounds, and sickening tar. The final gasp of A*Men smells of coffee-induced halitosis; there is also the scent of the dregs of a cup of day-old coffee-cocoa (with a twist of moldy patchouli). After scouring my brain (and skin) I thought: “This might be the ugliest-smelling scent I’ve ever worn.”

http://nowsmellthis.blogharbor.com/blog/_a...10/1754056.html

Lol ED, one man's meat is INDEED another man's poison... glad we share the same scent. =)

I'm gonna try this other scent once my current stock runs low... have u sniffed Lacoste before? The lime green one.

Edited by bergamot

Hi guys!~

I am new to the forum.

Was lucky enough to come across this topic as I was wondering which perfume to get.

Great selection and reviews by the forumers.

I am currently using CK Eternity summer edition, D&G, and Z Zegna. My bottle of Acqua Di Gio finished and I still can't find a fragrance I like. It was very lasting as I sweat alot. Any suggestions?

You've asked a difficult and very personal question- which fragrance to recommend? :D What smells like roses to me might smell like a dead rat to you. If you've read the above review on Paul Smith's London, you'd know why. I absolutely loathed it though it got a rave review from a perfume expert and was the Best Men Scent of 2005 Fifi Award (the Oscar of Perfumes) no less! Looking at the list of your past fragrances I must say I am not especially fond of any one of them except for Armani's Gio. To me, CK's Eternity classic (at one time, almost every man on the street is wearing this!) is surely better than the Summer edition and I have tried the tester of Z Zegna and dont like it one bit. For DG I just bought a bottle of Light Blue (after reading mostly positive reviews) and must say with a bit of regret that it is an average scent. So you see, you have to go out and try it before buying (I bought LB without even trying). It's not often you'd come across a scent where on first sniff you know instantly that is the one for you. That has only happened to me a few times with Dior's Homme, Armani Classic, Dior's Eau Sauvage, Geoffrey Beene's Grey Flannel (the classic grey edition not the light blue edt), Hermes's Eau d'Orange Verte and Marc Jacobs for Men. You are right in one thing, you should ideally look for scent that has long lingering power.

For a list of past Perfume winners (and perhaps inspriation?)- http://nowsmellthis.blogharbor.com/blog/_W...anceAwards.html

For those serious perfume collector, do read these wonderfully written reviews.

http://www.chandlerburr.com/newsite/conten...ent/perfume.php

Edited by erection day

Wow!

Thanks for the replies. I am intrigue by YSL Jazz. Heard tons of raving reviews for it. Will give it a try.

Oh ya, I found a great place at People's Park Complex where they sell perfumes at a reasonable price. And the salesperson are extremely knowledgeable and friendly. It is located at the 2nd level. Will check out the exact unit number.

Thanks again for all the advice!

Guest OLDSPICE

Old Spice is very nice.

I also notice that some of those no-name perfume sold at Mustapha are reacting with my armpit sweat and producing a sweat smell. I quite like the smell as it is sexy.

Where can I buy Drakkar Noir and Old Spice? I just love these traditional scent.

Currently, I am wearing all different kind of branded scents that was given to me by someone who get them free. I have Bvlgari, Polo, Issey Miyaki, JPG, Kenzo, Dunhill, Mont Blanc (yes I was surprised they made perfume too), Calvein etc.

Sometime I get naughty and mix the perfume up. Ended up smelling like an old prostitute who just had body contact with a stud. :D

Please play safely! Use a condom if you are having anal sex.

Where can I buy Drakkar Noir and Old Spice? I just love these traditional scent.

Old Spice I am using currently... heh... ok ... just the aftershave... but i agree, this is a very very nice aftershave to use

you can find this at Mustafa at Upper Serangoon Road... I was surprised to find a whole shelve of it there.

As to Drakar Noir, you can still find it at most perfume/fragrance shops...

Thanks BL. Will head down to Mustafa late tonight. Can find easy parking mah.

Hmmm...wondering if those $50 men are still there. :lol: Some Nepali men are quite cute. Short and chunky.

Please play safely! Use a condom if you are having anal sex.

• 4 weeks later...
Bvlgari "Aqva"

Very observant !

yes, if I were to make a selection, Bvlgari Aqua will definiely be reserved a place in my Top 5.

1) cK One

2) Bvlgari Aqua

3) Terre D Hermes

4) Bvlgari BLV

5) Clinique Happy for MEN

I splased them on me during the different occasions.

By the way, can anyone share if there is anywhere I can go to get thsoe small bottles that I can transfer my EDT into ?

You know ? Whne you go clubbing or restaurant, just have to go to the toilet to wear (or, re-wear) them .

OMG ! You'll be stunning !

Pls share when can I get a reliable glass bottle . (in a way it shouldnt interfere with the chemical composition of the EDT to make it less potent)

Guest smell

I really dont think you can just 'transferred' an EDT from one bottle to another bottle without losing much of its efficacy and potency. The other way is to buy a travel metal flash (I think Issey Miyake do sell for their line of fragrance) which comes in handy size and you can easily and proudly carry around. And if you can easily get a refill vial from Miyake counter should you run out of the EDT. Very convenient. If not, just buy a mini vial from some shops.

I really dont think you can just 'transferred' an EDT from one bottle to another bottle without losing much of its efficacy and potency. The other way is to buy a travel metal flash (I think Issey Miyake do sell for their line of fragrance) which comes in handy size and you can easily and proudly carry around. And if you can easily get a refill vial from Miyake counter should you run out of the EDT. Very convenient. If not, just buy a mini vial from some shops.

Thanks for sharing with me.

Finally got my glass viaal from Paragon Muji.

I even bought one glass bottle with spray , for SKII Facial Treatment Essence. It beats tapping onto your palm and losing some of the water between our fingers.

• 1 month later...
Guest whiff

I have always been attracted to this classic perfume- Grey Flannel by Geoffrey Beene (the classic grey bottle, not the blue flanker version). And I tell you, this juice is so hard to find in Spore. Finally managed to spot it at a basement perfume shop at lucky plaza (the one nearest to the underpass coming up from Ngee Ann City). It costs about $48 for a coffret set- edt plus after shave. And it smells just wonderful. My ex used to wear it. :lol:

I pickep up a fake Davidoff Cool water at an international airport duty free shop - can't believe it after reading a magazine how to spot the difference.

So beware to the untrained eye, a sophisticated fake perfume can easily pass for the real thing.

Which Davidoff Cool Water is the real thing from the picture below? Answer will be given later.

My goodness- intl duty free shop also got fake perfume!!! Faint. One thumb of the rule is to always get the latest fragrances- that way you can be sure of genuince stuff. The pirates cant be fast enough to come up with the latest fake I can assure you. Those 'classic' fragrances can be suspect if not bought from authorised distributors.
TC,

It was bought from Australia.

I couldn't agree more even if it's genuine, a low price ma indicate a perfume's passed its use by date or has been stored incorrectly or for too long.

Not only that because counterfeit perfumes have not been subjected to the same rigorous testing as legitimate products, they can contain a while hosty of unknown chemicals! making them unlikely to comply with the regulations. So you will get all sorts of nasty surprises such as burning the skin, rashes on people with sensitive skin, staining clothes and may even cause respiratory problems.

An old saying:

If the price seems too good to be true, it probably is.

Now, here's the picture I scanned from that magazine I read.

If you are Davidoff Cool Water fan, can you spot the real thing? The one the RIGHT of LEFT?

http://img511.imageshack.us/my.php?image=83146010li9.jpg

Hmm.. i don't think is fake. Davidoff changed their brand logo.. the same font is used for Adventure, Altitude, etc. U can see from here: http://www.zinodavidoff.com/zino/en/pub/beauty.cfm

Guest Sticky&Sweet

My all time favourite is CK One, which I've been using for more than a decade. My other two fragrances I use frequently are Estee Lauder's Pleasures for Men, and Clinique Happy.

just a reminder,

different perfumes react differently on different human body. so what smells nice on him, might not smell nice on you.

when you goes shopping for perfume, spray them on the paper provided. short list them to those that you like. then request to have a spray on your wrist. go walk around for about 1/2 hour to 45 mins. smell your wrist again. the perfume would have sufficient time, for chemical reactions on your body. only then can you be sure if the perfume suits you.

one of my friend once bought a perfume, which smells nice on his bf, but somehow.... it smells like sweaty undried clothes on himself. hahhaa

Would It Shatter Your Illusion If This Angel Had Been Cursed?

http://shitou79.blogspot.com

Anyone remember Davidoff Zino?

in the brownish bottle similar design to the cool water. I tot that was very very nice and wanted to buy it when i needed a new bottle... it was quickly discontinued... was it a limited edition?

damn.... i still have one small micro bottle sample with me... and i just use it as a once in a while snuff... can't find anything near it...

I think Zino is still in the market but due to its lukewarm public response, it is not sold here. You can still order it on the web from some perfume specialty online shops in the States.

I have not tried this before but reading a few reviews it seems to have a musky 'fecal' note that is common in YSL's Kouros also. Another controversial choice, for some.

http://www.basenotes.net/ID26121734.html

Old Spice I am using currently... heh... ok ... just the aftershave... but i agree, this is a very very nice aftershave to use

you can find this at Mustafa at Upper Serangoon Road... I was surprised to find a whole shelve of it there.

As to Drakar Noir, you can still find it at most perfume/fragrance shops...

Holy molly, I use Old Spice, the deoderant version. Only when playing tennis though.

• 1 month later...
  • G_M changed the title to Perfume / Cologne / EDT Discussion (Compiled)
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.