Male HQ

Discussion About Single & Hdb Flat Ownership + Hdb Loan (Compiled)

worldangel

The biggest drawback of a new apartment or a BTO is how challenging it is to get the clothes dry on a sunny day.  The majority of BTOs are designed so that your laundry area is almost shaded to prevent sunlight from pouring directly into your balcony.  Whereas resale older flat have no such issue and you can hang out your cloth with a bamboo to expose it directly under the sun and breeze for quick drying.

BTO dwellers, need to invest in a good dryer at home.

Another disadvantage of having a wide living room window is that, although it may make your living room appear much brighter, you should remember that sunlight contains UV rays and other types of radiation that are bad for our human cells over the long term.  Those living on the highest floor will receive the maximum impact.

BTO dwellers, need to invest in a good curtain. 

Regarding 2-room BTO, your very own, cherished toilet won't have window to keep it ventilated. You must open the door after poo-pooing  to let your personal fragrance escape.

If you are single and staying alone, you might consider opening your toilet door when doing business.

I hope the information above sheds some light on the matter when you think about purchasing a BTO.

11 hours ago, sgmaven said:

The humidity in Singapore is such, and if you do not let the windows open to allow for airflow, things like clothes will not dry. I know I am not being very green, but I have resorted to a clothes dryer instead.

The place i'm at, even with the windows open, the airflow is not sufficient. It's just how the block is built to maximize the space/plot shape.

6 hours ago, sgmaven said:

@keyboardtake a look at this picture on google maps, and you can see the end of the tunnel and covered walkway, that is next to the site at Ghim Moh. The green wooded patch is where the flats will be built.

https://www.google.com/maps/@1.3083251,103.7912819,3a,75y,237.92h,87.36t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sNqGjMiEpEkZBvDf8FncbZw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Yeah, this is a clearer picture to what I saw last night on google maps. Though now I'm more geared towards Kallang due to the food availability + nearer to Town. It does feel like Kallang will fetch a higher price later too.

4 hours ago, Since u r here said:

So u r one of them?

Come say hi?

3 hours ago, cityhallguy said:

Actually Dover not bad mah.  Near Holland V and near circle line too. Also don’t forget BV got Star vista so not necessary have to go Clementi. 
Moreover, there are buses to go city easily too. The only problems be in the morning peak hours bah but then everywhere be busy and squeeze during that period 😂 

Star Vista super expensive loh. The Robertson area also atas.  You must have not taken MRT on those stations where you need to wait 2-3 trains before you can get on. Dover will be one of them next time. No other doors to run to board.

1 hour ago, Why? said:

The biggest drawback of a new apartment or a BTO is how challenging it is to get the clothes dry on a sunny day.  The majority of BTOs are designed so that your laundry area is almost shaded to prevent sunlight from pouring directly into your balcony.  Whereas resale older flat have no such issue and you can hang out your cloth with a bamboo to expose it directly under the sun and breeze for quick drying.

BTO dwellers, need to invest in a good dryer at home.

Another disadvantage of having a wide living room window is that, although it may make your living room appear much brighter, you should remember that sunlight contains UV rays and other types of radiation that are bad for our human cells over the long term.  Those living on the highest floor will receive the maximum impact.

BTO dwellers, need to invest in a good curtain. 

Regarding 2-room BTO, your very own, cherished toilet won't have window to keep it ventilated. You must open the door after poo-pooing  to let your personal fragrance escape.

If you are single and staying alone, you might consider opening your toilet door when doing business.

I hope the information above sheds some light on the matter when you think about purchasing a BTO.

Never really thought about the UV thing for higher floors. Avoid East/West facing units? At different times of the year, my room during the day is inhabitable also.

1 hour ago, keyboard said:

Never really thought about the UV thing for higher floors. Avoid East/West facing units? At different times of the year, my room during the day is inhabitable also.

Apply sunscreen or sun lotion if it became too sunny at home.   Otherwise, drop down your curtain or avoid sitting near to the window.  If you look a most BTO flat, most owner hung their laundry on the living room window to catch the sun.

Edited by Why?

15 hours ago, Guest guest said:

As a single, you are not allowed to apply BTO in a mature estate under single scheme.

Yes, you are right. Sorry for the confusion and thanks for the correction.

But for me, i am Single plus Elderly (more than 55 years old).

I forgot that I am balloted under the Elderly scheme and not Single scheme. And there are advantages to it.

- The application rate is lower for Elderly than Single.

- At least 40% of the flat supply will be set aside for Elderly.

- We can apply for mature estates but only for short-lease.

- We can choose to have renovation done for us which costs about 10K to save the hassle and cost of doing renovation. (The only item we need to install is air-con.)

11 hours ago, kidster said:

Queenstown should be a mature estate so singles cannot apply under Single scheme.

If you are unsure if an estate is mature or not, wait for the actual release news. It will be clearly shown.

34 minutes ago, Guest Single said:

I forgot that I am balloted under the Elderly scheme and not Single scheme. And there are advantages to it.

- We can choose to have renovation done for us which costs about 10K to save the hassle and cost of doing renovation. (The only item we need to install is air-con.)

I wonder if 55 years will have more priority?

I am first time home buyer, just try bto application for fun twice - both never get. 

🌑🌒🌓🌔🌕🌖🌗🌘🌑

1 hour ago, Why? said:

Apply sunscreen or sun lotion if it became too sunny at home.   Otherwise, drop down your curtain or avoid sitting near to the window.  If you look a most BTO flat, most owner hung their laundry on the living room window to catch the sun.

hahaha. I have aluminum foil on my windows. become dark room once the windows are closed.

1 hour ago, Guest Single said:

This is not true. Elderly scheme can apply 99 years lease in any estate (mature/non-mature) all can. The short-term is not equal (paying price/99 x Y years), so you tend to pay more for shorter lease.

37 minutes ago, tomcat said:

I wonder if 55 years will have more priority?

I am first time home buyer, just try bto application for fun twice - both never get. 

If you go under the Elderly scheme, you have reserved slots. Then you look at the number of applicants under that category (per project). If less than 1, it's guaranteed you will get to choose a unit. The chances are much higher than 2nd timers.

https://services2.hdb.gov.sg/webapp/BP13BTOENQWeb/AR_Aug2022_BTO?strSystem=BTO

Number of Applications Received for 2-room Flexi flats as at 5 Sep 2022
Project No of Units Number of
Applicants
Application Rate
Elderly Non-Elderly Overall
First Timers Second Timers Singles
Non-Mature Towns /Estates
Choa Chu Kang (Keat Hong Grange) 194 512 2.0 0.2 0.7 4.9 2.6
Jurong East (Jurong East Breeze) 223 1126 2.7 0.3 1.2 10.4 5.0
Woodlands (Woodlands South Plains) 275 1822 4.6 0.8 1.6 11.7 6.6
Mature Town /Estate
Ang Mo Kio (Central Weave @ AMK) 126 1074 9.9 1.2 58.0 NA 8.5
TOTAL 818 4534 4.8 0.7 2.2 9.6 5.5
MEDIAN 3.7 0.6 1.4 10.4 5.8

9 minutes ago, keyboard said:

If you go under the Elderly scheme, you have reserved slots. Then you look at the number of applicants under that category (per project). If less than 1, it's guaranteed you will get to choose a unit. The chances are much higher than 2nd timers.

https://services2.hdb.gov.sg/webapp/BP13BTOENQWeb/AR_Aug2022_BTO?strSystem=BTO

Oh i am 30s, forgot to mention 😅

🌑🌒🌓🌔🌕🌖🌗🌘🌑

11 minutes ago, keyboard said:

haha. Under Singles scheme. The undesired plots also have like 5 singles per unit. 20% chance of success.

Anything close to decent will be like 10x singles per unit. 

Next one i will try is the Yishun one - just tikam lor.

Location is a bit scary though, and not near mrt - only 1 feeder bus

🌑🌒🌓🌔🌕🌖🌗🌘🌑

18 minutes ago, tomcat said:

If you're not keen, try not to get, because if given a number but didn't select, your next chance is close to 0 (even though they say 1st reject no penalty).

To be honest, most/all non-mature estates are not ideal at all. More than 3 bus stops from MRT. Even the mature estates they will give (like queenstown, near ikea), like everyday go ikea buy hotdog eat for 3 meals meh. The only "good" one recently was Woodlands North MRT, but then it takes 30 mins to get from Woodlands North to Orchard. If you actually work in Orchard might still be considerable.

Other near MRT is currently and for the next few ones is only Tengah, all on the Jurong Regional Line (another one of those useless MRT lines), expect crowds waiting for next train type. My vision for them is like Punggol, one "major" mall and lots of long kang. Yishun ones are all facing the sea, saw Punggol always complain about the oil refineries across the border.

2 hours ago, keyboard said:

hahaha. I have aluminum foil on my windows. become dark room once the windows are closed.

Don't listen to the ridiculous suggestions that UV is so terrible. Don't forget that we need the UV to make Vitamin D, and that is one of the things that helps fight COVID-19. In fact, doctors have linked low Vitamin D levels with COVID infections (amongst Europeans who get little/less sunlight in winter).

Слава Україні!

Honestly, it really depends on how old you are when you are buying that BTO. If you are already 55 and above, and buying as an elderly, then your requirements will probably be quite different from that of a single at 35.

If I were 55 (or older), I would be planning for my retirement (or even have retired). Hence, travelling to town or the "daily commute" is not so important. More important, would be the amenities in the area. Are there clinics, supermarkets, eateries nearby?

If you buy as a 35 yo single, then you are not eligible for BTO at mature estates. But being still young and mobile, you will probably look at where is more convenient to commute to work.

My current flat has 45 years remaining in its lease, if the government does not do an enbloc, I think I should be able to live out my days in the flat. That said, if they enbloc SERS my block, I might just opt for a smaller unit in a more "peaceful" location.

Слава Україні!

This is not true. Elderly scheme can apply 99 years lease in any estate (mature/non-mature) all can. The short-term is not equal (paying price/99 x Y years), so you tend to pay more for shorter lease.

I am talking about Single Elderly. Here are the conditions for Singles buying a BTO from HDB website:

"3.2 Age

(a) Buying a 99-year lease 2-room Flexi flat

All applicants must be at least 35 years old at the time of application. Applicants can only apply for a 2-room Flexi flat in non-mature estates.

(b) Buying a short-lease 2-room Flexi flat

All applicants must be at least 55 years old at the time of application. For flats in non-mature estates, applicants are eligible to buy a 99-year or a short-lease 2-room Flexi flats. For flats in mature estates, applicants are eligible for short-lease 2-room Flexi flats only."

For me, a single elderly with no dependent, I want to spend as little as possible for housing. I dun want to be asset rich but cash poor. I want too free up the money used for housing for other purposes. The best option for me i feel is to downsize my resale 4-rm to a BTO 2-rm (short lease) which will cost me only about 100K. This is the cheapest housing that I can find and the best way to get some extra cash for old age. I do not want to spend more for a 99-year lease as I feel 20 to 30 years is enough before i pass on. 

2-room (46 sqm) is also spacious enough for me too. I dun have to spend too much time and energy to clean up a bigger house. Someone mentioned 3-rm is a better choice than 2-rm. For singles, we can only buy a resale and not a BTO 3-rm. Also, it makes no economic sense to downsize a resale 4-rm to resale 3-rm especially when the resale prices are so high now. And having rented out my extra bedrooms to tenants for more than 10 years now, I just want to stop doing so. It is not easy to find considerate and pleasant tenants. 

But of course this is just my own preferences. Everyone has different lifestyle and needs.

If you're not keen, try not to get, because if given a number but didn't select, your next chance is close to 0 (even though they say 1st reject no penalty).

At this point, it is clear they don't even follow their own rules. ethnic quota at my mom's block - 4 same ethnicity in one row, same floor. I will keep applying until i get picked by their "ballot" and go from there. I cannot keep waiting, as it takes 5 years to build! 

Other near MRT is currently and for the next few ones is only Tengah, all on the Jurong Regional Line (another one of those useless MRT lines), expect crowds waiting for next train type. My vision for them is like Punggol, one "major" mall and lots of long kang. Yishun ones are all facing the sea, saw Punggol always complain about the oil refineries across the border.

I currently stay with partner, 5 room flat along NEL. I also grew up in Jurong, CCK, Woodlands. I think I rather live in Yishun than Tengah. That is nothing there, and have to wait another 3 years for infrastructure to slowly come up. 

I have to get my studio soon, so that we can happily move in - then sell or rent out the 5 room!

🌑🌒🌓🌔🌕🌖🌗🌘🌑

3 minutes ago, Since u r here said:

What is a 二房式灵活组屋(2-Room Flexi Flat)单位? How is this flexi diff from the rest?

only 50k cheaper than zijie’s 

https://www.zaobao.com.sg/lifestyle/design-decor/story20221120-1335101?fbclid=IwAR3mY_VZAKz4WrxseNcqoJI9o4RuDPPnf3rzm14uaVrkjpI1egLck_At-MM&mibextid=Zxz2cZ

设计师打掉客厅与卧室的间隔墙,视觉上更宽敞。窗外有榜鹅尾怡人的海景。(Free Space Intent提供图片)

everything looks big taken with a wide angle lens, hahahah

🌑🌒🌓🌔🌕🌖🌗🌘🌑

1 hour ago, tomcat said:

At this point, it is clear they don't even follow their own rules. ethnic quota at my mom's block - 4 same ethnicity in one row, same floor. I will keep applying until i get picked by their "ballot" and go from there. I cannot keep waiting, as it takes 5 years to build!

If you don't realise, the ethnic quota is based on the number of each ethnic group in the block. There is no stipulation that there cannot be 4 households of the same ethnicity on the same floor along the same corridor, unless there are too many households with that same ethnicity in the same block already.

Слава Україні!

1 hour ago, tomcat said:

I currently stay with partner, 5 room flat along NEL. I also grew up in Jurong, CCK, Woodlands. I think I rather live in Yishun than Tengah. That is nothing there, and have to wait another 3 years for infrastructure to slowly come up. 

I have to get my studio soon, so that we can happily move in - then sell or rent out the 5 room!

I believe there is something that a certain race cannot live higher than the temple they worship. Then if that's the block with certain feature, it will attract that religion together, especially if their ballot number is small.

Also there is some family scheme where you can ballot together for 2 houses in the same project. Perhaps en-bloc, the neighbours from the old block get first dips in the new project also. They can pakat to stay on the same floor etc.

Would you not consider condo? I would think the transport wouldn't be as much as an issue with HDB. 2-rm is more likely a 5+ bus stop to MRT (no 10 mins walk as advertised).

1 hour ago, tomcat said:

Yah loh... 2rm advertise as maisonette meh

8 hours ago, Guest Single said:

For your case, you are not allowed to take loan, and must pay in full - under elderly scheme.  How much did you pay.  I wonder how other elderly folks pay for it, if they are not working. 

4 hours ago, tomcat said:

Ya...actually very small (1 bedroom + living combine) - only one big square space.   She bought 99 year lease BTO, if shorter least she is not allowed to knock off the bedroom wall. 

3 hours ago, sgmaven said:

If you don't realise, the ethnic quota is based on the number of each ethnic group in the block. There is no stipulation that there cannot be 4 households of the same ethnicity on the same floor along the same corridor, unless there are too many households with that same ethnicity in the same block already.

haha, there is. 

🌑🌒🌓🌔🌕🌖🌗🌘🌑

1 hour ago, tomcat said:

haha, there is. 

Can you point me to the policy? All I can find is that there is a limit of 25% Malays in a block, and 22% in the neighbourhood'; 13% Indians (or other minorities) and 10% in the neighbourhood. For Chinese, it is a cap of 87% in the block, and 84% in the neighbourhood.

Слава Україні!

11 hours ago, tomcat said:

as my family have been here since 2001, no policy needed. empirically, it is what it is

i'm not sure if you're talking in the positive or negative.

If the numbers are correct, assuming 4 units per floor on a 12 storey HDB, total is 48 households.

25% Malays = 12 households

13% Indians = 6.24 households

Both numbers are above what is allowed in a single block.

But i do wonder that places like Geylang Serai or Marsiling will attract more Malays and Little India and some parts of NEL will attract more Indians? Just like how some places attract more ang moh.

6 hours ago, keyboard said:

If the numbers are correct, assuming 4 units per floor on a 12 storey HDB, total is 48 households.

But i do wonder that places like Geylang Serai or Marsiling will attract more Malays and Little India and some parts of NEL will attract more Indians? Just like how some places attract more ang moh.

Don't forget that in a mixed race couple, the couple can also identify their race as either one of the races. So, if there is a Malay-Indian muslim couple, for example, and the block already has hit the 25% quota for the block, they can identify themselves as Indian and buy a flat in that block.

Also, I think there are some exceptions to the rule, especially in the old days, where they cleared entire kampongs or villages or even islands. These communities were settled into the same few blocks. So, if they were predominantly Malay, for example, then that block is likely to be predominantly Malay, by virtue of where the original inhabitants came from.

Слава Україні!

16 hours ago, keyboard said:

https://mothership.sg/2021/07/30-years-of-racial-quotas-in-hdb-estates-blocks-later-do-we-still-need-the-ethnic-integration-policy/

In the article it does mention the malay prefer bedok to tampines while the chinese like hougang and amk area.

The scheme only started in 1989, therefore it is still normal to see in area like bukit merah,  the whole block can have 80 to 90% chinese,  that is the original owner or those who have bought before 1989.

Edited by lonelyglobe

Just now, Since u r here said:

i didnt evn knw there is such a school, the writeup cannot incld everythin lah

Pardon them

Huh? If you mention Henry Park to most parents of would-be P1 students, their eyes would light up! Henry Park is supposed to be one of the top P-schools in Singapore, with many students getting into RI after PSLE...

Слава Україні!

4 minutes ago, lonelyglobe said:

https://mothership.sg/2021/07/30-years-of-racial-quotas-in-hdb-estates-blocks-later-do-we-still-need-the-ethnic-integration-policy/

In the article it does mention the malay prefer eunos to tampines while the chinese like hougang nad amk area.

The scheme only started in 1989, therefore it is still normal to see in area like bukit merah,  the whole block can have 80 to 90% chinese,  that is the original owner or those who have bought before 1989.

The block at the corner of Clementi (Block 366 Clementi Ave 2), next to the mosque, Masjid Darussalam, and diagonally opposite the Singapore Polytechnic staff apartments, are predominantly Malay, because they were resettled from an offshore island into that block of flats. Yes, even though this block is relatively new, completed in 2001, it is the case of resettlement, and I think that is the "excuse" why even then, ethnic quotas were not put in place.

Слава Україні!

2 minutes ago, Since u r here said:

i truly dont understand how HDB define those at Buona vista Dover as PLH
Whereas the 1 near to Qstwn is NOT prime??

If you look at the "Queenstown Canopy" site, it is not near any MRT, or any existing amenities. In fact, it is a parcel of vacant land, that was freed up partially when the railroad properties were returned to the state by Malaysia, in exchange for a few prime land parcels. Even its adjoining property, the Queen's Arc BTO is only under construction, and not yet completed. Blocks across Queensway from that plot are slightly "older" completed in 1996, so that is also not considered an "old" estate. The traditional core of the Queenstown estate, is much closer to the Queenstown MRT station, which is quite a distance away from the new site. Even the Mei Ling Market and Food Centre is at least a good walk away.

Compare that with the Ulu Pandan Banks parcel, Ulu Pandan Banks is close to the MRT, and is surrounded by rather posher housing estates. While it is further away from amenities compared with Ghim Moh Natura, it is close to Dover Ville, where the famous Holland Village XO Fish Head Bee Hoon shop is at. Also nearby is the newly-established Ghim Moh Link community. Yes, I think Ulu Pandan Banks will just end up being an extension to the Ghim Moh ecosystem, although further off from the main centre of Ghim Moh Market, etc.

As for Ghim Moh Natura, it is easily considered "prime" for its location. Walking distance to the MRT, which is an interchange station, as well as to numerous amenities, including Star Vista, Holland Village, and Ghim Moh market. It is a project that is transplanted into a thriving mature ecosystem.

19 minutes ago, Since u r here said:

if those areas are prime, since Sg is so small, whole sg is considered as "Prime" then!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Buona can be loosely defined as prime cos it is connected by diff lines of MRT ie the only lame excuse

i cant see the logic at all

If you want to see places that are far less prime, take a visit to places like Admiralty or Yew Tee. Despite being next to an MRT, and being close to "town centre", the "town centre" does not have many amenities. The relatively low population of the "town"/development, also means that it is unlikely to attract further development of amenities. For an "older" estate with that issue, try Potong Pasir.

23 minutes ago, Since u r here said:

Sgmaven,

Fact is no1 mentioned abt it and i dont even know the school at all, sorry

If u mentioned River valley primary and Nan Chiau, yes i know them cos i m from there

Unfortunately (or fortunately), the world does not revolve around you, @Since u r here, or the schools you were from. Go ask any of your colleagues with kids due to apply for admission into Primary Schools, and they probably know Henry Park.

Just take a look at Henry Park Primary

Слава Україні!

Guest What if? huh!
26 minutes ago, Guest Whywhy said:

If I take over my parent's 3rm flat and it en bloc, can I take the opportunity to upgrade to 4rm?  

It is not going to happen.  Your parent's flat won't be en bloc.  Future may have policy changes.  Your priority in life will change too.   Tell us more in 20 years time.  Don't waste our time now.

10 hours ago, Guest Whywhy said:

If I take over my parent's 3rm flat and it en bloc, can I take the opportunity to upgrade to 4rm?  

Very difficult as they already mentioned less than 5% of flat eligible for enbloc. Subsequently can go and buy one of the amk enbloc flat,  askibg price for a 3 room is about 410k. After mop of new flat,  the price can be fantastic,  bedok area 3 room with more than 90+ year of lease can fetch 500k+ and central area 600k+. I cant imagine any single will want to pay that kind of price for a 3 room,  for couple with children probably yes as they can pass the flat to their children. 

35 minutes ago, lonelyglobe said:

Very difficult as they already mentioned less than 5% of flat eligible for enbloc. Subsequently can go and buy one of the amk enbloc flat,  askibg price for a 3 room is about 410k. After mop of new flat,  the price can be fantastic,  bedok area 3 room with more than 90+ year of lease can fetch 500k+ and central area 600k+. I cant imagine any single will want to pay that kind of price for a 3 room,  for couple with children probably yes as they can pass the flat to their children. 

Many resale 3 rm is selling at $400k and above. Difficult to find below $350k, unless those very old HDB and location not that good. 

On 11/21/2022 at 4:38 AM, sgmaven said:

https://www.google.com/maps/@1.3122586,103.8718463,3a,75y,238.55h,93.16t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s4Ij_7CX2hWEYyjAej90Mtg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

The Geylang plot can be seen on this street view (Kallang MRT is on the left of picture), and is sandwiched between the MRT and the relatively new blocks behind that plot (Kallang Trivista). The Bus Terminal is opposite the MRT station from the plot, so I think the MRT tracks and trains will be a greater concern (in terms of noise) than the buses.

2 rm flat unit confirmed will face the MRt track side. Only bigger units will be facing the Kallang Trivista direction. But this site will be very convenience to MRT and surrounding amenity. You need to trade off with noises around, cannot have best of both worlds.

On 11/21/2022 at 2:32 PM, tomcat said:

Yishun should have higher chance to get a flat, since this location not many people apply.

On 11/21/2022 at 3:00 PM, keyboard said:

To be honest, most/all non-mature estates are not ideal at all. More than 3 bus stops from MRT. Even the mature estates they will give (like queenstown, near ikea), like everyday go ikea buy hotdog eat for 3 meals meh. The only "good" one recently was Woodlands North MRT, but then it takes 30 mins to get from Woodlands North to Orchard. If you actually work in Orchard might still be considerable.

The oil refineries across the border in punggol seems like does not affect the popularity and price in punggol BTO and resale. This place has become quite an expensive location. The resale flat there is not cheap even for 3 rm. Even though punggol is far from town, and hearsay traffic there is very heavy during peak. But there are still many people like to stay in punggol.

On 11/21/2022 at 4:09 PM, sgmaven said:

Honestly, it really depends on how old you are when you are buying that BTO. If you are already 55 and above, and buying as an elderly, then your requirements will probably be quite different from that of a single at 35.

If I were 55 (or older), I would be planning for my retirement (or even have retired). Hence, travelling to town or the "daily commute" is not so important. More important, would be the amenities in the area. Are there clinics, supermarkets, eateries nearby?

If you buy as a 35 yo single, then you are not eligible for BTO at mature estates. But being still young and mobile, you will probably look at where is more convenient to commute to work.

My current flat has 45 years remaining in its lease, if the government does not do an enbloc, I think I should be able to live out my days in the flat. That said, if they enbloc SERS my block, I might just opt for a smaller unit in a more "peaceful" location.

High chance your flat would not get SERS, since there are too many old HDB around, no way they can SERS them.

On 11/21/2022 at 9:01 PM, Why? said:

For your case, you are not allowed to take loan, and must pay in full - under elderly scheme.  How much did you pay.  I wonder how other elderly folks pay for it, if they are not working. 

They could be full pay the house after selling their existing flat?

On 11/22/2022 at 10:04 PM, keyboard said:

I think hdb that near to geyland serai and little india, should have more malays and indians staying. I notice the HDB at boon keng/farrer park/whampoa area, seems like more indians staying there as compared to others hdb estate.

30 minutes ago, Guest guest said:

High chance your flat would not get SERS, since there are too many old HDB around, no way they can SERS them.

I think chances might be low now, as the government is still reeling from the financial outlay during the COVID lockdown. However, there is a chance for those flats that are close to the town centre, as the current plot ratios are much lower (about 2.6) to that of the new developments 3.8 or 4.0. Hence, once they feel that there is demand for these flats, they can always SERS the blocks, and build more units in the area left by the vacated blocks. Don't forget that it is not only the plot ratios, but also the space between blocks.

The chances are much lower, the further away from Town Centre, the Interchange and the MRT, your flat is. Since I doubt there is as much demand for such spaces.

Слава Україні!

5 minutes ago, sgmaven said:

I think chances might be low now, as the government is still reeling from the financial outlay during the COVID lockdown. However, there is a chance for those flats that are close to the town centre, as the current plot ratios are much lower (about 2.6) to that of the new developments 3.8 or 4.0. Hence, once they feel that there is demand for these flats, they can always SERS the blocks, and build more units in the area left by the vacated blocks. Don't forget that it is not only the plot ratios, but also the space between blocks.

The chances are much lower, the further away from Town Centre, the Interchange and the MRT, your flat is. Since I doubt there is as much demand for such spaces.

Actually there are many old HDB flats close to town area, and yet until now still no sign of them gets SERS. So i guess if they want to SERS them, should have done long ago. You see most of the recent SERS project all are far from town area and some even not near to MRT/interchange. Example the macpherson and west coast SERS, and also the recent AMK SERS.

The havelock rd area HDB flats very close to town and also very old, and still not SERS. Lavender area also many old HDB flats.

Just now, Guest guest said:

Actually there are many old HDB flats close to town area, and yet until now still no sign of them gets SERS. So i guess if they want to SERS them, should have done long ago. You see most of the recent SERS project all are far from town area and some even not near to MRT/interchange. Example the macpherson and west coast SERS, and also the recent AMK SERS.

The havelock rd area HDB flats very close to town and also very old, and still not SERS. Lavender area also many old HDB flats.

I think you have mistaken what I meant by Town Centre... It is not downtown, but the proximity to the Town Centre of the HDB New Town. The West Coast SERS is a bit strange in that respect. However, I do not know much of the background of that to speculate. It could be that there were other issues that caused HDB to consider SERS, rather than the continued rectification works?

As for the Havelock Road and Lavender area flats, I think that the government has other plans. More likely that they will let the leases run down, since the people living there are likely to expect their SERS to fetch them a high market price (compensation). It might be, that SLA may then re-gazette that parcel, after lease expiry, for other uses.

Слава Україні!

I really do not believe in paying an exuberant price for a living space, unless I am a celebrity and that my life could potentially be in some sort of danger living "commonly".  For me, one person, one bedroom, one living room, one kitchen is all I need. A balcony would be a plus but optional. But you go do you.

34 minutes ago, sgmaven said:

I think you have mistaken what I meant by Town Centre... It is not downtown, but the proximity to the Town Centre of the HDB New Town. The West Coast SERS is a bit strange in that respect. However, I do not know much of the background of that to speculate. It could be that there were other issues that caused HDB to consider SERS, rather than the continued rectification works?

As for the Havelock Road and Lavender area flats, I think that the government has other plans. More likely that they will let the leases run down, since the people living there are likely to expect their SERS to fetch them a high market price (compensation). It might be, that SLA may then re-gazette that parcel, after lease expiry, for other uses.

Havelock rd i think not consider downtown but rather city fridge. Downtown should be those hdb in bras basah, waterloo and chinatown area. I doubts these hdb would get SERS at all, no matter how old they are. But hdb at city fridge area, i guess if they build new hdb on those lands, should have able to fetch much more higher price.

On 11/20/2022 at 11:52 PM, sgmaven said:

In the end, there is also an element of luck. Choose all we like, but we can't really choose our neighbours. For a period, there was a baby living in a flat below, that used to wail through the night... Yes, that kind of piercing wailing... It was so loud that even with my windows tightly-shut, and aircon on, the sound of her cries would transmit through my WC, into my bedroom... Thank goodness that family moved out after some time!

Agreed, we cannot choose our neighbours, whether you are buying new BTO or resale. Even for resale, you cannot tell if the neighbour staying same floor, below or above your unit is nuisance or not.

Like my current house, the neighbour staying above me is an idiot, always hear knocking sound on the floor, running in the house, dragging things on the floor and stomping sound. Already complaint to HDB but noise still same. And useless HDB asked me to go mediation centre to resolve my case and they cannot do anything about it. And i find out that i still need to pay for the stupid mediation centre before they will entertain my case. Also there is no guaranteed that the noise issue will be resolve. 

On 11/21/2022 at 4:41 PM, tomcat said:

https://services2.hdb.gov.sg/webapp/BP13BTOENQWeb/AR_Nov2022_BTO?strSystem=BTO

Application closes: 1 Dec 2022 11:59pm

Yishun (Miltonia Breeze @ Yishun / Vanda Breeze @ Yishun / Aranda Breeze @ Yishun)

No of Units: 1191

Number of Applicants: 792

Elderly: 0.4

First Timers: 0.0

Second Timers: 0.0

Singles: 1.2

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.