Male HQ

Questions On Renting Out Home

Guest Landlord

Guest Landlord

I have been pondering for years about renting out my 3 room HDB for some side income.  The problem is - I am clueless about many things.

You see.

I have no aircon and I don't like aircon.  I have fans instead because I am simple person who didn't like to spend too much on my home when I first live in it.

1)  If tenant request that I install aircon, will they pay for the utilities.  How is the utilities shared between the landlord and the tenant?

2)  What are the weakness out renting out a flat?  I find it rather intrusive if I stay inside a room

and the tenant move freely in the living room along with me.  How to cope with such discomfort?

3)  Is agent required, do we need to report to HDB it?

4)  Do you find save to give the key to the tenant, if you worked in day, they may bring outsiders

when you are not around in the day time.

5)  What is the price of renting out a single masterbed room (with toilet) and renting out the whole house? and what is called renting out the whole house mean?  does it mean the landlord cannot stay inside the house in one of the room?

7)   Are there contract to be signed, does the tenant need to pay advance deposit, how is the rent collected and also how to safeguard them spoiling items in the house that don't belong to them?

8)  What kind of nationalities is safe to rent?  I have heard of nightmarish situation of people owing rent and the tenant not willing to shift out but change the lock to prevent others from entering.

9)  Issit advisable to rent out just a single room or the whole house?  Any security reason?

10)  How is the rent calcuated? per person basis or per room basis?

Any old timers here willing to share the pro and con?

u go to sauna and cruise a guy. Before u enter the room - yr mind thinking -

1) his cock big enough? is he top or bottom? I am top. He top also, how?

2) Does he suck? Some ppl don't suck one, how?! what if I suck him for 30 mins, and he refuse to put his mouth into my dick, how? not fair leh?

3) Does he rim? I am a bottom. I need to feel shiok and completely relax before he enter me. Oh.... I think I forgot to wash.... how

4) Does he got aidS? but he is so damn cute! he cute, mostly, he slept with many. Should I or not?!

..... my suggestion to TS.

Don't rent out

I have been pondering for years about renting out my 3 room HDB for some side income.  The problem is - I am clueless about many things.

You see.

I have no aircon and I don't like aircon.  I have fans instead because I am simple person who didn't like to spend too much on my home when I first live in it.

1)  If tenant request that I install aircon, will they pay for the utilities.  How is the utilities shared between the landlord and the tenant?

can show on your bill usually you just control it let say from 8pm to 8am and just charge them minimum 50 per head or if alone 100.

2)  What are the weakness out renting out a flat?  I find it rather intrusive if I stay inside a room

and the tenant move freely in the living room along with me.  How to cope with such discomfort?

the downside is yeah you wont have your privacy anymore, but that's business you have to deal with it, thats why you need to find someone you will comfortable with not cincai :)

Agent can make your life easier but will cost you money, but it's not required.

4)  Do you find save to give the key to the tenant, if you worked in day, they may bring outsiders

That's why you need their pass so if anything bad happen you can report them. you have to give the key of course.

5)  What is the price of renting out a single masterbed room (with toilet) and renting out the whole house? and what is called renting out the whole house mean?  does it mean the landlord cannot stay inside the house in one of the room?

no idea

7)   Are there contract to be signed, does the tenant need to pay advance deposit, how is the rent collected and also how to safeguard them spoiling items in the house that don't belong to them?

you need black and white paper in everything.

8)  What kind of nationalities is safe to rent?  I have heard of nightmarish situation of people owing rent and the tenant not willing to shift out but change the lock to prevent others from entering.

be open to any race just try to analyze them carefully if they can be trusted clean and decent.

9)  Issit advisable to rent out just a single room or the whole house?  Any security reason?

no need security just lock your room and dont put valuables outside. you have their ic copy you can report if anything happened.

Per person if more than 1. if only 1 per room.

my japanese friend used to rent out room before :) i got this from him.

Lesson Learned.... Trust your instinct  :thumb:  ...and p.s. never use 'comic sans' as font its damn gross  :blink:

If u don need the money to survive, dont sacrifice your privacy.

Also, u wont know what weirdos u r getting.

Edited by fab

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

never argue with the guests. let them bark all they want.

结缘不结

不解缘

After I have said what I wanna say, I don't care what you say.

看穿不说穿

Renting out your place is never easy altho' it does provide you with some extra income.

I suggest that you get an agent to help you out. Let him know all your questions and take it from there.

Good luck.

If u r renting out the whole unit shld be much easy than just a rm. If u still stay in the same hse with a rm rent out, problems might arise if u dun like stranger staying the same hse with u. Edited by alien

对自己好是一种幸福,

对别人好是一种积福。

Spend time counting your blessings,

not airing your complaints.

Forget about all the other reasons, just for the above two reasons, you are better off living on your own.

If you cannot overcome this, its better that you don't take in tenants!

You see.

2 ways to go about doing it: either you charge him a fixed amount on top of the rent, or you show him the difference in utilities bill before and after installing the aircon (assuming usage of electricity is relatively constant every month). For me I think the first method is easier, because tenants like to always give the reason/ excuse of "But every month I use the same amount of electricity leh!" or "But I didn't use that much aircon leh!". But you may need to set a timing for the usage of air-con, because if you don't, he might just turn it on 24/7, since it's already included in the rent, so might as well make full use of it.

Agent is just to make the renting process easier, but reporting to the HDB is still required by law I think? HDB just needs to know who is staying in your house, in case something happens.

But they will still need keys in case they comes back or leaves the house while you are not at home? I think you just have to make the house rules clear (including not to bring outsiders in) before they pay the deposit and move in. Also it would also be good if you screen prospective tenants when they come to view your flat, so that you can gauge their credibility

That depends on various factors like location of your flat, the amenities nearby and the facilities you have in the house (wifi? aircon? can cook?)

Of course need to sign contract. Either the agent prepares it, or you prepare it. It's a safeguard paperwork for both you and tenant. Of course the tenant need to pay deposit also, usually equivalent to 1 month's rent, and returned to them when they hand over the keys back to you on the last day of stay, provided everything is in order and not damaged. If there's anything damaged, you can deduct from the deposit.

If you intend to stay in the house in future (after you decided to stop renting), then don't rent out the whole house. Many a times after a tenant move out of a room, you need to do very thorough clean up already. So imagine what happens if you rent out the whole house. But renting out the whole house can fetch higher price, and it is easier to manage utilities bill (unless you rent out room by room), since the whole unit is rented to one person, you just ask him to pay whatever amount stated in the utilities bill.

Depends on how you rent the room out. If it rented to people who come in as related people (friends, couple, siblings, relatives) then calculated as per room. If unrelated (that means you rent one bed to guy A today and one bed to guy B 3 days later) then maybe per person.

Edited by aycee

• Guest locked this topic