Vietnam - Massage / Sauna (Compiled)

Moustache

Here's the price list for some services in himspa, i think it's quite cheap

+ Body massage (60 min): 250.000 đ ~ 11$

+ Body massage (90 min): 350.000 đ ~ 16$

+ Body scrub: 250.000 đ ~ 11$

+ Face massage: 200.000 đ ~ 10$

+ Sauna: 150.000 đ ~ 6$ 

how much would you tip for a 60min massage in hcmc?

Have been thinking of doing a Vietnam trip and started reading up on travel blogs. Am being put off by what I am reading about scams there e.g. 5 hr trip from one town to another town done in a small, packed, over crowded van instead of in a tourist bus. There are also statistics as to how the tourist return rate to Vietnam is 5% as compared to 50% for Thailand.

So, is it true? BW'ers never talk about be ripped off so I wonder if is common

http://blog.theholidaze.com/2014/07/most-tourists-never-return-to-vietnam/

Vietnam is worth visiting for sure. i have been to hcmc many times this year and have decided i'd want to visit more frequently and travel to other cities there as well. there will always be some who experience bad encounters (such things happen in every country). sometimes we have to look at how some tourists/travellers themselves behave. I have seen many foreigners treating the locals rudely. some foreigners do not know how to behave themselves and do not respect the culture of the countries they visit. never treat the locals as though they are of a lower class. be nice and you would be treated well too. have seen many foreigners behaving badly here too, thinking they own this place.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 4/4/2006 at 9:23 AM, oralb said:

better dun play play in HCMC

like china, another communist state, money boys and extortion are common. Utopia should have provide ample warning, even something as common as Karaoke may be dangereous. Well police will not be much of help unless you know some big shot there.

my advise, try the hotel's spa or sauna. generally only tourists or well-to-do vietnames will patron such places and chances of extortion are lower (of coz it may still happen, so use caution)

unless you are accompany by your local friends or inside the hotel, i would also advise going to massage palor.

personally, if you are thinking of having fun, BKK is a much better place.

Inaccurate information.

- Money boys are common in every county in the world include all first world countries, many in USA GB, Germany, France, Australia, and in Asia, with thousands of MBs in Thailand, Japan and more. 

- Extortion is common in every country in the world including all the countries in my last line above, and more. In Thailand extortion happens in cheap and expensive venues.  

- Communist countries are not all automatically negative about gay stuff.  I suggest the original posters learn a bit more about the general meaning of 'communist', it's nothing to do with sexual orientation or sexual activity.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Guest
1 hour ago, Jsoo6868 said:

HCMC now ... Any place recommend? 

1 hour ago, Jsoo6868 said:

HCMC now ... Any place recommend? 

Wanna meet up ? From KL will reach HCMC tonight 

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Vu houng Nguyen

Is Vietnam a Gay Destination ?

"Mot Hai Ba... Vo!" You can't drink in Southern Vietnam without that ubiquitous phrase. It's translated to "1, 2, 3… In!" (or 1, 2, 3, drink!)

That's how you do it in the busy and culture-packed city of Ho Chi Minh - ditch the "Cheers!" or "Yamseng!" It doesn't matter if you can't pronounce the first part. Just blame it on your low alcohol tolerance and join in the roars of "YO!"(Vo is pronounced like Yo) at the top of your lungs. I indulged in the dangerous combination of having way too much to drink while winding through the lively streets of Ho Chi Minh city on the back of a Vespa, accepting hearty offers of Saigon beer that is the widely-consumed local favourite.

Just two hours away from Singapore, my time in the thriving city of Ho Chi Minh - or Saigon as locals affectionately call it - was nothing short of a thrilling adventure.

Here's what a thrill-seeker can do on a short getaway to Ho Chi Minh city:

Experience the nightlife in Saigon on a Vespa

20150510_202426.jpg?itok=UHQz1fFa

Seafood. Drinks. Bands. Fun. Are you not sold yet? Simply put, Vespa Adventures is an all-you-can-drink seafood extravaganza and cafe-hopping experience you won't want to miss.

If you're wondering what to do at night, this is the nightlife activity that surpasses whatever else you had planned. Feel the wind in your hair as you bravely zig-zag through busy Saigon traffic.

Food, drinks and sightseeing are all covered on this tour -- what's more, you get to take photos on the adorable Vespa!

It was my first time as a pillion rider on a bike so I was a little more than nervous when my rider picked me up at the hotel.

"Don't worry," my rider Hui reassured me as he manoeuvred through traffic like a seasoned expert.

He picked me at my hotel at about 6pm and my first stop was Café Zoom, where I could jump start my appetite with some nachos and mojitos.

After giving you a brief overview, they send you on your way to a seafood feast. I was roaring for local food by then and some local beer to go along was just the way to wind down after a day of travelling and all that motorcycle action.

At every location, an English-speaking guide will be there to share little tidbits about the customs of Vietnam - from how they cook and eat their seafood to how they propose a toast. The adventure included zooming to places like Quan An Gia Dinh 662, an authentic, local place at District 4 with live seafood. You know you can get a true view of the city when you're away from the touristy glamour, as the streets get less metropolitan.

I arrive at an open-air setting decorated with unpretentious plastic chairs and was served local-style dishes like crabs with a lime salt dip, lemongrass ginger clams and peanut garlic mussels. The offerings were a unique combination of sweet and savoury that tasted both familiar and exciting, which left me wanting more.

DSC07607.JPG?itok=fcS2O57IFa

Then, I was off to Quan Banh Xeo 46A for more food - Vietnamese spring rolls and other local delicacies. I learnt how to correctly wrap my beef in rice paper, dip fingers with water, and seal it.

The foodie-me was immensely satisfied, but the night was not over. I took a break from the hustling around to a hidden location; we turned left from the traffic-jammed road onto a dark and narrow street. The place looked a little forgotten. I was led to the end of the street where the sign on a wooden read: Vung Oi Mo Ra".

It was actually the name of the rustic cafe, but I understood from a friend that the Vietnamese phrase was like a code word used to open secret doors - much like "Open sesame". Well, it seemed apt for a place with such a secretive location.

It did not disappoint when the doors opened, revealing a magically quaint little spot with sofas, cushions and fairy lights.

I slouched in one of the couches and sipped wine as I listened to the incredible local talents belt out Vietnamese and English tunes with a talented pianist and violinist. The adorable cafe regularly features up-and-coming singers who have such powerhouse vocals you'd wonder why they're not famous yet. The place was a spot known to locals to chill and listen to live music.

If acoustic is not your style, The Acoustic, unlike its name suggests, is a music bar where they feature rock music. I entered to see a singer and his band belting out what I assume is a Vietnamese classic, as the entire bar roars with them.

Finally, it was time to end the night. I gave Hui a bear hug to thank him for ensuring my safety the whole night and to bid him adieu. My night with Vespa Adventures was such a highlight, I almost refused to return to my hotel room.

If you're not up for the 'Saigon After Dark' tour I did, Vespa Adventures also offers different sets of daytime tours. These include rides to iconic locations like Buddhist pagodas, deep ventures off the beaten track to Mekong Delta countryside, local cooking tours and more.

My nightlife tour cost USD 89 (approx. $120), which lasted from about 6pm to 10.30pm and included all drinks and food.

Visit http://vespaadventures.com for more details.

Soak in the city skyline at a sky bar

DSC07483.JPG?itok=jDrBOJ1G

New York City is dubbed as "The City That Never Sleeps", and Ho Chi Minh City is like The Big Apple's little sister. It's equally vibrant nightlife brought me to a rooftop bars on one night.

There are many rooftop bars in Vietnam, but the one I visited was Chill Skybar at AB Tower.

Don't be fooled by the name, as it is far from "chill". I dare say, it's the most happening club on the scene as you ascend 27 floors to the most breath-taking city view.

There, bartenders also double as circus performers, as the guy who just shook your Cosmopolitan gets on top of the bar counter to perform a fire dance.

If you are looking for a place to go to for drinks after dinner, or simply just an bird's eye view of the Ho Chi Minh city's skyline, this is a place for you.

A day in the shoes of a Viet Cong soldier

DSC07411.JPG?itok=bzwcqOxd

The claustrophobic would probably stay very far away from the Cu Chi tunnels, which is located in the Cu Chi district of Ho Chi Minh city. This intricate network of underground tunnels run pretty much all over the country, and were used for military campaigns and hideouts during the Vietnam War.

The 121-km long tunnels are today preserved by the government. The Ben Tinh tunnel display site is now a popular attraction where tourists can learn about the war through the Vietnamese's perspective and climb around the safe parts of the tunnels that were modified for tourists to get a taste of life underground.

I rose up to the challenge and found the opening of the tunnel, with lots of help from a guide familiar with the place. The tunnels that the Viet Cong soldiers used to escape from the American soldiers back in 1968 were so well-hidden you could walk over it a hundred times and never notice the entrances.

I climbed into the tunnel and shut the lid, not daring to move from my spot in the pitch-black darkness.

I heard only my own laboured breathing. I also could not move even if I wanted to - even though I am an average-sized girl. The tunnels were made very tight as the soldiers in the past mostly lived on tapioca and water, making them much smaller in physique than the average modern person.

The intricate tunnel system goes on for many kilometres and you could very well end up on the other side of the city if you get lost in it.

These days at the Ben Tinh attraction, you can crawl through the tunnels which have been expanded and lit up with dim lamps for you to get a feel of how the Viet Congs lived underground. It was, but a small sample, of the real tunnel conditions during the war; I could imagine myself feeling trapped if I had to live in the original tunnels.

You can also hear the deafening sounds of gunfire - and partake in it. They let you fire an AK-47, M-16, machine guns and more. I left the shooting range filled with adrenaline rush and feeling very gungho, but also knowing that I have terrible aim.

The gun range has additional charges on top of the admission fees. It costs about $2 to $3 per bullet depending on the firearm you pick.

I also recommend the War Remnants Museum which features weapons, tanks, and heartbreakingly powerful photography about the American War (also known as Vietnam war in the US or second Indochina war). It gets incredibly hard to hold back tears seeing the aftermath and victims of the war. But be warned, the images can be graphic.

Our local Vietnamese tour guide Du told us that even though he has been to this museum countless times, the scenes from the past still affect him.

Learn foodie secrets at a cooking class

DSC07319.JPG?itok=pqDLaKrV

The best way to learn all the secrets about a culture's cuisine is to get your hands dirty - and have all the fun while doing so.

I loved getting a chance to try my hand at making well-loved Vietnamese dishes, while learning about the stories and customs behind them.

Saigon cooking class by Hoa Tuc (which means 'Opium Poppy') is a fantastic place to start.

The Vietnamese chef personally greeted me at Ben Thanh Market in District 1 to pick out the freshest ingredients. The contemporary cooking class was then held in a cool, vintage-looking studio about 15 minutes' ride away from the market.

Donning a colourful apron, I learnt little tips of cooking popular Vietnamese dishes.

Chef Khang quips, "Fish sauce is just like salt in Vietnamese cuisine."

I learnt how to make three salivating dishes in my class: Fried spring rolls with dipping sauce, water spinach salad with dried prawns and quail eggs, and crispy noodles with crunchy vegetables and squids.

True enough, the chef never did shy away from the famous fish sauce for any of those dishes, adding a spoonful of that salty goodness in every dish to bring out the taste.

Gaining an insight into making Vietnamese food was not just about the ingredients; the kitchenware was another skill to behold. Chef Khang produced a long, needle-like equipment, a unique invention to slice open the stem of kang kong vegetables.

I never liked my greens, but the combination of fried shallots, peanuts, and my own hard work made it a unique salad to love. The famous Vietnamese spring rolls that I made from scratch also never tasted crispier.

Visit http://www.saigoncookingclass.com/ for more information.

Grab fresh local produce from a local market

DSC07251.JPG?itok=SDyZLCmB

The famous Ben Thành Market is where you can experience authentic local life. It is a wet market, food court and street market all in one.

While I was there, I watched the vendors make rice paper from scratch and grabbed a Banh mi (Vietnamese sandwich) for breakfast.

Food is so fresh that the plethora of fishes, frogs, and more sold there are mostly live.The more adventurous foodies can buy souvenirs like snake and scorpion wine or the famous Balut, which is an egg that is actually a developing duck embryo.

If the food court at Ben Thành Market is not to your liking, you can grab some comfort food in the form of pho at a nearby restaurant. Pho 2000 is just next to the market. The Vietnamese beef noodle soup restaurant prides itself on being the place that was once patronised by former US president Bill Clinton.

Get the best of branded bargain

DSC07521.JPG?itok=xEOEC7Th

The best place to hunt for luxury products is at Saigon Square. The shopping haven boasts factory rejects from luxury brands and some fakes. You need to have a keen eye and a lot of patience though.

I left the place empty-handed, and for those who have time to hunt for the best bargain in the maze. A tip is to make sure you know exactly what you want and how much it should cost.

How to get there

Many airlines fly to Ho Chi Minh from Singapore but VietJet Air has the cutest air stewards and stewardesses - just kidding.

With luxurious black leather seats, the budget airline offers two round trips per day from Singapore to Ho Chi Minh. You can generally purchase a return trip for under $200.

Meals on board were affordable so you won't have to worry about sneaking that sandwich on board to avoid getting ripped off when you have to pay for inflight food. A bowl of crab and shrimp noodles cost about $3.

The writer's trip was sponsored by Vietjet Air.

Guest Curious

And what aspect of the trip appeals to your gay instincts? What you've described beckons straight men and women who love cheap thrills,  cheap food and shopping.

Whilst I agree Vietnam is a quick, cheap and highly enjoyable destination, and that this article would be a good read for anyone who's never been there before....

There is nothing particularly gay about this article.

I was expecting comments on their saunas (there's a fantastic one in Ho Chi Minh City), night clubs (I've only been to the bar in Ha Noi, was okay), or local guys (passionate, caring, handsome local Vietnamese so eager to get to know you over Grindr, yet not interested to take your money or get you to pay for their meals).

7 hours ago, lovehandle said:

it must be fun right?
Many told me it s suffocatingly cramp? How long does it take to complete the tunnel? are u dirtied after it? no rats in it?

Yes it's fun! The tour guide let us try a sample tunnel (much bigger) and most of us went in. After that, he told me and my bf to try the actual size used during war. Really much smaller but the distance isn't very long, very manageable around a few mins. Those who are lean fit and below no problem, so long you aren't obese. My friend who's 180cm crawled too, no issue. I don't find it suffocating. Clothes not dirtied at all, only palms got soil cos I put my palms down while crawling to avoid touching my knees on the ground. Not sure how to explain this lol. Something like a baby crawl but knees not touching, that's how I did it. You can duck through if you want.

Go with your bf, you will find it more memorable. At night can shower together and cuddle to sleep. :redface:

• 2 weeks later...

just read this article.

no offence, but this is a horribly boring read.

this info could have been obtained from any guide book.

since the author has chosen to post this on a gay website, he should have made it more relevant to its readers. 

instead, the whole article sounded just an advertisement.

i certainly wouldn't miss this thread if the moderator removes it completely. in fact, i would strongly encourage it.

Edited by gc0805

I have stayed in Saigon for a year and I guess I know the place pretty well. As for extortion, I think it is not that serious. I have tried the masseur at pham ngu Lao and they did not charge me ridiculous rate. As a rule of thumb, I always think 200k dong is the minimum amount you should tip the boy for hand job service. In order to avoid being cheated, you must know some Vietnamese and know how to bargain. Always ask for the rate before you start your massage. One can try Eden massage at Thu duc. Message me if you want to know more about Saigon.

On 4.7.2016 at 1:08 PM, asiatrip61 said:

Going to Hanoi soon. Any massage and sauna recommendations? I know already HCMC. It's very cheap there. I love this country. Thanks for your feed back

Check "Utopia Asia"....it informs about gay places in Asia. Places which are not mentioned   on this site are in 105 Hong Ha Street and 6cDo Tham Da Street..there you pay 500 000VN Dong tip included (roughly 22USD), but don t forget to give an extra tip of 100 000 when in the cubicle. There is a thread about Hanoi massage places in "CFS"

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi guys I will be going to Ho Chi Minh from 10 to 14 August. just like to know if there are any locals who could bring me around? Or anyone who is familiar as well would be great. Any interesting things to do and see?  Especially gay related hehe. So far been to the no stess cafe that's quite nice and loud but more for the lesbian scene. Pm me let me know if ur going too. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • G_M changed the title to Vietnam - Massage / Sauna (Compiled)
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.