Male HQ

Alone During Chinese New Year Holiday? Where To Go? What To Do? (Compiled)

Guest Guest

25 minutes ago, Balestier said:

Go sentosa and mingle w the foreign talents. Maybe can go beach tan

As it will be a very long weekend, I assume most expats (foreign talents) will go for overseas vacations.

Some companies may close shop on 9 Feb only re-start work only on 14 Feb...

Travel out on 8 Feb , return on 13 Feb... ... can visit 2 countries also if keen... hehe

Surely, the younger expats will make use of the long weekend and explore the surrounding countries inclusive of the "local food display".

Others, like South Asians or from nearby countries might return to their home countries to visit their parents also...

Sentosa might not have so many expats present... during these days.

Edited by singalion

2 minutes ago, singalion said:

As it will be a very long weekend, I assume most expats (foreign talents) will go for overseas vacations.

Some companies may close shop on 9 Feb only re-start work only on 14 Feb...

Travel out on 8 Feb , return on 13 Feb... ... can visit 2 countries also if keen... hehe

Surely, the younger expats will make use of the long weekend and explore the surrounding countries.

Others, like South Asians or from nearby countries might return to their home countries to visit their parents also...

Sentosa might not have so many expats present... during these days.

The workers lar. My colleagues bought tickets to Penang, Bangkok, Phuket already 

Just now, Balestier said:

The workers lar. My colleagues bought tickets to Penang, Bangkok, Phuket already 

But that are not foreign talents...

27 minutes ago, Balestier said:

foreign talents

unless you were talking about a specific "talent". ... 🤣

2 minutes ago, Balestier said:

I heard from a local tourist agent, plenty of younger Singaporeans are also travelling overseas the last years as they intend to be more independent from these family gatherings...

But don't have any data on hand.

CNY is not really a big deal if you are staying alone. If you are staying with family members, then you get to experience the CNY gathering mood.  In fact, a recent survey conducted in Singapore revealed that over 80% of respondents didn't mind being single and over 70% didn't mind not having children. People these days actually prefer to enjoy a simple Chinese New Year. Therefore, heterosexual people are catching up in this area and gay people are no longer the only ones who experience loneliness.  I don't think it is really of a big deal because each passing year people are buying less and less for the season due to high cost of living.  Within a blink of an eye, it is just another day and then everyone is back to their routine once more. 

Edited by Sweetie Pie

20 minutes ago, Sweetie Pie said:

CNY is not really a big deal if you are staying alone. If you are staying with family members, then you get to experience the CNY gathering mood.  In fact, a recent survey conducted in Singapore revealed that over 80% of respondents didn't mind being single and over 70% didn't mind not having children. People these days actually prefer to enjoy a simple Chinese New Year. Therefore, heterosexual people are catching up in this area and gay people are no longer the only ones who experience loneliness.  I don't think it is really of a big deal because each passing year people are buying less and less for the season due to high cost of living.  Within a blink of an eye, it is just another day and then everyone is back to their routine once more. 

Indeed very sad. It's a period of friends/family gathering. U can don't give angpow if choose not to.

55 minutes ago, Sweetie Pie said:

However, visiting the local supermarkets the weeks before CNY, I am not sure I would agree to your statements.

Yesterday Fairprice was already packed with long queues at the cashiers... and obviously people buying items in advance for CNY.

The younger generation families, meaning younger couples (median age in Singapore 32y) prefer going on a holiday or overseas instead of staying here and do the family visiting duties...

That doesn't correspond also with the claim of high cost of living.

Let's not forget that for many and surely the much bigger portion of Singapore's society salaries have increased a lot in the past 10 years.

Quote:

Salary increases in Singapore are expected to surpass pre-pandemic levels with increments to average 3.75% in 2023, compared to 3.65% in 2022 and 3.60% in 2019. Employees in Singapore are anticipated to receive a salary increase of 4% in nominal terms in 2024.

Statistics relate 6 - 8% of Singaporeans as being considered living in poverty. Compared to other countries this is a quite low figure. Eastern European countries (for more comparing with more developed countries) have poverty rates of 16 - 20 % of the population, Laos, Philippines, Cambodia it ranks at 18%, only with Myanmar reaching levels above 25% for the neighbouring countries.

There are poorer segments in Singapore society but painting a picture that lower income to middle class Singaporeans are poor seems outdated to me.

Edited by singalion

15 minutes ago, singalion said:

However, visiting the local supermarkets the weeks before CNY, I am not sure I would agree to your statements.

Yesterday Fairprice was already packed with long queues at the cashiers... and obviously people buying items in advance for CNY.

The younger generation families, meaning younger couples (median age in Singapore 32y) prefer going on a holiday or overseas instead of staying here and do the family visiting duties...

That doesn't correspond also with the claim of high cost of living.

Let's not forget that for many and surely the much bigger portion of Singapore's society salaries have increased a lot in the past 10 years.

Quote:

Salary increases in Singapore are expected to surpass pre-pandemic levels with increments to average 3.75% in 2023, compared to 3.65% in 2022 and 3.60% in 2019. Employees in Singapore are anticipated to receive a salary increase of 4% in nominal terms in 2024.

Statistics relate 6 - 8% of Singaporeans as being considered living in poverty. Compared to other countries this is a quite low figure. Eastern European countries (for more comparing with more developed countries) have poverty rates of 16 - 20 % of the population, Laos, Philippines, Cambodia it ranks at 18%, only with Myanmar reaching levels above 25% for the neighbouring countries.

There are poorer segments in Singapore society but painting a picture that lower income to middle class Singaporeans are poor seems outdated to me.

Ya can go out dinner w frds/families, overseas trips, own a car

Guest Guest

CNY to me is just another normal public holidays which passes in a blink and back to work again on Tue. Since i am staying alone, i am more concerned about where to eat during the CNY holidays, as i do not want to eat fast food for all my meals, and i am not sure any coffeeshop/foodcourt is open selling chinese foods.

1 hour ago, Sweetie Pie said:

You should be concerned about the price and not the lack of food on CNY holidays.

But hawker stall confirmed will increase price. One stall increase other also follow. Kiasu. Even Indian mamak stall they also follow the trend with things like min 2 prata etc.

I usually just eat fast food cause they can't and won't increase price during cny and merge lunch and dinner as one at 4 pm. With instant noddles option for late night supper. 

Don't agree with the practise of increasing price during CNY so I won't support them. It's better for stalls to just close down and take holiday. 

This year shouldn't be too bad. It's literally just 2 days weekend. Then can go back office etc. Office canteen can't increase price haha. 

10 minutes ago, Anon_cock said:

But hawker stall confirmed will increase price. One stall increase other also follow. Kiasu. Even Indian mamak stall they also follow the trend with things like min 2 prata etc.

I usually just eat fast food cause they can't and won't increase price during cny and merge lunch and dinner as one at 4 pm. With instant noddles option for late night supper. 

Don't agree with the practise of increasing price during CNY so I won't support them. It's better for stalls to just close down and take holiday. 

This year shouldn't be too bad. It's literally just 2 days weekend. Then can go back office etc. Office canteen can't increase price haha. 

Ya cook or go to fast food. Usual price increase starts from eve for 1-2 weeks.

Edited by Balestier

16 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

CNY to me is just another normal public holidays which passes in a blink and back to work again on Tue. Since i am staying alone, i am more concerned about where to eat during the CNY holidays, as i do not want to eat fast food for all my meals, and i am not sure any coffeeshop/foodcourt is open selling chinese foods.

Here's a list of restaurants in S'pore open during Chinese New Year 2024

https://mothership.sg/2024/01/restaurants-open-cny/

Lunar New Year 2024 Business Hours

https://www.kopitiam.biz/promotions/lunar-new-year-2024-business-hours/

Certain Kopitiams are open on first and second day. While not all stalls will be open, you still won't starve to death.

The alternative is always to simply cook at home.

I will switch on to the CNY tunes on the internet and enjoy cooking some healthy meals during these days.

I prefer the Malaysian version. (ha ha)

Stock up your fridge the days before CNY.

Many supermarkets are open until very late. Go at the super late hours and you have the Fairprice / Cold Storage for yourself or go during the late hours.

https://www.fairprice.com.sg/events/in-store/cny-hours/

And also can go shopping on the CNY days.

While most Fairprice outlets are closed on 9 Feb and 10 Feb at 5pm , there is still sufficient time to do groceries on both days.

You have also the chance to invite someone over who will be alone during the holidays... never know how it will end. haha

Guest Guest
On 1/31/2024 at 10:23 AM, Sweetie Pie said:

You should be concerned about the price and not the lack of food on CNY holidays.

I am not really concerned about the price since it is once a year only that food price would be more ex during the CNY period. If i can find non fast-food foods to eat from CNY eve to CNY 3rd day, i am happy.

Guest Guest
On 1/31/2024 at 12:16 PM, Anon_cock said:

Think i go to airport or places of interest, eatery there should open throughout the CNY. Shopping malls, many eateries will be closed for the 1st and 2nd day of CNY if i am not wrong.

I have celebrated CNY alone for many years since I lived overseas. I've learned to create my traditions with friends and just make it festive. 

One of the things I have learned to do is to make pineapple tarts. I found a recipe on Youtube a few years ago and started baking them every CNY and sharing them with friends and neighbours. I even went hunting for a pineapple-shaped mold so that the tarts have a pineapple shape. 

I think it is fun to engage in a CNY-related activity to keep the spirit of the event meaningful, especially when you are alone. 

Love. 

For that 2 days that Ill be alone after family time

..would have stock up food to reduce going out and see sad empty streets

..gym, swim

..watch last episodes of The Crown, which I have saved for quiet days

..watch some local HK, Msia festive programmes

..if there is still time, then arrange to meet up fwb

Nope, Im not going to feel sad!

Edited by auscent

Guest Guest
1 hour ago, auscent said:

..gym, swim

..watch last episodes of The Crown, which I have saved for quiet days

..watch some local HK, Msia festive programmes

No need to feel sad, it's just another normal 2 days PH and very fast it will be over and back to work.

On 2/3/2024 at 10:01 AM, auscent said:

..gym, swim

Sad sia, these are just daily for most gays

see sad streets n not feeling sad but find them sad?? it felt peaceful to see the streets  that way

and see sad empty streets

There are people who actually enjoy the emptier streets during these days. haha

The only downside is that certain other areas are more crowded, like beaches, West Coast Park etc...

On 2/4/2024 at 3:36 PM, QinWei said:

Sad sia, these are just daily for most gays

see sad streets n not feeling sad but find them sad?? it felt peaceful to see the streets  that way

Whats so sad? Being able to exercise, time and physical ability wise, is a luxury. Looking after self isnt sad. Getting laid means you still have a market. Not everyone needs to be surrounded by exotic overseas hols, noisy crowds to feel good.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.