Male HQ

Is It A Must To Wear Sun Block For Swimming ?

Hi, I been swimming regularly for past 1 month . My swimming timing is 10 am - 12 noon . 

I noticed I got tanned darker which is inevitable. However I'm worried about skin cancer due to uv etc etc as I been swimming regularly . I'm not worried about cosmetic issue due to being darker etc etc 

Is it a must to wear sun block lotion for every swim session ? Note, I can't swim at night due to commitments . 

If if sun block is required , any brands to recommend ? 

Guest Swimmer

It's very damaging to your skin and you will age faster even if you put lots of sunblock  to prevent skin cancer..my advice stop before its too late .

Alternatively go to indoor pool like aquatic centre .

No need sun block . Just make sure you soak your body under water when you start to feel something .but must act fast

Please apply sunblock, any brand is fine, and try not to stay in the sun for too long, especially during that duration where the sun is directly overhead

even if there is cloud cover (cloudy day), there is still UV radiation, so you still have to apply sunblock

as long as u r expose to sun, whether swimming, under water or just out to buy lunch, is better to put on sun block, u may not feel the effect when u r still young but once u start to age, all problems will surface.......best time for swim when the sun is not so strong is between 8am to 10am and after 3pm.

• G_M changed the title to Is It A Must To Wear Sun Block For Swimming ?

If your skin starts to feel tingly, then yes, you are about to get sun burn. The tolerance vary from person to person. Also depending on the time of the day you are outside. Usually, between 11-2, the sun is strongest, so avoid the sun at that period. Also have your skin checked annually by dermatologist. 

Love. 

R u a nurse?

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

never argue with the guests. let them bark all they want.

结缘不结

不解缘

After I have said what I wanna say, I don't care what you say.

看穿不说穿

2 hours ago, kratos said:

Not sure if this is sarcastic or not...... it's just so wrong. 

I swim regularly. And has not applied sunblock. (Yet to know what harm sunblock might do to your body, but I do apply sun tan lotion last time lolz...) Vitamin D is good for your body. When you about to feel pain, soak whole body in water. Move around.   But my skin might differ from yours.

18 hours ago, SlimNurse said:

Hi, I been swimming regularly for past 1 month . My swimming timing is 10 am - 12 noon . 

I noticed I got tanned darker which is inevitable. However I'm worried about skin cancer due to uv etc etc as I been swimming regularly . I'm not worried about cosmetic issue due to being darker etc etc 

Is it a must to wear sun block lotion for every swim session ? Note, I can't swim at night due to commitments . 

The sun from 9am to 12noon is good for the body as it provides Vitamin E. But after 12 noon onwards, the sun is bad. Therefore, if you are swimming in the morning, its ok not to apply sun block, but if you are swimming after 12 noon, its advisable to apply sun block to protect from getting skin cancer.

Guest Skin care
18 hours ago, Guest Swimmer said:

It's very damaging to your skin and you will age faster even if you put lots of sunblock  to prevent skin cancer..my advice stop before its too late .

Alternatively go to indoor pool like aquatic centre .

I agree.  Not just skin cancer, UV rays will cause wrinkles, brown spots, etc. contributing to pre-mature aging.  Not only swimming, as long as you go outdoor, it is a good practice to apply sunblock SPF 30 and above.

Yes. Please use sunblock EVERY TIME u go swimming during the day. I did lotsa swimming n dragonboating in my teens. Never wore sunblock cos I never burnt.

Then in 2008/2009, I had a "mole" on my forearm that grew like real fast. Got it checked n it was cancerous. The doc cut out a chunk of flesh n theres now a scar on my left forearm.

Better b safe than sorry.

Slap on the sunblock. U dont have to burn to become more prone to cancer.

But its worse when u get burnt.

Slap some on even when the day is cloudy cos UV rays can fuck yr skin up n cancer can bite u in the ass years later.

Trust me. Ive bn there. 

Hope this helps.

Edited by PaterTenebrarum

I could be wrong, but believe i read/seen somewhere that the SPF xx means the protection in number of minutes you can stay under the sun. Just re-apply again after that period of time. Don't forget the ears.

Morning sun is good for creation of Vit D (body is not capable of producing). Vit D helps make calcium turn to bones, i think. Milk without Vit D is like drinking water. Not sure how long exposure should be, maybe 10-15 mins is enough?

Melanin (the thing that makes your skin colour dark) affects how badly you react to sun UV rays. White people tend to burn easier than asian (yellow) to malays/Indians (chocolate). You get the point. Skin damage is not visible on the skin surface, thus it takes years after exposure to reveal. The special doctors, called dermatologists do have equipment that can see below the skin and tell you how badly your skin is damaged and i believe its irreversible. Humans do die of skin cancer.

Bald people do get sun burn on their head, The protection is from the amount of hair you have on your head, else get a cap for swimming.

5 hours ago, Kimochi said:

I swim regularly. And has not applied sunblock. (Yet to know what harm sunblock might do to your body, but I do apply sun tan lotion last time lolz...) Vitamin D is good for your body. When you about to feel pain, soak whole body in water. Move around.   But my skin might differ from yours.

Moderation is the key.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2012/06/06/bill-mcelligott-sun-damage_n_1573546.html

22 hours ago, Kimochi said:

No need sun block . Just make sure you soak your body under water when you start to feel something .but must act fast

this sounds so wrong, due to refraction of rays, u actually get tanned faster (subjected to more rays) under water

there are 2 types of UV rays UVA and UVB.

SPF protects you against UVB that penerates on the outer layer of your skin causing sunburns. best to get something spf50 and above because the higher it goes, the heavier and oily-er the sunblock will get and you will get acnes and other things if your pores are blocked

PA protects you from UVA which is the one that can penetrate skin deep causing aging, skin cancer etc....... best to get something with 4 + like PA++++ 

many products now have indication of both the SPF and PA so read the product carefully

As for Vit D, yes, it is somehow in a research published recently that many people are suffering from vit D deficiency due to lack of sun exposure and overuse of sunblock. the skin needs to be exposed to the sun for 15min each day to produce the required vit D but having said that egg yolks and other food are a source of vit D as well.

in the same research, they also talked about the deadly chemicals used in sunblock that could be potentially cancerous as well but like many others, i dont understand them and i believe it should be a reasonable amt that the human can take so i didnt really bother that much cos there isnt an organic/natural sunblock available unlike soaps and shampoo

im not an expert in this area, just sharing what i know, so probably the experts can add on

11 hours ago, DeMarko said:

The sun from 9am to 12noon is good for the body as it provides Vitamin E. But after 12 noon onwards, the sun is bad. Therefore, if you are swimming in the morning, its ok not to apply sun block, but if you are swimming after 12 noon, its advisable to apply sun block to protect from getting skin cancer.

I think you mean Vitamin D NOT E.

** Comments are my opinions, same as yours. It's not a 'Be-All-and-End-All' view. Intent's to thought-provoke, validate, reiterate and yes, even correct. Opinion to consider but agree to disagree. I don't enjoy conflicted exchanges, empty bravado or egoistical chest pounding. It's never personal, tribalistic or with malice. Frank by nature, means, I never bend the truth. Views are to broaden understanding - Updated: Nov 2021.

On 22/05/2016 at 6:04 PM, wintersnow said:

there are 2 types of UV rays UVA and UVB.

SPF protects you against UVB that penerates on the outer layer of your skin causing sunburns. best to get something spf50 and above because the higher it goes, the heavier and oily-er the sunblock will get and you will get acnes and other things if your pores are blocked

PA protects you from UVA which is the one that can penetrate skin deep causing aging, skin cancer etc....... best to get something with 4 + like PA++++ 

many products now have indication of both the SPF and PA so read the product carefully

As for Vit D, yes, it is somehow in a research published recently that many people are suffering from vit D deficiency due to lack of sun exposure and overuse of sunblock. the skin needs to be exposed to the sun for 15min each day to produce the required vit D but having said that egg yolks and other food are a source of vit D as well.

in the same research, they also talked about the deadly chemicals used in sunblock that could be potentially cancerous as well but like many others, i dont understand them and i believe it should be a reasonable amt that the human can take so i didnt really bother that much cos there isnt an organic/natural sunblock available unlike soaps and shampoo

im not an expert in this area, just sharing what i know, so probably the experts can add on

Useful. Add on on spf.

Spf 30 is enough esp for ppl with oily skin. Anything above 30 increases at an decreasing rate n hence not worthy of the price we pay. Important is to apply constantly if u remain outdoor as frequent as possible once u feel it is gone. 

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

never argue with the guests. let them bark all they want.

结缘不结

不解缘

After I have said what I wanna say, I don't care what you say.

看穿不说穿

Guest Tanned

I used to be like TS, purposely exposed myself to the strong sunlight to get myself tanned, but I did apply sunblock on my face and tanning oil on my body.

Nowadays, when I swim under the hot sun, I will still apply sunblock and tanning oil, but I furthur protect myself by coming out of the pool once I am done with my laps. Last time I would tan for an hour and then swim for another hour or so, totalling around 2 hours, which was pretty long and damaging to the skin.

Now that I am older, I can feel the side effects of past exposure to sunlight on my skin.

I was using MUJI sunblock with SPF of 25 but am using Banana boat tanning oil now.

If I use SPF 50 & above, I can forget about tanning at all. My skin is highly resistant to tanning. 

Image00109.jpg

I'm always running after you.

You are my ideal.

You are me.

13 hours ago, lonelyglobe said:

yes, every part that will be exposed to the sun, some area that often miss out: back of the ear, back of palm and fingers, feet and toes.

After effect of no sunscreen/sunblock can be very sexy as well.

Example: https://deathblade88.tumblr.com/post/109065152055/nicktop1069-%E6%80%A7%E6%84%9F%E9%BB%9D%E9%BB%91%E8%86%9A%E8%89%B2%E6%B3%B3%E8%A4%B2%E7%97%95%E4%B8%8A%E7%BF%B9%E5%A4%A7%E7%B2%97%E5%B1%8C%E6%95%91%E7%94%9F%E5%93%A1

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
Guest InBangkok
On 5/26/2016 at 5:47 PM, Sg boi said:

This thread seem abit redundant it's personal preference anyway. Just like is it a must to wear underwear that kind.

Personal preference? I guess the same way someone not using sunscreen prefers to find his skin ageing faster than others and opens himself to the possibility of skin cancer, especially in the tropics or where there are holes in the ozone layer - as in Australia. Note that the effects on your skin from not using sunscreen will not appear in days or weeks. It takes many years, even decades. Do you want your skin to appear like a 60 year old's when you are in your 40s?

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
Guest Terence

Believe it or not, I also put it on at night time whenever I swim. My professor in NUS told us that UV rays are also working at night especially during full moon.

• 8 months later...
Guest BoBo58

After swimming for just 30 mins yesterday, my skin color turns dark. Do we really need to apply sunscreeen to prevent it from happening?

Guest Hi I'm Bi

Apply sunscreen with high SPF 50. After sunning or swimming apply after sun lotion to moisturize. If you don't you might get ezcema - little raised bumps on the skin,  very itchy.  Take ages to clear.

Especially public pools, have a thorough shower after your swim  before applying after sun care.

5 hours ago, Guest BoBo58 said:

After swimming for just 30 mins yesterday, my skin color turns dark. Do we really need to apply sunscreeen to prevent it from happening?

It helps for sure unless swimming indoor (night) or at a pool for very short period of time for example. It is more vital when you are at the beach where salt water will have more of an effect on your sun burn and getting burnt more quickly. If you already had a tan, it is not too late to apply it.

Sun screen's not something you apply one time and rest of the day you are fine with one application. Depending on how long you are staying at the beach or pool ( and under the sun or partial time), there are difference SPF strength and frequency of time you need to REAPPLY it for that day. Perspiration, contact with clothing and swimming in water will slowly wash the lotion off your skin thus you need to reapply for maximum coverage. 

You do not need to use SPF50 (the higher the numbers the more thick the cream) it depends on where you use it at and purpose. You can get information to buy the right SPF strength for your application from sun block/lotion maker's site.

Edited by upshot

** Comments are my opinions, same as yours. It's not a 'Be-All-and-End-All' view. Intent's to thought-provoke, validate, reiterate and yes, even correct. Opinion to consider but agree to disagree. I don't enjoy conflicted exchanges, empty bravado or egoistical chest pounding. It's never personal, tribalistic or with malice. Frank by nature, means, I never bend the truth. Views are to broaden understanding - Updated: Nov 2021.

5 hours ago, Guest BoBo58 said:

Definitely necessary. SPF factor 50 or minimum 30. And remember it takes time for sunscreen to work on your skin. So apply to dry skin at least 15 minutes before exposure to the sun. Not easy i know if you only have a limited time in the pool. But that's what the health experts recommend.

Edited by InBangkok

Guest Uncle
On 5/21/2016 at 4:30 PM, SlimNurse said:

Such a stupid question!!! Aiyo, even my grandma wouldn't ask this? Omg

• G_M locked this topic