Male HQ

Graduate Studies / Master's Or Phd Students

nothandsome

• 4 weeks later...

No one is doing Master in IT?

Most are doing part time?

Did not completed my Master in IT many many years ago.  Yes did it part time, even when I was just working part time as a tutor.

• 1 month later...

I am taking part time Master by research, and bleh.... Miserable life now... feels like full-time PhD by research... (sorry to those PhD)....

Haha. You've got to have an interest in research if you wanna pursue a PhD. Its not that bad. But then again, i am in my 1st year as a PhD student. So the worse is yet to come. Plus, i am under the IPP scheme so i am also exposed to areas outside my research field as well. Although its an exhaustive process, i love the flexibility of managing your own time rather than being confined to a mundane 8-5 job.

Haha. You've got to have an interest in research if you wanna pursue a PhD. Its not that bad. But then again, i am in my 1st year as a PhD student. So the worse is yet to come. Plus, i am under the IPP scheme so i am also exposed to areas outside my research field as well. Although its an exhaustive process, i love the flexibility of managing your own time rather than being confined to a mundane 8-5 job.

Yeah... 1st year is kinda honeymoon period. After that your PI starts to demand more and more and more till endless... haha... It is true that research does not have a fixed 8-5 job, but it can be more than that... haha...  ;)

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On Thursday, January 21, 2016 at 8:58 PM, rhonl said:

Is there anyone doing or has done a criminology doctorate/phd? 

Found any?

Am keen to know more about this actually.

Gonna commence my Masters later this year at RSIS. Am constantly looking out for Criminology related higher degrees.

Guess the only route now would be a PHD under NUS Social Sciences faculty, Sociology Dept. Know a few lecturers who would gladly accept students pursuing Criminology. :)

• 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, soapyguy said:

it's only the 5th week and I'm already feeling tired after whole day of working and attend lessons and discussion at night.

Staying far away from NUS is also another problem, I don't have a car. just traveling took me 1.5hrs already

This is just the beginning of my course haha

Hang in there. This is common for part time learning I guess. Taking Masters?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

how's every1 doing?

2 more weeks to end of lectures and start of exam period.

Time really flies, to think in Jan I was worried of balancing between my work and study.

Any1 can recommend me any level 5 introductory cross faculty module part time with not much projects/assessment to do please?

I took 2 modules this semester which I find both projects are quite intensive. hopefully can find an easier 3rd module so that next sem I can manage 3 modules to graduate earlier.

On 4/4/2016 at 0:43 AM, soapyguy said:

how's every1 doing?

2 more weeks to end of lectures and start of exam period.

Time really flies, to think in Jan I was worried of balancing between my work and study.

Any1 can recommend me any level 5 introductory cross faculty module part time with not much projects/assessment to do please?

I took 2 modules this semester which I find both projects are quite intensive. hopefully can find an easier 3rd module so that next sem I can manage 3 modules to graduate earlier.

Yea time really flies. I found it really challenging to balance between data collection for research and studying for modules. Crunch time to prepare for exams!

• 6 months later...
On ‎1‎/‎19‎/‎2015 at 10:29 PM, bluerunner said:

Some ppl find it tough at the beginning, some find it tough towards the end. Some find the middle part is worst. Whatever is your reason, bear in mind that you need to bite the bullet and press on. Life is gonna get better there after.

Singapore is a "paper oriented" society. With so many degree holders around, having something extra will do you no harm.

However, we must not forget that the Masters or PhD can only give you a better starting point. How you run your race is still up to you.

Just my two cents.

my tough part is at the end... stress now....

On ‎3‎/‎19‎/‎2015 at 10:07 PM, playhard said:

It is okay guys.  When I did my MPhil by research, I faced 4 tough personal chair prof as supervisors.  I thought I was climbing a steep slope mountain that has no peak.  But wala it was over and done with.  And I am still surviving and standing.  So keep pushing yourself to extend your limits.  You are reaching your self-actualisation goal.  Just do it!

thank you for word of comfort