Male HQ

Hepatitis B Booster Or Retake A Full Course Again?

Guest Bj

Need help with this question, any health experts could answer my question will be thank you very much.

My last booster already more than 7 years so should I now just take a booster or retake a full course of vaccinations?

Note: Few years after I completed of my the full course then I have two more times booster in overseas but they told my immunity leves very low and its hard to build up.

Been searched on Internet but no luck to found the right answer. Hope someone here be able to give an answer. Thank you .

I work in a clinic. Recommend that you go for a Hep B screening to detect your Antigen and Antibody levels first. Once the results are out, about 1 working day's time, you can decide if need a booster or not.

Just go to any clinic and request them u wanna do antihpB which is hep B antibody test. The test cost around 20 dollars ??? If the the level is low , get one injection of vaccine . thats pretty much it. No need to go the whole full course again.

I am a hepB carrier for approx 25years now.

After taking retro-viral medication for 12 years  now, my hepB virus reading is low.

Could it be the retro-viral medication ?

Need help with this question, any health experts could answer my question will be thank you very much.

My last booster already more than 7 years so should I now just take a booster or retake a full course of vaccinations?

Note: Few years after I completed of my the full course then I have two more times booster in overseas but they told my immunity leves very low and its hard to build up.

Been searched on Internet but no luck to found the right answer. Hope someone here be able to give an answer. Thank you .

I did some of the research on the hepatitis B vaccine 25+ years ago. once you have a titer of 10, even if your titer dips below 10, you are fully protected. This is published data from merck, the company that originated the vaccine. This is called "immune memory"  It is a common misperception that people need boosters for this vaccine, it is certainly NOT the case.  Same holds true for hepatitis A vaccine (which everyone in the gay and bisexual community should also receive)

What we discovered is that even in people who at ONE time achieved titers of 10, once their titer was below 10, there was no infection rate in these individuals.  In fact, in people who achieve titers of 2.1-9.9 with the first dose series, even though they are technically not protected, they in fact are. If and when they get exposed to the wild virus, they have detectable antigen and antibody levels but they are not symptomatic, nor do they become symptomatic and eventually they clear the virus and are not chronic carriers. It is only the people who don't get a titer of >2.1 after the initial 3 injections that are at risk and need additional doses, generally another course of 3 doses of standard dose vaccine. If they don't respond to this, they then need a 3 dose course of the HIGH DOSE vaccine (all of this is published data).

GG

Guest Tayrius

I think if you have problems building up immunity and have low titers after booster, you might want to consider doing the full course again?

I did some of the research on the hepatitis B vaccine 25+ years ago. once you have a titer of 10, even if your titer dips below 10, you are fully protected. This is published data from merck, the company that originated the vaccine. This is called "immune memory"  It is a common misperception that people need boosters for this vaccine, it is certainly NOT the case.  Same holds true for hepatitis A vaccine (which everyone in the gay and bisexual community should also receive)

What we discovered is that even in people who at ONE time achieved titers of 10, once their titer was below 10, there was no infection rate in these individuals.  In fact, in people who achieve titers of 2.1-9.9 with the first dose series, even though they are technically not protected, they in fact are. If and when they get exposed to the wild virus, they have detectable antigen and antibody levels but they are not symptomatic, nor do they become symptomatic and eventually they clear the virus and are not chronic carriers. It is only the people who don't get a titer of >2.1 after the initial 3 injections that are at risk and need additional doses, generally another course of 3 doses of standard dose vaccine. If they don't respond to this, they then need a 3 dose course of the HIGH DOSE vaccine (all of this is published data).

GG

Thanks genevaguy.

What you mentioned is consisent to what my superficial research for this information online. However, I'm still confused. I have been tested "Non Reactive" for Hep B antibody during annual medical screening since 2011. In 2010, my medical report says "Reactive 16" for HepB antibody. Since 2011, the doctors have been recommending taking the full dose of 3 shots all over again, not even the booster. When I mentioned the "immune memory", they consistently respond by "do you want to take the chance?". They say that the "immune memory" theory is not conclusive.

I have not taken the shots but it has been nagging me for a while now.

Thanks genevaguy.

What you mentioned is consisent to what my superficial research for this information online. However, I'm still confused. I have been tested "Non Reactive" for Hep B antibody during annual medical screening since 2011. In 2010, my medical report says "Reactive 16" for HepB antibody. Since 2011, the doctors have been recommending taking the full dose of 3 shots all over again, not even the booster. When I mentioned the "immune memory", they consistently respond by "do you want to take the chance?". They say that the "immune memory" theory is not conclusive.

I have not taken the shots but it has been nagging me for a while now.

Sorry your docs don't know the data. If you EVER had a titer of 10 or greater for HbsAB (hepatitis B antibody) then you are protected for life. I was fortunate to work with one of the very knowledgable Hep B vaccine researchers at one of the companies that developed the vaccine (first the human serum based vaccine then the recombinant vaccine which is the one used exclusively for the last 25 years)....and he "schooled' me well.   I'm US based but have a lot of experience in the SG health care system..and I know that the docs in SG tend to be very "conservative"..so doesn't surprise me that they said that to you.  The 3 additional doses of the vaccine won't hurt you and they aren't pricey, but they are unecessary.  Please don't search the internet to find this information, you need to search the Medical Literature (Medline). Here is a very useful link from the US CDC..unless you fall into one of the "special" categories under revaccination...you do not need to be revaccinated (Being gay or bi alone is NOT a special category)

http://www.cdc.gov/hepatitis/HBV/HBVfaq.htm

Happy to answer other questions

GG

• 1 year later...

https://www.moh.gov.sg/content/moh_web/home/costs_and_financing/schemes_subsidies/medisave/Withdrawal_Limits/Summary_of_Medisave_Withdrawal_Limits.html

Hep B is a Medisave Approved Vaccination (still your own money though).

Blood test to check whether you are already a carrier first, if not, then,

3 doses, month 0,1,6

https://www.singhealth.com.sg/PatientCare/ConditionsAndTreatments/Pages/Hepatitis-B.aspx

Recent increase of Hep B cases because most people are carriers that doesn't show symptoms till later age.

Different Phases of Chronic Hepatitis B

A chronic hepatitis B carrier goes through 3 phases, especially if the infection is acquired at birth. This is the usual scenario amongst carriers in Singapore:

High viral replicative ( immune-tolerant ) phase which is usually seen in patients less than 20 year old. There is rapid viral replication but the patient is well and has no symptoms. Blood tests and liver samples indicate minimal liver inflammation.

Low viral replicative (immune-elimination ) phase which occurs in patients between 20 to 40 years old. In this phase, the body's immune system attempts to rid itself of the hepatitis B virus, and this is reflected by abnormal blood tests that indicates active liver inflammation. The carrier may complain of lethargy. Occasionally, if this phase occurs in older patients, especially if more than 60 years, the clinical course is more serious and can cause severe liver dysfunction and death.

Non-replicative ( latent infection ) phase occurs in carriers above the age of 40 years. This phase is characterised by the continuous presence of the hepatitis B virus with a low replicative rate. There may be however, evidence of liver damage which later progresses on to liver cancer. The patient in this last phase may present for the first time with swelling of legs and abdomen, progressive mental deterioration and vomiting or passing out of blood in the stools.

genevaguy is right. Once you've EVER had an anti-HBs titre above 10, you are considered immune to the hepatitis B virus.

After some time, this titre may fall below 10, but it does not make you any less immune

• 1 year later...
  • Guest locked this topic