Male HQ

Will You Take Certain Things From Your Already Paid For Hotel?

IkuTube

Recently, during my long stay in a Hotel, the house-keeping maid kindly asked why didn't I take away certain things, certain toiletries items like shampoo, conditioner, soaps, shaving kit, tooth paste.  She made perfect sense as these were already paid-for free items.  She even asked me to keep them away daily those sachets of coffee, tea and sugar, and all the toiletries items as they were replenished every day.

There was kindness in her voice.  She said "give them to others when you go back".  It touched me and made me to re-think.  I used to take some of these items till I read Louise Hay's books.  According to her, taking things that aren't yours will only manifest in one's life. 

Though such things are (technically) paid-for, would you take them even if you do not need them?

Click Here To Visit My Blog @ "The Blessed Life"

*Let me live my life to be an instrument of 'Love', in how I speak and in how I see others*

- May there be Love and Peace beyond all understanding -

In the few occasions I get to stay in a top class hotel I sometimes will take the left-over shower gel n shampoo. The last time was in Tokyo where the toiletries were Verbena by LOccitane. Just love that fresh lemony scent so much I bought a large bottle on my return.

I do agree things like soaps n shampoos r factored into the hotel's room rate n I hv no qualms in taking what's left.

Technically, you already paid for the things, so shouldn't consider those things that are not yours. Unless you are taking the pillows and mattress. :yuk:

If you are not going to use the stuffs (whether it is for consumption or plain display), then, don't have to take them even if you've paid for it.

I do not know if they are obligated to throw away the unused packets of tea etc at the last day (perhaps due to possible contamination or sabotage?). It might end up in the bin if you don't take it anyway. Will cheeky guest poke holes in condoms and leave it in the room for the next unaware guest?

On the flip side, hotels are more than happy for you to take "memorabilia" like soaps, shaving kits, slippers back, simply in a marketing standpoint, it makes a memory even when you are at home and have a physical reminder that you will have a subconscious tendency to go back and spend at the same place. When the memorabilia becomes a talking point when someone visits your place, it generates word-of-mouth for new guest to spend on their establishment (on the assumption you wouldn't keep something you don't like).

An example, like Hyatt promotes their beds as heavenly beds. But how do you relate a bed to someone else? If you have a specific brand of xxx hotel bath gel, someone might ask you, hey why you smell so nice ah. Where did you buy that soap from?

On a cost to the hotelier point of view, how much do you pay retail for a big box of tea, divided by the number of packets per box. One bottle of bath soap is equals to how many small bottles they can make out of it. Don't forget they do it in bulk orders directly from their manufacturer. Now, taking home the LED TV in the room is another matter :whistle:

Guest Namaste

I read somewhere that we should earn more good karma by collecting these freebies even if you dont need them...consolidate them in bulk and then donate them to those in need. Namaste

I read somewhere that we should earn more good karma by collecting these freebies even if you dont need them...consolidate them in bulk and then donate them to those in need. Namaste

Yup, I think this is a good idea.  Was chatting with a friend and she told me some old age homes do want such things.

Guess when there's an avenue where these free things can be channelled to makes so much sense to take the freebies.  But, to take them just because they are free and nice but clueless when to use them, is only adding on clutter to the house - even if those things do not consume much space.  Imagine the stocks if you frequently travel!

*Let me live my life to be an instrument of 'Love', in how I speak and in how I see others*

I would take if toiletries provided (usually from boutique or expensive hotels) are nice and unique for sovenier or can be useful when you stay in a budget hotel as they usually don't give you nice toiletries.

On a cost to the hotelier point of view, how much do you pay retail for a big box of tea, divided by the number of packets per box. One bottle of bath soap is equals to how many small bottles they can make out of it. Don't forget they do it in bulk orders directly from their manufacturer. Now, taking home the LED TV in the room is another matter :whistle:

Yup, on a commercial operations, these items are costed as "breakage".  In that sense, hotels indirectly expecting that their guests will take them.

Oh, you will never know what some guests will take when they checked-out.  I have a friend who works in a hotel and told about a guest that cut out the carpet under the bed to bring home!

My recent stay in KL , my partner and myself left two crystals goblets and a crystal decanter by Bohemia Crystals for the chamber maids apart from cash. We think that was the best thing to leave behind after we bought and used them during our stay. I rarely take toiletries unless they are from Penhaligons or Molton Brown.

Not if i dont need/use them.

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

never argue with the guests. let them bark all they want.

结缘不结

不解缘

After I have said what I wanna say, I don't care what you say.

看穿不说穿

I don't always get to stay in 5* hotels, so if I do and the bathroom sets are nice, I take those items which I can keep for a trip where the lodgings may not provide, e.g. Shaving kit, sewing kit, cotton wool, shampoo and bath gel. Especially cos I often travel with just a carry on bag, the small bottles can pass thru airport security. I leave the emery boards etc that is women's stuff.

Some tier 2/3 PRC cities have hotels that also supply bathroom amenities, but I look at the PRC made stuff and I shudder. Usually the shampoo n gel don't lather up well. I'm also not putting that toothpaste in my mouth.

Toiletries are fine.

Other than that they are technically paid for, any hotel who would re-use toiletries would  :blink:  me.

I definitely wouldn't want them to repackage someone else's toothbrush or soap bar, and put it to my room.

“Do not take life too seriously. You’ll never get out of it alive.” — Elbert Hubbard

Once when staying at the Pan Pacific hotel in Bangkok (now the Crowne Plaza) I was asked at checkout if I had taken a bathrobe! I said of course I had nt. They said one was missing, the implication being they did nt believe me. I offered to open my case n was really surprised when they agreed. Of course there was nothing there. I said I wanted one of their staff to go with me immediately to the room to prove there were still 2 bathrobes. They wld nt do so. I said Id never stay again - and never did!

My recent stay in KL , my partner and myself left two crystals goblets and a crystal decanter by Bohemia Crystals for the chamber maids apart from cash. We think that was the best thing to leave behind after we bought and used them during our stay. I rarely take toiletries unless they are from Penhaligons or Molton Brown.

When you leave specific items for the staff like the crystal decanters etc do give them a note along with the items. As a hotel security policy any item given by a guest must be accompanied by a note to say it had been given to them.  Otherwise it can be misconstrued as theft from a guest room.

it is okay to take the shampoos, soaps etc as these are expendable items. Even bedroom slippers are fine to take away. The hotels...at least the good ones...will replace them even if there is a suspicion of it being used. For example, the soaps that come in in paper wrappers...if the wrapper is wet, the soap will be replaced. Most of the time it is discarded even if it is still good. Or if replaced because of the wrapper condition, the soap will be used by the staff in their lockers for their showers or used in staff toilets. But there is only so much soap one can use. So most are thrown away.

As for the containers, some hotels now have a recycling programme where the containers are recycled by returning them to the supplier to be reused.

It is the big costly items like bath towels, robes that the hotels feel the pinch when taken away.

i know as I work in the hotel industry.

I don't take any of those back. In fact, I don't even want to use those stuff.

When I go with my friend last time overseas, less than 15 mins after entering the room, all the stuff my friend kuppo into the lugguage bag. I just roll eye....

some ppl love to collect.

But some ppl are hungry ghost..... floating around...

I will, every time i stay in hotel, i will take one full set of toiletries, for own souvenir collection purpose.

even key card, i will request upon check out, if front desk allowed, can take.

coffee n tea, usually i will consume during my hotel stay,

these basic amenities are for guest usage, i would take home.

but please don't learn the PRC style ya... ...clean dustbin plastic bag they also took,

Me, I'd usually take only the hand lotion.  That's the one item that is of use to me.  My boyfriend on the other hand collects keycards, so on check-out, I'll always request one for him.  The best was Westin, the duty manager gave him a full set of all the designs.

I have come across some terrible people too - there was a wedding couple that actually managed to pinch the table lamp, ALL the hangers and throw pillows, together with  with them.  I got to know about it because they took it from my regular suite, and when I checked-in, the hotel had to give me the next-door suite instead (whilst looking into replacing all the missing decor!)  

Instagram @the_meowprince

Me, I'd usually take only the hand lotion. That's the one item that is of use to me. My boyfriend on the other hand collects keycards, so on check-out, I'll always request one for him. The best was Westin, the duty manager gave him a full set of all the designs.

I have come across some terrible people too - there was a wedding couple that actually managed to pinch the table lamp, ALL the hangers and throw pillows, together with with them. I got to know about it because they took it from my regular suite, and when I checked-in, the hotel had to give me the next-door suite instead (whilst looking into replacing all the missing decor!)

Luckily, the wedding couple did not remove the bed and furniture to decorate their house. Shameless man and woman and pity their future kids if any.

5-star hotels have nice toiletries. I also take their pens and stationery (you wouldn't know when you need them while traveling).

Ok, ok.. there were some instance when I also took the tissue paper (very handy especially if you have a long flight ahead. hahaha).

Together with the beautiful tissue box?? Tsk tsk tsk

• Guest locked, unlocked and locked this topic