Male HQ

How much body fat % is considered toned?

yoyo74

As the title states how much body fats is considered toned. Currently I am 160cm in height, 57kg in weight and 12.5% body fat. My changing of diet of 4 months had successfully drop 7kgs and from 20% body fat to 12.5% body fat. I can easily see the outline of like 4 pacs but still got some fats in the waist area and I am eager to change my profile stats from average to toned. So guys tell me am i considered tone enough yet or still need to reduce more fat % before i change my profile stats. I know this is a vain question but just shoot it lol

if you're looking for a scientific answer, i suppose Google can easily give you some answers.  eg. http://www.builtlean.com/2010/08/03/ideal-body-fat-percentage-chart/

but since you're asking for the sake of vanity, i guess the actual percentage doesn't really matter, it's what's pleasant in the eyes of the beholder. :P

Edited by youngpunk

Erm...you don't need others to tell you whether you should change or not. End of the day it should be how satisfied are you with your current body image. Nothing is ever enough, especially with regards to losing body fat percentage. I'm 11% now and I still feel that I could shed further. So it really depends on yourself.

8 hours ago, Traveler3032 said:

I think it is below 10%. I am currently 11.5% body fat (don't know if it is accurate or not. I got the measurement in the gym on an automated machine).

I still have a bit fat on my midsection and no six pack, haha...

At 15% can already started to see abs lining. Have you done any abs exercise before? Maybe still need a bit of abs exercise to get abs lining even if fat % is low. For me i had done quite a lot of situp during younger times. Can do around 55 situps in a min.

Not sure if this is true. Modern fitness guru claim that sit ups don't actually work to reduce tummy fats or even help to build abs. Crunches are more effective. They also claim that the body actually burn fats while sleeping?

39 minutes ago, hermit said:

A random pic from the internet. Wonder what's his body fat % ...

965653_10200745383229393_298827996_o.jpg

This guy is in the competitive mode. Most likely around 5% (plus minus). 

Frankly, it is not feasible to stay around that number. If you aim to be well-toned, around 12-15% bodyfat and well-maintained muscles will give the strong, buffed look. You may not see the 6-pecs but the 4 upper pecs should be visible...which I feel is great and definitely not the dad's bod.

Enjoy your food in moderation and spend 85% of the time eating right and well. It is not worth it to have low body fat, yet feeling miserable. By the way, usually those with the body in the picture above have small frame. Not so macho....

12 hours ago, teatree said:

Not sure if this is true. Modern fitness guru claim that sit ups don't actually work to reduce tummy fats or even help to build abs. Crunches are more effective. They also claim that the body actually burn fats while sleeping?

Yes sit ups doesn't reduce tummy fats. Crunches are not difference. Burn fats while sleeping, well...majority of the time when you are doing no physical activity, the major contributor to fuel utilisation is fats.

9 hours ago, bodybuildMLY said:

This guy is in the competitive mode. Most likely around 5% (plus minus). 

Frankly, it is not feasible to stay around that number. If you aim to be well-toned, around 12-15% bodyfat and well-maintained muscles will give the strong, buffed look. You may not see the 6-pecs but the 4 upper pecs should be visible...which I feel is great and definitely not the dad's bod.

Enjoy your food in moderation and spend 85% of the time eating right and well. It is not worth it to have low body fat, yet feeling miserable. By the way, usually those with the body in the picture above have small frame. Not so macho....

8 hours ago, xydboy said:

Yes sit ups doesn't reduce tummy fats. Crunches are not difference. Burn fats while sleeping, well...majority of the time when you are doing no physical activity, the major contributor to fuel utilisation is fats.

Do you guys agree that some people, no matter how hard they trained and diet, cannot achieved the 6 packs like the guy in the above pic, at most they can managed only 4 packs. Yet, there are some guys who didn't work as hard but easily have it.

10 hours ago, teatree said:

Do you guys agree that some people, no matter how hard they trained and diet, cannot achieved the 6 packs like the guy in the above pic, at most they can managed only 4 packs. Yet, there are some guys who didn't work as hard but easily have it.

It depends on what you define as fit. As for 4 packs or 6, that might be the genes. Everyone's abs are different. As for some guys who didn't work out much but easily have it, it depends on how you view it. Thin people with abs is like fat people with boobs, no count!

Is it just me? Or do people tends to itch more on the skin when your body weight decreases? Or does this has anything to do with any skin condition? Each time I lose weight, I itch more.

10 hours ago, teatree said:

I think i can only get 4 packs as above the naval area can only see 4 and i dont think my abs muscles will be split into 2 in the future. Seem like how many packs is due to your genes and body structure. You should be able to see abs lining when fat % is lesser than 15. Those still cant see had to exercise a bit more

18 minutes ago, Guest said:

Is it just me? Or do people tends to itch more on the skin when your body weight decreases? Or does this has anything to do with any skin condition? Each time I lose weight, I itch more.

Nope i did not will itch when i drop my weight but i do fart more maybe due to drinking much more water in my diet and those meal replacement shake also add in air in my body when i shake the bottle causing bubbles of air. Luckily i clear my shit everyday so even when fart also no smell

Guest Sport-coholic
3 hours ago, yoyo74 said:

I think i can only get 4 packs as above the naval area can only see 4 and i dont think my abs muscles will be split into 2 in the future. Seem like how many packs is due to your genes and body structure. You should be able to see abs lining when fat % is lesser than 15. Those still cant see had to exercise a bit more

You need to show your before and after body pic lar. :P

Do you guys believe that the only way to cut fat is to ensure caloric deficit? And what do you guys have to say about intermittent fasting? If you don't know about it, just search on youtube. This challenges the whole idea of eating smaller meals of greater frequency and it also challenges the notion that breakfast is important. Would like to hear what you guys have to say.

4 hours ago, Guest said:

Probably a skin condition more than anything.

Perhaps allergens in something you took recently.

Image00109.jpg

I'm always running after you.

You are my ideal.

You are me.

2 hours ago, jaylen said:

Do you guys believe that the only way to cut fat is to ensure caloric deficit? And what do you guys have to say about intermittent fasting? If you don't know about it, just search on youtube. This challenges the whole idea of eating smaller meals of greater frequency and it also challenges the notion that breakfast is important. Would like to hear what you guys have to say.

Comparison of calorie reduction vs total calorie desistance (eg. IF) has been popularised in recent years. However, the current research on hand is still inconclusive due to the lack of robust in research design as well as the lack of data to support long term adoption of such diets (safety). Many things are still unknown, such as the duration, the efficacy, mechanism, etc. There are some studies that supports the use of IF, but if you ask the exact duration, how much to eat, etc, nobody can give you an exact answer to it.

The key question is, how long can you last on such diets? Your body fat will only stay low for as long as you continue this dieting. Imagine chicken breasts and broccoli only for the rest of your life? For the average person (as opposed to professional bodybuilder with bulking and cutting phases), best to stick to a diet that you can enjoy and maintain for years if not the rest of your life, make it a permanent part of your lifestyle, and likewise choose cardio exercises that you like, e.g. swimming if you like to swim etc, so you can enjoy doing so. Long term sustainability is the key, because once you stop or slack off the regime, the weight and fat will rebound. This is also why many people's dieting fail; they crash diet (or use some strange dieting tricks), they see results, they slack off coz they get too tired dieting/thought they can finally feast upon seeing the results, the weight and fat rebound. 

http://seannal.com/articles/nutrition/best-cutting-diet.php

http://seannal.com/articles/training/best-cardio-exercises-to-burn-fat.php

Edited by SuperSentai

皆々様には、御機嫌麗しゅう、恐悦至極に存じ奉ります。

On 2/7/2016 at 3:05 PM, yoyo74 said:

As the title states how much body fats is considered toned. Currently I am 160cm in height, 57kg in weight and 12.5% body fat. My changing of diet of 4 months had successfully drop 7kgs and from 20% body fat to 12.5% body fat. I can easily see the outline of like 4 pacs but still got some fats in the waist area and I am eager to change my profile stats from average to toned. So guys tell me am i considered tone enough yet or still need to reduce more fat % before i change my profile stats. I know this is a vain question but just shoot it lol

Congratulations and well done!!

You could also post your yummy bod pic for us to give you the answer if you really want our reassurance :P

But as the other poster mentioned, it is better for you to decide yourself if you feel 'toned' or 'average'. To be honest 12.5% and 4-pecs sound very toned already.

I was rather plump during NS. Yes, life is good. :-)

A combination of being picky with what I put in my mouth, cardio exercises, weight lifting and a positive mindset with strong motivation helped me with weight loss a few years ago. I am still trying to improve myself and my take is that it is a neverending journey of self-discovery of what works best for your body.

Guest Muscular

By that same token, what do guys mean when they state that they are muscular in their Grindr profiles?

What's your expectation when you see this?

Is it just muscular arms, chest and shoulders?

I've seen guys who have that, but also with some tummy too.

So the BF% should be around 18% to 20%.

Are they still considered muscular?

3 hours ago, Guest Muscular said:

By that same token, what do guys mean when they state that they are muscular in their Grindr profiles?

What's your expectation when you see this?

Is it just muscular arms, chest and shoulders?

I've seen guys who have that, but also with some tummy too.

So the BF% should be around 18% to 20%.

Are they still considered muscular?

Muscular cannot be on just one body part.  The person must have well defined (not necessary big) chest, shoulders, arms, legs etc.  He definitely should have abs too but most muscled guys find it difficult to burn away the fats that was covering the 6 packs. 

I did not take a topless pic when my fat is 20% but i taken one today. I writing down my stats, diet and exercise routine below so u got a rough idea.

Age= 41  Height= 160cm  Weight= 57kg  Fat%=12.5%(Last measured on 2/2/2016)

Diet: Breakfirst only meal replacement shake, Lunch is brown rice with 2 vegetables or with 1 egg and curry mock mutton, Dinner only pure vegetables all low carb

Exercise routine: Weekdays: 20 Handstand pushup break 20 situps break Burpees break 40 normal pushup immediately follow by 10 diamonds pushup, Saturday join running group run around 5km, Sunday occasionally join dragonboating.

So back to the question of the type of body i have. Is it consider tone or others?

yoyo74.jpg

14 hours ago, yoyo74 said:

I did not take a topless pic when my fat is 20% but i taken one today. I writing down my stats, diet and exercise routine below so u got a rough idea.

Diet: Breakfirst only meal replacement shake, Lunch is brown rice with 2 vegetables or with 1 egg and curry mock mutton, Dinner only pure vegetables all low carb

Exercise routine: Weekdays: 20 Handstand pushup break 20 situps break Burpees break 40 normal pushup immediately follow by 10 diamonds pushup, Saturday join running group run around 5km, Sunday occasionally join dragonboating.

So back to the question of the type of body i have. Is it consider tone or others?

yoyo74.jpg

Why don't you post another picture? The lighting effect can make your body look different.

2 hours ago, Den Yuan said:

Why don't you post another picture? The lighting effect can make your body look different.

Heres another pic when light is switch off.

12694571_10205512134231377_9163724440021452903_o.jpg

22 hours ago, yoyo74 said:

yoyo74.jpg

Maybe I have high demands but to me, more work is required. Then again everyone's yardstick differs. Most importantly ask yourself..

On 2/14/2016 at 11:48 PM, xydboy said:

Maybe I have high demands but to me, more work is required. Then again everyone's yardstick differs. Most importantly ask yourself..

I am not done yet. I have relax my diet a little so that my weight wont drop down drastically. I hope to maintain similar weight while dropping fat %. Maybe need to drop fat % down to a single digit than can be near perfect body.

6 minutes ago, yoyo74 said:

I am not done yet. I have relax my diet a little so that my weight wont drop down drastically. I hope to maintain similar weight while dropping fat %. Maybe need to drop fat % down to a single digit than can be near perfect body.

That is going to be rather challenging. Bodybuilders who are near their contest dates would prep by cutting, and when they do cutting, its quite common to lose weight. To maintain weight while dropping fat is not easy because to gain the 1kg of muscle mass while losing the 1kg of fats is a challenge. Just try your best, don't be too stressed out. Its already very good for guys at your age to get such a body. As you age, metabolism drops, things don't go as well as compared to when you were younger. Be happy at where you are at now.

20 hours ago, yoyo74 said:

yoyo you can do it you so hot now ^^

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Body fat percentage around 8% - 11% should be considered tone in my point of view. Whoever suggest going lower are kinda extreme la. :D

Please don't depend on body fat scales, there many factors to be accounted for to even hope for an accurate result. Get a fat caliper.

Under your influence, you're the magic in my veins.

• Guest locked this topic