Male HQ

‘Overweight’ Could Actually Be The Healthiest Weight

Guest chub

Guest chub

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/overweight-could-actually-be-the-healthiest-095725467.html

People with an ‘overweight’ BMI (Body Mass Index) are more likely to live longer than those in the so-called ‘healthy’, ‘underweight’ and ‘obese’ categories, a new study clams.

Spanning four decades, the massive study carried out by Copenhagen University Hospital looked at the health data of a whopping 100,000 individuals.

The huge study isn’t suggesting that overweight people who shun exercise and gorge on fatty foods are healthy, rather that the definition of ‘overweight’, according to the BMI scale, needs revising.

According to the study, the BMI that carried the lowest risk of death went up from 23.7 in 1976 to 27 in 2013.

People with a BMI between 25 and 29.9 are considered to ‘overweight’, while a BMI of more than 30 sees individuals classified as ‘obese’.

The study also found that those in the ‘obese’ category had the same risk of death as those in the ‘normal’ category, even when factors such as family history of diseases were taken into account.

The new research isn’t the first to suggest that the BMI scale may not be an accurate indicator of health.

Earlier this year, a study showed that NFL star quarterback Tom Brady of the New England Patriots is classified as ‘obese’ by the BMI scale, despite being a musclebound professional sportsman with a high level of fitness.

There is nothing wrong with overweight or obese as long as one eat healthily and maintain a regular exercise regime

Stop discrimination to chub !!!

Stop discrimination to BMI > 25 guy !!!

Bmi is not accurate indicator where muscle is concerned..

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

never argue with the guests. let them bark all they want.

结缘不结

不解缘

After I have said what I wanna say, I don't care what you say.

看穿不说穿

1 hour ago, Guest said:

There is nothing wrong with overweight or obese as long as one eat healthily and maintain a regular exercise regime

Stop discrimination to chub !!!

Stop discrimination to BMI > 25 guy !!!

You shouldn't be overweight or obese if your diet and exercise regime is sufficient.

On 5/18/2016 at 11:46 AM, Guest chub said:

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/overweight-could-actually-be-the-healthiest-095725467.html

People with an ‘overweight’ BMI (Body Mass Index) are more likely to live longer than those in the so-called ‘healthy’, ‘underweight’ and ‘obese’ categories, a new study clams.

Spanning four decades, the massive study carried out by Copenhagen University Hospital looked at the health data of a whopping 100,000 individuals.

The huge study isn’t suggesting that overweight people who shun exercise and gorge on fatty foods are healthy, rather that the definition of ‘overweight’, according to the BMI scale, needs revising.

According to the study, the BMI that carried the lowest risk of death went up from 23.7 in 1976 to 27 in 2013.

People with a BMI between 25 and 29.9 are considered to ‘overweight’, while a BMI of more than 30 sees individuals classified as ‘obese’.

The study also found that those in the ‘obese’ category had the same risk of death as those in the ‘normal’ category, even when factors such as family history of diseases were taken into account.

The new research isn’t the first to suggest that the BMI scale may not be an accurate indicator of health.

Earlier this year, a study showed that NFL star quarterback Tom Brady of the New England Patriots is classified as ‘obese’ by the BMI scale, despite being a musclebound professional sportsman with a high level of fitness.

I don't really like how the author writes the article. The journal didn't claim such bold statements, but the media just fluff everything up. 

1) A: What the article said,"People with an ‘overweight’ BMI (Body Mass Index) are more likely to live longer than those in the so-called ‘healthy’, ‘underweight’ and ‘obese’ categories, a new study clams."

B: What the journal wrote,"The association of BMI with cardiovascular mortality and other mortality showed a similar pattern (Figure 2); however, the association with cancer mortality was not U-shaped, and the BMI associated with the lowest mortality could not be determined." Cancer mortality was not U shaped, so you can still die from cancer regardless of health status.

2) A: What the article wrote,"The huge study isn’t suggesting that overweight people who shun exercise and gorge on fatty foods are healthy, rather that the definition of ‘overweight’, according to the BMI scale, needs revising."

B: What the journal wrote," If this finding is confirmed in other studies, it would indicate a need to revise the WHO categories presently used to define overweight, which are based on data from before the 1990s." (Conveniently leaving out the front portion..confirmation is important!)

Guest Meaty uncle

I'm almost exactly on the line BMI 25, haha. The bears say I'm too thin, the twinks say I'm too fat. The normal BMI guys say I'm slightly fat 微胖大叔。Yet I find that I'm desired by all gay types haha , of course that's not everybody.

I exercise regularly and I feel very healthy. Though the BMI consider that I'm overweight, I don't let  some dead inflexible data bother me at all. 

Being slightly overweight is healthy because
1. a little fat helps keep my skin still smooth and supple at my middle age.
2. a little fat buffers against illnesses that make one thinner.
3. I've seen my elders got obese during middle age but yet become sickly and thin once pass 60 like Moses Lim is now. It's surprising but quite common because obesity related illnesses finally showed their effects. They are now finally thin but ironically that's caused by their previous obesity.

The study report is misleading as analysed by xydboy. So those buibui ones still have to exercise and lose weight hor.

Guest Healthy
5 hours ago, Guest Meaty uncle said:

I'm almost exactly on the line BMI 25, haha. The bears say I'm too thin, the twinks say I'm too fat. The normal BMI guys say I'm slightly fat 微胖大叔。Yet I find that I'm desired by all gay types haha , of course that's not everybody.

I exercise regularly and I feel very healthy. Though the BMI consider that I'm overweight, I don't let  some dead inflexible data bother me at all. 

Being slightly overweight is healthy because
1. a little fat helps keep my skin still smooth and supple at my middle age.
2. a little fat buffers against illnesses that make one thinner.
3. I've seen my elders got obese during middle age but yet become sickly and thin once pass 60 like Moses Lim is now. It's surprising but quite common because obesity related illnesses finally showed their effects. They are now finally thin but ironically that's caused by their previous obesity.

The study report is misleading as analysed by xydboy. So those buibui ones still have to exercise and lose weight hor.

Fully agreed with your thoughts and observations above.  I rather prefer to be slightly overweight than underweight and not to become a sickly thin person.  When sickness strikes, the slightly overweight ones have more body reserves to fend off the impact than the sickly and thin persons.

Overweight means you need stronger legs to support your body, so leg exercise is important and necessary. You also need a stronger heart due to the heavier weight. Overall, it is bad for those who hardly exercise.

• 3 months later...
  • Guest locked this topic