Male HQ

shrimps / prawns lover (aquatic - not for cuisine)

lovehandle

image.jpg.4aa2f660bf5607a896ea73cae4f921Lol, woke up already.. Nothing to do while traveling on public transport so check out BW.. You 24hr watching this thread is it? 

Anyway, just to give anyone interested an idea of how my Eco snail looks like. It has conical shaped shell.

image.jpg.4aa2f660bf5607a896ea73cae4f921

Edited by Coolbriz

Be cool, like a breeze...

Wow ! Didn't know they were shrimp lovers here!  The pictures here really brings back memories when I was a total shrimp freak for cherry shrimps last time, that was like 5 years ago.... Now u make me wanna restart this hobby !  Attached are photos from the glorious days of shrimp keeping. haha. Now all converted to low maintenance planted fish tanks due to busy schedule.  

shrimp 1.jpg

shrimp 2.jpg

5687245e82e6b_shrimp1.jpg.0be55bc20217ee

568724625b941_shrimp2.jpg.01b1c5ec60610c

14 minutes ago, CuriousDave said:

Wow ! Didn't know they were shrimp lovers here!  The pictures here really brings back memories when I was a total shrimp freak for cherry shrimps last time, that was like 5 years ago.... Now u make me wanna restart this hobby !  Attached are photos from the glorious days of shrimp keeping. haha. Now all converted to low maintenance planted fish tanks due to busy schedule.  

shrimp 1.jpg

shrimp 2.jpg

Wow nice shrimps u have got! Come come, rekindle your hobby and be with us ;)

49 minutes ago, CuriousDave said:

shrimp 1.jpg

shrimp 2.jpg

Coolbriz,now i know how urs looked like, jus like a kind of seafd called zuk zuk!

Dave, i tot shrimps r low maintenance? Pls rekindle your hobby again

so now what s in your tank?

if it s hi maintenance, i m throwing away all my shrimps now, the reason why i started this is cos i assumed they r hardy n ez to breed

Dear all 

how do u wash your filter's sponge thingy when it bcome dirty/soiled

I used my hand to scrub it, but it seemed like i scrub really hard that it s abt to wear off aft 1-2scrubs...How? Help? If wear-off how do we get it replace?

Edited by lovehandle

Coolbriz,
Blanched vegetable makes an excellent food for Red Cherry Shrimp. Vegetables such as Zucchini, Lettuce, Spinach, and Carrots are commonly used + cucumbers too...This might save your only 1mth old RCS now...not sure have you tried giving them blanched vege?

Dear all:
I finally know how to increase photo attaching capacity, ie we  have to keep deleting the past attachment (by going to our profile/attachments)

P/s: https://www.facebook.com/The-Shrimp-Farm-196582057021072/ : a feel of diff species, the snowball seemed getting  popularity

The link to the PS's amb aquatic: http://www.plazasingapura.com.sg/en/tenants/lifestyle/leisure-and-entertainment/amb-aquatic-hub/
east ocean aq: https://www.facebook.com/EastOceanAquatic/?fref=ts

9 hours ago, Coolbriz said:

Hi cycle25, must be sad to see your "grandma" guppy passed on.. Perhaps you could share with us what did you attempt to do with your tank (assuming planted?) to begin with so that we could discuss further? 

Hi Coolbriz, I was expecting it though since she was a bit more quiet than usual - tending to stick to one location instead of swimming around and such.

Here's my initial setup:

1919376_10153383562848517_80671801213033

As you can see, the grass is always floating. In another tank where it is tied to a rock, it died off.

I decided to remove it in the end to make the tank look cleaner since it would just die off floating there. At least in my other tank I can have it weighed down by rocks.

How it looks today:

10369916_10153383562843517_8801515788505

3 hours ago, cycle25 said:

Hi Coolbriz, I was expecting it though since she was a bit more quiet than usual - tending to stick to one location instead of swimming around and such.

Here's my initial setup:

1919376_10153383562848517_80671801213033

As you can see, the grass is always floating. In another tank where it is tied to a rock, it died off.

I decided to remove it in the end to make the tank look cleaner since it would just die off floating there. At least in my other tank I can have it weighed down by rocks.

How it looks today:

10369916_10153383562843517_8801515788505

Hi cycle25, your substrate doesn't look like one that should be used for planted tank? The challenge with planted tank lies with setting it up correctly with the right type of substrate used. It is especially tough if you choose aquatic grasses as ground covers. The fact that your ground covers keep floating up suggests that root establishment is poor and this is likely due to your substrate. The initial set up of a planted tank is crucial and introduction of live stock should only be done after the plants have established and not the other way round. 

Edited by Coolbriz

3 hours ago, lovehandle said:

Yes, can see a pic, but didn't see any shrimps inside, fr CRS heaven again? 

V rich woh, $238...is the mossball always floating, mine and my friends' all cannot float!!

Lol the mossball is not expected to float. The one in the pic merely sits in between the coral reef. My shrimps are so naughty that they will "knock" down the moss balls sitting on the coral branching. So in the end, all the moss balls stay at the bottom of the tank.

8 minutes ago, lovehandle said:

Finally my expert is back! yeh!!!!!!!

The video said so it will float: maybe to catch sunlight for photosynthesis

Wow interesting.. I didn't know marimos can float just to catch light lol. Well I guess that it floats because when the algae is first exposed to light, it starts photosynthesising. In the process, oxygen is released and trapped between the agal filaments. That keeps the marimos afloat. Well I m just guessing. 

13 minutes ago, deathblade88 said:

Attention to all Wondershrimp Set Owners

I am seeking an interest for MMO.

As you guys know, CRS Haven is selling them for $15 each.

I can get them them at a crazy low cost of about $2+ each.

Please PM me if you are interested.

Sorry what is MMO?

6 minutes ago, lovehandle said:

What is mmo? Marimo moss balls?

If it is, $2 is the same size? Abt two inch diameter

no1 answer my qn on how to wash the sponge of filter?

Lol lovehandle, frankly, it's a question I'm not too sure about myself. I just take them out once in a blue moon to wash. By washing, I mean rinsing it under tap water. Didn't do anything special to the sponge. As to where to get replacement sponge, I guess it depends on what filter you use and whether the shop has supplies for the sponge.

Ooops........

I mean per shrimp I can get it at about $2 each as compare to $15 at CRS Haven.

The purpose of this MO is for those who want to increase the shrimp colony in the set or set up another tank if you are adventurous.

Edit: My source bulk order is 100 pcs. I am thinking of sharing the shipping cost since I need like 10+ shrimps.

Edited by deathblade88

4 minutes ago, lovehandle said:

Arigato!

do u cooked blanched veges for your shrimp?

mine really dont q like the hikari shrimp cuisine 佛跳墙, no matter how i let them go hunger

they go nibble on the microfilm of the mossball instead

If your qn is directed to me then is a No. I just feed them with the "protein" food I showed you earlier on and mulberry leaves and cones as "treats" once a while. You might want to try changing the diet for your shrimp? 

Edited by Coolbriz

11 minutes ago, deathblade88 said:

Ooops........

I mean per shrimp I can get it at about $2 each as compare to $15 at CRS Haven.

The purpose of this MO is for those who want to increase the shrimp colony in the set or set up another tank if you are adventurous.

Edit: My source bulk order is 100 pcs. I am thinking of sharing the shipping cost since I need like 10+ shrimps.

Oh I read this too late.  I have 18 in my tank now...

I have one mossball on the floor of the tank.  Not sure if it is originally like that, or dropped during transport.

3 minutes ago, guest_jeff said:

Oh I read this too late.  I have 18 in my tank now...

I have one mossball on the floor of the tank.  Not sure if it is originally like that, or dropped during transport.

It's ok to leave it there.

But any reason, if you do not want to be there.

You can use a clean pair of chopsticks or tweezer to move it back to its original location.

1 minute ago, guest_jeff said:

Thanks deathblade.  think I will leave it there. I just got my set, so am praying that they survive at least day 1.

Yeah.....

So worries man..........

I pretty sure they will be fine for the many days or even years to come.

They are very hardy and adaptable creatures.

I had 2 sets for 2+ years now. Had they are all doing just fine.

Just that I haven't seen any pregnant females yet.

26 minutes ago, Coolbriz said:

If your qn is directed to me then is a No. I just feed them with the "protein" food I showed you earlier on and mulberry leaves and cones as "treats" once a while. You might want to try changing the diet for your shrimp? 

Noted, so funny! the cones as treats!

Oh deathblade, I got your point but need Mass ordering

and your mi bundle need u to charge the battery right? how many LED spot/lights r there in all?

Jeff, mine is a nano tank, I use a LED battery operated light/like a mini tablelamp (I have my own warmlight table lamp all along, but that is for me , so in order not to clutter w so much things), I got the new LED battery operated lamp from Daiso JB (1.90sgd after conversion), it is foldable, bendable , it stands straight @ 28cm , w 5 LED lights

If u don't wish to burst your budget as I believed your tank is much larger than mine, you can go IKEA to search for something slightly powerful, they definitely will hve something, I feel the best way to save space is to use those clip-on the "tank" and then it work, maybe fish shop will sell too

2 minutes ago, guest_jeff said:

So you use the LED stick as the light.  Do you just place it on top of the tank?  Sorry for the noob question.

I had a set of each in the foreground and background. Just place the LED+Powerbank in the middle of both sets.

IMG_2518.JPG

IMG_2518.thumb.JPG.1f441e283964c546a4d04

19 minutes ago, deathblade88 said:

Yeah.....

So worries man..........

I pretty sure they will be fine for the many days or even years to come.

They are very hardy and adaptable creatures.

I had 2 sets for 2+ years now. Had they are all doing just fine.

Just that I haven't seen any pregnant females yet.

Dear all

I read from those shrimp-rearing forums, those wondershrimps (in those no filter, no pump tanks) may not easily get pregnant ie why they started with those narrow jars/bottles and that is it..

U r welcome, jeff

and jeff, cos of the mi LED set , the lights emit from the side, so he cannot be possibly be placing them on top

Aiyo deathblades, u have got 4!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! u really like such things right?

I luv too but I wasn't really sure that they can survive solely based on mineral waters hence when it was very popular that time, I didn't buy at all

and it is available in toy shops(in sg) as well as dept stores like tokyu hands (in jap) and it was much cheaper in japan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8 minutes ago, lovehandle said:

Oh deathblade, I got your point but need Mass ordering

and your mi bundle need u to charge the battery right? how many LED spot/lights r there in all?

Yes, it's a powerbank so it need to be recharge. It will last me a full week before a recharge is required.

Not too sure how many LEDs are there, can't see.