Male HQ

Cooking Curry Chicken

Uncle, be careful as curry makes you horny :twisted:

www.curry-recipes.net

http://www.curry-recipes.info/

http://www.curry-design.com/recipes%20/recipes.html

Thanks, but can I have something more Singaporean ? This seems to be an internatiopnal site, boy, you are right, uncle will get horny, but I am also horny even without curry ! Cheers and thanks for your information in advance.

Anyone can teach me how to cook nice curry chicken at home please ? I love to cook all curries including vegetable curry, fish curries, beef rendang, satay, etc.. would like to seek advice and talk to people whom likes cooking. Please advice. Thanks.

How come can cook all curries but cannot cook chicken curry? :blink:

If you can cook all sorts of curry, chicken curry should be easier.

May I ask if you start your curries from the powders and have them mixed yourself or you buy instant powder?

If you mix yourself, can you share the recipe?

If you buy, which is good? I am currently using A1 for fish curry... But my mum thinks it is a little 'indian' in flavour and I have to use a lot of vegetables (chillies, long beans, tomatos, ladies fingers and brinjals) to counter the taste...

Make from scratch very troublesome.... Powder type also not very fresh.

The best type is those pre mix curry paste. They can be found in the freezer section. But their expiry date is within days.

I have been buying a Curry paste from NTUC and most supermart, its name is call "Ah Hai". It should be in a plastic bag in the freezer section. Do be aware that this brand had another packing in boxes, which is powder form, but the difference is, the paste form is cooked with all required ingredient inside (ginger etc...) The bow powder form is not cook and need other ingredient.

I recommend this brand cause its the best amount all other I tried.

To cook chicken curry, here are my steps:

1. Pour oil into wok, I used Olive Oil

2. pour in the whole paste in one packet

3. Fry for 1 minute, put in Chicken. For this I recommend a medium size chicken. But chicken size is not of concern here as to the thickness of the curry.

4. Fry the chicken for about 7 minutes.

5. Pour a box packet of coconut milk (I used Kara, hence in box like those drink box) The amount of cocnut milk is up to individual, for more curry taste, put less, for more of a soupy curry, use more. For health conscious people, you can put less, and add water, or even totally use milk.

6. Cook until the chicken is cooked, add sambal, depending on how hot you like.

Now, some people have different idea of how cooked a chicken must be, some dun like it over-cooked, where chicken breast meat turns very hard, some like it very cook-ed.

One warning on using milk, it will not be as good as coconut milk at all. Coconut milk isn't that bad, after the medical world put a reverse on the research on coconut milk and discover it is not the culprit of high bad colestrode.

It's just me.... Asura... don't fear, but be very afraid....

This is similar to the way i cook curry chicken also. I like to simmer it till the meat is soft and tender.

And sometimes, i used only drumsticks cos the meat is more tender. And i may also add in a chicken cube to make it more salty.

If you mix yourself, can you share the recipe?

If you buy, which is good?

Another brand that you might want to try is Baba - there's one for meat. Also, there's the powder for fish/seafood.

The only thing that I would mix to the powder is ground onion. Usually would stir fry slices of shallot for the fragrance before throwing in the mixed powder.

Let me live my life to be an instrument of 'Love'

in how I speak, in how I see others.

- May there be Love and Peace beyond all understanding -

Guest Baloo (forgot to sign in...)

dunno if i am totally outdated... i use Eurthen POt (spelling) curry power premix.

however, it's not the only thing i use...

i dun use olive oil to cook anything... olive oil has a very low treshold for heat, and the composition will change. into something else. so you think you eating healthy with fried olive oil.. think again... but who wants to live forever anyway... so gook away!!

back to topic...

i use peanut oil. and i fry in the shallots... oh... 2 handfulls at least, and fry till it's fragrant... add chopped garlic a little bit and slow fry some more... then 2 teaspons or more of freshly ground chilli + chilli padi + dried chilli... and fry... and the smell... must attack you before you do anything else hahaha...

all the above in slow fire and hot oil.

den you add in the curry powder... about 4 teaspoons of it ba... not too much... and about a cup of water after you sure the powder is fully incorporated into the mix...

den you put in the chicken pieces and wif the same level of fire, slow fry.. turning very regularly so all the chicken pieces are curried... best to have chicken cut to smaller pieces, and sometimes i even remove the bones...

on the side you can preboil a few potatoes to your preferred level of softness, drain and cool... (maybe done before you start cooking the curry chicken)

once you feel the chicken meat is about 80% cooked, you can add in the potatoes

oh i never mentioned amount of chicken... haha it wud be a whole medium sized chicken. or ard that weight breast meat, or tigh meat, etc. up to you...

so you fry fry fry... do you need coconut milk or cow milk? no need... just plain dry curry... very nice... almost like rendang...

once meat is cooked kill the fire and let simmer a little bit... if it was too dry during cooking add a little water to wet it up, a bit at a time... dun let chicken swim in the sauce...else it wun taste as intense... haha

this purposely lose and free... and allows for individual experimenting and taste.

curry chicken cannot add salt... it ruins the spice... try a very small teaspoon or two of light soy sauce instead at the end... you will appreciate the difference...

:)

dunno if i am totally outdated... i use Eurthen POt (spelling) curry power premix.

however, it's not the only thing i use...

i dun use olive oil to cook anything... olive oil has a very low treshold for heat, and the composition will change. into something else. so you think you eating healthy with fried olive oil.. think again... but who wants to live forever anyway... so gook away!!

back to topic...

i use peanut oil. and i fry in the shallots... oh... 2 handfulls at least, and fry till it's fragrant... add chopped garlic a little bit and slow fry some more... then 2 teaspons or more of freshly ground chilli + chilli padi + dried chilli... and fry... and the smell... must attack you before you do anything else hahaha...

all the above in slow fire and hot oil.

den you add in the curry powder... about 4 teaspoons of it ba... not too much... and about a cup of water after you sure the powder is fully incorporated into the mix...

den you put in the chicken pieces and wif the same level of fire, slow fry.. turning very regularly so all the chicken pieces are curried... best to have chicken cut to smaller pieces, and sometimes i even remove the bones...

on the side you can preboil a few potatoes to your preferred level of softness, drain and cool... (maybe done before you start cooking the curry chicken)

once you feel the chicken meat is about 80% cooked, you can add in the potatoes

oh i never mentioned amount of chicken... haha it wud be a whole medium sized chicken. or ard that weight breast meat, or tigh meat, etc. up to you...

so you fry fry fry... do you need coconut milk or cow milk? no need... just plain dry curry... very nice... almost like rendang...

once meat is cooked kill the fire and let simmer a little bit... if it was too dry during cooking add a little water to wet it up, a bit at a time... dun let chicken swim in the sauce...else it wun taste as intense... haha

this purposely lose and free... and allows for individual experimenting and taste.

curry chicken cannot add salt... it ruins the spice... try a very small teaspoon or two of light soy sauce instead at the end... you will appreciate the difference...

:)

I think you know a lot and don't mind if I can learn from you a bit :-

1) So you mean olive oil is good when eaten without been heated like desert dressing but will change it's compostion on heating/flying ? Would it change into harmful composition ?

2) Is peanut oil the most delicious compared to other oil when cooking Spore curry ?

3) Do you add sugar to the curry ?

4) Have you ever try using soya bean instead of milk or coconut milk ?

5) So you mean just 4 teaspoon of curry power ( 1 type ) will do ? No need to mix here and there ?

I will try your curry cooking and let you know.

Genius !!

Use curry paste better. Cos if you use curry powder only, only the powder.

Curry paste is already premix. Besides curry powder, got lemon grass, turmeric, ginger, other spices etc. So more fragrant as compared to using only curry powder.

Guest curry lover

Agreed. Use curry paste better. You can buy from wet market. tell them its for curry chicken cos if beef or mutton the mix is slightly different.

Use a pot and stir fry the paste with some oil then add in the chicken and stir fry till chicken are all coated with the curry paste. Add in potatoes(some people like to preboil the potatoes but not necessary), stir a while then add in the concentrated coconut milk then add in water. Add light soya sauce to taste.

Simple way to cook but still as yummy. :P

Guest hotcurry boyz
Lemongrass with curry... won't it make the curry taste a little funny?...  :huh:

Hmm... Think I might wanna try cooking curry if I dun have any programmes for day... :P

yes its true, some curry paste do have lemongrass. I believe everyone has their way of cooking home made curry. . . sharing mine too...( I love my curry with more gravy so i can dip into my favourite sharp-head-bread) hence i add more curry paste for flavour. Items 2-5 are to enhance the taste of the curry as the spices in Hai's paste usually not sufficient.

1. 2 HAI's curry paste (plastic-box packaging)

2. 10 small chilli padi (Finely chopped with blender or cleaver)

3. 10-15 shallots (chopped with blender or cleaver)

4. 2 stalk of lemon grass (cut into half)

5. 20 curry leaves(optional)

6. 5-7 potatoes

7. chicken about 700gms - 1kg

8. about 800-1000ml of heng guan coconut milk or carnation milk. (half coconut and half carnation milk is fine too)

9. 1000ml hot water

10. salt to taste

heat wok or pot

add about 6-8 tablespoon of oil (60-80 ml)

Fry item 1-5 for about 10minutes till fragrant stirring constantly (or until your mum starts sneezing)

add chicken and fry for 3-5 minutes

add cocunut milk stir, then add 1000ml hot water

add potatoes and boil for 10-15 minutes

add salt to taste, turn off fire...

close lid and let curry sit for 1hour before u dig, the potatoes will turn soft by then.

ENJOY!!! :thumb:

Anybody tried, do let me know if you like :)

Lemongrass with curry... won't it make the curry taste a little funny?...? :huh:

Hmm... Think I might wanna try cooking curry if I dun have any programmes for day... :P

yes its true, some curry paste do have lemongrass. I believe everyone has their way of cooking home made curry. . . sharing mine too...( I love my curry with more gravy so i can dip into my favourite sharp-head-bread) hence i add more curry paste for flavour. Items 2-5 are to enhance the taste of the curry as the spices in Hai's paste usually not sufficient.

1. 2 HAI's curry paste (plastic-box packaging)

2. 10 small chilli padi (Finely chopped with blender or cleaver)

3. 10-15 shallots (chopped with blender or cleaver)

4. 2 stalk of lemon grass (cut into half)

5. 20 curry leaves(optional)

6. 5-7 potatoes

7. chicken about 700gms - 1kg

8. about 800-1000ml of heng guan coconut milk or carnation milk. (half coconut and half carnation milk is fine too)

9. 1000ml hot water

10. salt to taste

heat wok or pot

add about 6-8 tablespoon of oil (60-80 ml)

Fry item 1-5 for about 10minutes till fragrant stirring constantly (or until your mum starts sneezing)

add chicken and fry for 3-5 minutes

add cocunut milk stir, then add 1000ml hot water

add potatoes and boil for 10-15 minutes

add salt to taste, turn off fire...

close lid and let curry sit for 1hour before u dig, the potatoes will turn soft by then.

ENJOY!!! :thumb:

Anybody tried, do let me know if you like :)

COOL!!!!

Hmm... I should re-look at lemongrass... :)

Maybe can buy some back home and prepare lemongrass tea to get use to its flavour...

Anyway, all these curries mentioned here are Nonya curries? Or more towards Indian flavours?

If you buy curry paste, the lemon grass ingredients is already mixed inside.

If you are doing from scratch, just add a little only. Too much will overcome the curry flavor.

I really would like to thank all the people whom taught me and share with me how to cook curry, this weekend we have anotehr home party and I will cook Beef Stew, Pork Bone Ribs, Sashimi, and some chicken ball and vegetables steam boat. Some beer and Osake perhaps. Follow by watching Japanese matured video.

I think you know a lot and don't mind if I can learn from you a bit :-

1) So you mean olive oil is good when eaten without been heated like desert dressing but will change it's compostion on heating/flying ? Would it change into harmful composition ?

2) Is peanut oil the most delicious compared to other oil when cooking Spore curry ?

3) Do you add sugar to the curry ?

4) Have you ever try using soya bean instead of milk or coconut milk ?

5) So you mean just 4 teaspoon of curry power ( 1 type ) will do ? No need to mix here and there ?

I will try your curry cooking and let you know.

Genius !!

1. Yes olive oil is good in its natural state... heating it does alter its composition/structure especially if it reaches its rather low boiling point.

2. Peanut oil is my personal favourite, followed by corn oil... but that's just me. Others like sunflower oil, palm oil, whatever. it's just to personal preference and taste. I do not know what is the 'standard' when cooking 'singapore' curry... i only know my own curry haha...

3. Sugar to the curry... you could if you wanted. there is no hard and fast rule in cooking... personally, i don't... i also dun add salt... go figure :) but there's nothing to say you cannot add whatever you want... just remember what you did, and the corresponding result to the dish... who knows, yours may taste better!

4. I dun use soy bean milk, or whatever... i like original... not substitutes... wherever possible. call me a purist.. or stupid... it's just me... you can always try.

5. I believe Earthern Pot is already a pre-mix powder... i forgot to mention... haha... sorry... but I do add... I add my own shallots, chilli paste, etc to fry up ...

Genius? not me... me kind of like Retard... a better and more accurate name methinks...

oh you tokking abt yourself? yes you are genius!!

:clap:

Baloo, you are right.

But than I had brought up this matter with a dietician and nutritionist about olive oil low heat treshold, she was telling me, its still better than using some vegetable oil and worst, peanut and animal oil.

There was many articles available on the internet regarding olive oil (wiki had the most comprehensive and also talks about the method of extraction).

But the general idea of using olive oil, even using it for stir fry, will enhance the level of good colestrode in the body (can read on why is a high level of good colestrode is good). But for cookingm normal or last grade olive oil is recommended. Avoid using extra virgin or virgin olive oil, which is more better when eaten as uncooked.

It's just me.... Asura... don't fear, but be very afraid....

• 3 weeks later...

this is the authentic way to cooking chicken curry:

preparation:

cut few tomatoes in small pieces ( nos depends on no of serving)

chop few curry leaves

chop one full onion

few corriander leaves

smash some ginger and garlic

clean and cut chicken

heat the oil in the pan

once the oil is hot add some mustards, cloves, bay leaves and curry leaves

then add onion and ginger and garlic

when the onion turned light brown, add tomato and cook until its well mashed.

add curry powder and salt to taste.

add chicken and little bit of water and close the pan for 5 minutes.

remove the pan and test the chicken cooked

then add the coconut cream(optional) and cook for few minutes and thats it

dont cook for lont time with the coconut cream coz the cream can disintegrate.

u can also add some potatoes if u want.

try this now, believe me it will taste great, if not i'll give a BJ for free :D

They Laugh at me coz iam different, but I laugh at them coz they all are same

preparation:

chop few curry leaves

chop one full onion

few corriander leaves

clean and cut chicken

heat the oil in the pan

Thanks fpr your recipee. I have curry power stored for maybe more than 1 year, can I still eat it ? Normally how long can and should a curry power last ? Or rather after how long it should not be eaten ?

preparation:

chop few curry leaves

chop one full onion

few corriander leaves

clean and cut chicken

heat the oil in the pan

Thanks fpr your recipee. I have curry power stored for maybe more than 1 year, can I still eat it ? Normally how long can and should a curry power last ? Or rather after how long it should not be eaten ?

Curry powder should be used within 3 months if stored properly in air tight container, otherwise it looses all its flavour and tastes like mud. Just taste a bit of powder, if it still has the sharp aroma and taste, can use it , otherwise its good to throw it away than spoil the dish using it. It is not advisable to use if its more than 6 months old

They Laugh at me coz iam different, but I laugh at them coz they all are same

preparation:

chop few curry leaves

chop one full onion

few corriander leaves

clean and cut chicken

heat the oil in the pan

Curry powder should be used within 3 months if stored properly in air tight container, otherwise it looses all its flavour and tastes like mud. Just taste a bit of powder, if it still has the sharp aroma and taste, can use it , otherwise its good to throw it away than spoil the dish using it. It is not advisable to use if its more than 6 months old

I see, tomorrow then I shall throw them away as they are some 6 years!

• 3 years later...

I was watching MasterChef Australia and I came across this. They are cooking fish curry but the base can be used for chicken as well. Thought I should just post it here for reference.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amnvid0Yd5A&t=4m5s

skip to 4:05 to start

Tried to put part 2 video here but it says 'Sorry, but you have posted more media files than you are allowed to'

Ohh well......

Part 2 here

That awkward moment when you say goodbye and then walk in the same direction...

Great advice and recipes from all who posted on this thread, really makes me want to have a bowl of chicken curry and rice right now!

I haven't cooked curry in ages but I don't think one should use olive oil- this is great for salads and pasta, grilling etc but it also imparts its own flavour which might not be best for local curry (as opposed to a western-style chicken stew for example)

Do also let the curry 'rest' in the pot for a few hours after cooking and don't serve str8 away- helps to enhance the flavour of the curry overall.

• 2 months later...
Guest Marad44
I am so sad, can someone tell me where to buy/get curry paste in Tokyo?

はじめまして (hajimemashite - greetings) DOM, the recipes the guys have submitted are fantastic. And I am sure you have tried the Japanese 'House' and 'S&B' curry sauce cubes as well as well as the pre-made curry in vacuum-sealed pouches - handy when you are in a hurry.

You may throw in more turmeric, hot pepper and tomato paste to add extra antioxidant and taste to the curry. A good coverage on Japanese curry is at http://en.wikipedia..../Japanese_curry. ゆっくり 食事を 味わって ください ね!(yukkuri shokujiwo ajiwatte kudasai ne! - relax & enjoy your meal!)

Edited by Marad44

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.