Male HQ

Nervous about first time in gym

Guest Shy Boy

Guest Shy Boy

Hi all,

I need some advice for my first visit to a gym. My friend invited me to this straight gym and I have never been to one. May I ask a few questions?

Is it a normal practice to change in the locker room or go to a private bath, etc. to change? I personally am not confident with my body since I am abit fat. So I feel paiseh to change with my friend in the locker room. Having said so, if there is shower, is it normal to bring in everything to change in the shower before and after the work out?

Thanks a lot, from a shy boy.

Change wherever in the locker room you feel comfortable. If you are self conscious, why not try to lose some weight on your own? Look at some YouTube videos on home workouts that do not require equipment. Since you are already fat, your body weight should provide a fair amount of resistance to build decent sized muscles. As you shed the fat, those muscles will then start to show.

I am trying to shed but that's when my friend heard of my attempt and jio me to gym. Hence I have not reached the weight that I am confident yet.

But anyway does locker room contains any private corner for change of clothes?

1 hour ago, Guest Shy Boy said:

Hi all,

I need some advice for my first visit to a gym. My friend invited me to this straight gym and I have never been to one. May I ask a few questions?

Is it a normal practice to change in the locker room or go to a private bath, etc. to change? I personally am not confident with my body since I am abit fat. So I feel paiseh to change with my friend in the locker room. Having said so, if there is shower, is it normal to bring in everything to change in the shower before and after the work out?

Gym also got orientation ah? Str vs Gay gym ah? Theres a toilet inside the gym,  just  go toilet change people won't judge. Yea you can bring everything into shower  and change to a fresh pair of clothes after bathing. 

36 minutes ago, Guest said:

I am trying to shed but that's when my friend heard of my attempt and jio me to gym. Hence I have not reached the weight that I am confident yet.

Actually, there is never a weight that a person is going to be confident of. You should get used to your own size soon.

10 minutes ago, Guest Fatty said:

I'm also afraid to step into a gym because I'm scared those fit zai will laugh at me.

We have other things better to do than to laugh at fat ppl at the gym. At one point of our lives we started off skinny ir super fat and we understand what it is like. The fit ppl there are only interested in pumping iron n then fucking off. Even if they do look down on you, it would be probably kept in their minds n you wont even notice. 

Edited by Clickclock

58c8af435f3b0_bwbanner.jpg.add74f89662a08c064062b974efe1ce7.jpg

I draw sexy men, visit http://www.toastwire.tumblr.com click on 'My Artworks'. Willing to take on comissions

2 hours ago, Guest Shy Boy said:

Hi all,

Just go into the shower cubicles to change if its an issue to you. Dont see your bod to be your downfall, take it as your motivation to slim down.

Youve alredy built up respect for yourself by making the first step to go to the gym in  the first place. 

I draw sexy men, visit http://www.toastwire.tumblr.com click on 'My Artworks'. Willing to take on comissions

I'm thinking of going to the gym to bulk up cause I'm tired of being skinny... But I just haven't found the time go do so yet. Also, it's kinda embarrassing to be alone if you're new I guess lol. 

It'd be nice to have a gym buddy though... Maybe that's what you need. Someone whom you could work out with! :) 

5 minutes ago, fallmerees said:

I'm thinking of going to the gym to bulk up cause I'm tired of being skinny... But I just haven't found the time go do so yet. Also, it's kinda embarrassing to be alone if you're new I guess lol. 

It'd be nice to have a gym buddy though... Maybe that's what you need. Someone whom you could work out with! :) 

If you cant find the time to do so, then you gotta replan your schedule, open up a calendar document on excel and plan accordingly, there is always time for gym.

I used to wake up late around 12 noon to get my stuff done but I realized i could simply gym before 12 and thats how i got started.

I have been gymming for quite a while and I always change in a cubicle. No big deal at all.

Nobody actually cares about you. You think gym goers will sit, people watch and laugh at every individuals? Come on!

I am beginning to think this is a troll thread.

Never been to a straight gym? So tell us your experience in a gay gym then.

2 hours ago, Guest said:

Hi there. I really identify with you - I have been conscious about my body before and the thought of going to a gym is daunting - especially so when you know nuts about it. Its really great that your friend has asked you to go with him - I assume he doesn't mind showing you the ropes. Let him know you don't mind going but are nervous as you've never been to one. Ask for some guidance and I'm sure that he'll be ready to show you around.

A lot of times we tend to overplay how others would judge us. But as others have mentioned, don't think about it - others have more pressing issues to think about. :) Just smile and focus on you - you're there for a reason and a good one at that. Once that becomes your focus you can tune out our own amplified thoughts of what others think about us.

In Poly, I avoided the gym because I knew nothing about what I should do, what the etiquette is. My female classmate volunteered to accompany me and since she offered, I went ahead. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be and I remember that we had a good time exercising.

Just last year I signed up for a run with a colleague so that I would try to be more active and hopefully it would translate to being fitter. He volunteered to go running with me in the weeks leading up to the run that I be prepared to tackle the 10km. It was a good experience for sure and am forever grateful for having such people in my life to guide me. Take this opportunity with you friend and build it into something that works for you. All the best.

Thank you all for your encouragement :) and I apologize if I have caused some confusion about gay vs. straight gym. All because of my gay friend who kept telling me about his XX experience in his gym. He made him sounds like every gym he went to is about XX lo. Sorry sorry.

1 hour ago, CamperBoy said:

I have been gymming for quite a while and I always change in a cubicle. No big deal at all.

Nobody actually cares about you. You think gym goers will sit, people watch and laugh at every individuals? Come on!

I am beginning to think this is a troll thread.

Never been to a straight gym? So tell us your experience in a gay gym then.

Well... grow some brain cells first before you start thinking

My first gym was not even in Singapore, but in a country where I could only speak the language barely enough to get by.

You have to start somewhere.

Even right now, my gym routine is taking off due to better nutrition. (Should have bought a bigger bento box!)

So here are my answers to your questions:

Is it a normal practice to change in the locker room or go to a private bath, etc. to change?

> I think guys in Singapore change in the locker room. I did that too at my first gym.

I personally am not confident with my body since I am abit fat. So I feel paiseh to change with my friend in the locker room. Having said so, if there is shower, is it normal to bring in everything to change in the shower before and after the work out?

> Up to you as well. I don't anyone will make a comment unless the gym specifically insists you do not bring stuff into the shower.

Image00109.jpg

I'm always running after you.

You are my ideal.

You are me.

I started off alone too, didn't know fuck shit, and I knew I would be the sort that hated feeling like a loser who didn't know how to do anything, so I made sure I prepared beforehand, by seeing what machines were available at the gym, then watched videos on youtube at home on how to use these machines, and free weights, and how to tell if you are hitting the right muscles or not etc.

Started off with the lightest weight, literally doing 2kg bicep curls. Was it embarrassing? Yes but I knew I was targeting the correct muscle groups. Over time, you occasionally ask friends who are experienced in gymming and ask them to see your technique and correct you if it's wrong. or even be brave and ask other friendly gym users for help. Then slowly get stronger and more confident.

As for changing in public, the embarrassment of your body is only in your mind. Others will/may look but they honestly don't really care. Sure, they may pass judgment, but you won't hear it. Just keep sticking to your plan, with proper nutrition and sleep, and soon people will be looking at you and wanting to get under your towel instead ;)

4 hours ago, fallmerees said:

Nothing wrong change in the locker rm, if u have been to army, everybody naked

so can that thing

13 hours ago, Guest Shy Boy said:

Hi all,

13062380_1549578812002658_69281342376447

1. 99% wouldn't notice you if you are not hot/attractive. So you are free to do whatever you want. It comes with practice, all of us have been through that.

2. If there really is one who would notice you for being unhot/unattractive, he's just keep it to himself; he won't openly laugh at you. Besides, do you even bother about what these people think? They are worthless judgmental fucktards anyway. 

3. Gymmers in Singapore change either at the lockers or inside cubicles. To be honest no one would notice. Once again, if someone notices and judges, should you even care about these boliao idiots? :D

15 hours ago, Guest said:

Change wherever in the locker room you feel comfortable. If you are self conscious, why not try to lose some weight on your own? Look at some YouTube videos on home workouts that do not require equipment. Since you are already fat, your body weight should provide a fair amount of resistance to build decent sized muscles. As you shed the fat, those muscles will then start to show.

I think this is the only reply in this thread I disagree with. If you are self-conscious, change in the cubicles first. With time you will get used to the general nudity/half-nudity.

I have the physique of a boiled french fry and I did have your issues (I used walk to the shower area fully clothes). but over time I managed to convince myself *nobody here gives a damn how I look like*.

Depends on where you are going.

Just follow the rest or if u are going with your fren, follow your fren

Short of changing in public, I don't think there are any hard and fast rules.

And most gymmers are too self-absorbed to notice anyone/thing else, unless u are viral-video worthy.

I'm being honest here, but if I see a fat dude in the locker room, I'll steer clear cos I irrationally imagine he must be sweaty and stinky. But if it's a hot dude, I won't go and bump into him for sure, but I would also not deliberately walk around him. I won't say a word of course and will try not to be obvious I'm avoiding the fat guy. I know I shouldn't have such prejudice but it's there, I can't help it.

The only people I avoid are those creepy men who sign in and spend ALL their time in the locker room/ showers. Ugh. If they had devoted even 20% of their perving time to actual exercise...

But seriously. No one cares about you unless you are being inconsiderate/ deliberately trying to attract attention. Just hunker down and do your stuff. Persist and make good habits stick. Results will eventually come.  

In every gym, there will be straight and gay, maybe just the proportion, is like compare California gym and Safra/SSC gym, one is more gayish than the other, ya, first time maybe a bit more intimidating if alone but u r with friend right? try going on off-peak period not so crowded and it is not only slim or fat people that people will talk about, even with muscle man, there will always be someone who give you the look "hey man, my chest is bigger than yours", the simple thing to do is simply ignore them and focus on what u should be doing in the gym.

On 4/29/2016 at 1:02 AM, Sammyt said:

The only people I avoid are those creepy men who sign in and spend ALL their time in the locker room/ showers. Ugh. If they had devoted even 20% of their perving time to actual exercise...

But seriously. No one cares about you unless you are being inconsiderate/ deliberately trying to attract attention. Just hunker down and do your stuff. Persist and make good habits stick. Results will eventually come.  

@Sammyt I miss your nipple and cock hmmmm

Just to add there will bound to be those super super hunks who are Greek gods good looking etc

with attitude ...and you may find them condescending and intimidating ..especially when you need to share certain stations with them giving you that kind of unhappy look ..just don't take it to heart .. they just forgot that they are either once skinny or fat that's all..you just don't get bothered ..stay focussed on building your body slowly and with perseverance one day you will have their kind of body .

I was once snubbed by a season fit gymmer who was so atas..now its the other way round after I became gym fit he smiles to me but I just don't bother to look at him.

• 1 year later...
Guest Neh Neh
On 05/05/2016 at 1:29 AM, aedile1234 said:

lolz straight gym.. you got me there... 

Are you sure you are straight? How come you are here?

• Guest locked this topic