Male HQ

What Side Dish Best Suited To Plain Porridge?

Guest Teochew Porridge

Guest Ka Chng Ang Ang

I remember that the baby crabs were actually marinated while they were alive. They were simply washed and then placed into a jar and soaked with the marinade. The marinade is a lot simpler than this Korean version if I recall correctly, Involved just a few bottles of this and that. Sigh...piping hot porridge worked really well with the cold raw salty crabs.

Last time I went to thailand, one of those night club food outlet also sell Bhwa Ki and those gogo boy just love it raw (squeezed with lime and chillie).  I think it is common to eat those homemade marinated crab in thailand.

I remember that the baby crabs were actually marinated while they were alive. They were simply washed and then placed into a jar and soaked with the marinade. The marinade is a lot simpler than this Korean version if I recall correctly, Involved just a few bottles of this and that. Sigh...piping hot porridge worked really well with the cold raw salty crabs.

Yes it is a very simple sauce. Did not know that Thailand and Korea has this as well. Thought this was a very local Teochew dish. LOL.

Thanks for the information. I'm trying to figure when am I going to finish it..... :)

Btw, (out of topic) have u tried the chwee kuey - from both tiong Bahru Jian poh, and Bedok Chwee kuey? Which one is better?

Tried Jian Poh the Tiong Bahru Chwee Kuey. The Chwee Kuey is still as I remembered it. Firm and tender. The chye poh that I tried was just nice in terms of saltiness and sweetness. However, sad to say it is not fragrant. In fact, the standard for the chye poh has dropped. The chilli is not that spicy with a hint of small shrimp (Hei Bee) taste.

Will let you know about the Bedok Chwee Kuey when I locate the store sellingit.

Tried the Bedok Chwee Kuey yesterday. The Chwee Kuey is soft compared to the firmness from the Tiong Bahru Chwee Kuen. The Chye Poh is fragrant and very nicely fried. Chilli is just normal chilli i e no special ingredient added. A touch spicy for me (personal taste).

On the whole I would say Bedok Chwee Kuey comes out tops because of the Chye Poh.

Apologies for side tracking from main topic

Tried the Bedok Chwee Kuey yesterday. The Chwee Kuey is soft compared to the firmness from the Tiong Bahru Chwee Kuen. The Chye Poh is fragrant and very nicely fried. Chilli is just normal chilli i e no special ingredient added. A touch spicy for me (personal taste).

On the whole I would say Bedok Chwee Kuey comes out tops because of the Chye Poh.

Apologies for side tracking from main topic

The chye poh (from Bedok Chwee kuey) not only fragrance, but also (a bit of) sweetness and soft. It tastes nicely.For the tiong Bahru Chwee kuey, the chye Poh is a bit of salty and (slightly of) bitterness. The quality of Chwee Kuey is very depends to the Chye Poh.

However, (personal opinion) both Chye Poh a bit of oily..... :) (there is no issue if we try it once in a while)

Personally, I like Bedok Chwee Kuey.

Anyway, thanks for sharing buddy....:)

Likewise, apology for personal indulgence in which not related to main topic. :)

It would be a real shame if the recipe is lost forever. 

This is the closest thing that I can find to bwa kih - 

Thanks for sharing this recipe

I totally forgot about this dish, didn't expect still got ppl here still remember them.

but the actually ones dun use mode crab or flower crab like this recipe right? a different species.

While on this subject, u guys remember soaking cockles in black soya sauce and cut chillie and garlic too?

As for the porridge, i usually stock some canned stuff for such occasion. favorite ones like Bak Teng, (chillies pork cube), Bak Cheo, peanuts.

My family love this preserved olives but i dun.

of course my favorite "Hay bee hiam " 

but surprising one of my favorite way to have porridge is to have it plain.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Instead of having plain porridge, why not cook some potatoes, carrots or broccoli in the same pot as your porridge (just boil them together with the rice). Those ingredients will make the porridge sweet without any artificial flavourings. Also, they become really soft when cooked in this way so the texture of the porridge isn't ruined. Broccoli and carrots make the porridge really sweet and nice when cooked in this way.

Otherwise, since the point of eating porridge is to eat healthily, I usually go with boiled vegetables and meats with my porridge.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.