Male HQ

California Fitness Closing Its Orchard Branch

hunkchaser

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/mobile/business/california-fitness-to/2491128.html

SINGAPORE: Fitness gym operator California Fitness is closing its Orchard branch on Feb 15, it said on Friday (Feb 5).

It said the decision to close the Orchard Club, situated at Ngee Ann City, is a "result of variable business strategies and decisions". "We stand firm in our belief of bringing fitness at affordable packages to everyone and they should continue to enjoy the advantages of healthy living," it added in a press release.

The operator also said it aims to "make this transition as smooth as it can", and informing existing members that they can still visit one of its three other clubs at Raffles, Bugis and Novena.

"We apologise for any inconvenience caused and sincerely thank you for your understanding during this transition," it said.

UCHcodL.jpg

Edited by fmen

The announcement for the closure came really suddenly. But they should have foreseen it coming. What with the switching off of the aircon after 10pm? Even EnergyOne SAFRA is opened till 10.30pm with aircon running now. And nobody there cared to make things any better by putting some ventilation fans there to circulate the air at least. I've been with the gym for more than 10 years now, so I can really see the crowd there getting from excellent to good, good to bad, bad to worse, worse to trash. It was an inspiration for me to go gym everyday to see people with solid builds. Now, with the type of crowd there, California is more like a reminder of what gyms CANNOT do for you.

2 hours ago, snowball said:

Think is a bad news for most gay that workout at orchard cali, cos heard it is very hppening and you can easily get sexy hot hunks to sex with there :)

But everybody siam far far when I approach them.

Tot orchard branch is the newest among all and yet closed down first? Not a gd sigh if they closed down one branch, cos sooner might pull out completely from sg?!

对自己好是一种幸福,

对别人好是一种积福。

Spend time counting your blessings,

not airing your complaints.

10 minutes ago, alien said:

Tot orchard branch is the newest among all and yet closed down first? Not a gd sigh if they closed down one branch, cos sooner might pull out completely from sg?!

In a certain sense, it's actually the oldest branch. They used to be located at the current H&M building before Raffles, Bugis and Novena were started (cannot remember the order now). Then they shifted to Ngee Ann City.

2 minutes ago, Guest said:

In a certain sense, it's actually the oldest branch. They used to be located at the current H&M building before Raffles, Bugis and Novena were started (cannot remember the order now). Then they shifted to Ngee Ann City.

I mean the place is the newest. Haha.

对自己好是一种幸福,

对别人好是一种积福。

7 minutes ago, Guest said:

California Fitness Orchard used to be so much better when Augustine Lee was around

Yes, I remember those days when the crowds were better then. But both Augustine and Joan did not strike me as courteous trainers, telling other users off when THEIR trainees needed to use the equipment when others were already using it first. They didn't even ask, they just say "I need to use it' as if their trainees have more rights than other users. :thumbdown:

• 3 weeks later...

The closure was so strange. Even to the very last day of operations, there was no sale of their equipment. If they are really trying to shift out, they would try to sell off some of their assets to recuperate their losses, or earn more money. And there were no indications of any kind at all. The entire situation stinks. 

39 minutes ago, Guest said:

The closure was so strange. Even to the very last day of operations, there was no sale of their equipment. If they are really trying to shift out, they would try to sell off some of their assets to recuperate their losses, or earn more money. And there were no indications of any kind at all. The entire situation stinks. 

Do u mean other gym that cease operation, they wld have sales on their equipment?

对自己好是一种幸福,

对别人好是一种积福。

14 minutes ago, alien said:

Do u mean other gym that cease operation, they wld have sales on their equipment?

Yeah. What they can move to other branches, they will move. If not, they will try to sell, even asking if members wanna buy them over. Unless Cali leased their equipment,  which I doubt considering how old some of their equipment at the Orchard branch is. 

Maybe Pure will move in since they already have Pure Yoga there. Rent may be too much at California subscription rates, but Pure may be able to sustain because of its premium subscription rates?

Pure does not have enough members to take over Cali Orchard location.... it's too big. I was at Pure and the place is much smaller and we still had enough machines and space to work out without having to queue or wait for people hogging the machines while playing gon their phones. Yes subscriptions are way higher but they don't have the volume for such a huge space.

• G_M locked this topic