Male HQ

Going Organic?

Ari

Been watching a lot of health documentary films (from FoodMatters which had some films made available for streaming and Docu-series The Truth About Cancer ) the past few weeks and I've been so inspired to start eating healthily. 

I wanna start juicing again. I used to do that in the past but stopped because of school and also because the fact that I was lazy haha.aintevenmad.gif

I learned so much about how conventional medication is bad for us and that drugs/medicines are actually more harmful than the disease itself. And the monopoly of modern medicine... etc. Did you know that doctors are not taught about nutrition?! 

I think natural cures are more effective! 

I also discovered about GMOs (Genetically Modified Organisms) that they're are in most of the food we consume! And the pesticides in our fresh produce (fruits & veggies). GMOs and pesticides can compromise our immune system = health.

Genetic engineering creates dangerous side effects (Reasons to Avoid GMOs).

Read more about The Good, Bad and Ugly about GMOs 

Also more information on GMOs and  here

--------

I know that the AVA does routinely tests on the fruits & veggies imported to Singapore to ensure the safety of our food.

BUT after watching the films, I don't think we should even have pesticides in our fresh produce in the first place, you know? dontlike.gif

Yes - they're used to kill off insects etc. but how well do you wash your fruits & veggies? And believe it or not, sometimes it's not easy to remove the pesticides because they're in the plant itself together with the nutrients!!! EEK! 

In short, the past few weeks were eye-opening. I am now more wary wutsgoingon.gifof what I put in my mouth now (lol)

Anywho... I've also discovered about 'The Dirty Dozen & Clean 15' I hope you find the infographic helpful! cutesmile%5B1%5D.gif

DirtyDozenInfographic.jpg

Source: Infographic From Garrick Dee Tan

All this revelation about GMOs and pesticides made me say goodbye to my favorite Cheetos  crying1.gifand make me wanna start going organic. Well not exactly 100 percent organic. Just wanna start slowly because I'm a student and can't really afford buying organic stuff! I know that supermarkets like Cold Storage and Fairprice sell organic products but the options are so limited and they're pretty pricey...

And so I wanna ask you...

1. Do you guys opt for organic food/products?

2. Do you guys juice fruits/veggies?

3. Do you know any places that sell AFFORDABLE organic fruits & veggies and organic food products?

Omgosh I've been rambling on a lot here hehe...omgyall.gif

Sorry... I'm just so excited about wanting to be healthy... and sharing it with you guys...

I just wanna find like-minded people who are into organic food/products and enjoy healthy eating... hug.gif

So please comment and share some of your suggestions and thoughts in this thread.

Thank you!

Edited by Ari

I have never paid much attention to what I eat, unfortunately. But your lists hardly surprise me. Most of the Dirty Dozen are eaten with the skins on n I'd assume most of the pesticides are concentrated on the skins. Most of the Clean Fifteen, on the other hand, r eaten peeled. So much less exposure of the flesh.

But there are so many other healthy foods like carrots n blueberries. I guess they must fall into the Dirty category though.

I have never paid much attention to what I eat, unfortunately. But your lists hardly surprise me. Most of the Dirty Dozen are eaten with the skins on n I'd assume most of the pesticides are concentrated on the skins. Most of the Clean Fifteen, on the other hand, r eaten peeled. So much less exposure of the flesh.

But there are so many other healthy foods like carrots n blueberries. I guess they must fall into the Dirty category though.

Yeah I agree. Paranoid me always turns to organic - and expensive - carrots and blueberries... lol

There is a farm in Lim Chu Kang where you can get locally sourced green vegetables.

It's called "Green Circle". It does delivery at $5 extra.

I try to go organic but organically raised meat is gonna be near impossible to find locally so I get it mostly from the vegetables/fruits.

Ah yes I've been to that site before!

How often do you make an order? And how much do you roughly spend? lol 

Do you juice? cutesmile%5B1%5D.gif

I am someone who is also into healthy lifestyle.

As for your list of Dirty Dozen, I do not think it has enough truth. Firstly, I believe the source of the food where it is being tested for pesticide has to be taken into consideration. Eg; if you compare brocoli from China vs Australia, do you think it has the same amount of pesticide? For someone like myself who is allergic to farmers chemical, without knowing the country source, when I take a watermelon or pomegranate from China, I will be running for toilet within 30 mins after consuming it as compared to eating pomegranate from Egypt,

So, the food itself is not the reason for containing high levels of pesticide. Rather, it is the farmer who planted these fruits. Also, do you think it is safe to eat organic vegetables from China? Please note that even though the famers in countries like China may not use pesticides in their farm, as high as 60% of the land & water in China are intoxicated by industrial waste.

I am someone who is also into healthy lifestyle.

As for your list of Dirty Dozen, I do not think it has enough truth. Firstly, I believe the source of the food where it is being tested for pesticide has to be taken into consideration. Eg; if you compare brocoli from China vs Australia, do you think it has the same amount of pesticide? For someone like myself who is allergic to farmers chemical, without knowing the country source, when I take a watermelon or pomegranate from China, I will be running for toilet within 30 mins after consuming it as compared to eating pomegranate from Egypt,

So, the food itself is not the reason for containing high levels of pesticide. Rather, it is the farmer who planted these fruits. Also, do you think it is safe to eat organic vegetables from China? Please note that even though the famers in countries like China may not use pesticides in their farm, as high as 60% of the land & water in China are intoxicated by industrial waste.

The Dirty Dozen are just general guidelines when you wanna buy your fruits & veggies. They could be different in some countries but they're pretty standard.

The Dirty Dozen for China would probably be more like 'Dirty 50 or more' lol  I think anything from China is questionable when it comes to food lol

Maybe you have but so far,  I've not seen any organic produce from China here in Singapore though...

Most organic imports are from Malaysia, Australia, New Zealand... (to my own knowledge) But feel free to correct me lol

Anywho... where do you usually get your fresh produce or organic products? Any good suggestions?  cutesmile%5B1%5D.gif

• 4 weeks later...

I think that you're posting stuff that was put out in an effort to create hysteria as opposed to actually educating. 

The fallacy that modern medicine will make you sicker than the disease it's supposed to deter or cure is absolute bullshit. You're talking about the side effects and not the actual drug effect. Of course, if the meds you've been prescribed is causing problems, go see your doctor - preferably the one that administered the dosage of medicine. You can also go and do research on the medicines and the side effects. An even better thing you can do is prevent getting sick with a balanced diet and exercise regime, and at least 7-8 hours of sleep every night.

Doctors that you go to see when you're sick ARE trained in nutrition; it's one of the most vital components to assessing and diagnosing patients. If you want to be such a jiggaboo and throw around some random article you've read online to be true, I'd suggest you talk to a dietician and find out for yourself. Just think of it this way: when you're really sick and an ambulance picks you up to bring you to a hospital, would you you ask for one with doctors or one with these kooks who write such articles? The most important thing to do, if you want to be super-cautious, is to find out where your food came from and the techniques and regulations that are used/imposed in farming and harvesting. Or you can look for a farmer's market with locally produced products. 

And one last thing. Go do your research before you post shit like this. And I mean research to be both sides of the issue, and see which is more substantiated with evidence and which is more of whims and fancies. Don't just take my word for it either; even I'm wrong, so don't be ashamed of not knowing, it's always something to learn every time. 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.