Male HQ

Chickpeas

Hey guys I was wondering any of you buy chickpeas before?

If yes can please tell me from where? dried or in cans? I never seem to notice them in supermarkets

I read somewhere that for dried ones, you need to soak them overnight before you can cook them right?

Im kinda sick of eating meat and I heard that they are very good source of proteins. I've never tried preparing them so Im planning to stir fry them with some curry powder for a start.

chickpeas.jpg

That awkward moment when you say goodbye and then walk in the same direction...

Guest Guest

You should be able to get them in the grocery shops in Little India and yes, soak them overnight before you use them. Even then, you cant just stir fry them just like that, you need to cook them first. I cook them, with a bit of salt, in a thermal pot, for about 3 hours, slightly less if you want them firm. Then you can stir fry them with curry powder, curry leaves and poppy seeds. I normally make a bean salad using chick peas, kidney beans and black turtle beans, with salt, sugar/honey and balsalmic vinegar/vinegar.

Guest Guest

Ah ok i didn't know that you still need to cook to soften them further even after soaking before stir frying.. thanks. Seems like a lot of prep time.

Not really, all the prep time is done by your thermal pot.

And if you dont want to stir fry, you can eat them as is once they are cooked in the thermal pot. Vinegar, sugar and salt or even just salt will do the trick. Easy peasey :)

You can make Hummus with them. It tastes really good

I've tried hummus at those middle eastern restaurant before..it's just alright for me lol, not really crazy about it. I think I like it more if it's like kacang puteh..not too mushy. :) 

Guest Guest

I've tried hummus at those middle eastern restaurant before..it's just alright for me lol, not really crazy about it. I think I like it more if it's like kacang puteh..not too mushy. :)

Grind some up, chop some up, mix with egg, a bit of flour, pepper, chopped curry leaves, roasted cumin, salt, make into flattened rounds, deep fry and you get this thing you can eat as is or for vegetarians, use as the 'meat' in sandwiches.

But of course, not as healthy as kacang putih style :).

BUT not recommended for people with gout.

Here is some reading you might find interesting http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=58

If it is true that it is a good protein source then I am interested. My only concern is flatulence. Does it cause wind like other beans?

I haven't started eating chickpeas on a regular basis so i'm not sure... But last 2 weeks ago when I ate it..was about 1 cup or 1 and half serving...no problem. Maybe different people will have different outcome! And yes it is a good source of protein

I saw Sheng Siong  selling dried chickpeas

which sheng siong? I think I've only seen them selling in small cans in canned section? I don't see them in veg section. You know what i think i'll just go ahead and buy the canned one and see what happens lol

Guest Guest

which sheng siong? I think I've only seen them selling in small cans in canned section? I don't see them in veg section. You know what i think i'll just go ahead and buy the canned one and see what happens lol

Canned ones will probably be cooked. Might be a bit tasteless or salty as they are normally soaked in brine. Hope you dont get turned off by the experience - the ones soaked and boiled are much tastier.

Canned ones will probably be cooked. Might be a bit tasteless or salty as they are normally soaked in brine. Hope you dont get turned off by the experience - the ones soaked and boiled are much tastier.

Which was why I hesitated in buying when I saw only the canned ones... lol

Guest Guest

Which was why I hesitated in buying when I saw only the canned ones... lol

Hmm... actually analogous, your butt is as nice and round as a large chick pea. :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Available in BAKED form too.  However, to me it has too much salt.

What I do is to wash away the salt in hot water and drain before eating.

Does anyone know of a way to steam or boil them without taking hours to soften them?

Does anyone know of a way to steam or boil them without taking hours to soften them?

soak them first is a must. Preferably overnight. Someone mention in the above posting to use thermal pot. Sounds like a good idea. Read somewhere before that you can also try soaking with a bit of baking soda.

soak them first is a must. Preferably overnight. Someone mention in the above posting to use thermal pot. Sounds like a good idea. Read somewhere before that you can also try soaking with a bit of baking soda.

That someone is me. Yes, soak overnight. Then 4 hours in a thermal pot. 5 hours if you prefer the chick peas to be softer - I prefer mine slightly crunchy. If you want, you can add a bit of salt at the soaking stage. I prefer to not use baking soda as it is bitter - the taste can get into the chick peas. Also, I think it is a chemical = not healthy but to each his own. I normally soak 3 kinds of beans and make them into a salad, adding a bit of sugar and either vinegar or balsamic vinegar or white wine vinegar. Keeps for a couple of weeks refrigerated. Use in other salads (good with daikon or carrot) or in sandwiches or as a side dish.

I have electrical slow cookers, those with heavy ceramic pots in them.  Are these the same things as thermal pots??

If I remember correctly, the peas foam very badly.  What to add to it to stop the foaming?

I have electrical slow cookers, those with heavy ceramic pots in them.  Are these the same things as thermal pots??

If I remember correctly, the peas foam very badly.  What to add to it to stop the foaming?

No, the thermal pots do not run on electricity. Also known as Tiger pots.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/SPT-Thermal-Cooker-ST-60B/202341867

http://oasisswiss.com/web/products/oasis-azure-thermal-cooker-2

They should not foam that much - just drain away the water used for soaking and replace with fresh water.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest redrunningshoes

Just boiled a batch. Soaked the dried chickpeas in water for about 8 hours and later boiled them for a good 40 minutes. I changed the water twice while soaking them. These chickpeas absorb water when you soak them, so you have to ensure that the water in the bowl is sufficient. (My ratio is chickpeas: water is 1:2). I made a really simple salad out of it -- Feta cheese, avocados, and extra virgin olive oil and pepper.

Simple and delicious. :) And very filling too.

And high in proteins. (And no, it doesn't make me flatulate unnecessarily.) Try it! Or you can look for Garbanzo beans in Cold Storage (try the Organic section, thats where I get mine).

• 2 months later...

How To Cook Dried Chickpeas in a Thermal Cooker

My supermarket has 375g packets of dried chickpeas which cook up nicely in the thermal cooker. I freeze them in little containers or Ziploc bags and take them out as I need them. They're packed with nutrition, make your casseroles and soups go a little further and buying dried like this, they are so cheap. Plus we just love their taste and texture - especially from the thermal cooker.

·                       Cook time: 1 hour 5 min

·                       Ready in: 1 hour 5 min

·                       Yields: 8-12

Ingredients

·              packet of dried chickpeas

·              water - to soak in and then fresh water to cook in

Instructions

1.             Soak the chickpeas overnight.

2.             Next day, drain chickpeas and add the rinsed chickpeas to the large pot.

3.             Half fill the pot with fresh water.

4.             Cover and bring to the boil.

5.             Simmer for 20 minutes with the lid on.

6.             Transfer pot to thermal pot for 45 minutes.

7.             Drain and eat or refrigerate or freeze as you require.

when i was in dubai, i tried eating hummus which is made of chickpeas. You can dip in some vegees like carrots, cucumber or lettuce its damn siok :) i heard you can buy it in arab street or in any fairprice store usually packed. Try it.

Lesson Learned.... Trust your instinct  :thumb:  ...and p.s. never use 'comic sans' as font its damn gross  :blink:

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the lead, LPG.  I will look for them.

The other day, I bought the pea from a pasar malam stall along the road.  The downside to it was that is was too salty.  No problem, just rinse them in hot water but the salty taste was still there.  Also bought from the same stall loose steamed corn (nice!) and fried greenish sweet potatoes(?).  

Felt so sorry for the those people manning the stall.. looking downtrodden yet humble.  O Lord, how much can they make?! 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.