Male HQ

4K Tv

Guest TV

Do you know that there are still not a lot of 4K shows available. This is because the technology is new and for companies that do video productions to throw away older gear they are using to do 1080p HD ( and possible still paying off on their purchases)  it will be sometime before you get to see 4K as a regular stream in general TV for a couple of years to come in Singapore.

So right not you are going to be paying a PREMIUM price for all this fancy high tech toys of today.

Also if your eye sight is not as good or those watching the tv most of the time at home are the older folks with glasses and reduce eye clarity, they will not see any better on a 720p or 1080p HD TV.,,,,unless you are buyign those 100 inch or larger screen and you are stilling pretty close and using it for internet..etc. But those kind of screen are not here yet and they will cost you an arm and a leg to buy one.

The reason Apple and Dell has 5K computer screen now is not really targeted at you the normal TV viewer but graphic designers, computer animator and video production people making the main group these screen are made for.

There is a a reason for that. They are producing 4K shows and using a 5K screen resolution. this is because it leave the screen with addition space to hold icons of  editing s/w control and other graphical tools on the sides or around the screen WHILE they are still watching and scrutinizing a true native full size 4K video in production.That is why they need that. And they are sitting up close to the screen to do editing.

If you have good eyesight you can make out the difference at that resolution but they are not worth buying at this time as you pay a premium for them and with little 4K shows and movies to show off to your friends. You also will need to buy a blue ray player with 4K play back.

Just get a 1080p/i HD TV and get a 50" or bigger is more worth while investment. Apart from movies almost all existing stuff you get are all film on 720 or 1080p/i  at best and even older movies and show will be on even lower quality that really sux on a 4K, You think 4K means you see all things at that resolution? I hope not. A movie or tv show has to be filmed and editing in 4K for you to see it in native 4K clarity resolution. Anything less you see interpolating that would mean you see more pixelation or other artifacts on your screen.

I am a gamer and do design work that is why I am using a 30" Dell for the past few years and I use it to watch movies from normal to HD and it is more then enough in my room. I would get the 5K from Dell but it is only 27" at best. Once you go bigger screen and you notice the Image quality up close you will not go back down in screen size so  I will wait for anything larger then 30". But even then remember I am NOT taking about a TV like you. I am talking a computer monitor. Yes there is a big different between a TV and a computer monitor all these time if you did not know it by now. But that's just me and my usage.

Just for you to know if you are not aware already.

Edited by upshot

** Comments are my opinions, same as yours. It's not a 'Be-All-and-End-All' view. Intent's to thought-provoke, validate, reiterate and yes, even correct. Opinion to consider but agree to disagree. I don't enjoy conflicted exchanges, empty bravado or egoistical chest pounding. It's never personal, tribalistic or with malice. Frank by nature, means, I never bend the truth. Views are to broaden understanding - Updated: Nov 2021.

XiaoMi is selling a 49 inch 4K Smart TV (Android base). Comes with sub woofer sound bar as accessory.
For an unbelievable price of SGD 800 !
( Don't confuse with the Xiaomi tv box)

http://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/m/tech-news-xiaomis-49-inch-4k-android-tv-costs-just-s800-itll-take-while-reach-here

You need to ship in yourself and that adds about SGD 400+. Total is SGD 1.2 -1.4 K.

You do a Google for Xiaomi Tv2 . the advertisement will lead you to some of the shippers shipping in from Taobao shops.

• 2 weeks later...

First up, 4K simply means four times more detail than a full HD TV. So the resolution would be very, very clear but then again, only if your source is in 4K format and to date like most users mentioned, no 4K content available at the moment (although the recent World Cup was shot entirely with 4K camera). There is 4K player already made available in US but bear in mind, it's only meant to be sold in the states. If you were to purchase there and use it here, you can't. However, there are blu-ray discs Mastered in 4K in the market now where the quality is much better than normal blu-ray as they remastered the content in 4K quality.

XiaoMi's 4K TV price tag is really attractive but I've never personally seen it (would love to) :)

The real 4K pioneer brands would be LG, Samsung, and Sony. Having to compare all three before, I would go for Sony. I'm not saying LG and Samsung's Ultra HD (aka 4K) TVs aren't good (I personally like their thin bezel and slim design) but I still look at picture/sound quality and technology when it comes to TV cause I don't expect myself to buy one in two years' time. The product life cycle is very important.

Sony's 4K TV comes with two processing chips, one is meant for 4K - where what it does is to upgrade all contents and super fined and upscaled it to make it the next best quality of 4K since all the contents we have now are not in 4K format. LG has an upscale processor in the TV as well but after the content been upscaled from 2K to 4K, the quality pretty much stays the same. Hence, you'll see blurry image.LG's color reproduction isn't as good as Sony's too. Hence, in the scene where it is dark or bright, LG/Samsung TVs lose all the details and you might only see one patch of black spot. Same goes to the colour, you can't see some pattern/details in it.

There is a reason why Sony is being stubborn by not changing the aesthetic beauty of its TV like LG or Samsung (slim). Sony is not compromising the TV sound quality and that is why its TVs are usually slightly thicker (if not, at the bottom of it). Turn the TV louder and you can hear the difference. As if it's from the home theatre systems.

Unlike the days when 4K TV was just launched, the price has been reduced over the past one year. I'm foreseeing the price will even go lower next year as the giant TV brands are coming out with more affordable 4K TVs (and they come in smaller screen size too). 

My review might be biased but I'm advising you to experience all the few brands yourself. Points to note when testing the 4K TV:

- Dark scene

- Bright scene

- Colours (red, blue and green)

- Sound (turn it louder and test it with action movie and probably song Adele's songs)

Good luck!  :thumb:

Edited by vaio

I would not recommend Toshiba 4K TV with the built in Android.

The dark scenes and contrast is terrible when switched to Dynamic mode, the colors is saturated and bleeding and banding can be seen very obviously.

It's the worst TV quality I've seen and used (short period).

• 1 year later...
  • 4 years later...
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.