Male HQ

Want to learn vegetarian cooking skills

yoyo74

I want to learn vegetarians cooking skill, anyone can teach me?

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Alternative to protein/mock meat for vegetarians. Easily to made your own from chickpea flour. I have yet to try even though I have the flour, personally just prefers greens over mock meats. Chickpea flour easily available locally in Indian groceries, also known as Gram flour.

On 12/8/2018 at 11:40 AM, shyc said:

Alternative to protein/mock meat for vegetarians. Easily to made your own from chickpea flour. I have yet to try even though I have the flour, personally just prefers greens over mock meats. Chickpea flour easily available locally in Indian groceries, also known as Gram flour.

Looks interesting...

Amateur vegetarian, so need my food to taste delicious like in meat-meals! That's why going mock is quite helpful. Like below photo of char-siew noodle-spaghetti: mock roast meat & mushrooms, with avocado chunks on side, generous sprinkle of parmesan & parsley, noodles dipped in pesto.

If only I don't have to also wash the dishes :(

charsiew noodles.jpg

10 hours ago, Cube3 said:

...Amateur vegetarian, so need my food to taste delicious like in meat-meals! That's why going mock is quite helpful. Like below photo of char-siew noodle-spaghetti: mock roast meat & mushrooms, with avocado chunks on side, generous sprinkle of parmesan & parsley, noodles dipped in pesto.

Yes, been there done that... no matter beginner or mature vegetarian, still need to taste good. We live just once, so why torture ourselves. These days many are into non these or that; no process sugar, no dairy, no mock stuff etc. But to each their own, certain directions may be achievable by others but not for everyone. Personally I just use what ever is within reach. Man make rules... and rules are made to be broken... ;):shhh: Incidentally in place of mock roast meat, can use hand shredded king oyster mushroom. A bit expensive thou but is widely  known in the vegetarian circle to look and somewhat taste like shredded chicken. Of cos need to sauté with seasonings to 'enhance' or 'replicate' mock meats.

king-oyster-mushroom-933366.jpg

10 hours ago, Cube3 said:

If only I don't have to also wash the dishes :(

There is a very easy solution to that... plant a banana. :whistle::D

Another meat alternative 'tempeh' fermented soya bean. Available in some supermarkets and easily found in wet market under the beancurd/noodles stallholders. Wrap in banana leave than covered in brown Manila paper. For first timer, after purchase, have a look inside, if still look raw bean texture, leave it out on the table. Room temperature would allow more fermentation and by nightfall, usually it will turn fluffy white with mould. Personally prefer this more robust flavour. If it's very moist and got a funky smell, probably gone bad. Should have a nice beanie smell. It is normally fried to get the best out of the flavour. Eaten as is or stir fry with sambal and other vegetables. Can also be stew as seen below. 

Not a huge fan of online shopping especially since things are easily available in supermarkets these days. Only in the earlier days when you have to track specialty vegetarian stores for mock products. 

With CNY just round the corner, 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I have been vegetarian for 9 years but only started cooking 2 months ago. I have stopped eating outside cos I can’t handle outside food anymore. Outside food gives me food coma probably cos of MSG and other chemicals.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.