Male HQ

Hot/Cute Guys Reactivated (images ONLY) + Yahoo's #Fitspo series - TikTok & Twitter are not allowed! (Please read the first post for instructions)

sphere

Happy - is what we should be, always.

Notice: I DO NOT use the Chat Function in this Forum - this has always been written in my profile (and I don't read it too).

{it is unfortunate that this new Chat Function does not allow users to turn/switch off in mobile phone}

Notice: I DO NOT use the Chat Function in this Forum - this has always been written in my profile (and I don't read it too).

{it is unfortunate that this new Chat Function does not allow users to turn/switch off in mobile phone}

Singapore #Fitspo of the Week Scott Tay: 'I find fulfilment in enabling people to view life from various perspectives' (15 April 2024)

Singapore #Fitspo of the Week Scott Tay is the founder of the adventure travel company Beyond Expeditions.

Singapore #Fitspo of the Week Scott Tay is the founder of the adventure travel company Beyond Expeditions. (PHOTO: Cheryl Tay)

Name: Scott Tay (@scottiehottie92)

Height: 1.80m

Weight: 80kg

Occupation: Founder of adventure travel company Beyond Expeditions

Food: I follow a vegetarian diet, and honestly, mushrooms and eggs are not my favourites. Tofu is a staple in my meals and I absolutely love indulging in daal and chapati – they are my go-to comfort foods.

Exercise: During my downtime, when I'm not on assignment - whether I'm out of town on expeditions with clients or on recce trips - I aim to stay active. This involves hitting the gym or going for a run at least six times a week in Singapore.

Scott used to enjoy a variety of sports, including badminton, volleyball and basketball.
Scott used to enjoy a variety of sports, including badminton, volleyball and basketball. (PHOTO: Cheryl Tay)

Q: What sports did you get into when you were younger?

A: I used to have a real passion for a variety of sports like badminton, volleyball, basketball – basically, anything dynamic.

Instead of focusing on one sport competitively, my mindset growing up was to explore as many sports as possible. I found it fascinating to try out different activities and see what resonated with me.

How did your fitness regime evolve as you got older?

I've come to understand the importance of commitment, consistency, and making fitness a priority. Given the many aspects I manage in my business, maintaining discipline and putting in the effort, whether it's on the track or in the gym, is crucial for staying fit.

Perhaps, once things become more routine, I can tap into that "beast mode" energy reminiscent of my younger days.

You started backpacking since the age of 17. How did you start?

I left polytechnic when I was 18, and even before that, I had already dipped my toes into the world of backpacking. From the moment I left poly until my university graduation, I found myself embarking on numerous backpacking adventures. It became a bit of an obsession for me. I had this intense desire to explore the world, to get a real taste of what's out there. It felt like the most authentic way for me to learn and grow beyond the confines of the classroom.

Along this journey, I've had the incredible opportunity to visit places like Bangladesh, Pakistan, Mongolia, and many more.

What led you to start Beyond Expeditions?

After graduating from university, I continued my backpacking adventures for six months. Somewhere along the way, in the sixth month, I found myself drawn back to Mongolia. Scrolling through social media and seeing friends frequenting mainstream destinations for food and shopping multiple times a year, I felt a strong urge to reveal the untouched beauty of Mongolia to them.

Scott Tay feels that backpacking is the most authentic way to learn and grow beyond the confines of the classroom.
Scott Tay feels that backpacking is the most authentic way to learn and grow beyond the confines of the classroom. (PHOTO: Cheryl Tay)

That's when a compelling idea struck me – to promote Mongolia as the next unconventional holiday destination, a place where one can undergo transformation and personal growth that lasts long after returning home. That was the start of Beyond Expeditions.

What is your favourite part of your job? Conversely, what are the challenges?

One of the aspects I cherish most about my career is the creative freedom it offers. I particularly enjoy the autonomy of being able to execute big ideas without having to seek approval from anyone. It's liberating to just dive in and make it happen.

However, the challenges arise when trying to break down these ambitious concepts with the team. Sometimes, they can be quite abstract, scattered in little bits here and there. The real task lies in transforming these ideas into tangible work or deliverables that our clients can truly connect with.

You're very active in charity work too.

We have been raising funds for various charities through our expeditions since 2018. Once, we pulled along a tyre each as we trekked across the unforgiving heat of the Gobi desert.

I'm excited to share that we've wrapped up our sixth charity expedition in the northern Mongolia taiga region earlier this year. It was an incredible journey, trekking for three days in frigid temperatures of -40°C to raise funds for the Children Cancer Foundation.

Looking ahead, our next adventure is set for July 2024 in Kyrgyzstan, where we'll be lending our support to the Breast Cancer Foundation. Can't wait for the meaningful experiences that lie ahead.

You served in the Singapore Civil Defence Force for national service – how did that experience help you in your work today?

For me, it's all about the people. Throughout the years, I've gained valuable insights into effectively communicating with individuals of diverse characters and personalities.

The best part is realising that each person I meet provides me with an opportunity to enhance my problem-solving skills, especially when they find themselves outside their comfort zone during an expedition.

Scott's company has been raising funds for various charities through our expeditions since 2018.
Scott's company has been raising funds for various charities through our expeditions since 2018. (PHOTO: Cheryl Tay)

Travel is a big part of your life, personal and professional. What does it mean to you?

It's no longer just about reaching a destination; it's about leveraging travel as a means to guide individuals through personal transformation. I find fulfilment in enabling people to view life from various perspectives and cherish small moments, like savouring a steaming bowl of noodle soup to ward off the chill in a humble hut.

I don't keep track of the countries I've visited – that doesn't hold significance for me and doesn't contribute to the purpose I seek in life.

When you were younger, did you experience any incidents that made you feel insecure about yourself?

Absolutely. I used to feel the need to constantly be in the spotlight. However, I've come to the realisation that I'm genuinely happier embracing a more low-key lifestyle. What matters most to me now is not comparing myself to others, recognising that there will always be someone out there who seems to have it better.

When did you feel the least confident about yourself?

During my journey from childhood through university, I discovered a significant shift in my mindset. Upon completing my studies and embarking on backpacking adventures, I began cultivating a strong sense of self-confidence.

This transformation involved prioritising my inner growth, a path that proved to be more fulfilling than concerning myself with others' opinions.

Are you satisfied with your body now?

Feeling great! If my schedule allows, I might consider gaining an additional 10kg of muscle.

Do you get any comments about your body?

Folks were wondering if I'm on cycle or something at times when they see me in the gym.

If you could change anything about yourself, would you?

We're constantly evolving with each passing moment, so let's embrace and savour the journey.

Singapore #Fitspo of the Week Scott Tay. (PHOTO: Cheryl Tay)
Singapore #Fitspo of the Week Scott Tay. (PHOTO: Cheryl Tay)