Male HQ

shrimps / prawns lover (aquatic - not for cuisine)

lovehandle

Yeah! This hobby did bring the relationship with my dad closer!

The female dumbos are lavender, blue+yellow, white+red (similar to red dragon). Some of them has broken fins tho =( my dad says more important to choose the color and size as the tail will regrown (im not so sure) hahaha..

They are living in my dad's tank now and they seem to be doing fine. I bought some ornaments and plants for them.. hopefully they won't have issues when migrate here!

haha you should! Their female bettas are living in a pail though... not a great living condition.. my dad told me that 2 out of them passed away this morning =(... i guess really need to choose the strong and healthy ones carefully...

On a good note, their male betta are super cheap - my dad bought a double tail mascot for $3! Aside from the rack, do look out for the baskets of bags on the floor.. may have hidden find there... my $6 male dumbo was from there hahah...

Aside from that, there are also plenty of other fish shops there to check out!

I'm actually heading to AquaOne @ Guillemard to get a dwarf snakehead to trade with my dad for the female bettas hahaha. Seems like they have a wide range of bettas too!

Most LFS sell betta, especially female ones in unfavorable condition and i am not surprised about 328. In fact, Toh aquarium and Hanzi pet-shop also keep their female betta in pails. 

Double tail @$3 is dirt-cheap. Hopefully will have stocks for me to grab while I'm there. But one thing I don't really like about those betta that are laid in on the floor is their health condition are usually quite bad, hence great care must be taken to bring them back to their health.

Seem like you Dad is into monster fish keeping. Do update on the dwarf snakehead purchase & their betta species and price range after your visit. I passed by the shop a few times but have never step in. By the way, do you follow the youtube video by Gibsongasper123? I remember he paid a visit to Aquaone before. 

Ahh i didnt know female bettas were sold like that... hard to choose the good ones from a pail too...

Yeah thats true for those that are laid on the floor.. limited water and no cover... my $6 had white spots and clamped fins shortly after i bought it.. but its an awesome fish now!

AquaOne @ guillemard actually changed their name Bubbles Aquarium and move to sims ave... their google and fb isnt updated.. 

The bettas were priced above $25.. nothing special.. poor conditions with a few dead/dying

They do have a wide range of monster fish at a reasonable price.. i bought 5 juvenile snakeheads.. heres one of them :D

Oh.. i didnt follow Gibsongasper123.. but i did found AquaOne through youtube.. one more fish channel to subscribe!

20210520_213711.jpg

I see. I have no experience keeping channa fish but understand that they grow quite fast. Recently a few of my female betta seem to get bloated stomach and become very inactive. I think they were diagnosed with dropsy. Not sure why they gotten it though. First time I see a bumblebee hmpk but judging from the size he should be three to four months old. 

Yeah! The 5 dwarf snakeheads eat everything! My dad has been feeding it a lot to make them grow faster 😂

Dropsy sounds serious tho... are you sure its not just swim bladder? Did they eat too much? Are they sinking to the bottom? My giant koi had this problem but it quickly recovered when i stopped feeding him for about 2 days and also reduced his diet.

I wasn't expecting bumblebee to be this small!!! He's very cute!! Seems like a happy boy. Made his first bubble nest overnight!

It’s not swim bladder issues as most have stopped eating and with pine cones scales. They mostly float at the water surface now. This issue only starts after introducing a few bettas from Toh Aquarium. My fault for not quarantine them before releasing them into the sorority tank. Now the entire cohort is almost gone. 

The whole cohort is now almost 90% gone with only 3 of the remaining female betta left. They are currently under medication and treatment but doubt they would be able to make it as they have not been eating and floating at the surface. I’m not giving up on betta yet as I’ve another three males and one female all being kept in separate containers.  

On the hindsight, I disinfected and changed the water of my 3ft tank on Sunday which really left me in sweats 😂 I installed two internal filters, own fitted with rain bars and another with uv light and put in silver dollar fishes with hill stream loaches. Hope they do well. Compared with betta, silver dollars are extremely hyper😁

That's unfortunate =(.. my dad favorite gold hmpk just died yesterday too. Somehow it's face region started to turn red on Sunday... and it passed away the next day... still not very sure why... He used to be such an active fish! 

My dad and I was discussing how we thought Betta was easy to keep... no need for filter and lights... but truth is... they seem to be very susceptible to illness and they are not as hardy as we thought...

Glad your tank is up and running with new fishes now! Not sure if they are the same species... but i think i saw those in river safari and they look great in a big group! I think my dad also has one in the community tank with other freshwater fishes.

I believe the bettas today had their gene modified till they are not as hardy as their wild relatives. They fall ill easily and it’s always hard to cure them. Yeah silver dollars are quite hardy critters too and I used to keep them till they reach the size of a CD. And their shiny body makes them as shiny as a CD too. They are actually the vegetarian version of piranhas and can eat up any aquatic plants within seconds like how the ur cousins tearing up meat. Hill stream loaches are cute too, remind me of the stingrays which I used to keep. Alas a cheaper version. 

Yeah.. its very hard to see my betta being sick... ended up spending a lot more to nurse them back... haha...

I think silver dollars can grow until very big right? The ones i saw in river safari is probably like at least 20 inches? hahah 

My dad keeps a lot of loaches and catfishes in his community tank too.. quite cute to see a group of them scurrying at the bottom..

I am still very fond of betta though... I do feel like the challenges were making me pay more attention to them... and of course they are cute with their little behaviors... its quite addicting to collect the many different types out there too... 

Yes, sometimes the medication costs more than the fish itself. The one which u r referring to in River Safari is Pacu. Silver dollar at most 8inch only. Oh hill stream loaches stick themselves on the glass and they don’t scurry around. I’m also fond of betta too and will still expand my collection lest for the sorority.

ah opps... i guess river safari has the giant cousins haha...

hmm they dont? not too sure if they are also hill stream loaches... but my dad does has something that look very similar and they like to hang around the sand with the cat fishes...

Nice! You are still rebuilding your female sorority?? I have 5 female dumbos and 1 female koi which im struggling to find space for them... if you are nearby in the east maybe u can adopt them hahaha

9 hours ago, Yankit said:

Oh man, I thought Aqua One closed for good. Thanks for sharing that it just relocated 

No problem! They are in a much smaller space now.. but still a good place to look for exotic fishes!

8 hours ago, Shirtless boy said:

Unfortunately I don’t have any spare tank as my 3ft is already occupied. I thought u prepared a small tank for your upcoming sorority?

Oh where are you building your female sorority?

My new 8L tank is now housing my new bumblebee hmpk... so I'll probably need a new tank for him before i get the female sorority in...

Edited by LostSheep

Not likely to setup any sorority anytime soon as I’m quote contended with my new cohort of silver dollars and hill stream loaches. They look like a much happier bunch than the sorority cohort. Just gotten a blue body pink tail hmpkthis afternoon and he’s really a gorgeous male, flaring when I point my finger at him.

• 2 years later...

I have a tank of Red Shrimp. Was trying out aquascaping but I seem to not be able to keep plants alive for long in a non CO2 tank. Most plants not rooting into the medium and eventually just float or rot away.

The shrimps on the other hand are doing quite well. Time after time almost killing a whole generation but they seem to regenerate from 2-3 shrimps quite quickly.

23 hours ago, DiDing said:

I have a tank of Red Shrimp. Was trying out aquascaping but I seem to not be able to keep plants alive for long in a non CO2 tank. Most plants not rooting into the medium and eventually just float or rot away.

The shrimps on the other hand are doing quite well. Time after time almost killing a whole generation but they seem to regenerate from 2-3 shrimps quite quickly.

Damn, for me, my aquatic plants are thriving but i'm struggling to keep neocaridina alive. I'm still troubleshooting why my neocaridina just can't survive lol. 

2 hours ago, rowdyboy91 said:

Damn, for me, my aquatic plants are thriving but i'm struggling to keep neocaridina alive. I'm still troubleshooting why my neocaridina just can't survive lol. 

In my case, I suspect that I might not have done the base soil with enough nutrients within.

If plants are doing well then might need to check the water parameters, sometimes the plants doing well cos the water being rich in nutrients and some might be too high a level for the shrimps.

At some point I did load my tank with ferts and the plants did well but everything else struggled to survive.

13 hours ago, rowdyboy91 said:

Bro check your ph. mostly its the PH that cause the shrimps to die for me

On 7/10/2023 at 7:49 PM, DiDing said:

Red Shrimps are almost impossible to die by themself. i have a tank with mini nana and some moss. i have about 20-30 shrimps that been living there without even needing to feed for two years. all i did was to top up the water every now and than and change 30% water every 3-4 months.

all started with a few red shrimp left and i wanted to keep them till die themself and reuse the tank. but they have been thriving. the more i ignore that thank the more they seem to grow in numbers.

3 hours ago, vwoo said:

Red Shrimps are almost impossible to die by themself. i have a tank with mini nana and some moss. i have about 20-30 shrimps that been living there without even needing to feed for two years. all i did was to top up the water every now and than and change 30% water every 3-4 months.

all started with a few red shrimp left and i wanted to keep them till die themself and reuse the tank. but they have been thriving. the more i ignore that thank the more they seem to grow in numbers.

My pH is 6.8~7. I've the seachem pH monitor and my pH stabilised for quite some time alrdy. I have a feeling that most of my shrimp loss is due to molting/gH issues. When I first got them, my gH was too low. I went to get crushed corals and some gH supplement and accidentally raised the gH too high to 20 (lol). During the process of dropping it to 10, I think the whole batch died out bcos of the changing water parameters being too much for them. It is totally my mistake as I didn't test the gH properly and misdosed the supplement. 

Now, I'm trying to get my gH to 6~8. Taking out old tank water and replacing the water with distilled water. Once the gH is down to 6~8 for about 2 to 4 weeks, I'll then buy neocaridinas again. 

Good news is that, I recently introduced 3 amano shrimps into the tank, none of them jumped yet, so I guess my water is stable enough for them. This probably means that after the gH drops, I'll be able to put in some neocaridina to see how they cope w my tank. 

Edited by rowdyboy91
clarity

14 hours ago, DiDing said:

In my case, I suspect that I might not have done the base soil with enough nutrients within.

If plants are doing well then might need to check the water parameters, sometimes the plants doing well cos the water being rich in nutrients and some might be too high a level for the shrimps.

At some point I did load my tank with ferts and the plants did well but everything else struggled to survive.

My water parameters are quite okay, its been a month where my tank is on 0/0/0 for NH, NO2, NO3. I'm running low tech heavily planted tank. My substrate is no longer leeching excessive nutrients into the water column alrdy. 

Some other folks advised me to go totally no fert and I tried it, man, the plants really do better under "neglect". 

As for my neocaridinas, I'm really still trial and error-ing on the reasons as to why they keep dying. Maybe once I can get my water parameters for gH to be constant, around 6~8, then i'll buy 10 to test if they survive. 

49 minutes ago, rowdyboy91 said:

My water parameters are quite okay, its been a month where my tank is on 0/0/0 for NH, NO2, NO3. I'm running low tech heavily planted tank. My substrate is no longer leeching excessive nutrients into the water column alrdy. 

Some other folks advised me to go totally no fert and I tried it, man, the plants really do better under "neglect". 

As for my neocaridinas, I'm really still trial and error-ing on the reasons as to why they keep dying. Maybe once I can get my water parameters for gH to be constant, around 6~8, then i'll buy 10 to test if they survive. 

Ngl neocaridinas are quite strange. They can tolerate quite a wide range of water parameters but yet sometimes they kinda just die off. Maybe you can also check your tank for parasites like planaria. Mine currently has it and I just manually remove em. Not sure if they would cause a huge impact.

10 hours ago, DiDing said:

Ngl neocaridinas are quite strange. They can tolerate quite a wide range of water parameters but yet sometimes they kinda just die off. Maybe you can also check your tank for parasites like planaria. Mine currently has it and I just manually remove em. Not sure if they would cause a huge impact.

Hahaha, thanks for the affirmation. I'll continue to keep my water parameters stable for my next purchase of neocardinas. I alrdy know what I want. Looking forward to buying them. 

16 minutes ago, rowdyboy91 said:

Hahaha, thanks for the affirmation. I'll continue to keep my water parameters stable for my next purchase of neocardinas. I alrdy know what I want. Looking forward to buying them. 

Wait till you get into shulawasi shrimps... those guys are even more sensitive to water parameters

3 minutes ago, vwoo said:

Wait till you get into shulawasi shrimps... those guys are even more sensitive to water parameters

Think i'll either do Neocaridina or just Caridina shrimps for the time being. I'm just happy to see them jumping around and grazing around. I went to Mad Shrimp shop before, wah, it was amazing. The amount of shrimps there and the beauty of them. Slowly work towards being able to keep shrimps alive and being able to keep more expensive shrimps.