Male HQ

Have You Been Called Uncle + When Do You Feel Old? + How Old To Be An Uncle? (Compiled)

Guest 何腰擅
15 hours ago, -Ignored- said:
  • so confusing loh

bespectacled - yummy!

how do we know seductive?cos must have encounters before

Somebody obviously failed in English comprehension.

Take your stupidity somewhere else. It is no good here. ON EARTH

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

23 hours ago, Cube3 said:

My friends and I are church-goers. We call anyone who might post on BW faggot...but in a friendly way :whistle:

Church has so many closeted cuties haha I don't tell anyone I post on BW, when i mentioned BW, people say it's for old bitter queens, they weren't friendly about it :mellow:

3 hours ago, friendlyboy said:

Church has so many closeted cuties haha I don't tell anyone I post on BW, when i mentioned BW, people say it's for old bitter queens, they weren't friendly about it :mellow:

Exactly. So we shouldn't add to any unnecessarily negative vibes...then this tiny island (and BW) can become a fairer, kinder place. A place where anyone who might be older, poorer, less cute, more closeted, or discriminated and disadvantaged like LGBTQs, can be respected and not feel demeaned or despised.:B)

18 hours ago, Cube3 said:

Exactly. So we shouldn't add to any unnecessarily negative vibes...then this tiny island (and BW) can become a fairer, kinder place. A place where anyone who might be older, poorer, less cute, more closeted, or discriminated and disadvantaged like LGBTQs, can be respected and not feel demeaned or despised.:B)

I'm sorry, do you perceive uncle is a negative term? Or what? Because my friends all call themselves uncle when they're only late twenties and they love uncles..

8 minutes ago, friendlyboy said:

I'm sorry, do you perceive uncle is a negative term? Or what? Because my friends all call themselves uncle when they're only late twenties and they love uncles..

They love uncles or love to be called uncles ?

Don't read and response to guests' post

6 hours ago, friendlyboy said:

It is not just my perception. It is part of civic standards held by many universities and educated societies all over the world.

When you say what you say (as above), you may not realise you are using denigrating or patronising language. In Australia, for example, it is inappropriate to use words like 'gran' for an older person if there is no established familiarity between speaker and addressee. This is because it 'allows' the speaker to treat the addressee in a dismissive way., without everyday courtesy and civility.

Older people - even only in their late twenties - are lessened and trivialised. Age ends up being a yardstick of a person's value. :B)

10 hours ago, Cube3 said:

It is not just my perception. It is part of civic standards held by many universities and educated societies all over the world.

When you say what you say (as above), you may not realise you are using denigrating or patronising language. In Australia, for example, it is inappropriate to use words like 'gran' for an older person if there is no established familiarity between speaker and addressee. This is because it 'allows' the speaker to treat the addressee in a dismissive way., without everyday courtesy and civility.

Older people - even only in their late twenties - are lessened and trivialised. Age ends up being a yardstick of a person's value. :B)

I respect your POV but jokes aside, in Asian context, the term uncle and aunty is formal, you can't call your elder relatives by name right? Besides, call me whatever you want I can't be bothered. People are so obsessed with this uncle labelling because of the underlying refusal to age. Similar to some guys who dislike being called feminine terms like "cute". Hard to please people nowadays, always have to be overly sensitive. 

This is entirely my own opinion tho.

2 hours ago, friendlyboy said:

I respect your POV but jokes aside, in Asian context, the term uncle and aunty is formal, you can't call your elder relatives by name right? Besides, call me whatever you want I can't be bothered. People are so obsessed with this uncle labelling because of the underlying refusal to age. Similar to some guys who dislike being called feminine terms like "cute". Hard to please people nowadays, always have to be overly sensitive. 

This is entirely my own opinion tho.

Lol sure, no need to force an opinion. It's really just my feeling these days, Singapore is becoming a place where people rush to put down others, whether it's the haves stepping all over the have-nots, or the in-group bullying the out-group e.g. the religious majority wanting to wipe out the LGBT minority.

It's painful to watch...a sad, misguided place? :thumbdown:

23 hours ago, fuzzy said:

Thought that I share this article in ST today about uncles and aunties.

Fashion:

http://www.straitstimes.com/lifestyle/fashion/are-you-more-stylish-than-auntie-irene

Interview on uncle who plays aunty and uncle on screen:

http://www.straitstimes.com/lifestyle/ham-it-up-on-screen

Yes, was waiting for someone to post these links. What are people's reactions when they read/see these portrayals of older people. Respect, admiration...or just a joke?

51Tl+pE-KyL._SX332_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

On 3/16/2018 at 1:58 AM, Cube3 said:

LOL!  If people in their late twenties - are lessened and trivialized,  what can I expect by being in my seventies?

Believe me, there comes a point in life when old age becomes A BADGE OF HONOR. 

Especially when people constantly tell you: "I cannot believe that you are already in your 70s..."

Pity the poor guys who feel old in their late twenties because they are not as fresh and crisp as guys in their late teens!

I am around many people in my age group who are the happiest,  and they (kindly) look down on anyone less than 40 for being so naive and inexperienced.

Age has its benefits and advantages, and if you have the fortune to live that long, you will find out  :) 

On 17/03/2018 at 4:36 AM, Cube3 said:

Lol sure, no need to force an opinion. It's really just my feeling these days, Singapore is becoming a place where people rush to put down others, whether it's the haves stepping all over the have-nots, or the in-group bullying the out-group e.g. the religious majority wanting to wipe out the LGBT minority.

It's painful to watch...a sad, misguided place? :thumbdown:

Yah, even in saunas. Uncles pay more. The older you become, the more you pay.

8 minutes ago, blowmenow said:

i don't like to be called uncle too

i prefer to be called by my name even by those younger than me

i am very much ok to be called by my name rather than 'UNCLE!!!'

But you keep repeating and repeating like ah gong.

3 hours ago, Travie said:

Any matured men wanna meet? Been searching for someone above 60yrs old. Older the better. Im 23, slim chinese :)

You mean 70s and 80s ?  Volunteer your time at the nursing home.

Don't dress like one.

Don't behave like one.

Don't look like one.

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

never argue with the guests. let them bark all they want.

结缘不结

不解缘

After I have said what I wanna say, I don't care what you say.

看穿不说穿

21 hours ago, LeanMature said:

Yah, even in saunas. Uncles pay more. The older you become, the more you pay.

The older you become, the better your financial situation should be.

So the older you are, the more trivial you should find the entrance fee to a sauna.

4 hours ago, Guest guest said:

Then be Lao Hiao issit?

Reminds me of those lao charbor who insist teenage kids call them 姐姐 when they're even older than the kid's mum.

On 3/20/2018 at 7:08 PM, thorzguy said:

On the contrary, I get my friends kids to address me as Uncle.

At my age, it doesn't matter that much. Lol. Better than being called other funny names right. 

It's different when there's a relationship. When there isn't, and the label is used by someone unrelated e.g. a passerby pointing and saying, "Look at that uncle over there," it becomes a term that highlights your age and by association, a host of negative characteristics that are stereotypes of being older.  Some of the typical associations might be: outdated, boring, slow etc. (such as in image below). Even if you might not be any of those, when the word 'uncle' is used, it suggests that you belong to that group and therefore typically have those charactertistics.

When you say, "At my age, it doesn't matter that much." But why shouldn't it matter? At your age, aren't you also valuable and deserving of gracious treatment? You, Thorzguy, are humble and wonderful and deserving of dignity - whatever your age! Can it be that the attitudes here towards older people have conditioned you to think that you don't matter, you should just make-do with mediocre treatment, that dignity doesn't matter?:rolleyes:

1 EaHI_PNRNRC2bHiNBvAmSA.png

lol i remember an elderly lady call me uncle  then i say hello auntie how can i help you. she look pissed and then ignore me . actually don't mind being called uncle it comes with the age. i have many newphew and nieces too so being called uncle is not too foreign.but not from someone who is in their 30s and up.i will call address them as uncle themselves

Edited by SazNura

On ‎22‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 3:34 AM, Cube3 said:

It's different when there's a relationship. When there isn't, and the label is used by someone unrelated e.g. a passerby pointing and saying, "Look at that uncle over there," it becomes a term that highlights your age and by association, a host of negative characteristics that are stereotypes of being older.  Some of the typical associations might be: outdated, boring, slow etc. (such as in image below). Even if you might not be any of those, when the word 'uncle' is used, it suggests that you belong to that group and therefore typically have those charactertistics.

When you say, "At my age, it doesn't matter that much." But why shouldn't it matter? At your age, aren't you also valuable and deserving of gracious treatment? You, Thorzguy, are humble and wonderful and deserving of dignity - whatever your age! Can it be that the attitudes here towards older people have conditioned you to think that you don't matter, you should just make-do with mediocre treatment, that dignity doesn't matter?:rolleyes:

1 EaHI_PNRNRC2bHiNBvAmSA.png

Wow... thanks for taking time to write this much. Appreciate that. :)

To me, I really do not bother. I mean, I rather be addressed as Uncle (whether is someone who knows me or a total stranger) than being called funny names, or something rude. 

Personally, I feel is all in the mindset.  I have treated others politely and it does come back to me. Of course there are some occasions that some were rude to me and I can choose to ignore them. It just reflect on themselves. :)

On 21/03/2018 at 11:00 AM, Steve5380 said:

The older you become, the better your financial situation should be.

So the older you are, the more trivial you should find the entrance fee to a sauna.

In Singapore, CPF can't give you a better financial situation after retirement.  

10 hours ago, LeanMature said:

In Singapore, CPF can't give you a better financial situation after retirement.  

In general, retirement brings a reduction in income.

But it should also bring an even larger reduction in needs to spend money. 

And the need to save should slowly change into interest in spending the saved retirement funds,  to avoid burdening your heirs with the problem of what to do with all your money they inherit, haha!

It may be difficult to believe, but it is hard to start spending after having saved all life long.  We all think that we will live forever :)

Guest UrbanTalk
10 hours ago, doncoin said:

I've taught my nephews to call me "guncle" since I am the gay uncle. If you don't like to be called uncle, try guncle. :)

Eeu why would you wanna be called something that sounds like gunk? like, the spunk from your junk.

1 hour ago, Guest UrbanTalk said:

Eeu why would you wanna be called something that sounds like gunk? like, the spunk from your junk.

They are kids. They just think it is fun. I don't really care. :) Maybe when they get older and start to word associate but now, while they are below 10, they can call me guncle. 

Love. 

14 hours ago, Steve5380 said:

In general, retirement brings a reduction in income.

But it should also bring an even larger reduction in needs to spend money. 

And the need to save should slowly change into interest in spending the saved retirement funds,  to avoid burdening your heirs with the problem of what to do with all your money they inherit, haha!

It may be difficult to believe, but it is hard to start spending after having saved all life long.  We all think that we will live forever :)

There is nothing left to spend, so many rejoined the workforce after retirement to supplement their income. Work to past time is just an excuse. You not Singaporean ?

Guest UrbanTalk
3 hours ago, doncoin said:

They are kids. They just think it is fun. I don't really care. :) Maybe when they get older and start to word associate but now, while they are below 10, they can call me guncle. 

And they grow up cross associating gays are gross cos their gunkle made 'em say 'dirty' words when they were young.:whistle:

8 hours ago, Guest UrbanTalk said:

And they grow up cross associating gays are gross cos their gunkle made 'em say 'dirty' words when they were young.:whistle:

I am proud to be their guncle. I don't think they will associate gays as gross, because to them, I am the fun uncle who sees them in person once in a while, but I plan activities with them. Taking them to the zoo, racing cars with them etc. Mainly doing the stuff that they don't usually do with their parents. :) They have met my bf, and they call him "guncle" too.

I think with my nephews, the fact that I am gay is something they just accept as a matter of fact at their age for now. My sister had explained to them that I have a boyfriend, not a girlfriend, and that it is ok to have a bf, should they choose to when they get older. So kudos to her for that. We may all revisit the question about being gay when they are older and start questioning more. For now, as boys, my goal is to be their support and teach them that gays are normal. 

Love. 

16 hours ago, LeanMature said:

There is nothing left to spend, so many rejoined the workforce after retirement to supplement their income. Work to past time is just an excuse. You not Singaporean ?

I am not Singaporean, so I may not understand what keeps Singaporeans from saving money.  Your inflation rate is quite low, so there is little danger in saving.

Your cost of living is high, but it can be much lower in other parts of S.E. Asia.  Why not live in a country that offers much more for less money?

2 hours ago, Steve5380 said:

I am not Singaporean, so I may not understand what keeps Singaporeans from saving money.  Your inflation rate is quite low, so there is little danger in saving.

Your cost of living is high, but it can be much lower in other parts of S.E. Asia.  Why not live in a country that offers much more for less money?

Some do. They choose to stay in private/ nursing homes across the causeway., the Malaysian State of Johore. 

• 2 weeks later...

I get pissed off if someone who is around my age or older then me, to call me uncle.

I ever encounter some who are same generation as me, or maybe 1 gen older, be it male or female, who call me uncle. Just because i am at the driver seat, does not mean that my title should be call as uncle. Of cos there are some elderly who did that too, but i can understand why they did so, cos to them, the word uncle is a pharse use to address grownup guys, but for those mid age generation who had spent years been educated, i believe they would know the true meaning of who should be call as uncle. Of cos there are those who dont do that. They either address as bro or just a simple hi.

But when young cute bois get in my car and call me uncle, yes, i feel great. 

For sure, this Uncle will drive you safely to your destination.

Firstly, i am indeed older then them, some could be my sons.

Secondly, if he is cute, its a bonus, if not its still ok to call, cos i really am older in age.

2 hours ago, Bdman said:

I get pissed off if someone who is around my age or older then me, to call me uncle.

I ever encounter some who are same generation as me, or maybe 1 gen older, be it male or female, who call me uncle. Just because i am at the driver seat, does not mean that my title should be call as uncle. Of cos there are some elderly who did that too, but i can understand why they did so, cos to them, the word uncle is a pharse use to address grownup guys, but for those mid age generation who had spent years been educated, i believe they would know the true meaning of who should be call as uncle. Of cos there are those who dont do that. They either address as bro or just a simple hi.

But when young cute bois get in my car and call me uncle, yes, i feel great. 

For sure, this Uncle will drive you safely to your destination.

Firstly, i am indeed older then them, some could be my sons.

Secondly, if he is cute, its a bonus, if not its still ok to call, cos i really am older in age.

Understand Uncle :P you very Lou Soh:P 

• G_M changed the title to Have You Been Called Uncle + When Do You Feel Old? + How Old To Be An Uncle? (Compiled)
  • G_M locked and locked this topic
  • G_M unlocked this topic
  • G_M locked this topic