Male HQ

Graduate Studies / Master's Or Phd Students

nothandsome

Erm... a degree would be undergraduate study, not graduate school as dictated by this topic.

But yes, he's brought to light a matter which has a rather heavy weightage. Your graduate study may require a degree of similar field. Kinda hard to jump ship unless your credential justifies your foundation in your area of interest.

e.g. Master/PHD in Counselling requires a degree in Counselling.

Doing a masters in Sports and Exercise Psychology in the UK now, well, it depends on how much you really want to pursue your interest and how much your preferred career needs your further studies. For me, a sport psychologist requires a masters and a 2 years training in the UK itself. Difficult, but if it is your passion, go ahead and pursue it!

Sorry if I am not meant to comment here as I have not even graduated. Nevertheless, it is truly inspiring to see you guys going for graduate studies in your respective fields! :) All the best and Jiayou! :))

36 minutes ago, Erzaminerva said:

Sorry if I am not meant to comment here as I have not even graduated. Nevertheless, it is truly inspiring to see you guys going for graduate studies in your respective fields! :) All the best and Jiayou! :))

Hope these will inspire you to go further with future studies if you find yourself interested in this academic endeavour.

On 11/7/2016 at 11:25 AM, hannibalism said:

good luck for your exams.

am contemplating doing my phd at LKYSPP. any advice?

As far as I know the number of PhD candidates accepted is really small (6 per annum I think), and many of them are quite senior with ample policy analysis experience. But that's perhaps the best place to study public policy. I was stunned at their executive training program, and later I went through their impressive interview process for MPA. Good luck mate.

22 hours ago, Erzaminerva said:

All the best! Don't give up when the going gets tough. Let your drive for knowledge lead you & not assignments/grades.

Dun avoid dissonance. Welcome it with open arms. Cos with it comes enlightenment.

Contemplating now. Afraid all my weekends be gone :/ 

Equally fear my life be drained lol

Well, give and take I guess? If you want to pursue something of your interest or have a better future once you're done with your studies, I suppose you have to give up some stuff as well. You can't be expecting to want to lead a good life and not put in hard work. That's wishful thinking.

If you want it, go for it.

Well, give and take I guess? If you want to pursue something of your interest or have a better future once you're done with your studies, I suppose you have to give up some stuff as well. You can't be expecting to want to lead a good life and not put in hard work. That's wishful thinking.

If you want it, go for it.

Hey thx Melvin. Ya I know that but too many things happening concurrently. Definitely wanna do it, thx for the push :)

• 3 months later...

For those drowning in all the research, analysis and presentations, and feeling that they hardly have any semblance of a life; know that this stage will pass. In the end, it is this "trial by fire" that prepares you to face other challenges in your future career.

Remember that ultimately, education is about the training of the mind: in discipline, in analysis, in organisation, developing and testing hypotheses and defending your ideas. All the best to you!

Слава Україні!

8 hours ago, sgmaven said:

For those drowning in all the research, analysis and presentations, and feeling that they hardly have any semblance of a life; know that this stage will pass. In the end, it is this "trial by fire" that prepares you to face other challenges in your future career.

Remember that ultimately, education is about the training of the mind: in discipline, in analysis, in organisation, developing and testing hypotheses and defending your ideas. All the best to you!

well put haha.  i shall remind myself of this daily for the next year plus... and hope it actually sinks in!

incidentally, any NTU WKW peeps on here?

Btw, did anyone actually start a Line group or know if there is any NTU focused one, esp for Masters?

On 11/12/2016 at 7:07 PM, qqqueer said:

Ooh hi guys. Masters in Chemistry starting next year. They're asking if I wanna be bumped up to PhD but I've not given an answer. 

Where at? If you are doing it locally, then I would ask you what you intend to do after graduation? Do understand that the local universities here don't really hire their own PhDs as lecturers, and industry does not hire that many Chemistry PhDs. If overseas, your university choice is as important as your supervisor's network for a PhD.

Слава Україні!

On 26/03/2017 at 8:12 PM, soapyguy said:

This is my last semester. Now busying with project reports and presentations.

I will definitely miss the fresh young meat , those boys with good bod and tanned skin after NS.

Pity didn't have a taste of them in school :frustrated:

My last semester too. Finally managed to graduate. And seeing young cuties in school made me feel so "old". Sigh 

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/25/2017 at 5:29 PM, sgmaven said:

Kudos! Couldn't have said better. Its all about the writing and writing and writing...

I was to do my Masters and Phd with a reowned Prof overseas 20 years ago but becauuse curreny crisis and lack of finance all my dreams were not achieve.  Now 20 years later,my mates are Senior lecturers wiith a Phd doctorate. I am a nobbody.... So for those who are doing your studies appreciate the chance you have....peace

Edited by Curios49

• 1 year later...
4 hours ago, Zerosum said:

Looking for friends :D None of my friends are doing grad studies...feel as if I'm behind since my income is so much lower.

Hang in there! Your rewards will come in many ways and soon you will surpass all those without your stamina and endurance! And enjoy it while you are at it and grab the opportunity by the balls! 

14 hours ago, Zerosum said:

Looking for friends :D None of my friends are doing grad studies...feel as if I'm behind since my income is so much lower.

Better concentrate on your studies than look for friends.

Your former friends with much higher income are enjoying the money now with moderate effort of their brains, while you do a heavy mental workout.  Concentrate on graduating, and then your income may jump up.  Follow a professional career and you will have friends of a much higher standard than those who left you behind, and your work will be more rewarding than theirs. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/7/2018 at 3:45 PM, randomperson said:

Doing master in engineering in nus. One more year to go. Not really putting much effort. Jpass will do. Realize i never worked hard after senior high school.

uz of burnout la...gotta find time to rest, and find a passion outside of work! ;)

On 6/7/2018 at 2:45 AM, randomperson said:

Doing master in engineering in nus. One more year to go. Not really putting much effort. Jpass will do. Realize i never worked hard after senior high school.

Maybe engineering is not your vocation.  But with one more year to go you are in sight of the finish line.

You can always use the title to become an engineering manager, and then let the truly gifted engineers do the engineering work which they would not give up for managerial work.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/7/2018 at 3:45 PM, randomperson said:

Unless you aim to do ur phd and become a lecturer.. else i can't see there is a need to do master in engineering. To me.. just pass will do, haha.

Just completed my Master in Finance. Choosing it merely due to fulfill my archievement and to challenge myself as i done my degree at an early age. I don't find it beneficial in any case as Msia majority choose experience than your edu level. 

On my way searching for job, i must say its not an easy task here in Msia. 

On 11/20/2016 at 8:45 AM, FunT said:

Check requirements of application.

Might be criteria issues.

In any case, my advice for higher education is to pursue something of your interest.

In the absence of interest, dread reigns.

Learning is more enjoyable if the topic piques your noddle.

Agree with you on choosing somethg that interest you.

Had quite diff time when i did mine as i don't interest or master the particular field at all. But when its done, i have a huge sense of completion and somehow shows working double hard is productive.

• 3 weeks later...

For Engineering or Natural Sciences PhD or Masters with research or patents , are you using Researchgate to share your research or work?

I'm really turned-on if both heads (the head above and the head below) are both functioning well

https://asianguysgonewild.newtumbl.com

https://linktr.ee/riverrobles  

WQPofyr.jpg

15 hours ago, riverrobles said:

For Engineering or Natural Sciences PhD or Masters with research or patents , are you using Researchgate to share your research or work?

When I did my PhD in engineering there was no "Researchgate".

I had a strong interest in a topic, electro-optics, which I proposed to my Adviser, and he agreed.

From there on I scoured the library for books and the Internet for publications,  and I became an expert.

Now 30 years later I forgot most of this expertise, but not the ability to research.

On 6/26/2018 at 11:00 AM, Demz said:

Just completed my Master in Finance. Choosing it merely due to fulfill my archievement and to challenge myself as i done my degree at an early age. I don't find it beneficial in any case as Msia majority choose experience than your edu level. 

On my way searching for job, i must say its not an easy task here in Msia. 

Congrats!! so ur convocation end of this year?

On 4/27/2017 at 7:11 PM, melvinlam90 said:

Ah yes had totally forgot about this thread. Facing all my bloody exams and assignments and thesis to complete, gosh

To everyone else, push on and fight on. Never give up!

Have you finished ur study? all the best to u!

On 7/13/2018 at 12:36 AM, Steve5380 said:

When I did my PhD in engineering there was no "Researchgate".

I had a strong interest in a topic, electro-optics, which I proposed to my Adviser, and he agreed.

From there on I scoured the library for books and the Internet for publications,  and I became an expert.

Now 30 years later I forgot most of this expertise, but not the ability to research.

I do agree, research is a skill needed needed by most students and should be perfected during Uni. It was really a great help when in Uni and when I took my Masters. Nowadays, there are better databases , Google, researchgate, Amazon to buy my own tech literature,  memberships to engineering societies  means free subscription and to be attached to multinational company has perks for research funding and projects.

I'm really turned-on if both heads (the head above and the head below) are both functioning well

https://asianguysgonewild.newtumbl.com

https://linktr.ee/riverrobles  

WQPofyr.jpg

On 7/12/2018 at 9:12 AM, riverrobles said:

Yeap, I use researchgate to share. But nowadays there are many avenues: e.g., facebook, twitter, etc. Most top notch researchers have their own twitter and its becoming a popular means to share research findings.

11 hours ago, xydboy said:

Yeap, I use researchgate to share. But nowadays there are many avenues: e.g., facebook, twitter, etc. Most top notch researchers have their own twitter and its becoming a popular means to share research findings.

wow, really? I feel so outdated!

On 7/25/2018 at 11:00 PM, horny96 said:

wow, really? I feel so outdated!

I do share my publication on my own fb too (not that I had many publications anyway), but I don't have twitter, unlike those prominent researchers. Hope I can be like them in the future as well. In fact this is how science and research should be like in modern era. Long gone are the days where information exists in silos. If we are always speaking of cross-disciplinary or knowledge building, then we ought to share our findings with one another.