Male HQ

Are you learning any language or dialect?

smallboy

18 hours ago, Guest said:

Cantonese and French . 'Cause I want to speak Hk type of Cantonese , French 'cause I have nice memory with French men .

Why would Singaporeans want to learn another language when they can't even speak English properly? Likewise Mandarin.

I am not flaming you but the fact is, many Singaporeans speak English and Mandarin in strange accents (acceptable to locals definitely, but sounds weird elsewhere).

5 hours ago, Guest Tanni said:

Why would Singaporeans want to learn another language when they can't even speak English properly? Likewise Mandarin.

I am not flaming you but the fact is, many Singaporeans speak English and Mandarin in strange accents (acceptable to locals definitely, but sounds weird elsewhere).

Speaking skills and writing skills are quite different. I Personally think being able to speak well is more of confidence, and it doesn't mean a person's language ability is lousy, unless the person is speaking in broken language all the time.

I won't say my English and Chinese language is perfect because there are way too many people with better language skills than me, but I would say that my language skills are at least above average.

As for accents, If going by your standards, I think people from India or those northern up the UK have weirder accents. The type of speaking accents depends on where one comes from and the the influences. It's not fair by any means to call any accents weird because this is purely subjective.

I am a 24 years old guy, just wanting to know more friends..

35 minutes ago, sportsboy89 said:

Btw anywhere to learn hokkien?? My favourite dialect. Any recommendations ?

ask a friend to teach you? Hokkien is quite common in SG.

back to topic.

English - learn in sch
Chinese - learn in sch
Hokkien - learn at home, adults are speaking to each other in hokkien

Basic Japanese - learn at CC. learn for fun.
Basic German - learn at geothe. for basic usage when staying in Germany for 6 months.

The catch may be in to which level you wish to master the language.

I myself am not using my entire lifetime to try to express my deepest emotions and expound my highest thought, if  there is any.

The Way that can be told of is not an Unvarying Way;

The names that can be named are not unvarying names.

21 hours ago, sportsboy89 said:

Btw anywhere to learn hokkien?? My favourite dialect. Any recommendations ?

My female colleague is getting married to a Hokkien family and started learning from a teacher in Carousell. Search under Hokkien Minnam Language Teacher.lol she is able tk converse relatively ok now la. Hahah not 100 percent proficient, but I guess depends on individual...how fsst they are

8 hours ago, Guest Hot Swimmer said:

Wonder any one is interested on learning Roman Latin. The language that used in catholic.

Used to learn a bit of it but didn't continue on.

The declination of words can be quite complex.

Image00109.jpg

I'm always running after you.

You are my ideal.

You are me.

11 hours ago, Guest Hot Swimmer said:

Wonder any one is interested on learning Roman Latin. The language that used in catholic.

2 hours ago, darkflame said:

Used to learn a bit of it but didn't continue on.

The declination of words can be quite complex.

What is learning that language for? Latin is a dead language, might as well learn Spanish or Portuguese.

51 minutes ago, hunkchaser said:

What is learning that language for? Latin is a dead language, might as well learn Spanish or Portuguese.

Which brings to mind: Why do people learn languages? For some, it's to communicate whether for social or business purposes. For others, it's out of intellectual curiosity. Others yet learn "dead" languages because it's the language of their religion. I have friends who learn Koine Greek and Biblical Hebrew to read old Christian scripture. Muslims also have to learn Classical Arabic to read the Quran.

31 minutes ago, Guest said:

What language will eventually replaces English as an international language?

I don't think any language can replace English as an international language.

Just now, hannibalism said:

wah. truly an investment. haha. i think i'll check out the schools. thanks!

I find that it's relatively easy to pick up, but hard to muster. Bear in mind, easy doesn't mean you can just sit through a lesson and expect to be fluent. Like any language, there's still lots of legwork, namely memorising new vocabulary and learning to apply grammatical rules.

1 hour ago, jo.sam said:

Which brings to mind: Why do people learn languages? For some, it's to communicate whether for social or business purposes. For others, it's out of intellectual curiosity. Others yet learn "dead" languages because it's the language of their religion. I have friends who learn Koine Greek and Biblical Hebrew to read old Christian scripture. Muslims also have to learn Classical Arabic to read the Quran.

Communication purposes? To whom are they gonna communicate, to the Pope? I am a Catholic and my religion doesn't require me to learn Latin. Though some chants are originally in Latin, they are translated to English or other languages. With the help of English and a few Spanish vocabulary, I can also decipher a few Latin phrases. 

3 hours ago, hunkchaser said:

Communication purposes? To whom are they gonna communicate, to the Pope? I am a Catholic and my religion doesn't require me to learn Latin. Though some chants are originally in Latin, they are translated to English or other languages. With the help of English and a few Spanish vocabulary, I can also decipher a few Latin phrases. 

Like I said, some choose to learn a language out of intellectual curiosity, even if it's a dead language. : )

1 hour ago, jo.sam said:

Like I said, some choose to learn a language out of intellectual curiosity, even if it's a dead language. : )

Quite right!

And Latin, even if it's not really useful in everyday's life, can be a good intellectual training, in terms of logics, analysis, and links with some aspects of mathematics.

Guest Hot Swimmer

I guess only university biblical studies will teach Roman Latin. Many european languages have the root of Roman Latin. Understanding the root will make one easy to master other european languages. Can still find roman latin in many old school logo.

On 18 février 2016 at 2:14 AM, Guest Hot Swimmer said:

I guess only university biblical studies will teach Roman Latin. Many european languages have the root of Roman Latin. Understanding the root will make one easy to master other european languages. Can still find roman latin in many old school logo.

You are right about Roman roots. But many colleges or "lycées" (=secondary) still teach Latin in France, even if it's slowly decreasing.

kind of picking up korean on my own. even though it may be tough but as long as you have the passion to learn, it'll keep you going. I'm learning korean because i'm want to be able to understand the meaning of the songs that i usually listen to, without having to always referring to online translations. haha.

On 19 February 2016 at 0:47 AM, hey.yo said:

kind of picking up korean on my own. even though it may be tough but as long as you have the passion to learn, it'll keep you going. I'm learning korean because i'm want to be able to understand the meaning of the songs that i usually listen to, without having to always referring to online translations. haha.

Do you watch Korean dramas too? I've no idea, but I am learning Korean language for the culture and the possibility of working/living there in the future, but then I don't really watch/follow many Korean dramas.

It's kinda impeding my learning progress where people at my level (going to intermediate) can listen way better than me!

Edited by smallboy

I am a 24 years old guy, just wanting to know more friends..

There are many events in Singapore, including language exchange meetups.

The Korean meetup is quite big I think.

As for me, I am more or less done with living in Japan, and would like to focus on other aspirations. ;)

Image00109.jpg

I'm always running after you.

You are my ideal.

You are me.

I am currently  learning Thai - Thai is tonal language, kinda hard to master. 

The youngsters in the class really pick it up fast.

I am the only one over 50 in the class.

Have attended 5 out of 12 out of the basic 1 levels.

Vocab is easy to learn but sentences constructions seems harder.

My main reason of learning Thai is due to the fact I have decided to retire in Thailand in 2017.

I have gather loads of retirement in Thailand Information.....

Edited by inbody123

9 hours ago, smallboy said:

Do you watch Korean dramas too? I've no idea, but I am learning Korean language for the culture and the possibility of working/living there in the future, but then I don't really watch/follow many Korean dramas.

It's kinda impeding my learning progress where people at my level (going to intermediate) can listen way better than me!

Hmm I don't follow k dramas. I follow more on kpop and occasionally k variety shows. 

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...
16 minutes ago, analogous said:

Hi, any Mandarin teacher here who can teach me conversational Mandarin? I am serious in learning. I know a little...but can't progress much even after watching ch8 drama shows. They speak too fast.

Lol why look for Mandarin teacher here... (unless there's a fantasy roleplay you plan to actualise). R u thinking of getting Mandarin tuition for free, or...?

8 hours ago, Cube3 said:

Lol why look for Mandarin teacher here... (unless there's a fantasy roleplay you plan to actualise). R u thinking of getting Mandarin tuition for free, or...?

Oh i will pay of course.. No la..fantasy or not ..haha..Im just looking around here for options and recommendation..as well as outside.

Like how there are running groups here in bw, maybe there are language groups here too or ppl here might have contacts.

I tried using a few mobile apps to learn chinese too but feel there isnt much progress. I think i need guidance and structure. Cant seem to learn on my own.

That awkward moment when you say goodbye and then walk in the same direction...

Sometimes i just feel disappointed with myself that im chinese but cant speak fluent mandarin. Especially to old cleaner or hawker stall owner or new people that i meet. It's embarassing. Or with a group of colleagues who feel more comfortable speaking in mandarin..then u will feel left out. Or they think u r too stuck up. 

There are many edu centres and choices when i do a google search. Felt overwhelm. So that's why i ask here.

That awkward moment when you say goodbye and then walk in the same direction...

1 hour ago, analogous said:

Oh i will pay of course.. No la..fantasy or not ..haha..Im just looking around here for options and recommendation..as well as outside.

Like how there are running groups here in bw, maybe there are language groups here too or ppl here might have contacts.

I tried using a few mobile apps to learn chinese too but feel there isnt much progress. I think i need guidance and structure. Cant seem to learn on my own.

I could give a helping hand if you like, though I'm not a teacher bit Mandarin is my mother tongue. 

Guest OlderGen

Will older generation Chinese understand, due to English is preferred language, sooner or later the younger generation won't be able to speak basic Mandarin or dialects let alone fluent?

Sometimes when you bought something from the stall uncle or auntie, they can get a little angry when you conversed in English to them if you are a Chinese.

2 hours ago, analogous said:

Sometimes i just feel disappointed with myself that im chinese but cant speak fluent mandarin. Especially to old cleaner or hawker stall owner or new people that i meet. It's embarassing. Or with a group of colleagues who feel more comfortable speaking in mandarin..then u will feel left out. Or they think u r too stuck up. 

There are many edu centres and choices when i do a google search. Felt overwhelm. So that's why i ask here.

Perhaps this is what you are looking for...? If need 1-to-1 practice, I do have some conversational mandarin notes/books...

https://www.meetup.com/Singapore-Chinese-Meetup-Group/

• Guest locked this topic