Male HQ

shrimps / prawns lover (aquatic - not for cuisine)

lovehandle

shrimps are generally known as hardy

still many cant let them survive, didn't u read the postings above? it is not me alone

and it is not contradictory at all

Is it ok to say so long we pray, my cousin who has cancer will not die? in spite of how powerful the LORD is

3 minutes ago, -Ignored- said:

shrimps are generally known as hardy

still many cant let them survive, didn't u read the postings above? it is not me alone

and it is not contradictory at all

Is it ok to say so long we pray, my cousin who has cancer will not die? in spite of how powerful the LORD is

Who says shrimps are hardy ? They are extremely sensitive to water conditions fluctuations.

17 minutes ago, deathblade88 said:

Huh ?

They are extremely hardly de. Everything is optional for them. The only thing u need to do is to do a water top up if the level runs low.

Yes, agreed. Food is also optional for them if your setup unit has healthy amount of algae growing but I've to add that if you do feed them with supplements, they will grow faster than you expect. Mine is like almost the size of a red ant now!

Edited by Shirtless boy
Typo

1 minute ago, deathblade88 said:

Who says shrimps are hardy ? They are extremely sensitive to water conditions fluctuations.

Haha...I've a friend who invested thousands of dollars for his CRS aquarium setup. The costs of the chiller, supplements and foods alone plus topping up of shrimps monthly set him back by almost $700 monthly. Now, do you think ALL species of shrimps are hardy?

1 minute ago, deathblade88 said:

everyone said that compared to fishes, they are so much more hardy of cos subject tor reasonable water conditions

including you , read the above you mentioned "they are extremely hardy" too

Just now, Shirtless boy said:

Haha...I've a friend who invested thousands of dollars for his CRS aquarium setup. The costs of the chiller, supplements and foods alone plus topping up of shrimps monthly set him back by almost $700 monthly. Now, do you think ALL species of shrimps are hardy?

Mine is the normal species ah, don't need special attention

10 minutes ago, deathblade88 said:

What other species do you see there ? Every I see only the horned, if you are referring to nerites.

Btw, u frequent there too. Sekali, we might seen each other b4, just that not sure it is you. :redface:

The snails are all packed up in packaging and are place near to where the packing counter is. I've once keep snails before as well though not as successful as keeping opae ula.

They have apple snail (Not hardy but big and beautiful/graceful), Sulawesi (Slightly costier but easy to keep) and ramshorn snail (Easy to keep). At one time, I'm a red meat ramshorn snail lover that I keep several of them and even attempted to crossbreed them.

2 minutes ago, -Ignored- said:

everyone said that compared to fishes, they are so much more hardy of cos subject tor reasonable water conditions

including you , read the above you mentioned "they are extremely hardy" too

Opae is the only exception in the shrimps family. And my that comment is only referring to them.

Pls go do your part and read up on keeping aquatics pets. Now I see why all the shrimps had departed. 

7 minutes ago, Shirtless boy said:

The snails are all packed up in packaging and are place near to where the packing counter is. I've once keep snails before as well though not as successful as keeping opae ula.

They have apple snail (Not hardy but big and beautiful/graceful), Sulawesi (Slightly costier but easy to keep) and ramshorn snail (Easy to keep). At one time, I'm a red meat ramshorn snail lover that I keep several of them and even attempted to crossbreed them.

Haha, I quite familiar with the place. Getting nerites to breed is tough. 

http://www.fishforums.net/threads/breeding-nerite-snails.108082/

10 minutes ago, -Ignored- said:

cherry is difficult than mine,

mine is blue

I attached my photos before mah

FYI, Cherries are the most easy to keep in the Neos family. Given good water and food, they will breed like no tomorrow.

Can even catch some to go with Maggie mee.:lol:

2 minutes ago, Shirtless boy said:

Oh I see. There are also another few farms right after where nanyang aquarium is. Not sure if you have been there before.

Going deeper in, there is Sun Pets lor.

The rest, from what I see from the outside don't seems visitable one.

hence I said I gave it all up

all these while the term hardy has always been synonymous w shrimps esp neocardinia

which is why I picked it up

http://aquariuminfo.org/rcs.html

I don't like pets dying hence my friends who gave me the blue neocard convinced me that they are hardy
hence I started them, I recve encouragements from others when I told them it s dead

Now for those who are still rearing, should be reading up more , enjoy!
http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum/showthread.php/93004-Most-hardy-shrimp

On ‎17‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 3:18 PM, deathblade88 said:

Going deeper in, there is Sun Pets lor.

The rest, from what I see from the outside don't seems visitable one.

Yes. That's Sun Pets. They do have a inner backyard where they sells "Couple Stingray" motoro and sakura & another aircon room that sells CRS. I always spend almost an hour inside on most visits.

15 hours ago, benedict5856 said:

Shrimp dies easily. Unless water condition damn good. U don't touch, don't affect the bacteria, etc, they will multiply.

But what is hardy are catfish, arowana.

They can live 10-20 years, water change don't kill it easily.

That depends on what species of shrimps.

I kept red tail catfish and arowana before.

These are classified as "Monster Fishes".

They grow fast and eat quite a lot & need a very good external filter system as well.

4 hours ago, Shirtless boy said:

Yes. That's Sun Pets. They do have a inner backyard where they sells "Couple Stingray" motoro and sakura & another aircon room that sells CRS. I always spend almost an hour inside on most visits.

Now that you have mentioned, I think I might have seen u b4. Just not in a 'shirtless' state. 

LOL.:redface:

By the way, can I ask you what type of water do you use to top up your unit? Distilled water or the formula water you purchase from CRS Haven?

I abit on the kiasu side, only top up with the water from CRS. Dare not to try with own water, scared all die, my heart very pain. Spent alot on the set. And 1 bottle of water from them last me very long. I got the biggest size one.

I do also have a tank of Neos, started off with tap water. Now topping of with DI water.

19 hours ago, deathblade88 said:

I abit on the kiasu side, only top up with the water from CRS. Dare not to try with own water, scared all die, my heart very pain. Spent alot on the set. And 1 bottle of water from them last me very long. I got the biggest size one.

I do also have a tank of Neos, started off with tap water. Now topping of with DI water.

The formula water from CRS haven seems to be selling quite expensive. There are private breeders that also selling but only at $1 per 500ml. I top up mine with distilled water and they are doing quite well. 

The formula water from CRS haven seems to be selling quite expensive. There are private breeders that also selling but only at $1 per 500ml. I top up mine with distilled water and they are doing quite well. 

There is some warning abt using distilled water for the top up. I can only remember it has got something to do with the condensation process.

There's another farm at seletar west avenue 5. However, u may not be interested as it's an animal resort. Have u been to mainland and tropical intentional farms at pasir ris farmway?

Nope. Too far and ulu for me to travel there. I don't drive.

P.S. I do love animals.

On 20/01/2017 at 11:56 AM, Shirtless boy said:

There's another farm at seletar west avenue 5. However, u may not be interested as it's an animal resort. Have u been to mainland and tropical intentional farms at pasir ris farmway?

there got much things to see mehz?! 

its kinda waste of time

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I bought my CRS haven shrimps 6 months ago.

8 shrimps. Spent $136, including 2 decorated habitats, with a bottle of top-up water thrown in, and some food.

Just counted. Still 8 tiny creatures swimming about, phew !

They are a delight to watch, up close.

Require minimal attention, totally hassle-free,

apart from weekly feeding, and top up the water, if necessary.

Uploading some pics. Not clear, but can see, if you look closely :)IMG-20170219-WA0000.thumb.jpg.3578732cfd475e84fe5f616ca75da730.jpg

IMG-20170219-WA0003.jpg

IMG-20170219-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20170219-WA0001.jpg

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 19/01/2018 at 12:28 AM, GibsonSlim said:

hello guys! sorry i am damn new to this thing. and im wondering other then Opae Ula, other shrimps like bolt blue, will they be able to survive in the closed ecosystem? what type of shrimp will be able to survive in the closed system?

Those that sell the closed system - its prawn can survive

search thru this thread for prev discussn

other than that , dont harm those that r sold in normal tanks

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

now it is no longer about the shrimps or fishes
from Nano tank (small and portable) to the latest trend: of growing the plant submerged in water as well as concurrently above it

It is about all science  not ez to manage

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
13 hours ago, LostSheep said:

Anyone still into keeping betta fish (fighting fish)? Just got into this and it has become quite a hobby. Happy to connect with like-minded! 

Yes, I do. I just successfully setup my female betta sorority 3ft tank on Feb this year and they were doing quite well, no fight no broken fins and injury as of now. There were 25 members currently inside this 3ft tank and they consist of female red dragon plakat, mixed varieties of female plakat, candy Koi plakat, elephant ear female betta and crown tail betta. I was told by a professional to add in abit of black water essence every other day and they will be happy. It’s true and my sorority tank members were swimming happily n actively everyday. I have another three male plakat kept in different smaller tank though. So total is 28 members now. 

3 hours ago, Shirtless boy said:

Yes, I do. I just successfully setup my female betta sorority 3ft tank on Feb this year and they were doing quite well, no fight no broken fins and injury as of now. There were 25 members currently inside this 3ft tank and they consist of female red dragon plakat, mixed varieties of female plakat, candy Koi plakat, elephant ear female betta and crown tail betta. I was told by a professional to add in abit of black water essence every other day and they will be happy. It’s true and my sorority tank members were swimming happily n actively everyday. I have another three male plakat kept in different smaller tank though. So total is 28 members now. 

Wow! That's advance! Where do you get your betta from? I got mine mainly from the row of shops in Clementi. I have 3 male bettas now: Giant Koi plakat, Yellow doubletail, Lavender dumbo ears. They are in small tanks but I like to decorate them with plants and woods. They seems to have their own little personalities. Such wonderful creatures =D

3 hours ago, LostSheep said:

Wow! That's advance! Where do you get your betta from? I got mine mainly from the row of shops in Clementi. I have 3 male bettas now: Giant Koi plakat, Yellow doubletail, Lavender dumbo ears. They are in small tanks but I like to decorate them with plants and woods. They seems to have their own little personalities. Such wonderful creatures =D

Yeah, keeping 25 female betta in their sorority tank need constant monitoring but the effort is worthwhile as they are colorful n lively individuals. I got my various bettas from a number of places; from lower end to higher end that aquarium @changi, polyart bedok north, Toh aquarium Kallang Bahru (wide varieties of betta male n female) Hai jing aquarium at haig road market, Kelson betta at roxy square.

1 hour ago, Shirtless boy said:

Yeah, keeping 25 female betta in their sorority tank need constant monitoring but the effort is worthwhile as they are colorful n lively individuals. I got my various bettas from a number of places; from lower end to higher end that aquarium @changi, polyart bedok north, Toh aquarium Kallang Bahru (wide varieties of betta male n female) Hai jing aquarium at haig road market, Kelson betta at roxy square.

1 hour ago, Shirtless boy said:

Oh yes my other 3 male plakat have different characters too . The oldest one flare up whenever I’m near him and another two are shy but warm up after awhile. Bettas are carnivore by nature and they need to be constantly feed with live insects. 

Cool. I am barely managing my 3 bettas now haha. I've been to That Aquarium, Hai jing Aquarium and Kelson Betta. Will definitely check out the rest. I am very into the online auction now (Venom Betta, JustBetta, ABettaLifeSG). I just enjoy observing how much are ppl willing to bid. Might get a decent quality betta for a bargain too!

I only feed my bettas with micro pellets and frozen bloodworm though... should i switch to live insects? Is it difficult to manage? 

I actually named my 3 male bettas.. hahaha..

Bubbles (Giant Koi plakat: he has blue tail) - shy one that always hid when he sees the other 2

Buttercup (Yellow doubletail: I couldn't find a green one... but butter is yellow =x) - very aggressive one... killed a few of my snails and catfishes =(

Blossom (Lavender dumbo ears: he is actually more red than lavender) - he seems like the only smart one that can flare on command... poops a lot though!

Yeah, worth checking out Toh aquarium as they have nice female bettas as well. Price is more costlier for male bettas over there. Polyart is cheaper though their variant not as much but still acceptable for betta lover like me. I dun name my betta though, too much to be named. It’s not a must to feed them insects but occasional treat would be nice. Sometimes I spotted those flying ants especially after rain and I just catch n feed them. I feed my bettas with micro pellets and occasionally with live daphnia. It’s fun having them especially after a day of work n return home to see them swimming happily towards u, my female sorority swim in a school while my oldest male plakat will flare swimming towards me. I love male betta that flare while seeing his owner. Im also into online auctions as per those three u mentioned but always didn’t get the species I want. They have some great deals on their telegram pages sometimes.

Yeah, worth checking out Toh aquarium as they have nice female bettas as well. Price is more costlier for male bettas over there. Polyart is cheaper though their variant not as much but still acceptable for betta lover like me. I dun name my betta though, too much to be named. It’s not a must to feed them insects but occasional treat would be nice. Sometimes I spotted those flying ants especially after rain and I just catch n feed them. I feed my bettas with micro pellets and occasionally with live daphnia. It’s fun having them especially after a day of work n return home to see them swimming happily towards u, my female sorority swim in a school while my oldest male plakat will flare swimming towards me. I love male betta that flare while seeing his owner. Im also into online auctions as per those three u mentioned but always didn’t get the species I want. They have some great deals on their telegram pages sometimes.

Thanks! I love to check out new aquariums! If you happen to pass by Clementi.. the row the shophouses has a lot to offer too! Especially the last shop which is always crowded. Its quite cheap there due to the competition around.

I see some shop sells live insects but i am worried it will be a mess and I only have 3 bettas so it will take a long time to finish them... wouldn't mind changing the diet for my betta if i can find a simple and good alternatives.. i am reading up on brine shrimps...

I enjoy spending time to watch these fishes swim around too. Something about it feels very calming. Probably the vibrant colors and interesting tail shapes.

I haven't been successful on online auctions :( those nice and unique ones always get out bid. haha

Oh the famous 328 u mean? Yeah would love to pop by one day. For those auction have to follow up closely and sometimes just missed by a few minutes someone bid is higher than yours before closing. I believe with good diet the bettas will be healthy and active. I prefer bettas that are alert n move around, not those that are inactive. I read somewhere that plakat are mostly resistant to fin tots n most other diseases, that why my collection are mostly that n elephant ears. 

5 hours ago, Shirtless boy said:

Oh the famous 328 u mean? Yeah would love to pop by one day. For those auction have to follow up closely and sometimes just missed by a few minutes someone bid is higher than yours before closing. I believe with good diet the bettas will be healthy and active. I prefer bettas that are alert n move around, not those that are inactive. I read somewhere that plakat are mostly resistant to fin tots n most other diseases, that why my collection are mostly that n elephant ears. 

ah yes! 328 Clementi, didn't know they have a name haha. They really have a wide variety at a super affordable price.. be sure to check those baskets of bags on the floor as they have a lot more there... i bought my dumbo ears betta for $8 there..

i agree and i read plakat is the easiest and strongest to keep. Some long tail bettas can be really cute though.. speaking of which... my yellow doubletail betta recently got its tail torn... don't think its fin rots because only one of the tail is affected... I think it bit its own tail as he is quite aggressive... I have been adding more ketapang extract and aquarium salt with water change... its been getting worse and I don't really know what to do =( heading down to a nearby aquarium to get some medication that will hopefully work...