Male HQ

Remembering Old Saunas in Singapore

bob24246

I rmb i was still a jc kid back in 2005 and read so much abt towel club online. I told myself to train up my body in 2 to 3 years and then go frequent the place. But it closed even before i ord.

Raiden, 

same here!!! i only started visited saunas after 2010s !!!!!!!!!!!! U cannot believe it!

ALthough i m not YOUNG, i didnt know tat such things existed at all.....& i am quite iT-savvy among my peers

I heard so much about towel club after i joined this forum , i wonder what have i been doing in the past .......really?????

Somewhere near a Chinese temple in city hall area.It's gray door is blended in with the rest of the wall.

It closed down in 2008.
Way before my time.

It looks like just a sauna. What made it so special? Aren't there lots of other saunas in singapore?

each time u step in almost 90% of the guys are real gorgeous but these guys seem to have disappear from the scene.

Guest Raiden Alpha

It looks like just a sauna. What made it so special? Aren't there lots of other saunas in singapore?

Because a lot of crazy people here in this island act as though they have never seen good lookers in life before and when a place got a reputation of being a congregating point for good lookers the general public start to grow fixated on it and the hype get grossly exaggerated and blown up.

This particular sauna sit in the outskirt of the business district itself this naturally mean it is easy to attract PMETs and office workers in.

Actually most people if they bother to put on a form fitting business shirt/tight trouser plus styling up their hair and putting on a nice pair of shoes the entire person will look much sharper and more appealing instantly.It's not because the towel club crowd are drop dead gorgeous they are just well groom and carry themselves well.

People are actually falling in love with the sexual image and appeal of a corporate worker.They don't know it consciously that's all.

Also a decade to seven years ago smartphones and gay apps are not mainstream yet and sauna is a easy place to go to for sexual relieve.

But it is also not a good idea to be to too overly well known and expose in the gay scene by going to public saunas too often.

These people should have learn of this con after dabbling a while in the party circuit.

And many foreign PMETs work here in this transit commerce hub on a contractual basis,people come and go in droves all the time in the globalise age.

Everytime people ask what happen to their aj heydays they are not using their brain to think through all these factors and reasons at all.

Waste of time talking and reply to these lazy and silly people.

Because a lot of crazy people here in this island act as though they have never seen good lookers in life before and when a place got a reputation of being a congregating point for good lookers the general public start to grow fixated on it and the hype get grossly exaggerated and blown up.

This particular sauna sit in the outskirt of the business district itself this naturally mean it is easy to attract PMETs and office workers in.

Actually most people if they bother to put on a form fitting business shirt/tight trouser plus styling up their hair and putting on a nice pair of shoes the entire person will look much sharper and more appealing instantly.It's not because the towel club crowd are drop dead gorgeous they are just well groom and carry themselves well.

People are actually falling in love with the sexual image and appeal of a corporate worker.They don't know it consciously that's all.

Also a decade to seven years ago smartphones and gay apps are not mainstream yet and sauna is a easy place to go to for sexual relieve.

But it is also not a good idea to be to too overly well known and expose in the gay scene by going to public saunas too often.

These people should have learn of this con after dabbling a while in the party circuit.

And many foreign PMETs work here in this transit commerce hub on a contractual basis,people come and go in droves all the time in the globalise age.

Everytime people ask what happen to their aj heydays they are not using their brain to think through all these factors and reasons at all.

Waste of time talking and reply to these lazy and silly people.

hahah! your responses are always so entertaining! thanks for your comprehensive answer. Makes sense that this would be true in a city like singapore which has a constant flux of people. In the states, I think saunas have becomes virutally extinct.

Interesting list posted by the Guest above. The only sauna I visited was Rairua abt 10 years ago. Not so convenient to get to n spread over 4 quite small floors. But always spotlessly clean n I think one of the first to have no towel areas. Nice guys, too!

Edited by wozzit

I visited Towel Club four times between 2006 and 2007, at their full moon parties.  

I don't remember seeing people in business clothes, since none had clothes on.

I remember the first time I could not find the entrance.

I waited on the street until a guy came in, and this showed me the tricky door.

I was impressed by the nice decor of the place, attractive and clean.

The cruising area had narrow corridors covered with mirrors and nude bodies

lined up side-by-side,  leaving narrow space for the procession of other nude bodies 

passing by in endless procession.  Lights were dim and temperature was high.

I remember it so well because I had some of my best sauna experiences there,

and I was not a newcomer to places like that. Gays were just gorgeous with few 

exceptions,  and they were not posing as passive statues. 

Absolute came close to Towel Club in its best days, but not quite as good.

Guest Raiden Alpha

You can't compare Singapore with other countries as land is scarce here and only a handful of people own and dictate things in this country.

As long as supporting the policy makers in bringing in a robust base of commerce activities and labour flow their future and personal interests is well secured and they can afford to pick and choose the highest bidders.

This is not a fair trade place.

each time u step in almost 90% of the guys are real gorgeous but these guys seem to have disappear from the scene.

yes a lot of these guys have disappeared from local sauna scene. but i still see some of them on facebook through some of their group gathering photos. perhaps they organise their own private parties nowadays? anyone who have joined such parties care to share your experience?

i used to work part time there. 

since where u work there?  i also work there before its close down >.< for 1 yr plus.  

then them become a new spa at chinatown. >.<  abs spa if any know the full spelling. 

of cos the management of cos the management sell off it to other ppl before now sell to Ten men >.< 

Interesting list posted by the Guest above. The only sauna I visited was Rairua abt 10 years ago. Not so convenient to get to n spread over 4 quite small floors. But always spotlessly clean n I think one of the first to have no towel areas. Nice guys, too!

My my, when i saw this thread, i wad like how come no one lamented the passing of rairua. It was by far the most pleasant sauna in sg, then n now. Spotlessly clean as wozzit mentioned. Not over crowded.

But i guess thats the reason for y its not able to sustain. Ppl do not flock there. The crowd was slow and not in the likes of one seven or blueheaven (towel club not opened yet.....)

And i usually go there with my then-bf since both our places ain't entirely convenient. Haha

• Guest locked this topic
  • 1 year later...

I sort of like that old gym at Toa Payoh SAFRA ..that 2 levels gym with a running track and oh no, that STEAM ROOM and playing footsie in that Jacuzzi.. changing room was also larger and had a sofa to rest...and not forgetting that tiny hole in the floor swimming pool where tanning in skimpy trunks on weekdays was the "trend" of the time... 

i will choose Rairua as well. Alex, the owner, managed to create a relax ambiance, that's lacking in many places now.

It also help that he was very anal, pun intended, on cleanness  

:thumb: When I Think It, I Do It, I Win It! :thumb:

On 6/1/2017 at 2:36 PM, Guest Those Years said:

If you could revive one of those 'ex-saunas' that no longer in business, which will be the one, and why?

Rairua:  I was never there, but heard very good things about it

Towel Club: I had there some of my best sauna times, especially in their "full moon" events.

Absolute: took over from one-seven as the best sauna when it opened, and remained like that for many years.

Guest sauna memories

1) Stroke - The first ever gay sauna in SG for creating history.  Owner Max Lim had the foresight and guts to do it, even if it was motivated by money and he joined in the fun sometimes (yucks!).  Tons of good memories there with cuties.  As it was the only sauna at that time, all the best horny guys in SG would be gathered in one venue.

2) Rairua - Overall good ambience, good clientele and lots of space to roam around.

3) Blue Heaven - Friendly Caucasian owner (what's his name?) and his cute bf plus other cute staff.  Still recall those nights with the shower boys, who would help you shower and scrub at no extra charges (they wore swim trunks while customers were nude)  Well patronised by lots of students and NSF due to low charges.

4) One Seven - Lots of hot action with hot guys in their prime (at that time).  It was the place to report to every weekend evenings for an all night session.

Guest Diamond

Having heard a lot about Rairua, I wish I had experienced it.

The one sauna I did experience and that is no longer is Diamond. I have heard good and bad things about it. I missed the wide open space, I miss how it was more like a place to meet on the weekends rather than a place where people went hunting for meat - lunch and dinner would be served and people would gather in the lounge to chat and make new friends. There was a small room for Karaoke although it was usually hogged by this one guy - his voice was not too bad but boy, he definitely spent hours singing! hahaha. There was this room to the side of the establishment that was kinda strange to get to - you walked through this corridor where sometimes on one of the walls there was birdshit (yuk!) and you get to this couple of rooms that were not too hot and not too cold - comfortably warm. But yes I think more than the facilities, I liked the people I met there, the staff and patrons were friendly and welcoming.

Guest list

list of Gay saunas which had since closed

1. Spartacus (Closed, moved and renamed to Stroke)(since 2000)
2. Stroke (Closed, moved and renamed to RAW)(since 2003)
3. V-Club (Closed, moved and renamed to Sphere)(since 2004)
4. Sphere (since 2006)
5. Rairua (since 2006)
6. Papilion (since 2005)
7. The Box (Changed to new owner, moved and renamed to Shogun)(since 2003)
8. Towel Club @ Sg (Only Towel Club HK still in operation)(since 2008)
9. RAW (Closed, moved and renamed to The Heater Room and now Queen Resort) (since 2008)
10. Diamond (Diamond changed owner and renamed to New Diamond, moved and renamed to Hercules Club)(since 2009)
11. Y Club (since 2010)
12. New Blue Heaven (since 2010)

13. Queens Resort (same boss with now defunct Heater Room, Raw, Stroke & Spartacus) (Closed since May 2014)

14. Absolute (Discussion link), (Discussion link 2), (Discussion link 3(Closed since 1st July 2014)

15. Club One Seven (Disucssion Link) (Closed since Jan 2014)
16. Keybox (Discussion Link(Closed since 22 June 2014) and (reopen 10 Feb 2015 at Former Club One Seven location)

Saunas not my scene but if I have to bring something back I would like Fort Road back in the golden days. heh one big sauna in the day and sensual night in the dark :P

** Comments are my opinions, same as yours. It's not a 'Be-All-and-End-All' view. Intent's to thought-provoke, validate, reiterate and yes, even correct. Opinion to consider but agree to disagree. I don't enjoy conflicted exchanges, empty bravado or egoistical chest pounding. It's never personal, tribalistic or with malice. Frank by nature, means, I never bend the truth. Views are to broaden understanding - Updated: Nov 2021.

9 minutes ago, upshot said:

Saunas not my scene but if I have to bring something back I would like Fort Road back in the golden days. heh one big sauna in the day and sensual night in the dark :P

Ooooooo loved FR. Used to suntan there nude, among other things ... and I always like a bit of wilderness and greenery.

• G_M changed the title to Remembering Old Saunas in Singapore
  • Guest locked this topic
  • G_M unlocked this topic
  • Bern featured this topic
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.