Male HQ

Discussion About Single & Hdb Flat Ownership + Hdb Loan (Compiled)

worldangel

Guest guest
3 hours ago, lonelyglobe said:

Just MOP also got ghost and more terrible is called "吸血鬼".

2.room buy at 160k selling at 320k and 3 room buy 300k can sell 500k.

Too bad single cannot buy new BTO 3 room. Those 2 room that sell at 320k, i wonder who will buy. For 3 room at 500k, at least the size is bigger and worth than a 2 rm.

Reading some of the post, for those wondering if they should use CPF for installment or to empty out your CPF for your HDB, you need to consider your retirement plans. What age you want to stop working, how much do you wish to have to do that. A few points to note based on what some have mentioned:

• Money in CPF still earn interest at different amount (depending on OA/SA etc) minimally 2.5% per year up to 5%/6%
  • If you use CPF to pay for your HDB, you are effectively using the capital gains (if any) of your HDB to pay back the missing CPF interest.
  • If you think you can earn more interest than CPF, then by all means go ahead and empty out your CPF.
  • The question of what happen to your HDB at the end of it's lease is still a big question mark (and the govt seems to be leaning towards it getting to $0 value), so if you are banking on selling your HDB to finance your retirement (and praying it goes up in value), better be prepared if you have bought an old HDB.

Guest guest
32 minutes ago, kratos said:

Reading some of the post, for those wondering if they should use CPF for installment or to empty out your CPF for your HDB, you need to consider your retirement plans. What age you want to stop working, how much do you wish to have to do that. A few points to note based on what some have mentioned:

• Money in CPF still earn interest at different amount (depending on OA/SA etc) minimally 2.5% per year up to 5%/6%
  • If you use CPF to pay for your HDB, you are effectively using the capital gains (if any) of your HDB to pay back the missing CPF interest.
  • If you think you can earn more interest than CPF, then by all means go ahead and empty out your CPF.
  • The question of what happen to your HDB at the end of it's lease is still a big question mark (and the govt seems to be leaning towards it getting to $0 value), so if you are banking on selling your HDB to finance your retirement (and praying it goes up in value), better be prepared if you have bought an old HDB.

If the price of the house bought is high and loan is also high, cannot be avoided not to empty your cpf and using cpf to pay for your HDB. Cause don't think you can use only cash to pay for the installment which might be quite a big amount.

Looks like best is to buy a new 2 rm BTO, so that house price is low and the loan tenture would be more manageable and can full pay in shorter years, or some people can even full pay the house and free from house debt. 

Guest Guest

Prices are at historical high. Be very careful with your decision.

For resale HDB, I feel that if you are :

1. Under 49 and earn around $36-48k/year. Do not buy now because if there are any global shock, you may not have enough cash/cpf buffer to withstand it and are force to sell at a loss. But get ready to act if the shock bring down the prices drastically.

2.Under 49 and earn above $60k/year. Go ahead and buy your choice unit as you have likely build up a much bigger buffer to tide you over any crisis. Time is on your side with many working years ahead.

Buying a resale HDB requires lots of funds, time and energy. Way over 50s potential buyer will find the process very tough and discouraging. Many gave up midway. 

Once you have collected your keys and with renovation and furnishing done comes the associated ownership cost. They are Town Council charges, Mortgage Ins, Fire Ins, Household Content Ins, Water/Electricity/Gas bill, A/C preventive maintenance, SingTel fix line, Internet/Cable TV/ Disney+, Netflix, general wear and tear. (List not exhaustive and some are optional)

In the meantime, monitor your monthly financial position and ask if the cheaper 2 Room Flexi BTO is indeed more suitable for you.

4 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

1. Under 49 and earn around $36-48k/year. Do not buy now because if there are any global shock, you may not have enough cash/cpf buffer to withstand it and are force to sell at a loss. But get ready to act if the shock bring down the prices drastically.

2.Under 49 and earn above $60k/year. Go ahead and buy your choice unit as you have likely build up a much bigger buffer to tide you over any crisis. Time is on your side with many working years ahead.

Buying a resale HDB requires lots of funds, time and energy. Way over 50s potential buyer will find the process very tough and discouraging. Many gave up midway. 

Once you have collected your keys and with renovation and furnishing done comes the associated ownership cost. They are Town Council charges, Mortgage Ins, Fire Ins, Household Content Ins, Water/Electricity/Gas bill, A/C preventive maintenance, SingTel fix line, Internet/Cable TV/ Disney+, Netflix, general wear and tear. (List not exhaustive and some are optional)

In the meantime, monitor your monthly financial position and ask if the cheaper 2 Room Flexi BTO is indeed more suitable for you.

Yes,  waiting for resale price to go back to pre-covid days,  price shoot up during covid due to BTO delay but now with BTO building like lao sai like that and if accompany with a recession, price will plunge. 

Actually nowadays the process is a lot more easier especially if u engage a agent,  there is no more going to HDB for 2 appointments,  in fact u can complete the selling process (guess is the same with buying) without even going to HDB office. Everything can be done online and the law firm and agent can represent u on the actual handover.

HDB will also provide u with step by step guide on what u need to do. But yes, a lot of things to do,  just need to go old-fashioned style, put up a list of things to be done and cancel off once completed so u won't miss anything 😅

Hi, for gay singles nearing age 55, they are given the option of purchasing 2 room flexi BTO flat in non-matured estates with shorter lease (eg: 40, 45...) instead of the usual 99 years? Would you all consider taking up this shorter lease offer (with much cheaper purchase price and you may not even need to take up any housing loan ie you may even pay the flat in full with your CPF / Cash)? Or would you only consider purchasing the 99-year lease one? What are the (possible) pros and cons of each? Thanks for the insights. 

Guest guest
9 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

Your illustration here refers to those people who are buying their first flat?

If the person currently owns a HDB and wanted to sell current flat and buy another HDB, what is your advise?

Guest guest
4 hours ago, lonelyglobe said:

Yes,  waiting for resale price to go back to pre-covid days,  price shoot up during covid due to BTO delay but now with BTO building like lao sai like that and if accompany with a recession, price will plunge. 

Actually nowadays the process is a lot more easier especially if u engage a agent,  there is no more going to HDB for 2 appointments,  in fact u can complete the selling process (guess is the same with buying) without even going to HDB office. Everything can be done online and the law firm and agent can represent u on the actual handover.

HDB will also provide u with step by step guide on what u need to do. But yes, a lot of things to do,  just need to go old-fashioned style, put up a list of things to be done and cancel off once completed so u won't miss anything 😅

Current resale price really quite expensive for all location and for all age of HDB. Now it is good time to sell buy not to buy.

Currently i am staying in a 3 rm HDB, wanted to sell and buy another location. But i do not know if i should buy an old HDB with a location i like and more convenience, or buy a newer HDB but location is far?

9 minutes ago, Guest guest said:

Current resale price really quite expensive for all location and for all age of HDB. Now it is good time to sell buy not to buy.

Currently i am staying in a 3 rm HDB, wanted to sell and buy another location. But i do not know if i should buy an old HDB with a location i like and more convenience, or buy a newer HDB but location is far?

Yes,  good time to sell but not buy. After 32 months of increase,  the price finally stabilize but not drop yet. The next few months will be a good indicator for HDB resale price. 

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/housing/hdb-resale-prices-in-february-hold-steady-for-first-time-in-32-months-number-of-flats-sold-falls#

Guest guest
34 minutes ago, lonelyglobe said:

Yes,  good time to sell but not buy. After 32 months of increase,  the price finally stabilize but not drop yet. The next few months will be a good indicator for HDB resale price. 

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/housing/hdb-resale-prices-in-february-hold-steady-for-first-time-in-32-months-number-of-flats-sold-falls#

Resale price stabilize means price maintain on expensive level?

Guest guest
On 3/13/2023 at 9:46 PM, lonelyglobe said:

Yes,  so must wait for it to drop. 

Must wait until when?

So if buying price drop, it means when sell, the price also drop.

Guest guest
15 minutes ago, thickhead79 said:

wan to buy just buy 

u nvn know u going to wake up tmr or not 

life is short 

Agreed. No wonder some people also say, just enjoy what you like and want to do, don't think so much. Cause you never know if you are alive in the next min.

Guest guest
11 minutes ago, lonelyglobe said:

No one can answer your question but hopefully end of this year we can see price start dropping. 

I think if new BTO no more delay, the resale price should drop.

Guest Guest

With new family formation, new citizen and single desire to stay independently, demand will always exceed supply so do you expect prices to drop with the BTO system in place?

Whatever your decision, do not over-stretch your resources.  

Guest guest
On 3/13/2023 at 4:15 PM, lonelyglobe said:

If now no more going to HDB for 2 appointments or even can complete the process without going to HDB office, then what is the use of engaging property agent?

3 hours ago, Guest guest said:

If now no more going to HDB for 2 appointments or even can complete the process without going to HDB office, then what is the use of engaging property agent?

They represent u,  if not u still have to go yourself. If u think u can find a flat, buy or sell a flat by yourself then go ahead and do your own, save on commission. 

Edited by lonelyglobe

Guest Guest

You can't pass up a chance to own real estate. It's been a lifesaver for me. You get a bunch of saps to pay your mortgage for you every month, while your equity just rises higher and higher, while those poor suckers............. What I meant was: It's a great opportunity to make new friends.-BD of GG.

Guest 37yo AJ

Hello all the AJs,

I just submitted my HLE on 16th march night. Its been 10 days, should i call them and chase them? Will they reply after 2 weeks? 

I am self employed sole proprietorship, so a bit complicated. Anyone who is self employed can share ur experience regards to HLE with me?

1 hour ago, Guest 37yo AJ said:

Hello all the AJs,

I just submitted my HLE on 16th march night. Its been 10 days, should i call them and chase them? Will they reply after 2 weeks? 

I am self employed sole proprietorship, so a bit complicated. Anyone who is self employed can share ur experience regards to HLE with me?

https://www.hdb.gov.sg/residential/buying-a-flat/financing-a-flat-purchase/application-for-an-hdb-loan-eligibility-hle-letter/hdb-loan-eligibility-hle-letter

infographic-2017-1-what-is-an-hdb-loan-e

• You will be notified by HDB via SMS within 14 days to login to My HDBPage to view your HLE letter details

If you need a housing loan and meet the eligibility conditions and credit assessment criteria, apply for an HLE letter to get a confirmation on your housing loan eligibility. You need to have a valid HLE letter before you may commit to buy a flat^ or take over the ownership of a flat.

Guest guest

Usually it will take around 2 weeks to get process, so just patiently and wait.

By the way, what is the interest rate for HDB loan currently? It is still 2.6%

1 hour ago, Guest guest said:

The safest option is still HDB fixed rate. Avoid using bank floating rates; they are quite dangerous, especially in the current highly uncertain world. 

Edited by Why?

Guest Jon lee

Resale marker is crazy! How can a 40yo 4br in jurong east cost $560k???? It was selling around $400k 2 yrs ago. Any experts know if market will cool down soon? 6000 unit bto top soon. 

15 hours ago, Guest guest said:

Yes 2.6% unlikely increasing or decreasing - tied to too much politics.

12 hours ago, Guest Jon lee said:

Resale marker is crazy! How can a 40yo 4br in jurong east cost $560k???? It was selling around $400k 2 yrs ago. Any experts know if market will cool down soon? 6000 unit bto top soon. 

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/singapore/hdb-nest-egg-retirement-pm-lee-property-value-public-housing-3375271

It's the same answer to when they will stop adding new citizens or when the party lose it's power.

10 hours ago, Guest guest said:

By the time I can afford a HDB, I think I can only buy the BTOs with 50 year lease or something.

Enough to live till 99 years then go on rental scheme at the same price - not too bad actually. Current 20 years flat already flaking internally.

2 hours ago, keyboard said:

Yes 2.6% unlikely increasing or decreasing - tied to too much politics.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/singapore/hdb-nest-egg-retirement-pm-lee-property-value-public-housing-3375271

It's the same answer to when they will stop adding new citizens or when the party lose it's power.

Enough to live till 99 years then go on rental scheme at the same price - not too bad actually. Current 20 years flat already flaking internally.

Stop adding new citizen? That is not going to happen, their immediate goal is 6.9m, once reached they will try 8 or even 10m. Party lose power also not going to happen, with the influx of new citizen, definitely will vote for them. 

Current high resale price is not sustainable, once BTO completes,  price should fall or if there is a recession this year,  price should fall. Price difference for a 3 room between peak and off peak can be more than 60k, so is worth to wait. 

BTO for senior is one option, 40 years lease for about 100k, per month is about $200+, is definitely cheaper than renting. For low income, rent a army bunk room from $26+ is another option. 

5 hours ago, lonelyglobe said:

Current high resale price is not sustainable, once BTO completes,  price should fall

BTO completion has no bearing on the price of resale flat. If you buy a BTO for $500K + interest. After MOP, do you want to sell below your purchase price? No right? You will probably put price tag for $700K on the market and then everyone starts to follow. Unless you are willing to buy high sell low, the property price will never ever comes down.

5 hours ago, lonelyglobe said:

BTO for senior is one option, 40 years lease for about 100k, per month is about $200+, 

Not quite true. Location determines the sale price of BTO for seniors; the more established the estate, the more expensive. Some can reach as high as 180K for 45 years lease.    If your current 3-room HDB with remaining 50 years has a space area of 65 sqm, and is worth only $250K, then stay put and don't "downgrade", you will be shortchanged to move into 45 years lease with tiny space but pay $180K.

Guest guest
23 hours ago, Why? said:

The safest option is still HDB fixed rate. Avoid using bank floating rates; they are quite dangerous, especially in the current highly uncertain world. 

But heard the interest rate for HDB loan went up to 3% plus. Consider quite high if fix rate for the next 20-25 years.

Guest guest
22 hours ago, Guest Jon lee said:

Resale HDB price really become crazy. No matter what the age of the flat, the price went up a lot compared to 2-3 years ago. Esp those old flat 40 years and above, still can sell high $400k to even $500k for a 3 rm at popular location. So it is a good time to sell than buy now.

Guest guest
7 hours ago, lonelyglobe said:

Stop adding new citizen? That is not going to happen, their immediate goal is 6.9m, once reached they will try 8 or even 10m. Party lose power also not going to happen, with the influx of new citizen, definitely will vote for them. 

Current high resale price is not sustainable, once BTO completes,  price should fall or if there is a recession this year,  price should fall. Price difference for a 3 room between peak and off peak can be more than 60k, so is worth to wait. 

BTO for senior is one option, 40 years lease for about 100k, per month is about $200+, is definitely cheaper than renting. For low income, rent a army bunk room from $26+ is another option. 

No one knows when the crazy price for resale HDB will fall. So whether wait or buy, both also have risk.

Party lose power indeed not going to happen. But even if party lose power, who can guaranteed life will get better here? And inflation would not get worse?

Resale HDB price really become crazy. No matter what the age of the flat, the price went up a lot compared to 2-3 years ago. Esp those old flat 40 years and above, still can sell high $400k to even $500k for a 3 rm at popular location. So it is a good time to sell than buy now.

Absolutely,  in fact resale price remain flat for 7 years from 2014 to 2020 before it went crazy after covid strikes followed by all the BTO delay drama. 

Edited by lonelyglobe

Guest Guest

But heard the interest rate for HDB loan went up to 3% plus. Consider quite high if fix rate for the next 20-25 years.

Heard from who? I am on HDB loan (2.6%) and yet to receive any notification regarding this matter.

On 3/29/2023 at 2:09 AM, lonelyglobe said:

Absolutely,  in fact resale price remain flat for 7 years from 2014 to 2020 before it went crazy after covid strikes followed by all the BTO delay drama. 

Had to dig figures if this was actually true... https://www.hdb.gov.sg/residential/selling-a-flat/overview/resale-statistics

Looks to be linked with the increase in population? Cant find one that shows as a graph with both.

4Q2022-RPI-chart.ashx?w=100%25&la=enimage.thumb.png.cb015a62870a09af93f54b61463b2e91.png

Edited by keyboard

Guest Guest

So from 2014-2019 the HDB prices actually weakened.  So why did so many BW oldies not buy when prices slide ? Was it because they spent most of their younger days enjoying at sauna/clubs and when there was a PH (Public Holiday) they would take the first flight out of Singapore to Bangkok for sex tourism? 

All transaction now are subjected to 8% GST and commercial vehicles COE (Van, Lorry) are at historical high so this makes everything much more expensive. Do you truly understand the multiplying effect?

Now age is catching up and suddenly realised that having own real estate is real financial security into the future.  Also staying with parents at such ripe old age looks awfully depressing to all.

Well like the saying goes, it's better late than never.

27 minutes ago, Guest Guest said:

So from 2014-2019 the HDB prices actually weakened.  So why did so many BW oldies not buy when prices slide ? Was it because they spent most of their younger days enjoying at sauna/clubs and when there was a PH (Public Holiday) they would take the first flight out of Singapore to Bangkok for sex tourism? 

All transaction now are subjected to 8% GST and commercial vehicles COE (Van, Lorry) are at historical high so this makes everything much more expensive. Do you truly understand the multiplying effect?

Now age is catching up and suddenly realised that having own real estate is real financial security into the future.  Also staying with parents at such ripe old age looks awfully depressing to all.

Well like the saying goes, it's better late than never.

For those turning 35 between 2014-2019, that is the best time to buy but for those who are holding on a flat during that period,  they would not want to sell because of the cheap price. 

Guest Guest
46 minutes ago, lonelyglobe said:

For those turning 35 between 2014-2019, that is the best time to buy but for those who are holding on a flat during that period,  they would not want to sell because of the cheap price. 

So did you take action? No. 
In 2015, HDB launched 2 Room Flexi BTO for the single and/or low income because resale HDB was getting too pricey. Anyone gutsy enough and bought would be sitting on a lumpy profit which can be used to purchase his next HDB resale (3.4 or 5).

Singapore citizen must learn how to profit from the system. Get rid of your IDGAF attitude. 

Guest guest
5 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

So did you take action? No. 
In 2015, HDB launched 2 Room Flexi BTO for the single and/or low income because resale HDB was getting too pricey. Anyone gutsy enough and bought would be sitting on a lumpy profit which can be used to purchase his next HDB resale (3.4 or 5).

Singapore citizen must learn how to profit from the system. Get rid of your IDGAF attitude. 

2 rm flat not say you want to buy; you can get it. I have tried many times applying one but cannot get a queue number. Maybe my luck is not good.

Guest GUest
19 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

Heard from who? I am on HDB loan (2.6%) and yet to receive any notification regarding this matter.

I just got my HLE, the letter stated the interest rate is 3.16%.

Guest Guest
6 hours ago, lonelyglobe said:

For those who have bought a resale btw 2014-2019, must depends what is the age of the resale flat you have bought. Example if the person bought a resale flat which is 40 year old in 2015, in this year this flat already 48 year old, many people say lease decay and value of the flat will go down as it aged. So it might be a good time to sell now if you are staying a an old flat.

However, if you bought a 30 year old in 2015. And the age of the flat now is 38 year old. I would think it is better to continue to stay until the crazy resale price drop, since the flat still can tahan for at least another 5-7 years.

13 hours ago, Guest GUest said:

I just got my HLE, the letter stated the interest rate is 3.16%.

This looks to be the answer - learn something new though it's been around for ages.

https://hollandproperty.com.sg/5-blind-spots-when-selling-your-hdb-flat-2/

Under Blind Spot #4. Can borrow from HDB 2 times max. If it's the 2nd time (and have existing property), they will quote current market rates at 3.16% then go back to 2.6% when you sell.

https://www.hdb.gov.sg/residential/servicing-your-hdb-housing-loan/loan-matters/interest-rate#:~:text=Note%3A The monthly interest rate,the second month that follows.

Guest guest
11 hours ago, keyboard said:

This looks to be the answer - learn something new though it's been around for ages.

https://hollandproperty.com.sg/5-blind-spots-when-selling-your-hdb-flat-2/

Under Blind Spot #4. Can borrow from HDB 2 times max. If it's the 2nd time (and have existing property), they will quote current market rates at 3.16% then go back to 2.6% when you sell.

https://www.hdb.gov.sg/residential/servicing-your-hdb-housing-loan/loan-matters/interest-rate#:~:text=Note%3A The monthly interest rate,the second month that follows.

Useful information.

On 4/2/2023 at 7:52 AM, Guest Emerx said:

2000+ days before I can buy my own house. I'm so excited.

Glue to the clock and begin the countdown to 48000 hours, so is momentary ticking of the HDB price.  Let's hope you can maintain your excitement by then.

Edited by Why?

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.