Male HQ

Fitness classes vs Self training

jdu

Just wanted to know how often would one go visit the gym for attending fitness classes vs self training w weights and machines or all of the above activites?

For me i started with going for PT many years back as i was new to thr gym scene for toning up and building muscles. Then after two years i started attending classes like pilates and yoga. Now moving on to try other classes and i try to go 4 days a week. A mixture of classes and own workout.

Life is like a river flowing into the sea, Love Life.

Love, Joy and Peace.

I agree with xydboy.

Maybe classes can be a way to learn to train?  This is not the usual way. 

Fitness training (weight training and aerobics) are individual activities. 

They are usually self- learned, maybe with the help of a personal trainer for a while.

Since fitness training should be a life long activity, one does not need "classes" forever. 

Once it is learned, it is applied from then on.  Like one learns to drive a car,

and then one keeps doing it forever without need of "classes". 

Other training is more adequate for doing in groups on a steady basis, like martial arts training,

where one keeps practicing under the direction of a teacher year after year.

5 hours ago, hunkchaser said:

My concern about attending fitness classes is that they might be either too light or too heavy for me. I have hired Personal Trainers before. I have learned from them, so I'm training on my own for a while.

For group classes, the instructors have to try to balance the style of teaching. They can't set it too easy neither can they pitch it too difficult. Most of the time, its just on the average difficulty across the class, but there are scenarios where people just couldn't keep it.

6 hours ago, azimuth said:

The thing with classes is that it is more than just knowledge of how to train and what to train. It is social as well. Social motivation and social engagements with gym members from different walks of life, young and old. :-)

One thing is to train, another is to socialize.

Fitness training should be an individual activity because every body is different.

A good compromise is to train with a partner, which is more sociable although not superior to training alone.

Then, separate from the fitness training, one can engage in other physical activities in a group, that are social. Like playing football.

A similar case is to learn to play a musical instrument.

The training in playing an instrument is done individually (it would be a mess of sound if two or more people train together).

And then, to be sociable one plays in an orchestra or a small ensemble.

8 minutes ago, Steve5380 said:

One thing is to train, another is to socialize.

Fitness training should be an individual activity because every body is different.

A good compromise is to train with a partner, which is more sociable although not superior to training alone.

Then, separate from the fitness training, one can engage in other physical activities in a group, that are social. Like playing football.

A similar case is to learn to play a musical instrument.

The training in playing an instrument is done individually (it would be a mess of sound if two or more people train together).

And then, to be sociable one plays in an orchestra or a small ensemble.

There are certain parts which I don't agree because I have experienced what it is like to be socially motivated in a group during fitness training. Nonetheless, how a person best function is very individual and should be left for each to explore. :-)

10 hours ago, azimuth said:

There are certain parts which I don't agree because I have experienced what it is like to be socially motivated in a group during fitness training. Nonetheless, how a person best function is very individual and should be left for each to explore. :-)

Like you do, everyone else has his own opinions about how to train if he thinks about it and has is own experience, influences.

This does not take away from comments and discussions about the subject being something positive..

If we should leave each to explore, then it does not make sense to have a thread here to discuss this subject.

And since the same applies to any subject,  there should be no other threads and no BW.

But it is easy to see that the main objective of fitness training is not to socialize but ... to train the body.  

And this, believe it or not, is best done with concentration.

What is the need to be "socially motivated" to do fitness training? 

Maybe some people would not train at all unless they have this "social motivation"?

During training we need to think about what we are doing and analize what we are feeling.

Training should not be done by letting the body do some trivial movements while the mind wanders with more important thoughts, 

In my gym there is a group of old folks who come around mid-morning to use some stationary bikes.  Some of them read the newspaper while they pedal, others chat without end during their slow workout and are very happy and proud of their "workout".  None of them makes any progress, and they would look exactly the same year after year except that one sees them older and older.  Is this "group fitness training"?  It surely is, and they do it because they enjoy it.  Good for them!

Edited by Steve5380

4 hours ago, Steve5380 said:

Like you do, everyone else has his own opinions about how to train if he thinks about it and has is own experience, influences.

This does not take away from comments and discussions about the subject being something positive..

If we should leave each to explore, then it does not make sense to have a thread here to discuss this subject.

And since the same applies to any subject,  there should be no other threads and no BW.

Precisely. I will like to highlight that I am merely expressing my opinion and not imposing it on anybody.  Since this is a "vs" topic, I am just shedding some light on the positivity of fitness classes.

I suspect your main discontentment could be the social element of fitness. I am not implying that there must be a social element in fitness which is strongly evident in fitness classes. I am merely touching on the fact that there is a social role for instructors or gym-goers to play in motivating one another to reach their fitness goals. This eventually encourages people to come back and improve themselves. They get stronger every day.

At the end of the day, there is no right or wrong. If one way does not work for a person, there is no harm trying out other ways. The most important thing is to have a healthy mind and body. :-)

Edited by azimuth

9 hours ago, azimuth said:

Precisely. I will like to highlight that I am merely expressing my opinion and not imposing it on anybody.  Since this is a "vs" topic, I am just shedding some light on the positivity of fitness classes.

I suspect your main discontentment could be the social element of fitness. I am not implying that there must be a social element in fitness which is strongly evident in fitness classes. I am merely touching on the fact that there is a social role for instructors or gym-goers to play in motivating one another to reach their fitness goals. This eventually encourages people to come back and improve themselves. They get stronger every day.

At the end of the day, there is no right or wrong. If one way does not work for a person, there is no harm trying out other ways. The most important thing is to have a healthy mind and body. :-)

I am glad that you see that a "social element" is not essential in fitness training.

And I think you are right in estimating that the positive in fitness classes is that it can motivate people to work out.

But beyond the beginning stage, there should not be a need to motivate people at the gym.

If they are there, it should be because they are motivated in the first place.

On my part, I recognize that there are people in a gym whose motivation is not the workout but the socializing.

This is fine with me, as long as they don't bother with loud chatting and by hanging on to equipment they don't seriously utilize.

7 hours ago, Steve5380 said:

I am glad that you see that a "social element" is not essential in fitness training.

And I think you are right in estimating that the positive in fitness classes is that it can motivate people to work out.

But beyond the beginning stage, there should not be a need to motivate people at the gym.

If they are there, it should be because they are motivated in the first place.

On my part, I recognize that there are people in a gym whose motivation is not the workout but the socializing.

This is fine with me, as long as they don't bother with loud chatting and by hanging on to equipment they don't seriously utilize.

To be honest, I have not mentioned that it is essential. It is an optional component which may help gym go-ers appreciate a workout better. You may be a professional, but there are certainly novices at the gym who may appreciate instructor-led classes to understand the workout better.

When I refer to social, I am not referring to a bunch of aunties talking at the coffee shop. It is about meeting people who is passionate about the workout as you are, who can motivate and inspire you to do better and greater.

The gym does not have to be a place where machines, iron and muscles rule. :-)

2 hours ago, azimuth said:

When I refer to social, I am not referring to a bunch of aunties talking at the coffee shop. It is about meeting people who is passionate about the workout as you are, who can motivate and inspire you to do better and greater.

The gym does not have to be a place where machines, iron and muscles rule. :-)

I am glad that you are as passionate about the workout as I am.

Well...  I'm not so much "passionate" about the workout as I am about the results it produces,  And I like to communicate this passion.

This is why I recommend that this passion is best fulfilled if one uses a gym as if it is a place where machines and iron rule to help build healthy muscle.

For this, after a period of learning that can be as social as one wants it to be,

one should become SELF SUFFICIENT and CAPABLE to work out with concentration and improve one's  skill to work out,

because the passion should last one's whole life.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Den Yuan said:

Training classes are expensive. They cost just as much as globo gym memberships or even more.

Better spend the money in gym membership.

The workout you can learn from books, from good internet sites, from watching others, etc.

The important thing is to go through the doors of the gym, 

and once there start to use the machines, weights...

without overdoing it until you know a little more about working out.

1 hour ago, KittensandBjorn said:

It was Les Mills group classes that made me active in the gym. I even did  RPM module training and became an instructor. 

It s a matter of character also.  Learning can come individually or in groups.

Team games, dancing, martial arts training, and many other activities need to be done in groups, with some individual training as well.

But generic fitness training is something that can be done perfectly well without the need of a partner or larger group.

This can be an advantage for those of us who have a character that thrives in individual work, without having to gather in groups and be lead by an instructor.

• 3 years later...
On 4/25/2019 at 10:55 AM, Blindleech said:

HEllo. looking for someone to give me personal training to build myself up for ippt in about 10 months time. unable to pay market rate. but willing to give allowance and free meals/ drinks. Please pm me if u are keen. 

You can start by reading about the nature of the ippt.  It seems to have 3 components:  sit-ups, push-ups and a 2.4 km run.

Sit-ups involve the abdominal muscles.  You can find in BW threads plenty about working out these muscles, and even more on the Internet.

Push-ups involve the pectoral muscles. Same as with sit-ups, you can find plenty of info to train them.

Running:  one of the most popular aerobic exercises, with info all over the place.

Summing up,  if cost is a problem,  although using the machines and weights at a gym under guidance of a trainer is optimum,  you can do much by yourself.  Resolve and dedication is more important than money.  As a compromise, you could have a personal trainer for a month of the 10 to learn, then proceed on your own.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.