Male HQ

Here Are 13 Kitchen Tips That Will Turn Anyone Into A Top Chef

Bern

It's time to get more flavor out of your kitchen with less hassle. As a microwave chef myself, I know how daunting it can be when you're going over a list of ingredients and instructions for even the simplest of recipes. With these tips, you'll be searing up the perfect steak, enjoying a nice side of rice, getting the most out of the lemons life gives you and more.

Take a look!

1.) Microwave lemons for 20-30 seconds and you'll get a lot more juice out of 'em.

2.) Place a wooden spoon across your pot to keep it from boiling over.

3.) When your brown sugar seems rock solid, sprinkle with water and cover with a damp paper towel, then microwave for 30 second intervals until soft.

4.) Soak mussels and clams in water with a few tablespoons of flour/cornmeal for about 30 minutes to get rid of any sand or grit still inside.

5.) Add a pinch of salt to your cutting board when slicing up herbs to keep them from sticking to your knife.

6.) Remove the core from lettuce by slamming it down on a cutting board -- hard.

7.) Garlic will slip right out of its peel after microwaving the cloves for 10 seconds.

8.) Or you can smash the cloves, put them in a couple of bowls and shake really hard.

9.) Use water on your fingers to easily nab stray eggshells.

10.) Don't thaw your frozen steak before cooking. It will cook more evenly and taste much better.

11.) Rinse rice before preparing in order to avoid any clumps.

12.) And freeze the leftove rice in microwave safe bowls to easily enjoy later with a dash of water and few minutes in the microwave.

13.) Drop some ice cubes into your finished soup or stew to easily scoop out all the yucky fat.

Add all of that together and you've got one amazing meal. Now, what's for dessert?

Join the official BW Telegram Group Chat: https://bit.ly/frmbw

Mucho gracias for the tips! As someone who has to cook for 3 months cos of internship... Any tips on knife techniques? And simple recipes, maybe? :D

For me, knife skills wise:

1. make sure your knife's sharp. It's safer, and you'll realise how awesome a sharp knife is

2. if you're starting out, don't be afraid to go slow.

3. plenty of youtube tutorials on knife skills. Find a style that suits you.

4. I hate onions but I sometimes get an onion or 2 to practice. (make a vegetable stock/soup and slice everything really finely. great way to practice chopping)

Hah, yeah, I've been practicing chopping for a few times now. I'm still as slow as a sloth, though. Any tips on the knives I should buy? There's quite a few and I've got some money to spare to get a good knive. Just not the ceramic ones though. Those are crazy expensive. >_>

• 2 weeks later...

since you're just starting, just get a normal kitchen knife with a good grip, with a little weight so that you don't have to move a bulky chopper and cut yourself. just remember that it's more of a push and pull action instead of a slam it down kinda thing

Cooking is my passion. Music is my life. Reading is my sanity. 

Bitching about you keeps me happy. 

"People fear because of a lack of understanding, and a lack of understanding comes from a lack of proper communication on both parties, so to resolve fear we need to first resolve communication"

1.) Microwave lemons for 20-30 seconds and you'll get a lot more juice out of 'em.  (TRUE)

2.) Place a wooden spoon across your pot to keep it from boiling over. (BULLSHIT!!)

3.) When your brown sugar seems rock solid, sprinkle with water and cover with a damp paper towel, then microwave for 30 second intervals until soft. (BULLSHIT)

4.) Soak mussels and clams in water with a few tablespoons of flour/cornmeal for about 30 minutes to get rid of any sand or grit still inside. (THIS IS REALLY A JOKE)

5.) Add a pinch of salt to your cutting board when slicing up herbs to keep them from sticking to your knife. (THE HERBS WILL DIE WITHIN A DAY, THE SALT WILL KILL THE HERBS)

6.) Remove the core from lettuce by slamming it down on a cutting board -- hard. (BULL SHIT)

7.) Garlic will slip right out of its peel after microwaving the cloves for 10 seconds. (BULLSHIT)

8.) Or you can smash the cloves, put them in a couple of bowls and shake really hard. (BULLSHIT)

9.) Use water on your fingers to easily nab stray eggshells. (BULLSHIT)

10.) Don't thaw your frozen steak before cooking. It will cook more evenly and taste much better. (WHICH CHEF DID THIS MONKEY WORKS WITH!!??) 

11.) Rinse rice before preparing in order to avoid any clumps. (THE TRUTH IS TO GET RID OF SAND / DIRT OR ANY PARTICLES IN THE RICE, RINSE 3 TIMES TILL THE WATER BECOMES CLEAR)

12.) And freeze the left over rice in microwave safe bowls to easily enjoy later with a dash of water and few minutes in the microwave. (HOW DO U FREEZE RICE IN A MICROWAVE?)

13.) Drop some ice cubes into your finished soup or stew to easily scoop out all the yucky fat. (strongly recommend to chill the soup in a chiller once it has reached room temperature)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Real or otherwise, these tips will not make a person a chef, much less a top chef. At most, it will make the person more efficient in the kitchen.

5.) Add a pinch of salt to your cutting board when slicing up herbs to keep them from sticking to your knife. (THE HERBS WILL DIE WITHIN A DAY, THE SALT WILL KILL THE HERBS)

I am not convinced that a pinch of salt on the cutting board will help slice/chop up herbs. I always wash my herbs before cutting, and the residual water will make the chopped herbs stick to the knife - adhesive properties of water.

It is true that the herbs will be affected by salt as per Zackling's comments, but I believe the author meant for all the herbs to be chopped and used, so the herbs will die in the cooking process anyway.

6.) Remove the core from lettuce by slamming it down on a cutting board -- hard. (BULL SHIT)

It works with Iceberg lettuce. I often do this to iceberg lettuce. It would most probably not work with other types of lettuce. I believe the author is from some country in the west where iceberg lettuce is very common so much so that they are just referred to as "lettuce."

8.) Or you can smash the (garlic) cloves, put them in a couple of bowls and shake really hard. (BULLSHIT)

I have not tried this, but I feel it is not efficient at all. I would rather smash the garlic with the blade of a knife. This process crushes the garlic and allows it to release its essence.

9.) Use water on your fingers to easily nab stray eggshells. (BULLSHIT)

If the eggshells are dry, and are on a dry surface, the adhesive property of water will make the bits of eggshell stick onto the fingers.

However, if the bits of eggshell are in the bowl together with the albumin and yolk, it will not work.

10.) Don't thaw your frozen steak before cooking. It will cook more evenly and taste much better. (WHICH CHEF DID THIS MONKEY WORKS WITH!!??) 

This trick may help cook a steak rare on the inside, well done on the outside. Steak cooked this way does not fit into my definition of "cook more evenly".

11.) Rinse rice before preparing in order to avoid any clumps. (THE TRUTH IS TO GET RID OF SAND / DIRT OR ANY PARTICLES IN THE RICE, RINSE 3 TIMES TILL THE WATER BECOMES CLEAR)

It is the starch surrounding the rice grains that makes the rice clump together. Washing the uncooked rice grains help wash away the surrounding starch. As Zackling said, washing the rice grains help rid them of sand and dirt. Definitely the proper thing to do before cooking the rice.

12.) And freeze the left over rice in microwave safe bowls to easily enjoy later with a dash of water and few minutes in the microwave. (HOW DO U FREEZE RICE IN A MICROWAVE?)

Indeed, it is not possible freeze rice in a microwave. However, it is possible to freeze the left over rice in "microwave safe bowls."

13.) Drop some ice cubes into your finished soup or stew to easily scoop out all the yucky fat. (strongly recommend to chill the soup in a chiller once it has reached room temperature)

I totally agree with Zackling on this.

• 2 weeks later...
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.