Male HQ

Top gym pet peeves

jo.sam

Okay this thread is inspired by @CamperBoy and @hunkchaser. Share your gym pet peeves!

1. Body odour.

I would like to go up to this certain guy at my gym and introduce to him the wonders of deodorant.

2. Cruisers who don't get the hint.
Sorry I really don't like to cruise or get cruised at the gym. Never shit where you eat. The gym is a serious space where I work out and improve myself - not to have sex.

Wooohoo! 

1) people who don't put weights back 

2) okay don't flame me, but some guys can be so cocky in the gym as though they are some alpha male. Gross hahahah

3) was at tpy Safra earlier and the cruisers were so damn obvious! Hanging around the locker room, standing around the urinal, and forever "changing" into their clothes. 

Ergh im sure I got more. Lol

Edited by CamperBoy

33 minutes ago, CamperBoy said:

3) was at tpy Safra earlier and the cruisers are so damn obvious! Hanging around the locker room, standing around the urinal, and forever "changing" into their clothes. 

Yea, always seems to have some of them there

1) Extremely loud grunting people in the gym

2) dropping weights when they can just put it down properly

3) people who take the weight you are using without asking

1 hour ago, CamperBoy said:

2) okay don't flame me, but some guys can be so cocky in the gym as though they are some alpha male. Gross hahahah

I know those. They walk around with their chests puffed out even though there's either nothing there or what's there is fat. Then some of them like to "warm up" by shadow boxing.

Another one:

3. People who lift their shirt up to look at their abs in the mirror every now and then.

If it wasn't there 5 minutes ago, it won't be there now, dumbass.

1 hour ago, jo.sam said:

I know those. They walk around with their chests puffed out even though there's either nothing there or what's there is fat. Then some of them like to "warm up" by shadow boxing.

Another one:

3. People who lift their shirt up to look at their abs in the mirror every now and then.

OMG i did that once. Lifted off my top to look at my abs. The guy in front of me (after looking at my abs) was like trying his best to flex his flabby arms. I felt so....=p

As for pet peeve, its the same as what was mentioned, people don't put back their weights. I also come across octopus where one person uses 4 pairs of dumbbells and they refuse to share. 

1 hour ago, jo.sam said:

Another one:

no one does that for me to see leh LOL

1)people hogging machine as if the machine is @ their own home.

2) texting messages or using phone while sitting on machine

3) people who talk to their peers as if they are professionals when their body clearly lose out to their peers (they are in fact even bad shape)

4)body odor...

3 hours ago, Kimochi said:

1)people hogging machine as if the machine is @ their own home.

2) texting messages or using phone while sitting on machine

3) people who talk to their peers as if they are professionals when their body clearly lose out to their peers (they are in fact even bad shape)

4)body odor...

OHHHH! Number 3!

There is this dude who is actually quite out of shape. But I feel disgustingly annoyed (don't know why!) whenever I see him strutting around the gym, teaching others how to carry the weights with correct form when he himself is not doing it right. And he has been doing that without any progression on his physique for 2 years now. People that he "taught" has all grown to achieve their desire physique or getting there. LOL

Then there is this guy who looks muscular but we all know he has the fats around his waist and stomach area. He tries to be a butterfly in the gym chatting with everyone and thinks people are admiring his physique. He is big with HIGH BF.

Disclaimer: I am not all that perfect. I know I have imperfections. But hey, this is about my pet peeves on others right in the gym? LOL

1. Gays who seem to be in the gym just to stare at serious gym goers.

2. Those who don't remove heavy plates after using barbels. (Be kind to ladies or those who struggle to carry heavy weights.)

3. Hogging or monopolizing an equipment while spending most of their time playing with their handphones rather than doing gym stuffs.

4. Flexing in front in the mirror and admiring your body is not bad. But doing it frequently is annoying. (You can do it in front of your personal mirrors.)

5. Choping two or more equipments. (Though, when the gym is not packed, it's just fine.)

6. Those who wear too skimpy and 'revealing' clothes.

7. Those who don't their 'developed muscles and strength' right after the last set.

Edited by hunkchaser

My pet peeves at the gym:

1) Hogging of equipment, especially when using the phone

2) Standing next to you in hope that you quickly vacate the machine i.e. you should ask how many sets and if sharing is possible

3) Not sharing the busy equipment at all and oblivious of the gymmers around who are waiting to use it

4) Chit-chat

5) Lack of 'reservation' timeslots for each machine. Those who plan very well can easily reserve timeslots for the various machines (that is what my gym in Japan practices)

Image00109.jpg

I'm always running after you.

You are my ideal.

You are me.

It is great that girls are coming in to keep themselves fit.

But I realised that most of the girls, don't really like to share. I encountered one lady, and when I asked to share, she gave me the face, looked away in disgust and refused to budge or even speak to me. Like hello, can just maybe she is finishing up, or watever lah. She just ignored me outright when I was all polite and smiley. I just needed to use a couple of sets on that machine and tired. And it doesn't help her that I am gay and soon berated her about how unethical she is bla bla. LOL

She got up and left the gym. Didn't see her in the gym ever after that incident.

17 minutes ago, CamperBoy said:

But I realised that most of the girls, don't really like to share. I encountered one lady, and when I asked to share, she gave me the face, looked away in disgust and refused to budge or even speak to me. Like hello, can just maybe she is finishing up, or watever lah. She just ignored me outright when I was all polite and smiley. I just needed to use a couple of sets on that machine and tired. And it doesn't help her that I am gay and soon berated her about how unethical she is bla bla. LOL

She got up and left the gym. Didn't see her in the gym ever after that incident.

Honestly, I don't want to share equipment as much as possible. Whenever someone approached me asking to share the equipment, I will just say "give me one more set" in a polite way. At least, I don't snub them.

Sharing weights, benches and equipment is considered good gym etiquette guys. When I used to work out in clubfitt (now Activesg) everyone took turns out of necessity and are usually happy to do so. It's part of a healthy gym culture.

When I moved to Pure, I realised people haven't learnt this concept.

As far as sharing goes, I only encountered it in Singapore gyms.

At my Tokyo gym, it is bad practice to share as it is preferable that you finish your training for that equipment all at one shot.

It also depends on your age.

If you are in the same age group or older, the person will tell you to wait or maybe give you the machine.

If younger, might be ignored and all the staff would say is not to use that machine during that time period.

I dislike this age hierarchy thing but cultures do permeate gym practices too.

Image00109.jpg

You are my ideal.

You are me.

On 24/03/2016 at 9:30 AM, qsefthu78 said:

Nothing in your lists tops loud talking, hyena - laughing, talkative gymmers who are noisier than aunties in the market.

Which is why I work out with earphones and spotify on EDM. ;)

On 24/03/2016 at 1:49 PM, swimboi said:

Octopuses who take three sets of dumbells and take an eternity for rest time. 

Urgh there's one guy who takes four sets where I work out!!

Guest Guest
On ‎3‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 11:44 AM, CamperBoy said:

Sounds familiar to me. There is this bald malay guy around 40s-50s at tampines safra gym. Not sure if he is PLU and if he is reading it now..haha. He is a friendly social butterfly guy and likes to chat with people and teaching others how to use the machines or technique. Sometime can see him "bioing" younger guys and going over to correct them. 

I agree that it's also annoying to get disturbed by this type of people as we spent time and money to train our body, however if it is a good advice during training, I should accept it humbly.

OHHHH! Number 3!

There is this dude who is actually quite out of shape. But I feel disgustingly annoyed (don't know why!) whenever I see him strutting around the gym, teaching others how to carry the weights with correct form when he himself is not doing it right. And he has been doing that without any progression on his physique for 2 years now. People that he "taught" has all grown to achieve their desire physique or getting there. LOL

Then there is this guy who looks muscular but we all know he has the fats around his waist and stomach area. He tries to be a butterfly in the gym chatting with everyone and thinks people are admiring his physique. He is big with HIGH BF.

Disclaimer: I am not all that perfect. I know I have imperfections. But hey, this is about my pet peeves on others right in the gym? LOL

A guy was using station A n left his things on stationB. When i politely asked to use station B, he showed me an unhappy face.

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

never argue with the guests. let them bark all they want.

结缘不结

不解缘

After I have said what I wanna say, I don't care what you say.

看穿不说穿

1. People who make sexual moaning grunts/ noises when lifting. It's a turn off, distasteful and distracting. Come on, a manly huff works better!

2. People who keep staring/glaring at u for no reason and making me feel like I'm doing an exercise wrong

3. I think this is a common one. Using phone while at a machine during peak hours

On 2016年3月19日 at 8:34 PM, azimuth said:

People who leave their towels on the benches or dump it one corner in the shower cubicle.

Couldn't agree more. I don't even want to use that shower cubicle and will rather wait it out. It also happens in the steam/sauna rooms. Or worse, empty protein shake plastic cups.

Also those who use the blow dryer on their pubes.

On 3/22/2016 at 10:21 AM, CamperBoy said:

I'm experiencing the same. Since there are way less females in the weights area, my anecdotal sample size is small. But the two, and only two, ladies I have approached to share the machines, gave me an unfriendly look which made me wonder if they thought I was trying to hook them up.

Well not that I want to gush about men, but most of them men I approach are very cool about sharing.

• 3 weeks later...

1. Chit chatting away while hogging equipment, along with the "paint me like a french girl" pose. :o

2. Having to share a bench with 4+ people while being the first :/

3. Body odor... I have a understanding for people with BO problems, but not dudes who walk in circles spreading their "in your face" aroma.

Under your influence, you're the magic in my veins.

1. Sitting on the equipment and using HP. Yep, you might be resting - but for 5-10 minutes texting away?! And sorry to offend - but the worst offenders are usually sistahs who give you the evil eye (seriously, come on) and cross their legs very tightly, with poor muscle tone. If you want to improve your body - then focus!! 

2. Those who treat the gym like a social club, i.e. clusterfucking around the drinks/ water cooler and chatting away.

3. Straight men out to impress their gfs/ dates - hogging equipment while demonstrating, then perving as the girl giggles and (mis)uses the machine, repeat ad nauseum. While no one else can use the machine.

4. Those who leave their disgusting towels everywhere in the changing room. Also guys who need an entire changing room bench for all their personal shit while they preen away.  

Just a personal preference, but maybe some people should remove all weights from the barbell when they are done with the machine.

It will create an impression that someone is still using the machine with those weights on the barbell.

And the funny thing is that some dumbbells are also left lying around the benches when obviously the user has already left.

It is also kinda' sad that the dumbbells are not placed in the right order as well.

Image00109.jpg

You are my ideal.

You are me.

• 2 months later...
Guest Guest

There's this super kwailan looking mature FT guy who works with a PT at my gym. His PT will very politely and humbly ask to share a machine and, like any good PT, adjust the resistance for his client. The kwailan face will not bother to acknowledge you, despite the fact that you are sharing the machine you are already using. He treats the PT like some kind of servant. Ok, so in life you pay some people for services, but that does not entitle you to an attitude. But this FT is of that culture which is very 骄矜, pay a little and expect to be treated like royalty.

1 hour ago, Guest Guest said:

There's this super kwailan looking mature FT guy who works with a PT at my gym. His PT will very politely and humbly ask to share a machine and, like any good PT, adjust the resistance for his client. The kwailan face will not bother to acknowledge you, despite the fact that you are sharing the machine you are already using. He treats the PT like some kind of servant. Ok, so in life you pay some people for services, but that does not entitle you to an attitude. But this FT is of that culture which is very 骄矜, pay a little and expect to be treated like royalty.

K. We know which culture already.

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

never argue with the guests. let them bark all they want.

结缘不结

不解缘

After I have said what I wanna say, I don't care what you say.

看穿不说穿

1) Guys who join gym only to cruise the steamroom n shower. The steamroom is there for heating muscles after a workout. It is not a sex room

2) Guy who don't wipe up their gunk after they've unloaded on the steamroom floor or worse, its bench.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 years later...

Working out with your top off in an indoor studio/gym is gross, even if you have the most amazing body and it’s great to look at. 

Save that for outdoors please. More people can look at you outdoors too.

• 2 weeks later...

1. Not returning weight plates after usage. (Unless your domestic helpers are coming to gym to return the plates, nobody likes to clean up your “shit”)

2. Hogging over several machines or dumbbells at a time. (With one pair of arms/hands, I seriously do not understand how one can manage to utilize 3-4 machines/dumbbells) 
3. Constantly flexing and admiring oneself in the mirror while hogging the machine. (If you really love yourself, please at least do the flexing in the locker!)

• 2 months later...
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.