Male HQ

Have You Been Called Uncle + When Do You Feel Old? + How Old To Be An Uncle? (Compiled)

Yeah, being tech savy could be one of many reasons.

Being in my 40s now, it has dawned on me that guys in my age group are no where to be found. Maybe in saunas; alas I don't frequent them.

Slightly off topic, though maybe not...How many older/matured guys appreciate being labeled or refered to as "Uncles"? Let's take a poll.

I for one, find it very insulting being refered to as an "uncle". I remember when I was young, my parents would remind me to show respect to my elders. One way was to address them as uncle/aunty when saying hello. However, that has changed. Now matured/older guys/gals are "uncles/aunties"; it's no longer a sign of respect...just a label. If you have to put a label...older/matured gentleman would suffice...thank you very much. ;)

I feel it's something really nasty in our culture and we should stop. When in Rome, do as the romans do, but in my opinion, if it's not a good thing or appropriate, we should make an effort to improve.

Just my 2 cents really....what do you guys think?

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes, you have gone off topic. So I decide to split your posting.

As for me, I don't have problem being called an uncle, Ah-pek, etc. It's a title, or a form of address, not a label. A label is something like "Lao Chee Ko", etc. Calling someone uncle or auntie is not a label. So, please don't be sensitive and give them a "look". The one calling you is not wrong.

I can't imagine someone coming up to me and say: "Excuse me old gentleman". or "老先生".

You can only stop yourself from calling others "uncle", you can't stop people from calling you whatever they want. So get over it.

At least they do not decide to call you "Ah-Seow", "Ooi", etc. I can think of worst names to call, so be glad it is none of that. :twisted:

You are what you are, accept it or not, True fact can't change, you can have lots of excuse not to be call what you hate or dislike to hear, unless you find that cheating yourself will make you feel better.

Uncle can be seen as just a form of address that has no meaning like Sir or Madam. I am around my 40s and have had elderly women in the market call me uncle when they serve me. Probably to these vendors who are non-English speaking, its just a form of address.

I know female colleagues who will walk off in a huff when shopping if they are not adddresses as "xiao jie" but as aunty, "nu shi" or "zhi wei tai tai".

Get over it. You are only as old as you feel. Dont let strangers spoil your day.

With respect to olderchnchub, I can understand where the resentment comes from. When younger guys call us 'uncle', it is still an act of respect. Perhaps, their tone is not right. Perhaps, the insinuation from the sentences that we read from their postings online often reflects prejudices.

The truth is, many of us don't like to be labelled when we grow older. Getting old is often [negatively] associated with losing the ability to perform and the inability to sustain economic and physical luxuries. Younger people view 'getting old' to images of their grandparents, parents, uncles/aunties. And we feel that we 'lose in the battleship' and their conquests. In contradiction, we tend to readily accept this term coming from our nephews/nieces, children of our friends, younger people that we know. Here, we don't feel threatened nor insulted.

Another scenario - uncles in general feel insulted when another uncle used the term on them. It can happen at the bus stop, market, shop. It's a natural reaction because no uncle wants to exhibit that he has lost the sparks of life; the conquest to survive; the ability to sustain youth and that his days are numbered.

Self awareness, and acceptance, soothes our ego. While we want to stay forever young, getting old is a natural process. Perhaps, "when in Rome, do as the romans do", we should apply this in our thinking and to accept the natural process of life gracefully.

Having said that, ARGH! how come all the anti-oxidants are not working for me! :D

merican Heritage Dictionary -

un·cle       (ŭng'kəl)  Pronunciation Key    n.    

The brother of one's mother or father.  The husband of one's aunt. 

Used as a form of address for an older man, especially by children. 

A kindly counselor. 

Slang A pawnbroker. 

Uncle Uncle Sam.

i have been called uncle by my collegues' young kids and nephews. else what can they called? kor kor?

it is just a namesake, you are older, face it.

there will always be youngster out there belittling all other "uncles". well you cant satisfy all pple all of the time, so take heart to know that whoever those person, they will definitely grow old and "earned" the term uncle...

:thumb: When I Think It, I Do It, I Win It! :thumb:

Guest IkuTube
there will always be youngster out there belittling all other "uncles". well you cant satisfy all pple all of the time, so take heart to know that whoever those person, they will definitely grow old and "earned" the term uncle...

When you are 'uncle', i probably sitting bored amongst the antiques in national museum. :(

Guest IkuTube
ikutube, why neber email me....

i am good at antique handling :)

cos everytime i see you online, i iku iku and my sense to reach to you lost with my old age stamina.

with old age, HARDware can't prolong and fail without good air flow of the mouth, oops, i mean fans.

glad to hear you are good with 'old system' .. hmm, which brings me to this question - have you fixed your win2k and nero problems? with double-sword meaning hor, are you dumping 'old system aka antiques' and seeking new sophisticated tools and hardware? :P

you have a good weekend, sweetie pie! :)

Alamak I am just 31 this year and already there are some people out there calling me uncle liao...imagine the amount of heartache and hurt I feel inside me.

I was on this cab to office sometime back, and the cab driver in his late 30s called me uncle. When I corrected him he apologized and told me that I looked to be in my mid 40s...which is totally bull shit.

I just need one more push factor to drive me to make a booking with Adonis for one of their skin treatments.

well certain things are known as priceless antiques for a reason, and since we are talking about labeling, whether you wanna to known as "antiques" or "old system" is up to you :)

coming to my issue, the PC currently cannot be boot up, so have to check the power supply or on-off button.

still couldnt figure out the missing HDD space problem, even not using Nero, my HDD space just disappear and re-appearing after some days, i have a good feeling that it has something to do with cache and temp files.

so how? you need me to check on your system as well?

From a layman (complete hopeless IT idiot)'s or laylady's point of view - I think the dvd you were trying to ask Nero (Italian man?) to copy using an old antique pc is so dirty(as in gay p--ns with double penetrations etc), your pc had a heart attack and literally died on the spot. That is what I think ( I am old and not tech savvy mah - what some people say about us) happened.

Solution? If your old partner dies, just get a new one lor. :lol:

been called uncle by colleagues' cousins' & friends' kids for years and i'm still in my twenties... can't expect them to call me kor kor right....

well not unless i started calling my friends uncles n aunties :unsure:

Guest Guest
Another scenario - uncles in general feel insulted when another uncle used the term on them.  It can happen at the bus stop, market, shop.  It's a natural reaction because no uncle wants to exhibit that he has lost the sparks of life; the conquest to survive; the ability to sustain youth and that his days are numbered.

To me, it is alright to be addressed 'uncle' by anyone who is younger but to be called that by someone who is obviously so much old than I am is not too "alright". Doesn't make you feel good, don't you think so? So it is a comparative or relative situation.

I'm in early forties and I am always surprised when someone called me uncle. It's just that I look young for my age and I've been called 'xiao di' 小弟 even now. No kidding. I kind of relish that everytime because I know one day no one will call me xiao di again. Being addressed as uncle is perfectly fine with me. Just dont call me ah pek!

so many people here dislike this & that, so any suggestion? what you like ppl to address you as if they are : a) around your age ( stranger like those hawker )

b) those youngster around 20s or even 30s etc... :D

Guest IkuTube

I'm having CNY gathering at my friend's place now - and already, his children are calling me uncle. Gosh, his eldest son - probably 24 of age, greeted me "Uncle IkuTube, how are you?" when he opened the door. That's ok with me. Even replied, "Uncle is fine. Can be your daddy too!" :D

It's cool to be uncle - infact, all these terms should not affect us. :)

Note to Lulu

Hahaha .. I can't stop laughing at your wit! :lol:

Some do not like being called 'Uncle' .... and some guys also like to deny their age, once guys reach 60yo, they entitled to get the purple card of Transitlink Card which discounted when travel during off-peak, some of them still hestitated to use it because their age being 'known' especially among the aunties :blink:

a good oral sex makes your day, a good anal sex makes your "hole weak"

The more you dislike, the more prove that you are already uncle, mature people grow in mind & not afraid to be call, is very sad if you refuse to face it when you even can be grandfather

I believe some of you may have msunderstood what I was trying to say...I shall try to explain my stance, with better clarity this time, I hope.

What I really meant was being REFERED as an "uncle". I at no time said that being addressed and/or greeted as uncle was inappropriate.

For example:

!) Wah...this sauna so many uncles hor

2) See that uncle over there looking at us?

3) My interview was given by this nice uncle from the ......dept.

Please correct me if I am wrong. I don't thnk calling/labeling someone as uncle/aunty is out of respect, esp in this context, which is the most often used.

Get my drift now?

If I was ashamed of getting or being old....I wouldn't have said that older/matured gentleman would be appropriate. I just think it rude to refer to someone as uncle/auntie.

I really do think that "uncle" can be construed as a label as it can be defined as a "a word or short phrase descriptive of a person, group.

Just my 2 cents again...don't worry, I will get over it. :D

Olderchnchub - Ah, indeed it is much clearer now :) Hence, it is about the citation of the word and attributing it to some form of disapproval/disrespect eh?

It is a normal human behavior reaction, though in some instances, it is considered a bad social behavior. People tend to forget about themselves and it is always easier to direct emotions, values or attitudes outside the acceptable limits. It is the same when a group of muscular and hunky guys passing remarks about chubs or a group of models think they are beautiful above the rest or, as in your example, a group of young gays thinking that they will never be an uncle.

What these people little realize is their ignorance and acceptance towards life. And I guess, as long as it does not affect us individually and personally, we shall just leave them alone.

Therefore, I agree when you wrote, "it's no longer a sign of respect."

Note to Lulu

Hahaha .. I can't stop laughing at your wit!  :lol:

Please email me then! :P

I know you have many admirers here like that mod...what's his name....ah yes....OralB. I understand he is young and tall and moon light as a Calvein klein's underwear model and he can service you All night long.

So I know my chance is slim but I am witty. So got chance or not har? :D

Btw, are you attached, detached or semi-detached? I am not referring to your house lar. :D

Guest IkuTube
Please email me then!

I left my email, in one of the threads here many moons back, and nobody write to me also ah. :blink:

I know you have many admirers here like that mod...what's his name....ah yes....OralB.

He is not admiring me lah. :rolleyes: We are only exchanging information trying to help with each other's hardware. Plus, lately, I guess his software needs my hardware tweaking. :D

I understand he is young and tall and moon light as a Calvein klein's underwear model and he can service you All night long.

Wah. Wah. Wah.

But it's true, when I help to troubleshoot or upgrade hardware, it's all night long affair. Haha, gotta make sure that the user be satisfied after I leave the site mah :D

So I know my chance is slim but I am witty. So got chance or not har?

Never say never. Never give up. Must be like the hill have faith [oops, sorry Faith Hill]. Fly Me To The Moon and we talk up there :D

*hint hint*, I enjoy good laughter, good wit, good clean calvin klein's underwear, good longan lychee all night long.

Btw, are you attached, detached or semi-detached? I am not referring to your house lar.

This question very cheem. :D My organs are all still intact .. that's 'attached'?, right? When i spurt love juice, will that be considered 'detachment'? And the act of 6-9 equivalent to semi-detached? :D

Calling 'uncle' is very common in any eating establishment includes the golf club's cafeteria. Once I was with other Malaysian young golfers (those in early 30s) in one of golf club in KL, when an older auntie waitress (she was in mid or late 50s) and asked the younger golfers by saying 'Uncle, do you want to get a juck of beer?'.

They were unhappy by calling them 'uncle' and replied to her 'Pls don't call us uncle lah, we are not that old and call us 'brother' better which I think it wasn't her intention to insult the younger one :blink:

Quote: Golf and sex are about the only things you can enjoy without being good at them. ~ US Professional Golfer Jimmy Demaret

Quote: If you watch a game, it's fun. If you play at it, it's recreation. If you work at it, it's golf. ~ Actor Bob Hope (1903 - 2003)

I think being called an uncle is part of our life circle. When we are young we are call didi, then from didi to kor kor and ultimately Uncle. I dun think that there is any offensive meaning to the word "Uncle". The important thing is that we have to age gracefully and be happy. :D:D

guess there isnt anything better to call

brother - err too personal

kor kor - sound too intimate

boss - like KTV hostress

mister - sound v formal and can be harsh "MISTER, what do you want to drink?"

Guest Windsor

If anyone could remember, in the olden days in Singapore when you went into a provision shop, the owner would most likely addressed you

阿弟/阿妹= boy/girl, if you were in your teens

阿Bah = Mister/Handsome/后生(in Hokkien), if you were in 20s - 30s

阿Nia = Miss/小姐, if you were a 20s - 30s young lady

阿兄/阿姐 = if you were or looked around 40s

阿叔 = if you looked like in your 50s

阿伯 = if you looked like in your 60s and above

In the olden days teaching children with good mannerism in the chinese society is an important part of the upbringing process and thus we have more courteous and polite people then. I must admit the society then was very much simplier.

This seemed to have faded over the years as the education focus in more on academics and also influx of western culture. Nothing wrong with that except that people are taking things for granted and becoming lazier by simply address all man = uncle and woman = auntie; among them are young parents especially.

I have seen grandpa picking up the child from school and the child's classmate young mother teaching her own son to call him "Uncle"! So rude! :swear:

If anyone has been to Taiwan, the way people address others are very courteous and something that we can learn. If you look to be in your age, then you'll be probably addressed as 小弟,先生,爷爷/阿公

I'm in my late 30s and I don't have a problem with my nephews and nieces and my friends' children calling me uncle.

I only can't stand being called one by adults who are more than twenty years old! If a young adult who doesn't know me wishes to address me, I'd prefer it if they called me "Sir" as the appropriate mark of respect.

If a person older than me addresses me, then he/she should either call me by my name (i.e. if they know me), or "Mister" if they don't know me.

However, if the adult addressing me is in the service line (like a waiter, supermarket cashier, hotel clerk, housemaid, or taxi driver), then I think it is only right for them to address me as "Sir" as a general term of respect for customers, regardless of the age of these service staff.

"I look upon those who would deny others the right to urge and argue their position, however irksome and pernicious they may seem, as intellectual and moral cowards."

-- William E. Borah

haahah...thats funny...

we all have different way to address ppl la...not right or wrong and no pt getting offended...

uncle so wat? kor kor so wat? does it earn u any pts in life? does it gives u more money? only ego boast probably. so lets relaz and dun be so mindful of what ppl call u.

Guest Guest
How about Ah Chek? This student tried it on me last night. Then I punished him with my cock inside his young ass.

Wow, I will definitely call you "Ah Chek", in order to get the severe punishment from you.

I think that student also purposely called you "Ah Chek", because he was also looking forward for the punishment.

Guest Guest
How about Ah Chek? This student tried it on me last night. Then I punished him with my cock inside his young ass.

How about an older man calling you "ah boy" and then you punish him severely in the same way? If yes, I want to call you "ah boy" to get the punishment.

Hehe.

Guest Guest

I remember when I go Geylang, the chickens keep calling me uncle because most cheekopek all this age.

Then I go Honglim also they call me uncle but sound so different.

Don't worry, many youngsters like uncles. Most uncles are 0 because go Geylang sure lugi the chickens sure make you finish quickly. Go Honglim can enjoy front back longer time. Pay one beer cheap.

A few I get called ah kai ti by younger ones hehe during sex lah.

One of my friend don't like younger ones because he still think his ah hia must be older uncle than him.

• 2 years later...

shit! i was only 19 yr old . went to the market to get some veg, this aunty call me UNCLE can i help u? i turn my head and walk away , dun want to partonise her store. i look so old meh that allow her to call me uncle? all young gay dun wish to be call uncle i think.

Guest Guest
shit! i was only 19 yr old . went to the market to get some veg, this aunty call me UNCLE can i help u? i turn my head and walk away , dun want to partonise her store. i look so old meh that allow her to call me uncle? all young gay dun wish to be call uncle i think.

They usually speak the truth. Time to seek HELP!!

Any Fashion Guru here to help the poor soul :twisted:

Guest guest
They usually speak the truth. Time to seek HELP!!

Any Fashion Guru here to help the poor soul :twisted:

i think going to market usually ppl will wear shorts or t shirt and slipper. but if go orchard road than ppl will tend to dress up . so think aunty call ppl UNCLE 2 reason . 1 she is short sighted , 2 this 19 yr old guy never dress up to kill mah.

Fret not lah!

She used the word as a term of endearment.

She may be less educated and she used it as a common term for all male customers.

Just like in the old days, the term used was : Boss, brother.... even though we aint boss or we are not related to them..

Now would you prefer this auntie to call you - Dude, 靓仔 (handsome)

• G_M changed the title to Have You Been Called Uncle + When Do You Feel Old? + How Old To Be An Uncle? (Compiled)
  • G_M locked this topic
  • G_M locked and locked this topic
  • G_M unlocked this topic