Male HQ

Academy Awards (Oscars) 2016

jeeves

The Oscars have been getting much attention from the press in the recent months for their choice of nominees this year.

So here are the contenders for some of the more 'popular' categories. 

Best Actor in a Leading Role:

1) Bryan Cranston - Trumbo

2) Matt Damon - The Martian

3) Leonardo DiCaprio - The Revenant 

4) Michael Fassbender - Steve Jobs

5) Eddie Redmayne - The Danish Girl

Best Actress in a Leading Role:

1) Cate Blanchett - Carol

2) Brie Larson - Room

3) Jennifer Lawrence - Joy

4) Charlotte Rampling - 45 Years

5) Saoirse Ronan - Brooklyn

Best Actor in a Supporting Role:

1) Christian Bale - The Big Short

2) Tom Hardy - The Revenant

3) Mark Rylance - Bridge of Spies

4) Mark Ruffalo - Spotlight

5) Sylvester Stallone - Creed

Best Actress in a Supporting Role:

1) Jennifer Jason Leight - The Hateful Eight

2) Rooney Mara - Carol

3) Rachel McAdams - Spotlight

4) Alicia Vikander - The Danish Girl

5) Kate Winslet - Steve Jobs

Best Picture:

1) The Big Short

2) The Revenant

3) Bridge of Spies

4) Brooklyn

5) Mad Max : Fury Road

6) The Martian

7) Room

8) Spotlight 

I have yet to watch the performances by all the nominees but would love to hear your thoughts about the possible winners.

Movie reviews would be great as well!

BEST ACTOR - i loved bryan cranstan and eddie redmayne for their presence and personal charm... the oscar should go to leonardo decaprio. his character in the revenant is simply too strong!

BEST ACTRESS - cate is splendid as usual, but she must not win otherwise she'll tie with meryl streep ( i just being biased here, hahaha)... the oscar must go to brie larson! she is just great in room! 

SUPPORTING ACTOR - i always love christian bale's work, but he is over-rated here... tom hardy might win because the revenant is very strong!... i am torn between mark ruffalo and slyvester stallone.

SUPPORTING ACTRESS - my personal favorite is jennifer jason leigh but she will not win cause alicia vikander performance is heart breaking in the danish girl, and rooney mara is pure joy to watch in carol. the oscar will go to alicia.

spotlight should and must win best picture! its a very well made, very important movie!

sidenote :

lily tomlin should be nominated in GRANDMA!

5 hours ago, puppyfart said:

didn't get a chance to see all.

but rooting for brie larson

and that little boy surely deserves a transformer oscar toy or something

So you've watched Room already?

Anyway, I'm still mind blown after watching The Revenant. It's one of those movies which you can't stop thinking about. 

2 hours ago, mith said:

BEST ACTOR - i loved bryan cranstan and eddie redmayne for their presence and personal charm... the oscar should go to leonardo decaprio. his character in the revenant is simply too strong!

BEST ACTRESS - cate is splendid as usual, but she must not win otherwise she'll tie with meryl streep ( i just being biased here, hahaha)... the oscar must go to brie larson! she is just great in room! 

SUPPORTING ACTOR - i always love christian bale's work, but he is over-rated here... tom hardy might win because the revenant is very strong!... i am torn between mark ruffalo and slyvester stallone.

SUPPORTING ACTRESS - my personal favorite is jennifer jason leigh but she will not win cause alicia vikander performance is heart breaking in the danish girl, and rooney mara is pure joy to watch in carol. the oscar will go to alicia.

spotlight should and must win best picture! its a very well made, very important movie!

sidenote :

I think Spotlight needs some major recognition too. And Mark Ruffalo was amazing in it. Even down to the way he spoke while pursing his side lip was just like the actual character. So brilliant. 

I have yet to watch The Big Short and The Hateful Eight. Are they good?

9 hours ago, jeeves said:

Ahh because it was too long?  I was pretty drawn into the Spotlight story line that I didn't feel the time passing by. 

Yes, the fast-paced dialogue requires some serious focusing... I just wish they'd played out a bit more about the victims, the emotions of priests/victims. As is, it's mostly one journalist-engaged conversation after another....

I watched The Danish Girl yesterday and found that it was a lacklustre movie to watch. I felt like the plot lacked depth and should've delved into  Eddie's character even more. 

That being said, Alicia Vikander was amazing! It can clearly be seen that the camera loves her.

On 2/12/2016 at 5:08 PM, mith said:

sidenote :

haha i got all correct except supporting actor!

2 hours ago, mith said:

haha i got all correct except supporting actor!

Looks like your predictions were really accurate!

But how did you guess that Spotlight would win? Because I had a strong feeling that The Big Short was going to win.

I really wasn't expecting Best Supportint Actor to go to Mark Rylance though. 

Edited by jeeves