Male HQ

Surviving on hospital meals

abang

I was hospitalised twice in the past two months. Each stay was about 10 -13 days.  

Due to the unpalatable food, my weight plummeted and because I was in isolation ward for several days and needed supervision even to the hospital, I skipped most of the main meal and ate only the dessert and fruits.

It was horrible as I had no one to visit me (you cannot have a gay brother at home and if you are sick, why don't you sell your flat and move to a community hospital would be some of the common excuses).

I told no one until I was discharged.  

During my stay, I lost 8 kg in 10 days... I am still a walking set of bones and skin but at least in the last week or so, my weight shot back to 52.5 kg.  Yes, baby steps but it is better than nothing.

Although the dietitians decide the standard dishes, can they be more inventive with accompanying sauces, dry shallots for porridge? Food in the hospital, at least to me in the Classy C ward, was only fit for pigs/sows and some Tays. 

I see so many patients walking into the canteen to buy dinner for themselves. Even if you have nobody to visit you and even if you cannot walk to the canteen, you can always ask someone else eg nurses to help buy you a couple of snacks or something under the pretext that you are still hungry. Unless you are in isolation ward for .....

tumblr_mv3yv92Be71rgp68ao1_500.gif

Do they serve different food for the different class wards? The one I had for A was really bland but still edible. Dry shallots I would think is definitely a no-no, it might have drove the dietian crazy or his/her license revoked if that's part of a healthy meal.

The portions are really unsatisfying though.

I was only twenty two when I admitted myself into hospital when my tumour burst and I bleed like a ghoul like Lisa garland and infection set in. 

I was not allow to eat solid food and my food was tasteless and sleep is impossible during my stay there as every three hours I have to be wheel for tests and sheets replace as blood stain the entire bed.

The nurses feel for me and want to help me bring my parents over to watch over me but I dont want to because I dont want to worry people.

My phone die down on my second night in the hospital. I was completely isolated from the familiar world I know. 

Eventually I made it through the critical stage and I walk to shower and shaved. 

The ward give me a hero send off when I was allowed to be discharge. 

They say I am very strong. 

I think angels were with me throughout that time because I dont have time to fret about food and fear of pain and death. 

I amaze them with my tenacity and calmness despite my critical condition back then. 

If you can still have the mood to feel sorry for yourself and think about how food taste while you are sick I dont think you are at death door yet. Lol

The last I heard from my travel agent friend commentted that a client asked if Korean breakfast is suitable for her children ,he replied the Korean have the same few type of breakfast everyday , most are not spoilt for food choices like here . So to complainers here , have your piece of shit and stuff into your mouth , shallow it and just shut up , even if you do not say your thanks giving grace !

4 hours ago, Guest said:

I was only twenty two when I admitted myself into hospital when my tumour burst and I bleed like a ghoul like Lisa garland and infection set in. 

I was not allow to eat solid food and my food was tasteless and sleep is impossible during my stay there as every three hours I have to be wheel for tests and sheets replace as blood stain the entire bed.

The nurses feel for me and want to help me bring my parents over to watch over me but I dont want to because I dont want to worry people.

My phone die down on my second night in the hospital. I was completely isolated from the familiar world I know. 

Eventually I made it through the critical stage and I walk to shower and shaved. 

The ward give me a hero send off when I was allowed to be discharge. 

They say I am very strong. 

I think angels were with me throughout that time because I dont have time to fret about food and fear of pain and death. 

I amaze them with my tenacity and calmness despite my critical condition back then. 

If you can still have the mood to feel sorry for yourself and think about how food taste while you are sick I dont think you are at death door yet. Lol

This is the biggest bullshit story I've read of late.

1. You were on the verge of death

2. You spent a long time being warded

3. And yet you didn't inform your parents because you "don't want to worry people."

So they didn't worry at all at the fact that you disappeared for a length of time and probably came back visibly weakened? BULLSHIT.

1 hour ago, Guest said:

The last I heard from my travel agent friend commentted that a client asked if Korean breakfast is suitable for her children ,he replied the Korean have the same few type of breakfast everyday , most are not spoilt for food choices like here . So to complainers here , have your piece of shit and stuff into your mouth , shallow it and just shut up , even if you do not say your thanks giving grace !

Then how about you stop complaining about people complaining?

"It was horrible as I had no one to visit me (you cannot have a gay brother at home and if you are sick, why don't you sell your flat and move to a community hospital would be some of the common excuses). "

Sorry, I don't understand this part?? Why u can't tell anybody?? Whats that gay brother thingy?

Sorry to hear about your adventures, Abang.

I think the worst was being alone, without anybody to bring you oranges or chocolates...

Generally, hospitals are not well rated for their food.

They are slightly trying to improve here; but last time I was there, I rushed to my favourite restaurant as soon as I could get out!

Happy CNY, with a quick and total recovery!

6 hours ago, Guest said:

This is the biggest bullshit story I've read of late.

1. You were on the verge of death

2. You spent a long time being warded

3. And yet you didn't inform your parents because you "don't want to worry people."

So they didn't worry at all at the fact that you disappeared for a length of time and probably came back visibly weakened? BULLSHIT.

1. You think everyone go hospital to give birth?

2. You think hospitals will evict you after staying there for 3 days even when you have not recovered?

3. You think all children are like you who are happy to worry your parents?

Why should parents worry when a simple lie of holiday overseas or still studying in the dorm or working on some activities in school can cover a long extended absence? You don't know bullshit at all.

Guest God Bless!
On 2/6/2016 at 2:02 PM, abang said:

During my stay, I lost 8 kg in 10 days... I am still a walking set of bones and skin but at least in the last week or so, my weight shot back to 52.5 kg.  Yes, baby steps but it is better than nothing.

Although the dietitians decide the standard dishes, can they be more inventive with accompanying sauces, dry shallots for porridge? Food in the hospital, at least to me in the Classy C ward, was only fit for pigs/sows and some Tays. 

I predicted all these coming, for anyone who is single.  Sometimes, losing weight might not be a bad thing and it tried to cleanse your body systems. Nobody will stay in hospital forever, depending on ailments.

In the past, when my dad was still around and we visited him regularly in hospital, I can feel how you felt.  I saw patient like you as common sight, alone, with no visitors. Visiting hours make that feeling worst when every patient has family to visit them except you and they were quite intrusive. At night, a new patient suddently wheeled into your ward and became your neighbour, and he was groaining loudly you thought he was going to infect you with virus.  You wished it was quickly over and be freed into the outside world again.   To cut long story short, and once you get out of bed, try to keep walking and do simple exercise to prevent you from not being able to walk...which could spell further nightmare, when you are alone.

Talking about selling flat (sorry, I don't understand the part when you said about no gay brother).  It might not be a bad idea if you need money for medical.  Staying in community hospital may not be cheap and you need to weigh the pro & cons which may affect your freedom? Don't want you to live the rest of your life like prisioner under constant watch.  Our govt has lots of lack when it comes to renting room for your case, because you have sold your home (the govt deemed you have profited and not poor to renting a home). Try talking to your MPs at the meet the people session to work out a plan suitable for you.

I don't think you are old, you sound like one now and you are still below 60.  However, only you can tell as nobody knows exactly what you have contracted that rendered you in such situation.

I always told my dad to adopt another form of healing, other than medical, in the form of spiritual aspect. Let the mind do the work, visualise and meditate that you will heal completely.  My dad was not educated nor religious, it was hard for him to practice my suggestion. I am sure you could if you wanted.

You have posted in the past, often trying to tell people to think positive and give on your side of philosophical advices, to the extend of sometimes being angered and countered by others saying  "you talk easily" and working on it is difficult.  Now, the time has come for you to act on your own advices...or have you started to face the reality of life?  Frankly, in the world that we live, unless we eventually faced it,  many people think every problem is easy to resolve - which is why I switched off the radio when the DJ started to pour advices, sound very motherthood and gave me that gooesepimples. 

Nonetheless, I wished you well and find places that are healing  physically and mentally, once you are out of the bed.  Spend most of your time staying out of the home. Go and  visit temple, church, mosque, parks, beach, seaside away from crowded places or if you are homdbound, do more research on Youtube or find something to laugh at.   Some of these places may have healing activities for you to take part.   Than again, I tried not to share too much of my thoughts, because everyone is brought up different and the thinking may be different.  I am more of a realist than a psychologist.  

10 hours ago, Guest said:

1. You think everyone go hospital to give birth?

2. You think hospitals will evict you after staying there for 3 days even when you have not recovered?

3. You think all children are like you who are happy to worry your parents?

Why should parents worry when a simple lie of holiday overseas or still studying in the dorm or working on some activities in school can cover a long extended absence? You don't know bullshit at all.

Still BULLSHIT. It's not about worrying your parents it's about doing your duty to them. If your life was at stake, and if you really died, they would've had no idea, and would not be able to say goodbye. Doing so is only logical and filial. They have a right to know.

Therefore i still call the post BULLSHIT. Lies upon lies upon lies just so you can take your bullshit moral high ground that's sadly riddled with flaws and lack of common sense and human decency.

父母早归天国·兄弟姐妹有如陌生人, 酒肉损友就别提了。。。

执行医生是早上8 到 9 点来寻访/房, 要拜访嘛 - 就要这时候。

过后来得都无补于事 - 护士长叫来也没用。

所以, 拜访时间也只是送饭, 聊天吧了。。 没什么值得遗憾。。

My family members have disassociated with me.. don't blame them as this is REAL life where "money talks".  Blood is not thicker than water in my case.

The medical team is usually doing their rounds between 8 am to 9 am and you need to "mingle and jostle" with them for a realistic diagnosis.  Nurses, cannot tell you much.

So the visiting hours between 12 pm to 2pm and 5 pm to 8 pm are useless for updates except casual chit-chatting, food delivery.  To me, I truly don;t miss a thing.  No visitor is no shame.

On ‎6‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 2:02 PM, abang said:

I was hospitalised twice in the past two months. Each stay was about 10 -13 days.  

Due to the unpalatable food, my weight plummeted and because I was in isolation ward for several days and needed supervision even to the hospital, I skipped most of the main meal and ate only the dessert and fruits.

Really sad to hear this, I didn't really read into your content but is more concerned of our abang's health

similarly, I was hosp in the nov-dec period for a few days due to some influenza and strange cells in my blood too......
Hosp fd is never an issue and there r foodcourts etc on the ground floor...

Are u really OK now??????? have u gained back weight now??????? what happened?

25 minutes ago, abang said:

父母早归天国·兄弟姐妹有如陌生人, 酒肉损友就别提了。。。

执行医生是早上8 到 9 点来寻访/房, 要拜访嘛 - 就要这时候。

过后来得都无补于事 - 护士长叫来也没用。

所以, 拜访时间也只是送饭, 聊天吧了。。 没什么值得遗憾。。

My family members have disassociated with me.. don't blame them as this is REAL life where "money talks".  Blood is not thicker than water in my case.

The medical team is usually doing their rounds between 8 am to 9 am and you need to "mingle and jostle" with them for a realistic diagnosis.  Nurses, cannot tell you much.

So the visiting hours between 12 pm to 2pm and 5 pm to 8 pm are useless for updates except casual chit-chatting, food delivery.  To me, I truly don;t miss a thing.  No visitor is no shame.

Aiyo abang , don't say this

even with my family members around, I don't like pp visiting me seeing me in bandages or with hosp stuff like drips

I really don't like, hence I decline all visits, I even tell my mum don't bother to rush to hosp for me
Hence no visitors are no shame to me also

I will discharge on my own too!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I m an adult I can handle such simple things on my own

Maybe u r feeling more emo just cos of the food? (I felt even emo that so many guests are interested in this topic!)

It s also time to eat healthy food, no salt , less sugar etc to have a healthier body and less chance to stay in "hotel"again

but when u mentioned : "mingle and jostle" with them for a realistic diagnosis

does it mean u have to ans their qns in  a brutally truthful though embarrassing qns?

Yes I'm afraid that I did highlight how "horrible" the meals were to my whole medical team.  They simply gave me some apologies..... 

If the family members are truly interested in the patient's well-being, nothing is too ......

Just ask them and the medical team will counsel them accordingly. 

I actually liked the meals there. To the extent that I asked for healthier choices and low in fat food + less salt.

The meals are relative to your health condition, so that can't be helped.

If the food still tastes bland at a normal-average-person standard hospital meal, it could also be a sign that a person have been eating 重口味. =]

#JustAnotherDayInNUH

Sometimes being alone in the ward could be really boring.

However, sometimes it's also best being off alone if visitors dampens your mood.

I've seen many who rejected their meals because of how tasteless it is. (Eg. Sambal fish with no sambal LOL).

But some food already has taste but their emotions seems to get in the way. Usually the food is prepared to be more bland when it comes to health conditions such as Diabetes, HBP and other health conditions.

I guess.. I'm a pig then.. They taste just fine :v

Holy mama.

Food version:

I m sorry I m not prejudiced against anyone but...all those born earlier than 1970s (exclde me) but include cousins of my same age and abang and all the older patients I have seen in hosps tend to hate those olden days army boys-cooked food and hosp fd

they complained incessantly about the food , I m an uncle age too but I find it ok and I ate it all

We can easily see that Gray32(younger than us) can accept it well too!!!! cos my theory is all those born in 70s or earlier cannot accept it v well

Pls tell us your hosp, mine is in the city , anyone can easily guess where

Yours could be tan tock seng , lousier? it cannot be rt?

I agree w gray, is abang and esp Cantonese(I m a canto though I don't) 重口味.is their fav

I don't use soya sauce, chilli, tomatoes to dip food at all

even my fav jp sushi , I hve never dip them w wasabi etc

NO sauce and extras are allowed in my life

I luv naturally flavourful FRESH food...
I got a shock that people can go for chocolate buffet ....

I wish that sg can learn from ctries like Aust, u need to pay S$10 for a pack of sauce

or charge S$10 per pack of shallots for porridge

all those earnings can be donated to needy in the hospital instead ..

and many fake health-conscious assumed that Yong tau hoo is a good option, u r wrong

the poison of Yong tau hoo is the sauce that goes with it, eat more pls, eat more, the path to an unhealthy lifestyle

Abang , not saying anything against u, my orig intent is just to know what happened and why the need to be hospitalised

Knowing the root cause is better than crying about food in your next stay in that "hotel"

Prevention is better

55 minutes ago, abang said:

恭喜发财。

身体健康。

身心愉快。

下次, 我会叫你们来试试医院食物。。。你们还会说我“叫爸叫妈”。。。重口味。。个人喜好。。

我们大家 也在新年第一天,希望你下次入院时,吃得更愉快。好了吧??

Mmmm, your theory could be very right for some I guess, lovehandle.

People in the past aren't that well aware of the importance of health and stuff.

My dad also picks on how bland some food are, and especially nowadays the teh tarik he drinks in food court is not as sweet as it was as compared to him in his younger days.

Now must add milk and add sugar. Hahaha! I on the other hand have cut down on those, because my health was in a bad shape.

I think abang's offer would be nice. I'd take it for free. Ahahaha!

If I could eat 1 full cup of yogurt(0% sugar, 100% originally sour) and two pieces of almond for dinner in the past, I'm sure bland food would taste much more better than the yogurt. :P

Holy mama.

Almond?? for dinner???? is this enugh? almond is such a small pc

Your yoghurt is not llao llao right? > does abang knows what llao llao???Kekekekeke (Sorry abang)

My theory is definitely right (cos I can hear those patients opposite and beside my bed crying that the food is worst than the food in the jail...and all my old uncles complaining that it really sucks when they are warded)

I was wondering why is that so? cos when I was warded I don't find it so

Btw, for those who are warded into b1 and above, the food is of NO difference, exactly the same!
The only difference is u get to select Chinese dishes or muslim or indian or more towards western (but it s still the exact same dish that Class C or B2 is getting) and the ONLY different is u get an additional bowl of soup, but to ah bang standard, the soup is still bland , trust me!
and I rem when I was warded in Apr and nov 2015, I was ALWAYs given soya sauce to go w the porridge leh

abang must be too depressed to notice that

Yes, I do take non-gassy drinks when I m outside , but I don't drink things like coffee or Tea (Chinese tea when patronising Chinese restaurants of course) , I have friends who are addicted to coffee daily, starbucks/coffeebean is a MUST to them!
To me an addiction is an illness, I m sorry coffee-lover!

I hve seen people of ages , can be youngster or aunty who r travelling w me crying for coffee in the hotel when such beverages r NOT provided!
Gray u r on the right track!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! good job, n pls keep it up! and u do look slim and of standard weight: http://www.hpb.gov.sg/HOPPortal/gamesandtools-article/2408

I can say that I'm older than most of you here. I rarely fall sick all these years.  I've recently done my annual medical check up and got a clean bill of health.

But when I do fall sick, I still remember how miserable I felt and the lack of appetite that normally delicious foods seem inedible to me. I was intrigued that health is the tastiest seasoning to make food delicious.

That is why I persevered to exercise regularly even when I dread the pains of some heavy exercises. I tell myself these pains are nothing compared to those  pains when I fall sick. So either I suck in my guts, exercise now and get over the pains or else pay dearly later because being sick at my advanced age is more dangerous as my immunity and body is deteriorating. I cannot get younger but I can stay healthy and it's not difficult in this age of internet with well informed health and exercise information being readily available.

You are solely responsible for your own health.  Nature is not going to take pity on you when you fall sick if you think being obese is sexy. Nobody would take the trouble to force you to exercise. You know what you are and you know what you need to do. Even with so much public reminders in the mass media on the dangers of obesity, we still see so many obese people around. I don't need to convince anybody to exercise because Nature will do that sooner or later whether you believe it or not.

Yes indeed but i thk most of us here did exercise and are at non-obese stage

some illnesses just come byond control and no amout of exercise can block it eg dengue, influenza

Note: the thread is about hospital food

I remember when I was in hospital for 2 weeks when I was still in sec school. I use to always skip hospital meals and go to 7/11 to get myself a pack of microwave heated spaghetti. Hahaha.. was pushing my freaking drip around then too. That was like 10+ years back, the only 24hr place alive in kk. 

On 07/02/2016 at 7:08 PM, abang said:

Sorry to hear u have no family or friends.

You take care and maybe try to make more friends through various channel.

On ‎8‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 6:48 AM, bigdanbeam said:

I once opted for class C but was put in a 6 bedder air con room (class B?) The food was quite eatable though.

On ‎9‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 10:05 AM, teatree said:

I cook my meals with little or no salt, sugar or soya. When I eat out, i will tell the hawker not to scoop gravy onto my food. The only issue i had with hospital food is, it is not warm enough.

Teatree
feel free to get the staff to warm it for u, I believe they will do so

Bigdan, as I have mentioned above
B+ room will have the same food as C class as u opted for C class, they will not let u have B+ food

B+ food get to select from a menu and the only difference is there is a soup to your meals

17 minutes ago, lovehandle said:

Bigdan, as I have mentioned above
B+ room will have the same food as C class as u opted for C class, they will not let u have B+ food

B+ food get to select from a menu and the only difference is there is a soup to your meals

I don't remember the details. But if it was so, then class C food is good enough for me

26 minutes ago, lovehandle said:

Teatree
feel free to get the staff to warm it for u, I believe they will do so.

Thanks, not me. Just that when I visited the hospital, I observe and overheard the patients complaint.

30 minutes ago, keyboard said:

Really sound damn sad, stay hospital govt help subsidize 90% of bills (like 10-20k) but won't let you have a bowl of soup.

A soup is just a soup , it didn't taste heavenly, u shd emphasize that the B1 and above only get just one more bowl of soup

We  have to see things from a different angle.

One cannot expect to pay peanuts at a hawker centre to enjoy tcc level kind of pasta (S$4)

similarly one will not be delighted to pay S$1000  for a dinner to get just a LARGE plate of world-class standard hawker char kuey teow

We need to match apples w apple and orange with orange

Who are going to pay the chef and the cook to OT to cook so many bowls of soups? cos C class and B2 patients are way more......
Do  u expect the cooks to have lesser family time or work life balance to cook non stop ?it s not simply brewing a large pot of soup, u need to slice the ingredients, add in condiments etc , prepare the mise en place, 羊毛出在羊身上

at least the basic are provided...We should be appreciative that costs are lowered for the benefit of all 

When I eat at food centre or kopitiam , I don't order a soup , I don't even get a drink to go w my food

even if I go to a restaurant, I will not
Suddenly all the lowest class patients have to reflect upon on not getting a bowl of soup when they r warded? 无病呻吟!无中生有。。。

This thread is getting really so ridiculous. Stay Class C and in a hospital some more, still expect GOOD food. Might as well just camp outside a restaurant and fall sick outside at the main door. Almost like staying in a economy class seat but expecting first class treatment. Next thing people will complain about is why the hospital bed got no back massage function one.... Wah piang eh.... 

Precisely I nearly fainted, first sporeans luv to complain though particularly gays - very fussy, want to be handsome  want this n tt

shd C class ward shd also have handsome docs and male nurse too?

Everything we can make a fuss out of it, I m trying to do my best to make the Emo abang feel better yet not pampering him but all I get is........

I would think nobody will check in to a hospital specially to eat their food for weeks. If a hospital can provide a bowl of soup, at a $2/head, I think it will be much appreciated for those who didn't have the appetite to consume solid foods. I'm not asking for shark fin or buddha jump wall in this case.

When I was physically unwell and had to be hospitalised, the psychological stress was too immense to ignore.  It will take me a long time to shed off a blackish egg yolk from my brain. 

Last week my blood pressure was 81/5x..

Fortunately it shot back to 108/6x today.  Everyone was so upbeat about the results, weight gain (just 2.5 kg more), X-ray outcomes and from the blood samples taken. So, my (and many good Samaritans) prayers were answered and no need for hospitalisation.  

In fact, my next appointment is 4 weeks away. Thank you to everyone (including naysayers) who shown concern and interest in this topic.

1 hour ago, lovehandle said:

Low  blood is the only reason why u were hospitalised? cant be right?

Maybe that's why this posting is so stupid - not enough blood went into his brains. Let's help him out a bit by continuing to agitate him till his next appointment 4 weeks away, and this will hopefully increase his blood pressure more. Then maybe he will not need to eat hospital food anymore.

• Guest locked this topic