Male HQ

How Long Will You Stay In The Closet?

Jake.Roxas

There are dozens of reasons why guys - and girls - decide not to come out. Each faces a different set of circumstances. Each has to make a very personal decision. Frankly, it's not anyone else's business.

And who are the "we" you refer to? What is it to "you" if someone is out or not? What right might "you" have to imply "keeping it up" is a bad thing?

If you are not 'Out' yet, we want to know the reason why. How long will you keep it?

Tell us WHO is this "WE" that want to know?

And what is it to you that we have to tell you why and how long? Not exactly a very conversational exchange tone you are taking on this issue.

Edited by upshot

** Comments are my opinions, same as yours. It's not a 'Be-All-and-End-All' view. Intent's to thought-provoke, validate, reiterate and yes, even correct. Opinion to consider but agree to disagree. I don't enjoy conflicted exchanges, empty bravado or egoistical chest pounding. It's never personal, tribalistic or with malice. Frank by nature, means, I never bend the truth. Views are to broaden understanding - Updated: Nov 2021.

Guest Anonymous

Good to have this topic. I also want to know because I want to relate. I can't be out because of my family who are too conservative and having a father who is in the army, it is really not an option for me to be out for now.

I can't be out because of my family who are too conservative and having a father who is in the army, it is really not an option for me to be out for now.

Surely this is the main reason why most younger guys are 'afraid' to come out: concern about the reaction not just of parents but the extended family? But the chances r u will have to face the issue sometime in the future. Pressure will eventually grow with constant questions about girlfriends n marriage. For some years, these can be deflected. "Not ready. Want to concentrate first on getting n working at a good job to make money. etc."

Even if u move to ur own place, these questions will not go away. Eventually they will be replaced by suspicion n gossip? "Do you think he's gay? Have u seen him with other boys?" By that time u need a different set of answers - n they r more difficult to fabricate. So my advice wld be this. There is no problem in not coming out when u know u r gay. But ALWAYS hv a good answer prepared in advance for when someone asks u the inevitable question. Making one up on the spot may give the game away.

But also realise that if you show no desire to hv girlfriends n no plans to get married, usually someone in the family will have worked out that u r in fact gay. I'd try to find someone in the family who is close to u, mabe an uncle or aunt, who can help first to guard the secret n then to help prepare ur other relatives when u decide u want to come out.

Hope this helps.

This is quite interesting. As a Bi, i don't think i need to be outed as I have the best of both worlds.

I also think that some of the commenters don't understand the question and prefers to hate the topic and/or the one who started the thread. The topic is actually a good one for some gays who can relate or who want to understand.

This is quite interesting. As a Bi, i don't think i need to be outed as I have the best of both worlds.

I also think that some of the commenters don't understand the question and prefers to hate the topic and/or the one who started the thread. The topic is actually a good one for some gays who can relate or who want to understand.

It is a stupid thread

1) who is ' We " in the first place.? He doesn't represent all of us, neither are we interested whose in or whose out

2) If he is so God Damn proud of being out, then why don't he show us and the rest of the God damn World, his God Damn Face here?

Surely this is the main reason why most younger guys are 'afraid' to come out: concern about the reaction not just of parents but the extended family? But the chances r u will have to face the issue sometime in the future. Pressure will eventually grow with constant questions about girlfriends n marriage. For some years, these can be deflected. "Not ready. Want to concentrate first on getting n working at a good job to make money. etc."

Even if u move to ur own place, these questions will not go away. Eventually they will be replaced by suspicion n gossip? "Do you think he's gay? Have u seen him with other boys?" By that time u need a different set of answers - n they r more difficult to fabricate. So my advice wld be this. There is no problem in not coming out when u know u r gay. But ALWAYS hv a good answer prepared in advance for when someone asks u the inevitable question. Making one up on the spot may give the game away.

But also realise that if you show no desire to hv girlfriends n no plans to get married, usually someone in the family will have worked out that u r in fact gay. I'd try to find someone in the family who is close to u, mabe an uncle or aunt, who can help first to guard the secret n then to help prepare ur other relatives when u decide u want to come out.

Hope this helps.

These day and age? There are more and more news out in Singapore but elsewhere in the world about both sexes marrying later or even considering to stay single. Though the stigma if being gay is a lot more common place now, the pockets of resistance are among the older folks (parents) mentality which in time will disappear naturally with each successive generation and of course you have the usual bigotry that involves politicians, company bosses, religious nut jobs and sometime regular males/female who are just are too dense to change their thinking. I know of people who like me stay closeted for professional reason as well as family. Even if a boss can accept you and let you work there but it might effect my pay check and promotion prospect for higher positions.

There are many example of marriage as an institution is no longer deem to be compulsory or end game of a person's life. In Japan, there are str8 men and women who are giving up marriage and even sex. So much so they think birthrate in Japan will be at a stand still by 2030. The men are even nicknamed "Herbivorous" and we have guys who are so sick of the whims of toxic women and decided to give up marriage ( M.G.T.O.W. ). Here's a thought, tell people you hate toxic women and that is why you are not going to marry. :thumb: :smokin: :twisted:

As we progress forward, individual are empowered with more lifestyle choices options and the general public is starting to accept that. Though at time not wanting to talk about it. (don't ask don't tell)

So anyone wanting to come out to the world or if you choose to stay closeted for now or forever, I think that is your prerogative. Only you know how you should live. 

Don't even let the "new-bigot gay" (gay who has came out and now has this hate mentality toward closeted gays and bi ) tell you that you are being coward or what shit they will call you to say you are not as good as them to be real and come out and be yourself.

I find such people to have their own power agenda which they are NOT entirely trying to tell you but wanting you to change and join them. We seem to be seeing too many people with hidden agendas these day.. so we should follow our heart and reasoning. So long what you are doing or not doing is harming or benefiting no one (but yourself).

Be empowered to be you. (criminal notions need not apply heheh )

** Comments are my opinions, same as yours. It's not a 'Be-All-and-End-All' view. Intent's to thought-provoke, validate, reiterate and yes, even correct. Opinion to consider but agree to disagree. I don't enjoy conflicted exchanges, empty bravado or egoistical chest pounding. It's never personal, tribalistic or with malice. Frank by nature, means, I never bend the truth. Views are to broaden understanding - Updated: Nov 2021.

Is not that easy to just come out got to have lots of confident, personally I m scared to come out, tho I been letting hint out sometimes and just hope that if they will understand and accept

Waiting for my impossible love

comingoutpic.jpg

Coming out is a very personal decision. Everyone's situation & experiences are different, and there is no  standard way to come out or to stay in the closet.

Here at Oogachaga, we've put together a  brochure for young people who are thinking of coming out, called "Coming Out to family for youth".  There are also some useful tips for people who may not be "youths" anymore!

Useful sections include:

- Some situations in which you may need to think twice before coming out

- FAQs by family

- Dealing with the bumps in the road

- When should you seek help?

- Who can help and how?

You can click on the image to read the online brochure, or click here directly.

You can also find out more about Oogachaga's services here.

Edited by Oogachagacare

OogachagaCARE is an online counselling service by Oogachaga for the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer & questioning (LGBTQ+) community. You can also reach us at:

However, if you need to talk to someone urgently because you're in emotional crisis, feeling suicidal or affected by suicide, please consider:

Samaritans of Singapore (SOS) 24hr suicide prevention hotline: 1-767 (1-SOS)

Oogachaga is a community-based, non-profit professional organization working with lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer & questioning (LGBTQ+) individuals, couples and families in Singapore since 1999. Visit us on www.oogachaga.LGBT / www.congregaytion.com

Don't ask, don't tell. As if everone is anticipating if you are going to come out. Let them assume but it is not their business if you are gay. It is still your preference that matters.

I do not think it is ever necessary to be "out" to anyone.

Your true friends will never be bother to keep finding out why you are not married etc.

Same apply to family members; and they will probably know about your orientation, just short of saying "Eh, you gay ah?"

As for the people in the same community, there is the gaydar thingy and well, enough said.

I do not think it is ever necessary to be "out" to anyone.

Your true friends will never be bother to keep finding out why you are not married etc.

Same apply to family members; and they will probably know about your orientation, just short of saying "Eh, you gay ah?"

As for the people in the same community, there is the gaydar thingy and well, enough said.

pertain to the last sentence, I was puzzles to the word "gaydar"... It is very interesting... Sometimes, the instinct will tell u that the said person is/ or could be PLU even though u don't know him....:)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest EternalFlame

If you are not 'Out' yet, we want to know the reason why. How long will you keep it?

I don't think the society is ready for another gay to come out. I'm surrounded with people who don't understand gays' ways of life hence i think i'll keep it to myself until the day i die. Hopefully on the next life i would be straight or gays are most acceptable in the society.

And how is "gays' way of life" different from that of our straight counterparts?

Gays' way of life has some disadvantages and many advantages :)

But this does not mean that one has to be 'in' or 'out'.

Edited by Steve5380

Guest Mudskipper

We stay out of the closet when we see our surrounding are acceptable and less threatening. We stay in the closet when we sense anti-gay people around.  Go with the tide and keep our eyes wide.

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, Guest Rudy said:

If you are in 50s like me, i think no need to come out. Just enjoy life as it is.

If you are in your 50s and enjoy life there is no need to dwell over "coming out".

To begin with, at this age one should give a damn of what others think about oneself,

especially if no future career is at risk of homophobic bashing.

But even so, sexual orientation should not be written on our forehead (or conveyed by  effeminate behavior).

Even if there is no reason to hide, our orientation should only be communicated on a need-to-know basis.

And even in SG much gay fun can be had with some anonymity,

and even more fun is available in nearby countries.

If the small probability of being found out occurs, then what the heck! ,

it is still better than being sick or having an accident.

Edited by Steve5380

8 hours ago, Guest said:

Coming out soon to my parents. I'm preparing to do it this weekend

Good luck!

Remember that you love your parents,

and they also should love you.

This love means that they should repress any selfish expectations of how you should be,

and accept you as you really are.

Be assertive and tell them that you expect, of course, their support.

In an ideal world there would be no need to come out because we wouldn't be in the closet in the first place.  I think coming out is a personal decision specific to the individual and there is no right or wrong decision as everyone's situation is different and unique.  We as a community should congratulate those who have and sympathize with those who are for whatever reason unable to. 

On 3 March 2016 at 3:35 AM, Guest said:

Coming out soon to my parents. I'm preparing to do it this weekend

Oh dear, this turned out bad. My dad was so shocked and we ended in hospital. His BP went high. Bit okay now and he is already at home but not talking to me. Mom seems sour to me as well. Maybe they would realise soon nothing could change me unless I do.

11 minutes ago, Guest said:

Oh dear, this turned out bad. My dad was so shocked and we ended in hospital. His BP went high. Bit okay now and he is already at home but not talking to me. Mom seems sour to me as well. Maybe they would realise soon nothing could change me unless I do.

Oh no, wish your dad a speedy recovery.  Whatever happens don't blame yourself and don't blame them either. Give it some time and they will accept what no one can change, that you were born this way.  Do something special for yourself today to distract yourself from any negativity.

41 minutes ago, Guest said:

How sad!  Your dad must be made to understand that sexual orientation IS NOT a choice.

And this means that he cannot blame you for that.

So "not speaking to you" is not a choice he can hold forever.

As seven7 wrote, it may take him and your mom some time.

Don't put blame on yourself, neither to yourself not to them.

Be nice and firm in not accepting blame, but also don't argue.

Time will resolve the situation.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.