Male HQ

cycle25

Just wondering if anyone is a fan of the Alien series of films.

I quite enjoyed the series although I personally tend to favour the first two films.

Anyone else here enjoy this genre?

Aliens (2nd Movie) the best of the lot follow by Alien the first movie. The others are okay. I thought Prometheus was pretty good and might make a good part 2 continuation.

** Comments are my opinions, same as yours. It's not a 'Be-All-and-End-All' view. Intent's to thought-provoke, validate, reiterate and yes, even correct. Opinion to consider but agree to disagree. I don't enjoy conflicted exchanges, empty bravado or egoistical chest pounding. It's never personal, tribalistic or with malice. Frank by nature, means, I never bend the truth. Views are to broaden understanding - Updated: Nov 2021.

Yeah, I too enjoyed the first two in the series the most.

I found Prometheus below expectations. They are coming up with the sequel due next year called Alien: Covenant.

And that is after interviews where Ridley Scott said they would further distinguish from Aliens... Even Noomi Rapace (Elizabeth Shaw) is not returning for the sequel which is a bit strange to me.

Then there was supposed to be Neil Blomkamp's Alien 5 as well, fitting into the timeline between Aliens and Alien 3. But it is now on hold to avoid clashing with the release of Alien: Covenant. This fifth installment is supposed to feature Sigourney Weaver as Ellen Ripley again. How awesome!

Yeah, Sigourney!...At first had high hopes too, when they started the Alien vs Predator variation, but somehow the stories just ended up bland and predictable. If they could expand their universe a little, can become another Star Wars or Marvel!

11 hours ago, Cube3 said:

Yeah, Sigourney!...At first had high hopes too, when they started the Alien vs Predator variation, but somehow the stories just ended up bland and predictable. If they could expand their universe a little, can become another Star Wars or Marvel!

Always loved the mythical background of the Space Jockey, the origins of the Alien. Prometheus promised that and gave us something very very far away from it. Which is why I was so disappointed. AVP was a mess to be honest... Although it was nice exploring the Predalien in the second film.

At the end though, perhaps Alien is most successful with Sigourney in it.

Never considered the AVP series part of Alien franchise heheh blasphemous!  :)

** Comments are my opinions, same as yours. It's not a 'Be-All-and-End-All' view. Intent's to thought-provoke, validate, reiterate and yes, even correct. Opinion to consider but agree to disagree. I don't enjoy conflicted exchanges, empty bravado or egoistical chest pounding. It's never personal, tribalistic or with malice. Frank by nature, means, I never bend the truth. Views are to broaden understanding - Updated: Nov 2021.

• 4 years later...
3 hours ago, renoma1069 said:

Digging this out from BW blackhole where no one can hear you scream 😎

Was watching Prometheus again. Despite its flaws, ill-fated Shaw and deranged David are fascinating characters.

Hopeful for the new rumoured series, fingers crossed!

thanks for digging it out, i never would have seen it!

major Alien fan here - and totally gutted to see the continuation of the franchise with Covenant. 

Prometheus was so promising, and if i recall correctly, Ridley Scott actually intended it as a trilogy, which means the story was to continue.

due to poor reception, the studios forced him to abandon this approach. i also think his timing was off lah,

since Prometheus was the first Alien film helmed by its own creator since 1979 (!), audiences really wanted to see the iconic monster,

yet the story became about origins, humanoid engineers, and androids...it missed the mark.

since Disney acquired the rights, i am also hopeful for the whole franchise.

hmm, does this technically make Ripley a Disney princess now? 🤣

🌑🌒🌓🌔🌕🌖🌗🌘🌑

17 hours ago, tomcat said:

haha her theme song would probably be "nuke it (just to be safe)" !

With a secondary theme song heading along the lines of “Get Away from Her, You Bitch/ Bastard!” depending on the protean gender of the original xenomorph ancestor!

Majorly love the Alien series too and, to me, Scott’s primary film is by far still the best; a major issue with the studios and filmmakers now being a constant need to outdo every previous version and outsmart viewers’ expectations plot wise with each new one, leading to the current thorny state of Covenant. Isn’t it similar to the fate of Lucas’ original Star Wars trilogy legacy being marred by the insipid prequel trilogy? 

2 hours ago, HC-B said:

With a secondary theme song heading along the lines of “Get Away from Her, You Bitch/ Bastard!” depending on the protean gender of the original xenomorph ancestor!

Majorly love the Alien series too and, to me, Scott’s primary film is by far still the best; a major issue with the studios and filmmakers now being a constant need to outdo every previous version and outsmart viewers’ expectations plot wise with each new one, leading to the current thorny state of Covenant. Isn’t it similar to the fate of Lucas’ original Star Wars trilogy legacy being marred by the insipid prequel trilogy? 

This is NOT the same Hollywood post-2000. Too many good movies had been fucked up by cultural wars and diversity tokenism narratives. So much old iconic films should have been left untouched. Or rebooted.

Edited by upshot

On 1/15/2021 at 7:41 AM, HC-B said:

with the hit single "Game over man, Game over!" and "They come out at night. Mostly".

yea, as a kid i enjoyed Aliens, one of those show on heavy rotation after school. play until the VHS tape spoil!

but as i grew up, i began to appreciate the original 1979 classic more. the slow burn, the set design, the dynamics between the cast.

it is a masterclass in sci-fi horror, which Alien was the first in this genre. many years later can still understand why it was a gamechanger at the time.

i still enjoy Prometheus and Covenant, just cause it's newer, ooh but nothing beats the original!

🌑🌒🌓🌔🌕🌖🌗🌘🌑

On 1/19/2021 at 4:01 PM, tomcat said:

with the hit single "Game over man, Game over!" and "They come out at night. Mostly".

Bill Paxton !! One of my fav late actor... He play panic guy role damn well hehe.. Another great role in TRUE LIES where Arnold Threaten him for pretending to be a secret Agent and he claimed he peed in his pants... heheh

8 hours ago, renoma1069 said:

Anyone of you keeps memorabilia?

cool figure, that would be from AvP - the grid alien!

yah, i was dipping my toes but scared to go overboard with collecting. i have a few NECA figures, but frankly pretty bad quality.

so i only collect japanese models, mostly Kalyodo Revoltech. i found this strange translucent one in a vintage toyshop in Tokyo. 

it was part of a  Medicom set from the 90s i think? from old product pics, it was a cool grey translucent, but over time it was turned greenish haha.

and it is a tall boy at 12 inches tall. poseability is probably 6/10, but i just love its look!

29597507_1641912319179994_6330320877950629571141_1641912359179990_41894953275519

🌑🌒🌓🌔🌕🌖🌗🌘🌑

20 minutes ago, renoma1069 said:

Had the longest crush on Hicks haha 😊

haha, Hudson and Hicks both cute. this scene was like one of my early sexual awakenings! now that i am older, i think Gorman is hot too. and the black guy!

🌑🌒🌓🌔🌕🌖🌗🌘🌑

48 minutes ago, tomcat said:

cool figure, that would be from AvP - the grid alien!

29597507_1641912319179994_63303208779506

Ooo thanks for identifying the Grid Alien, I forgot the name and where it was from. The colour of yours reminds me of the Newborn, from Resurrection haha.

And actually Gorman is cute!

On and off will check some videos from the 'Alien Theory' channel, this is latest one.

26 minutes ago, renoma1069 said:

On and off will check some videos from the 'Alien Theory' channel, this is latest one.

the deacon is so unique cos it took so many steps to get it. but still it exhibited a lot weaker attributes in the afterbirth, remember the neomorph from Covenant. it was able to attack in minutes! did you follow through the Fire and Stone comic series? haha, honestly, kind of silly that the Deacon became a.....mountain!? 

i didn't like it at first, but i have a liking now for the "white" xenomorphs, like newborn and neomorph. i think it adds a bit of interest.

🌑🌒🌓🌔🌕🌖🌗🌘🌑

17 hours ago, tomcat said:

did you follow through the Fire and Stone comic series? haha, honestly, kind of silly that the Deacon became a.....mountain!? 

No, I googled, but don't find any online (free) version haha. You read it?

But I remember I bought some old issues from Bras Basah as a momento haha, the ones on sale lol, let me see if I can dig them out.

On 1/20/2021 at 8:38 AM, renoma1069 said:

Anyone of you keeps memorabilia?

Managed to dig out this only one I have, about 11cm, unfortunately 1 of the 4 back blades are missing, so did not assemble that.

20210119_085050.jpg

OG Creature concept by H. R. Giger still holds so well.

On 1/21/2021 at 12:25 PM, renoma1069 said:

No, I googled, but don't find any online (free) version haha. You read it?

But I remember I bought some old issues from Bras Basah as a momento haha, the ones on sale lol, let me see if I can dig them out.

can read in full here! https://readcomiconline.to/Comic/Prometheus-Fire-and-Stone

as well as the Omega storyline: https://readcomiconline.to/Comic/Prometheus-Fire-and-Stone-Omega/Full?id=134382

you have Alien to read this weekend! haha

🌑🌒🌓🌔🌕🌖🌗🌘🌑

@tomcat LOL my norton blocked the site 😪 i tried to continue, but not able to do so 😭

@upshot Now you mentioned giger, I remembered I have these haha:
(Alien) - LEFT Be@rbrick Series 31 (Horror)
(Aliens) - MIDDLE Be@rbrick Series 31 (Horror SECRET)
(Giger) - RIGHT Be@rbrick Series 12 (SF)

20210121_130800.jpg

Edited by renoma1069

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/4/2021 at 9:45 AM, renoma1069 said:

Dunno if you guys caught this last year, for anniversary 426, wonder if this year anniversary got anything similar...

A series of 6 shorts: Specimen, Alone, Harvest, Ore, Containment, Night Shift.

yeah, this one is the best out of the batch. good acting, nice tension and just showing enough of the facehugger to make it work.

also, the twist at the end with the synthetic doggie, so good!

the one i posted above had quite a few easter eggs: the iconic water drinker toy, physical puppetry effects done as similar to original Alien, and also the link back to Hadley's Hope which was the LV-426 colony in Aliens!

also looking forward to this year's Alien Day...not sure if there is anything big...

Edited by tomcat

🌑🌒🌓🌔🌕🌖🌗🌘🌑

every time i watch this, i always wondered what could have been! 

i wished whatever problems Ridley and Noomi had, they could have worked it out..

Elizabeth Shaw's story was cut way way too short, such a disservice to the character!

🌑🌒🌓🌔🌕🌖🌗🌘🌑

Sigourney Weaver so brilliantly anchored the series that it would be hard to find a worthy successor to continue. I did thought Noomi would take up the helm. IF they really come up with the tv series, hopefully can be a defining and lasting series *fingers crossed*, and not be a one-season disaster.

Came across this recently, the (feline) best supporting actor haha!

spacer.png

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 9/9/2021 at 4:11 PM, grippybananas said:

It's OK. You can tell it's not a very big budget game 

yes the ending a bit underwhelming. and i thought Alien Isolation's ending was already pretty meh.

the problem here is that each game tries to set itself up for a prequel or sequel, that all the endings become open-ended and inconclusive.

🌑🌒🌓🌔🌕🌖🌗🌘🌑