Male HQ

Have You Been Called Uncle + When Do You Feel Old? + How Old To Be An Uncle? (Compiled)

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

To a young 20s, 40s is uncle n 60s is grandpa.

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

never argue with the guests. let them bark all they want.

结缘不结

不解缘

After I have said what I wanna say, I don't care what you say.

看穿不说穿

• 5 months later...
On 08/08/2016 at 12:34 AM, Guest Neh Neh said:

Generally a married straight guy with child or children is called "uncle" by younger siblings. A married straight women with child or children is called "auntie" by younger siblings.

So i think "uncle" this word does not apply to gay men :) 

For gay men look older than you, should call then "Mr." If he looks younger than or around same age as you, you should call him "bro".

Or sis.

:P

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

never argue with the guests. let them bark all they want.

结缘不结

不解缘

After I have said what I wanna say, I don't care what you say.

看穿不说穿

On 8/7/2016 at 11:34 AM, Guest Neh Neh said:

Generally a married straight guy with child or children is called "uncle" by younger siblings. A married straight women with child or children is called "auntie" by younger siblings.

So i think "uncle" this word does not apply to gay men :) 

For gay men look older than you, should call then "Mr." If he looks younger than or around same age as you, you should call him "bro".

Strange!  Never heard of calling older siblings "uncle" or "aunt" if they are married and have children.

Normally WE are uncles if we have any sibling with a child.  But then it is up to THIS CHILD to call us "uncle", not the rest of the world.

Your reasons for calling others "Mr." or "bro" are equally strange.

If you dont like the person u can call him uncle to piss him off. You can also called younger guys in their 20s as uncle and they will equally be piss off. If you want to be respectful to others than dont call them uncles or aunties. In singapore the polite way of calling a strangers is Mr or Ms and Sir or Madam. When you piss others with name calling that others dont like, you are not giving the respect a person deserve and hate and anger will grow out of it. Have some empathy and you will not do such things ever again. You can easily see a person personality with their words. If you are going to date a guy, you are better off dating a person who will be respectful of others and can think in other people shoes.

Edited by yoyo74

Surprisingly when i was a child , my dad said it's rude to call older ppl by names so he taught me to call them "uncle" or "auntie". But when i started to work ,this old aunties so call bitches in my office prefer me to call them by name n not auntie. Worst still this auntie who has retired compared her age with my mum which is years apart n said call me by name bcoz she is younger than my mum. I was like WTF.

To me i feel more happy if the younger ones call me "uncle". The respect is there.

Edited by cutejack

1 hour ago, cutejack said:

Surprisingly when i was a child , my dad said it's rude to call older ppl by names so he taught me to call them "uncle" or "auntie". But when i started to work ,this old aunties so call bitches in my office prefer me to call them by name n not auntie. Worst still this auntie who has retired compared her age with my mum which is years apart n said call me by name bcoz she is younger than my mum. I was like WTF.

To me i feel more happy if the younger ones call me "uncle". The respect is there.

Hi Uncle JACK, still act CUTE izzit?

I ever encountered in the coffeeshop .... the kopi guy (late 50s or 60) who is older than me (40s) addressed me as uncle ... I was like .... huh??

Strange!! Cannot really comprehend ... :frustrated:

• 3 months later...
Guest Auntie Olivia
On 28/06/2017 at 1:03 AM, Guest Mr White said:

I almost smack in the face a guy in a bus today going to Clementi. The bus was crowded and i was standing. when the guy came in, he told me “Uncle! Uncle! Please move to the rear end more”. I’m just in my early 40s to be called an Uncle.

Excuse me! If you are already in 40s, you are already an uncle. Even of you are in early 20s and you look like an uncle then you are an uncle.

14 minutes ago, xcuez86 said:

So is there mature guys here ? :) I like 

many but...........u may have to state your preferences as there r all sort of uncles

have to start accepting once above 35yo, very likely to be addressed as one

shared elsewhere that my Aunt who is close to 80yo called the men all uncles

Hawker grandpas or granduncles (much older) also addressed all men above the age I mentioned above as uncles too

While I was in the service line, many Caucasians never once connect our relationship by blood, they all addressed as "Thank u sir" ...sir, could u pls......

though I m supposed to serve them

Ageism  stereotypes and discriminates based on age. However casually used, 'uncle' reinforces prejudicial attitudes towards older people and perpetuates stigmatisation. The ignorant laugh it off and claim it is a term of affection or respect (e.g. professionally inept Mediacorp channels); yet they do not use it in situations where real respect is required, say, to address people of importance or in power.

The ignorant use 'uncle' as a coping mechanism to deal with their own fearful thoughts of death and disability. By segregating and rejecting older people, they avoid thoughts of their own mortality. Result: prevalent systemic discrimination that is passive and covert. :whistle:

59 minutes ago, Cube3 said:

Ageism  stereotypes and discriminates based on age. However casually used, 'uncle' reinforces prejudicial attitudes towards older people and perpetuates stigmatisation. The ignorant laugh it off and claim it is a term of affection or respect (e.g. professionally inept Mediacorp channels); yet they do not use it in situations where real respect is required, say, to address people of importance or in power.

The ignorant use 'uncle' as a coping mechanism to deal with their own fearful thoughts of death and disability. By segregating and rejecting older people, they avoid thoughts of their own mortality. Result: prevalent systemic discrimination that is passive and covert. :whistle:

copying yes, following everyone blindly by using that term - Yes

but I don't think they feel good calling or segregating older pp and hence implying rejecting, they are not rejecting

eg I mentioned many aunties and older ones called younger ones as UNcLEs too ......

5 hours ago, Guest Auntie Olivia said:

Excuse me! If you are already in 40s, you are already an uncle. Even of you are in early 20s and you look like an uncle then you are an uncle.

My friends 30yo already being called uncle in the lift or outside. Kids these days are all like that, either uncle or auntie to someone older than them. You think they will call 大哥 大姐 issit

On 6/28/2017 at 9:48 AM, TwoChnBTMs said:

uncle here...worst is those fat aunties, calls me uncle...so pissed off...i never patronise them again

Yes, some hawker centre stall owners or assistants, obviously older than me by 10 years but call me uncle! I think the more tactful ones will call ‘大哥’ or ‘老板’.

Guest 小苹果
8 minutes ago, Ben Ben Ben said:

I got china female colleague called other males guy 小哥

All local guys and gals almost fainted when everyone heard 小哥

讨厌,你怎么笑人家嘛!

On 28/06/2017 at 1:03 AM, Guest Mr White said:

I almost smack in the face a guy in a bus today going to Clementi. The bus was crowded and i was standing. when the guy came in, he told me “Uncle! Uncle! Please move to the rear end more”. I’m just in my early 40s to be called an Uncle.

You'd rather he call you "fucker" instead?

You are like those lao zar bor who get all offended when they are called "auntie".

When I was in my 30s, my friends' kids already called me "uncle", and it never bothered me. 

I fear the day will come when I am "promoted" from  Uncle to "Ah Gong".

Actually my niece has children, so officially I'm an Ah Gong...大叔公。

So I am VERY happy when someone call me UNCLE rather than Ah Gong.

**二叔公 is a colloquialism for Pawn Shops....

**三叔公 is my favourite brand of cookies and titbits in Malaysia.

21 minutes ago, abang said:

I fear the day will come when I am "promoted" from  Uncle to "Ah Gong".

Actually my niece has children, so officially I'm an Ah Gong...大叔公。

So I am VERY happy when someone call me UNCLE rather than Ah Gong.

**二叔公 is a colloquialism for Pawn Shops....

**三叔公 is my favourite brand of cookies and titbits in Malaysia.

I am 舅舅already 

9 hours ago, Ben Ben Ben said:

I got china female colleague called other males guy 小哥

All local guys and gals almost fainted when everyone heard 小哥

Actually, "小哥" is quite a respectful term for an older woman to call a younger man whom she regards fairly well.

If you watch from 19:00 onwards in the video below, Guo Fu calls Yelu Qi "大哥", but when Huang Rong addresses him, she calls him "小哥" as she is obviously his senior.

Incidentally, both ladies think highly of Yelu Qi, and if you know the story, you will know where that led to  :P

Anyway, I think "小哥" is a very nice, respectful term to use. Pity I've never heard it used in S'pore before.  :D

Edited by CKW

21 hours ago, -Ignored- said:

copying yes, following everyone blindly by using that term - Yes

but I don't think they feel good calling or segregating older pp and hence implying rejecting, they are not rejecting

eg I mentioned many aunties and older ones called younger ones as UNcLEs too ......

Discriminatory language, whether intentional, always adds to the cycle of abuse. If age, ethnicity, gender or sexual orientation etc. is not relevant, why is it highlighted or emphasised?

'Chinks', when used by white people, belittle and trivialise the Chinese and their experiences. 'Faggots', when used by straight people, demean and devalue LGBTQs, and so on. If we are not aware of such use of discriminatory language, how can we do away with discrimination and its damaging effects?

Don't straight people also say, when we get discriminated against: "...copying yes, following everyone blindly by using that term - yes, but I don't think they feel good calling or segregating gay pp and hence implying rejecting, they are not rejecting..." :(

13 hours ago, Guest Sucks said:

Is there any symbolic Uncle feature for gay compared to straight! What is the differential statics!

Gay uncle more fit, wear tight, more flamboyant with dyed hair style. 

Straight uncle are just the typical uncle, with glasses, a tee and jean. 

Don't read and response to guests' post

9 hours ago, LeanMature said:

Very true.  Straight uncles look like uncles.  When they are married to an auntie, she would hate to have him look younger than her, so straight uncles should better look older and "distinguished".

Gay uncles don't have such restriction.  With good health and skills, a gay uncle can (should) look at least 10 years younger than the straight counterpart.

I am quite senior, but I have no need to look like a grandpa,  although I could even be a grand-grandpa, haha.  A gay grandpa can (should) look 15 to 20 years younger than the straight counterpart.

Edited by Steve5380

10 hours ago, friendlyboy said:

My friends and I are mid twenties to 30s. We call anyone 30 and above uncle 

My friends and I are church-goers. We call anyone who might post on BW faggot...but in a friendly way :whistle:

21 hours ago, LeanMature said:

really? gay uncles don't wear tee and jeans/berms? those that need glasses?

Maybe must stand outside modelling co. ie CRUISE to take a photo survey
Specs has nothing to do with gayness & then grown older right?

1 hour ago, -Ignored- said:

really? gay uncles don't wear tee and jeans/berms? those that need glasses?

Maybe must stand outside modelling co. ie CRUISE to take a photo survey
Specs has nothing to do with gayness & then grown older right?

Did I say gay uncles don't wear tee and jeans ?  

Don't read and response to guests' post

My nieces gave birth. Their kids call me ''Atuk'' (Grandfather). 28 of them. They have a sexy Atuk :D:lol:

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

善待对人。麻烦用英文来表达信息。不是每个人都会看的懂中文 “People need to learn the art of making an argument. Often there is no

right or wrong. It's just your opinion vs someone else's opinion. How you deliver that opinion could make the difference between opening a mind,

changing an opinion or shutting the door. Sometimes folk just don't know when they've "argued" enough. Learn when to shut up."

― J'son M. Lee 

• G_M changed the title to Have You Been Called Uncle + When Do You Feel Old? + How Old To Be An Uncle? (Compiled)
  • G_M locked and locked this topic
  • G_M unlocked this topic
  • G_M locked this topic